Server Downtime 21/02 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kruzenstern

Please equalize the number of destroyers per team in non-standard battles at least

6 comments in this topic

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
723 posts
2,872 battles

Seriously, it is getting ridiculous. Aside from the fact that with all those new Domination and Encounter maps I am getting 80% battles of those game types that I thoroughly do NOT enjoy, most of them are actually foregone conclusions. Because the matchmaker seems to balance ships by CVs, BBs and CAs, and then use DDs to fix any imbalances it sees. Which leads to a lot of battles where one side has higher tiers, but the other has 2-4 extra ships and on top of that also more DDs. Now with tiers being relatively meaningless (especially with DDs, e.g. four Isokazes are infinitely more useful than two tier8 DDs, but also with others, like Fuso >> Nagato and Cleveland >= Tier7,8,9 US CA) , but # of hulls and especially # of DDs being totally decisive in those game modes where it is all about capping, there are a lot of matches where one side right from the start has virtually no chance to win. DDs are just totally OP in cap gaming with their evading, good camo, torps and smoke, and with BBs being coveted by the mentally challenged and standing out from the Caps as far as possible and most cruisers being dead meat if they go into the caps early, if there is an imbalance in DDs, one team can often cap multiple points completely unchallenged.

So please, can we get at least equal number of ships and DDs enforced for Domination and Encounter battles? If the MM really is still struggling to put matches together due to low player numbers (which I kinda doubt but okay...), I would much rather be down a few tiers than a few ships in those cap-centered game modes.

Or better yet, gimme the option to turn them off. Yesterday I was very close to uninstalling and going back to playing WoT, where I can at least turn off the unfun modes, after 8 straight losses in exclusively Domination and Encounter, with 6 of them being on the team that was short on ships. In one battle we actually had NO DD at all, the other had 3....

• Cool 3

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
520 posts
2,891 battles

^ It may be that your point hints at the new "design philosophy", mate, but I think you're approaching a solution from the wrong angle: with the global ice-skating mode engaged turn-rate buff, battleships are much more able to avoid torpedoes (whether air or surface launched) now, which makes them far less vulnerable full stop (as torping the damn things was mostly the thing that kept them honest before).

So, if people now want to play DDs, their line of thinking goes: "Well, last game I got within point-blank range of a broadside-on BB & still couldn't torp i successfully, so stuff trying to torp the damn things, I'm a-gonna just cap & hide this game NYEEH-NYEEH-NYEEH-NYEEH-NYAH".

The mass swing in the effectiveness of BBs (no hard counters now, really) means an entire change in philosophy for everyone else.

This has a knock-on effect as BBs still don't go back to defend caps etc, so the whole tenor of the game changes, & you'll see a lot more of these unsatisfying endings as people look to do something else in their ship rather than be suicide fodder.

I don't think nerfing the numbers of DDs (or any other class) is a viable solution though. Returning to other classes the ability to hurt BBs reliably (in situations where they are at a tactical disadvantage, ambushes & being caught out alone etc etc) would mean DD players want to do something other than capture the base... & the only way to do that without further messing with the balance is to reduce the turn-rates of ships again.

Just imo, like. Again I'd like to reiterate I do see your point, I just don't think you can fix it the way you're suggesting as they've made non-battleship gameplay more unsatisfying as it is...

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
723 posts
2,872 battles

^ It may be that your point hints at the new "design philosophy", mate, but I think you're approaching a solution from the wrong angle: with the global ice-skating mode engaged turn-rate buff, battleships are much more able to avoid torpedoes (whether air or surface launched) now, which makes them far less vulnerable full stop (as torping the damn things was mostly the thing that kept them honest before).

So, if people now want to play DDs, their line of thinking goes: "Well, last game I got within point-blank range of a broadside-on BB & still couldn't torp i successfully, so stuff trying to torp the damn things, I'm a-gonna just cap & hide this game NYEEH-NYEEH-NYEEH-NYEEH-NYAH".

The mass swing in the effectiveness of BBs (no hard counters now, really) means an entire change in philosophy for everyone else.

This has a knock-on effect as BBs still don't go back to defend caps etc, so the whole tenor of the game changes, & you'll see a lot more of these unsatisfying endings as people look to do something else in their ship rather than be suicide fodder.

I don't think nerfing the numbers of DDs (or any other class) is a viable solution though. Returning to other classes the ability to hurt BBs reliably (in situations where they are at a tactical disadvantage, ambushes & being caught out alone etc etc) would mean DD players want to do something other than capture the base... & the only way to do that without further messing with the balance is to reduce the turn-rates of ships again.

Just imo, like. Again I'd like to reiterate I do see your point, I just don't think you can fix it the way you're suggesting as they've made non-battleship gameplay more unsatisfying as it is...

Umm, I still sink BBs fine in DDs. You just have to anticipate more and not just slavishly shoot at where the indicator tells you. And with the recent HE overbuff, I hurt them fine as well with cruisers and gun destroyers.

Nevermind that this problem has existed before the patch as well, it just got worse by more maps with the accursed game modes, not by the drifting stuff.

Also I am not proposing to nerf the number of DDs. I don't care whether its 6 of them or two of them. I just want both teams to have the same number. I clarified the title in that regard.

Edited by Kruzenstern

Alpha Tester
168 posts
1,917 battles

I'm not sure its a good time to judge the MM given a lot of people are testing the new BBs and CVs. It may even out as time goes by.

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
723 posts
2,872 battles

I'm not sure its a good time to judge the MM given a lot of people are testing the new BBs and CVs. It may even out as time goes by.

Like I said, the same thing has been happening left and right before the patch too, it just got worse by more Encounters and Dominations...
Edited by Kruzenstern

Beta Tester
1,151 posts

Agree with the OP. Its not much fun when on a team with two carriers who are both fighter configuration and getting faced of against an enemy team who has 6 DD compared to our 2. And funnily enough this happens quite a lot considering it should be a corner case at best.

Sign in to follow this