Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Rali2k

RN Heavy Cruisers or DDs?

6 comments in this topic

Question

Players
2 posts
1,516 battles

I'm not sure whether I should grind the RN DDs or Heavy Cruisers, so far I have the impression that the curisers arent that great, where as the daring is quite good, however, I'm already at T6 for the cruiser line due to the event so I'm still not sure which line I should bother grinding.

5 answers to this question

Players
10,334 posts
12,044 battles
25 minutes ago, Rali2k said:

I'm not sure whether I should grind the RN DDs or Heavy Cruisers, so far I have the impression that the curisers arent that great, where as the daring is quite good, however, I'm already at T6 for the cruiser line due to the event so I'm still not sure which line I should bother grinding.

Destroyers are definitely great, though they start shaping as gunboats from tier 7 onwards. They aren't idiotproof, so don't expect ship to carry you "just because its good in good hands". Tier 9 and 10 are currently on nerf streak and no one knows where it will stop, so be warned.

Heavy cruisers are average at best, while from tier 8 onwards they have considerably exposed citadel, so things might go not as planned very fast. Tier 9 and 10 have high HE penetration, which might come in handy when dealing with battleships.

Players
1,104 posts

The Royal Navy Heavy Cruisers are far from the best I found the 2 T6's  Devonshire and London to be ok but they sort of don't inspire enjoyment, the Premium Cheshire is really Crap I was stupid enough to buy it just look in game and try to spot one.  the higher tiers 9&10 are a little better but so many other lines are preferable I'm at the Lightning on the DD's and I've enjoyed playing them admittedly badly but, enjoyed none the less. 

[2DQT]
Players
404 posts
3,589 battles

If you max concealment and HE firepower on the cruisers they can be quite fun to play. I'd say British dd's are in a tough spot with radar, enemy cruisers with smoke, and cv's. 

However the cruisers's guns are somewhat short ranged and if you have trouble with playstyle  go for the dd's in the end.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,727 posts
45,897 battles

I have a slightly different view of the RN DDs, I have gone to T10 and reseted them, and are now back on T8. i enjoyed T9 Jutland a lot even though she has been slightly nerfed. I enjoyed the RN smoke as it is short duration fast reload, combined w hydro this is fairly (in comparison w other DDs) well suited against CV attacks as you can use them for defence against AC. The RN DDs becomes better the higher up in the tree you go IMO.

RN cruisers I am only at T8 so I will not judge them but RN DDs I sort of like. Single torps are useful (Cruisers have it too).

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

All are good, In Light cruisers; Fiji and Minotaur stand out, if not uptiered Edinburgh is very competitive, Neptune needs to go on a diet.

In Heavies - Devonshire and Surrey are good for Tier, Albermarle is like Edi (ok if not uptiered), I'm very disappointed in Drake,Goliath yet to use

DD's Jervis is where it starts to get good, Lightning is very good and often overlooked, Jutland is better and Daring (not yet used), is supposedly one of the better T10's.

Cossack is a more specific knife fighting gun boat, compared to lightning which is a multiple purpose DD.

If CV's worry you, Brit Cruisers have good AA, DD's not so good, but the amount of smokes reduces the need for good AA (just hide in smoke). 

Single Launch Torps are a huge bonus to the Brits, camping BB's etc hate them (8 lightning torps into the bow :cap_horn:),   In the end game brit DD's are lethal.

Sign in to follow this