You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
png_1941

Destroyers!!!

55 comments in this topic

[OUZO]
Players
60 posts
13,031 battles

I want to make a remark about destroyers.
I don't think it's fair to have four of them in a battle.especially for players who play with ......battleship's 

• Funny 19
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 13

[CATS]
Players
29,752 posts
15,323 battles

That is completly fair since your team has also 4 DD.

Support them and the number of enemy DD will go down quickly. Hide and the number of friendly DD will go down quickly. Your choice.

• Cool 23

[2DQT]
Players
404 posts
3,590 battles
1 hour ago, kratos_1962 said:

I don't think it's fair to have four of them in a battle.especially for players who play with ......battleship's 

Are you just very bored and trolling ? Don't. Find out how you can help others in your community. 

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
20,067 battles
2 hours ago, kratos_1962 said:

As you can see, Kratos, you have touched on a sensitive subject.

My advice...

Make the best of what matchmaking gives you. Both teams are the same in classes. 

If you have lots of DDs, support them in tackling the red team's DDs. If you see a red DD, shoot it, if you see a red Radar Cruiser, kill it first, even before the red DD, this gives your team the best chance to win.

If there's a carrier, provide AA coverage near the Caps for the DDs to stand a chance. 

DDs have the hardest job on the team, be grateful if you have a lot of them. Help them. 

If you do not have enough, it's because the players who normally play them have been crapped on by their own team. 

And then, 'who are you going to call?' when the red scariest come calling?

:cap_haloween:

#loveyourdds

Edited by Cambera_1
Spelling
  • Cool 10

[KOKOS]
Players
460 posts
6,789 battles

I understand, it gets tiring to play against the wave of DDs that are online since the release of the EU tree, but it will pass.

Play BB: Stay back or you become DD fodder/permaspotted

Play CL: Go in and hunt those DDs, but if the BBs stay back it will be a suicide mission more often than not.

Play CV: Hunt DDs all day long, every battle from start to finish - not very exciting and puts quite the pressure on you.

Play DD yourself: Play a gunboat or you will have a hard time against those Skanes, Ölands and Östergötlands, and even then those fast torps make it pretty hard to work with eg a hydro/smoke trap.

But worse than the numbers, is the general imbalance of player skill and the large number of battles that are lost because only one team has experienced DD players, who need 5 minutes to mop the floor with your casuals, and then it's just a long wait until you see the "Defeat" screen.

Let me also take the opportunity to call the whole fast-reloading-weak-hitting-torps concept into question, because it's so obvious to recognize who is using flooding flags and who isn't, when you are on the receiving end. Floods are the only really dangerous part about them, or you could eat those baby torps all day long. It's basically the HE-spam and DOT meta applied to torpedos. Don't know if this sets a good precedent.

Fun to play those ships, though.

• Cool 1

[OCTO]
Players
465 posts
19,814 battles

DESTROYERS!!......have been power-crept out of the game by wall to wall radar and the cv rework. If you are getting torped by DD's and getting sunk repeatedly, you might want to try zigzagging, starting you engine and/or not bow tank for 10 minutes etc. Review you play style before blaming a class that has been power-crept out of the game.

• Cool 6

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
20,067 battles
4 minutes ago, genosse said:

... worse than the numbers, is the general imbalance of player skill and the large number of battles that are lost because only one team has experienced DD players

If you watch the team that has the experienced DD players, you will normally see that they supported their DDs in the early stages of the match, thereby allowing their DDs to gain the upper hand. 

Good DDs need good support from friendly Cruisers, Battleships and Carriers. If the battleships and cruisers stay back in spawn, especially in a CV match, nine times out of ten, you will lose if the reds are supporting their DDs. 

• Cool 12

[KOKOS]
Players
460 posts
6,789 battles
2 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

If you watch the team that has the experienced DD players, you will normally see that they supported their DDs in the early stages of the match, thereby allowing their DDs to gain the upper hand. 

Good DDs need good support from friendly Cruisers, Battleships and Carriers. If the battleships and cruisers stay back in spawn, especially in a CV match, nine times out of ten, you will lose if the reds are supporting their DDs. 

Agreed, but it's often a chicken/egg problem where BBs and cruisers blame the DDs for not spotting, and the DDs blame them for lack of support. It's difficult to work out in a random team, unless everyone is individually very confident about the role they have to play in a battle. But it's not just the DDs that are to blame, that is true.

• Cool 4

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
20,067 battles
1 minute ago, genosse said:

Agreed, but it's often a chicken/egg problem where BBs and cruisers blame the DDs for not spotting, and the DDs blame them for lack of support. It's difficult to work out in a random team, unless everyone is individually very confident about the role they have to play in a battle.

'Behind every good xxx DD is a great xxxxx CA/CL/BB' 

Without both you will struggle. 

#loveyourdds

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1

Players
2,463 posts

@kratos_1962 Do you play DD's yourself?

When you say four DD's do you mean per team or game total?

Oh and finally why is it unfair for the BB's it isn't as if you don't have DD's on your team is it...

@genosse A good DD players knows his team within the first 5 minutes of the game...

If you head for a cap zone and your section leaves you alone, if they refuse to target the Des Moines, the Moskva, Stalingrad, Alaska despite your F3 requests then as a DD player you know you're on your own...

If they're with you then it usually mean defeat for your enemy unless they're switched on too where it becomes a good game.

@Cambera_1 Nice analogy, couldn't have put it better myself.

• Cool 3

[LUZ1]
Players
1,160 posts
13,811 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

That is completly fair since your team has also 4 DD.

Support them and the number of enemy DD will go down quickly. Hide and the number of friendly DD will go down quickly. Your choice.

This. :cap_horn:

• Cool 2

[NECRO]
Players
2,433 posts
Vor 1 Stunde, kratos_1962 sagte:

Do you have even a vague idea of the DD : BB ratio in naval history? I give you a hint: It was much higher than in this game, for a multitude of reasons. And not only in Russia. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[LUZ1]
Players
1,160 posts
13,811 battles
27 minutes ago, genosse said:

Agreed, but it's often a chicken/egg problem where BBs and cruisers blame the DDs for not spotting, and the DDs blame them for lack of support. It's difficult to work out in a random team, unless everyone is individually very confident about the role they have to play in a battle. But it's not just the DDs that are to blame, that is true.

And it is here that true skill shows. Looking at the minimap and knowing how close or distant you need to be is crucial. So many times you either get no support or ships just expose themselves fatally by getting too close into a crossfire. 

It is understanding that sweet spot and adjusting frequently to new information and the developing situation that makes the difference between an average and a great player.

Gameplay in random is quite bad now because there are too few players that have this level of skill.

• Cool 6

Players
1,278 posts
9,963 battles

A lot of time these challenges are best dealt with by working with your team.

Lots of DD's? Work with your own team's cruisers and destroyers. Come behind them (but not too far behind, not necessary when they're screening and spotting for you).

If you sail in glorious isolation in a BB with unlocated DD's in game, that's on you.

Also, if  you sail in glorious isolation in a DD in a game with CV's, that's on you.

• Cool 3

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

Is this a Wined up?.   Having 4 DD’s makes it more interesting for everyone and at the very least it’s harder to be singled out by a cv, than having just one, unless it’s something like a Kidd.

• Cool 2

[-QQ-]
Players
99 posts
5,775 battles
1 hour ago, Gudgeon said:

DESTROYERS!!......have been power-crept out of the game by wall to wall radar and the cv rework. If you are getting torped by DD's and getting sunk repeatedly, you might want to try zigzagging, starting you engine and/or not bow tank for 10 minutes etc. Review you play style before blaming a class that has been power-crept out of the game.

Yes, Destroyers should be able to stealth fire and farm BB and CA piniatas all day long!  They were so powercrept that in good hands they can massively influence battle outcome.

1 hour ago, genosse said:

But worse than the numbers, is the general imbalance of player skill and the large number of battles that are lost because only one team has experienced DD players, who need 5 minutes to mop the floor with your casuals, and then it's just a long wait until you see the "Defeat" screen.

This! Look closely what few minutes "14:1 roflstomps" have in common, in most cases one team has competent DD's while the other loses its sight in first few minutes of the battle being pushed into map corner.

[PN4VY]
Players
358 posts
7,090 battles
2 hours ago, kratos_1962 said:

The problem with 4 destroyers is that it is an overkill for the objective and the game play, not for the battleships.

As you start getting experience in bbs (and dds which you are highly adviced to play) you will start staying right outside of their torp range even when pushing.
You ll develop a feeling for where a long-time-now-unspotted enemy dd might be and you ll start navigating accordingly ( change speed from full to 2/4ths, start turning for 15sec to one direction, then accelerate to the other, never sail to a straight line for more than 20-30sec etc).
Unless you are isolated a dd should not be a problem.
And i would like to also point out that you can take 2-4 torps in the time span of a match in a bb (depending ofc in the type of bb and dd) without a problem. What you should be afraid of is full torp salvos coming to your broadside from close distance and NOT eating 1 or 2 while you are sailing angled somewhere.

If you are struggling with avoiding torps i advice you to play the usn dds t4 clemson and t5 nicolas to see how ambushes work and also how hard it can be to hit your torps even at close range and also play the IJN dd line up to t7 shiratsuyu with trb.

[CATS]
Players
29,752 posts
15,323 battles
20 minutes ago, Ouzo11 said:

The problem with 4 destroyers is that it is an overkill for the objective and the game play, not for the battleships.

Not really. Two DD can easily work together, which would allow playing comfortably with 6 DD per side on most maps.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Players
2,061 posts
8,583 battles

It's quite unbalanced in a CV match. The team with more high AA DDs (Hallands) has much more chance to win. For instance when you have 3 Hallands in the read team while your team has only one.

Players
2,463 posts
1 minute ago, Ocsimano18 said:

It's quite unbalanced in a CV match. The team with more high AA DDs (Hallands) has much more chance to win. For instance when you have 3 Hallands in the read team while your team has only one.

Then the other DD's ensure the enemy 'Hallands' are spotted so that the Cruisers can kill them and they throw a few torps at them for good measure...

I hate people who decide a game is lost before the game has begun just because they see the lineup.... I have seen pretty powerful teams fold and fall...

• Cool 6

Players
2,061 posts
8,583 battles
1 minute ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Then the other DD's ensure the enemy 'Hallands' are spotted so that the Cruisers can kill them and they throw a few torps at them for good measure...

I hate people who decide a game is lost before the game has begun just because they see the lineup.... I have seen pretty powerful teams fold and fall...

It's rather like the non AA DDs get spotted by the enemy CVs, while the red Hallands are not, so the non AA DDs get killed, while the Hallands thrive.

Players
2,463 posts
6 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

It's rather like the non AA DDs get spotted by the enemy CVs, while the red Hallands are not, so the non AA DDs get killed, while the Hallands thrive.

Then the fault there lies with the Allied CV not the DD's... because a CV can detect a Halland.

Players
3,538 posts
4 hours ago, kratos_1962 said:

Oh you could always balance it with two CV's:Smile_veryhappy:

Players
2,061 posts
8,583 battles
19 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Then the fault there lies with the Allied CV not the DD's... because a CV can detect a Halland.

Yes it can detect it, while loosing the planes.