Aerroon

Hotspot map

49 comments in this topic

[PRAVD]
Community Contributor
1,937 posts
8,329 battles

Hotspot map needs to be rebalanced and/or removed ASAP. Either that or add a way to veto maps.

The ocean map was already stupid enough, couldn't your designers at least think even A LITTLE about how to design a map for CVs?

It's fairly easy to spot that the person who designed it did not take carriers into account at all in random battles. I guess the whole update was a CV nerffest so maybe it was done intentionally? Didn't anybody go "hey, we're spawning people less than 27km apart, you do know we have ships with a weapons range of 30km, right?!"

Right now in a CV when I get that map I just want to close the game because there's very little point in actually playing it - half the time someone breaks through and just kills you outright. In the past 2 days I have went to play another game because of that map at least 4 times already and I doubt I'm the only CV player that feels that way.

Edited by Aerroon
  • Cool 6

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
616 posts
9,752 battles

Yea, true, you can't go unspoted with carrier on that map, which means you get shot 2-3mins into the game.

But why do you dislike the Ocean map, for me it's the best map ever, as you are always in combat, but you still retain your battle line.

• Cool 2

[PRAVD]
Community Contributor
1,937 posts
8,329 battles

Yea, true, you can't go unspoted with carrier on that map, which means you get shot 2-3mins into the game.

But why do you dislike the Ocean map, for me it's the best map ever, as you are always in combat, but you still retain your battle line.

Because who you encounter and where enemies are is completely based on luck. You can't know ahead where more or less the enemy forces will be like on other maps, because there is nothing to shape where enemies will go. On maps like North there's a good reason why battleships gravitate towards the open sea side and don't go behind the big island - nothing like that exists on Ocean, and because of that it's difficult to make a plan on what you want to do. If I am in a slow ship and pick a direction and find that I meet heavy resistance and can't fight those enemies then I just have to double back and spend 5 minutes sailing through the empty ocean doing nothing at all (or dying while charging something I shouldn't).

Although, defense games on Ocean are really fun. I have a video of a game where we did an amazing defense.

But yeah, the main issue with Hotspot is the carrier placement - it's very difficult to get stuff done because half the times you'll just die outright.

[-DNA-]
Beta Tester
15 posts

Because who you encounter and where enemies are is completely based on luck. You can't know ahead where more or less the enemy forces will be like on other maps, because there is nothing to shape where enemies will go. On maps like North there's a good reason why battleships gravitate towards the open sea side and don't go behind the big island - nothing like that exists on Ocean, and because of that it's difficult to make a plan on what you want to do. If I am in a slow ship and pick a direction and find that I meet heavy resistance and can't fight those enemies then I just have to double back and spend 5 minutes sailing through the empty ocean doing nothing at all (or dying while charging something I shouldn't).

Although, defense games on Ocean are really fun. I have a video of a game where we did an amazing defense.

But yeah, the main issue with Hotspot is the carrier placement - it's very difficult to get stuff done because half the times you'll just die outright.

Not to mention the Ocean map is really small and you get spotted even faster then in hot spot (at least if you're a BB). In my Fuso i have actually spotted enemy BB's before the game even start it's that small...

Beta Tester
186 posts
4,413 battles

At first I thought the same thing, but given that I played my CV rather close to the battlefield on purpose anyway I like that map. Just go for either North or South and you simply have to defeat what comes your way.

[PRAVD]
Community Contributor
1,937 posts
8,329 battles

At first I thought the same thing, but given that I played my CV rather close to the battlefield on purpose anyway I like that map. Just go for either North or South and you simply have to defeat what comes your way.

And what do you do when they have equivalently tiered battleships? You know, the ones that can shoot you from their spawn to your spawn. That has happened to me more than once - enough planes in the air to scout me and just get shelled by BBs.

Beta Tester
202 posts
3,356 battles

Hotspot is just a badly designed map full stop. There are too many capture points and they're too close together, there should be three with two shifted into the island clusters so you can't just shell caps from other caps. The spawns are idiotic, with ships in firing range from two sides at game start, leading to a confused game where the team fragments. That leads to the team that doesn't break up as much normally winning. 

Beta Tester
47 posts

Hotspot simply doesn't work. Every time, the same thing happens, one side pincers and crushes half of the enemy team at which point a win is inevitable. A map that plays the same every time is a bad map.

Alpha Tester
2,464 posts
7,357 battles

Have to agree. It's near impossible to stay unspoted on Hot Spot and when you are you are gonna get hunted and there is nothing you can do about it, specially if your side falls apart.

A real pain to play.

Beta Tester
6 posts
5,639 battles

The map itself and more points of interest on it is a good idea. The deployment is awful and very random.

Beta Tester
186 posts
4,413 battles

And what do you do when they have equivalently tiered battleships? You know, the ones that can shoot you from their spawn to your spawn. That has happened to me more than once - enough planes in the air to scout me and just get shelled by BBs.

That is why you take the north or the south, the mountains are high enough to block the shots and end of the day if they are shooting you, then your same tiered ships are shooting them without return fire. It ain't perfect and sometimes if both corners randomly go for your quadrant it is tough but it ain't unplayable if you take the poles.

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,049 posts
8,342 battles

I have had fun on the map... with DDs and BBs. Not Cruisers and certainly not CVs. CVs in particular are downright painful. Sure charge in a direction and die because people prefer to focus carriers, or the teammates scatter to all winds. It is just a really bad map when it comes to the spawns, and I would very much like to be able to veto it. Let the DDs and BBs keep it, and the let the CVs out that hell.

Beta Tester
95 posts
4,111 battles

Personally I like the map but it needs some rethinking when it comes to either amount of points needed for a win(1500-2000), or amount of capture-points. It would also do good with an increase in time needed for successful capture in center, seen too many games end within 2-4 minutes because one team of DD's swarm center. Only solution I personally see with the CV-problem is to spawn teams on same side but split in half. Not sure how that would play tho.

[VV]
[VV]
Beta Tester
347 posts
23,729 battles

I love the way people are bad at a particular map so they just hate it and think it is stupid.

A better outlook for games and life in general, is to think about how to approach it differently. What goes wrong on the map, and how can I improve? It is the same for both teams, why does one have the advantage to pincer the other. Get your team organized???

I love it as a map as it is totally intense and plays very different from the others. I just wish those two BBs left alive at the end of the game would get more involved (you know there's always a couple who lurk at the edge like they're playing one of the other maps).

Edited by Shagulon

Alpha Tester
34 posts
3,306 battles

I love the way people are bad at a particular map so they just hate it and think it is stupid.

A better outlook for games and life in general, is to think about how to approach it differently. What goes wrong on the map, and how can I improve? It is the same for both teams, why does one have the advantage to pincer the other. Get your team organized???

I love it as a map as it is totally intense and plays very different from the others. I just wish those two BBs left alive at the end of the game would get more involved (you know there's always a couple who lurk at the edge like they're playing one of the other maps).

I never ever play CVs (not my thing) but even I can see that this map is utterly crap when playing a CV.

Say you start bottom right, your team goes north to meet the enemy, the enemy from you bottom left also comes over to harass, meaning you are stuck between a rock and a hard place, and well.. you cannot stick close to your friendly ships either because you WILL be focused. 

CVs need to stay out of gun/vision range of the enemy, and they just cant do that on this map.

Weekend Tester
916 posts
1,191 battles

Well I played as IJN CV on this map a couple times, and it is not that horrible cause of their good camouflage rating and raw bomber squadron power. But try that map in a Lexington, it's utter pain and on top of its bad camouflage rating, you get only one TB squad, so you cannot even push one side for your team and make some breathing space by that like in IJN CVs. Even more like others said, when the enemy side executes pincer manuever on your group, you are completely screwed. Nowhere to run nor hide, spotted from miles away. That's the problem of this map, your life cannot be based on pure luck if the enemy team decides to do the pincer or not.
Edited by czNemesis

[VV]
[VV]
Beta Tester
347 posts
23,729 battles

yes agreed, but CVs are generally used to all other mapsbeing the last ones alive, and often surviving even when the rest of your team are dead... Its ok to die fairly quickly sometimes.

Like I said, the double pincer is the same for both teams.

I like hot spot as it is very quick and intense. Everyone literally has to just go for it from the start.

Adapt, survive, win :)

Beta Tester
1,746 posts
1,390 battles

When I play a CV on that map, the trick is to organise the people on both ends. So far, I've actually outlasted everyone on it in my Lexington.

But then, I might have aerial superiority, I can't do anything against ground targets if the enemy team consists mostly of cruisers and with the turn rate increase, one torp bomber is hardly enough to get torps on target.

Alpha Tester
560 posts
999 battles

Spawnpoints need to be changed, simple as that, otherwise i like the map

Edited by Smi2k

Supertester, Master Pirate
641 posts
10,098 battles

TL;DR at the bottom

The map in itself has its design concepts that I like, its just that its too small

First of all, the spawns cause splits in the forces where the only way to link them is to fight an opposing force that will probably also be trying to rejoin their own friendly force (or you have top left chasing top right which is chasing bottom right which is chasing bottom left, this huge wierd circle going on)

I can understand the concept of an attack from all sides into the center, if that was the original goal, but if you think about it, doing that with a larger ship is quite silly, you get caught in a crossfire where you can be potentially fired upon by multiple opponents while you can only fire back on one side (unless youre skilled enough to have one set of turrets pointing in opposite directions, which is just silly anyway). This results in DDs going middle and everything else splitting into the more open areas where BBs fight each other

This center of the map focus would work much better if the spawns were at least somewhat side based (left/right or top/bottom), or at the very least make sure any friendly force can reach another friendly force without having to fight an equally large enemy force thats trying to do the same.

This can be done by changing spawns into a diagonal across the map somewhat like Islands of Ice

Secondly, this map in domination mode with 5 control points is redundant since the control points are too close to each other, rendering the flanks of the map tactically unimportant. Also, 5 capture points is quite redundant. This combined with the spawn system makes it worse.

One potential solution to the issue with this map on domination is to reduce it to 3 capture points, change the spawns into a diagonal a la Islands of Ice and place one cap in the centre and the other two, one large one in a slightly more open area for BBs and one slightly smaller which suits DDs more (somewhat similar to Islands of Ice...ive mentioned that map a lot now...), except compared to Islands of Ice the islands area is slightly larger, and leads into other covered areas due to the current map design (which in itself is nice)

As for encounter, the positioning of the spawns in relation to the size of the map cause the issues with the map combat wise.

A good map doesn't need to have ships shooting each other the moment their guns load, there should be some time and space to take advantageous positions on the maps. One example from WoT is Malinovka, where its possible to start dealing good damage to each other from the beginning of the game, where taking in advantageous position, or denying the opposing team that position can make a huge difference to the outcome of the game, while combat occurs in quite pre-determined positions (the hill and both teams bases/spawns, with some skirmishing happening in the middle step under the hill, which [used to] give good scouting positions)

TL;DR

The issues with the map are a combination of its size and the spawns, along with the placement of the control points that can be remedied by changing spawns into something where no force needs to fight an equal enemy force to reach the other friendly force that spawned on the other side of the enemy force. This combined with changing the control points in domination and reducing their numbers to 3 along with a slight increase in map size can make this map more enjoyable for all ship classes.

Alpha Tester
2,303 posts
1,085 battles

You know what might really help this map and CVs on it? Make it a night map!! Cut detection ranges and give planes and ships searchlights.

Imagine the chaos and fun and at the same time CVs will not have the problem of beeing spoted in the first second and beeing spammed with BB guns.