Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_Maou_

HMS HOOD as premium

18 comments in this topic

[TSUN]
Players
206 posts
6,098 battles

This is just a suggestion but nevertheless i was thinking if it could be possible making the HOOD a premium battlecruiser the same tier as BIsmarck and as a regular ship in the royal navy line would be the admiral class bc but with the addition of hood's intended refit from 1940 which she should have had(increasing her armour and etc...).Would like opinions of other wows players

Beta Tester
142 posts
1,002 battles

Probably not a good idea putting it at the same tier as Bismarck, A tier or two lower perhaps but something that would allow us to shoot at eachother :P

[TSUN]
Players
206 posts
6,098 battles

Well i sid the same tier because she is a battlecruiser and bismarck a battleship so i think they would be ok in the same tier :)

[POI--]
Beta Tester
204 posts
1,651 battles

The Hood is a much older ship that was not built to take on the Bismarck, I think 1 to 2 tiers lower would be best.

Alpha Tester
3,769 posts
58 battles

The Admiral class is tier 7 material, the Bismarck class tier 8.

Personally, I would prefer both to be regular.

Players
299 posts
692 battles

The final refit of the Hood would have made her a damn formidable boat, probably almost as armored as the Bismarck, along with much superior FCS and all kinds of stuff.

I guess if Wargaming go all the way with the final refit for the Hood, you could technically put the HMS Hood in her 1940 state as a premium at tier 7, and the Admiral Class with the final refit (6" deck armor, 6-10 4,5" or 5,25" DP twin turrets, radar FCS, enhanced side-armor, rebuilt engines, rebuilt superstructure with Queen Elizabeth styled box bridge, superior compartmentalization etc.) at tier 8. Though you'd need to put something at tier 7 in the Royal Navy battlecruiser line. 

I actually think a good idea would be to put the Admiral class at tier 7, with a lighter final rebuild (enhanced deck, 6-8 4,5" guns, radar FCS and box bridge, rebuilt engines), and maybe put the Hood at tier 8 with the best possible 1942 refit (6" deck, 8-10 5,25" turrets, radar FCS, box bridge, rebuild side-armor, replaced engines, superior compartmentalization) as a premium. 

Edited by chaplainDMK
  • Cool 1

[TSUN]
Players
206 posts
6,098 battles

The final refit of the Hood would have made her a damn formidable boat, probably almost as armored as the Bismarck, along with much superior FCS and all kinds of stuff.

I guess if Wargaming go all the way with the final refit for the Hood, you could technically put the HMS Hood in her 1940 state as a premium at tier 7, and the Admiral Class with the final refit (6" deck armor, 6-10 4,5" or 5,25" DP twin turrets, radar FCS, enhanced side-armor, rebuilt engines, rebuilt superstructure with Queen Elizabeth styled box bridge, superior compartmentalization etc.) at tier 8. Though you'd need to put something at tier 7 in the Royal Navy battlecruiser line. 

Yes i was just thinking that...with maybe with exception of admiral clas benig the same tier but...idk.And i would (personally) put Hood and Bismarck in regular tier 7's ships beacuse if you compare them to current tier 8 battleships in the game (although amagi is a battlecruiser) i think they are at slight disadvantage with both of them being armed with 4x380mm guns against amagi's 5x406mm guns and american 3x406 mm guns :/.But it would be really nice to have the HOOD and BISMARCK as premium ships.

Players
299 posts
692 battles

Yes i was just thinking that...with maybe with exception of admiral clas benig the same tier but...idk.And i would (personally) put Hood and Bismarck in regular tier 7's ships beacuse if you compare them to current tier 8 battleships in the game (although amagi is a battlecruiser) i think they are at slight disadvantage with both of them being armed with 4x380mm guns against amagi's 5x406mm guns and american 3x406 mm guns :/.But it would be really nice to have the HOOD and BISMARCK as premium ships.

I think the Bismarck is pretty much tier 8 material, along with the KGV and North Carolina/South Dakota (whenever it comes). Bismarck will be faster and probably more resiliant, while KGV will be the king-brawler of Tier 8 with the best armor protection at the cost of lighter guns. 

[TSUN]
Players
206 posts
6,098 battles

I think the Bismarck is pretty much tier 8 material, along with the KGV and North Carolina/South Dakota (whenever it comes). Bismarck will be faster and probably more resiliant, while KGV will be the king-brawler of Tier 8 with the best armor protection at the cost of lighter guns. 

Yeah probably but then again it all depends on wg :/ i personally thught Bismarck as a tier 7 prem shio alongside Hood and in tier 8 or 7 as a regular Tirpitz and Admiral class.Plus Bismarck wil most likely be a prem ship(her model is mostly done in wows,if you look at ships files in wows game folder you will find Bismarck).It would be neat if she could be done or released around the 24th may :/ It would be a nice commeration for the battle like on one side you have promotion for the Bismarck and on the other Hood.

Alpha Tester
3,769 posts
58 battles

KGV is likely to be shafted because she "only" has 14"/45 Mk VII compared to the 15" and 16" guns of the other tier 8s.

Players
299 posts
692 battles

View Post_Maou_, on 16 May 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

Yeah probably but then again it all depends on wg :/ i personally thught Bismarck as a tier 7 prem shio alongside Hood and in tier 8 or 7 as a regular Tirpitz and Admiral class.Plus Bismarck wil most likely be a prem ship(her model is mostly done in wows,if you look at ships files in wows game folder you will find Bismarck).It would be neat if she could be done or released around the 24th may :/ It would be a nice commeration for the battle like on one side you have promotion for the Bismarck and on the other Hood.

I'm actually more interested what they will do with the Vanguard and Lion. The HMS Vanguard I cant see really at tier 9, especially if the Lion is put at tier 9. Would be sad if HMS Vanguard is relegated to a Premium ship with the Lion class as the regular tier 9. But it is pretty much a modified gimped Lion class battleship, and is one of a kind, so it's a very good candidate for a premium ship.

In any case, we'll have to wait for WG to make their Soviet paper ships up first. 

View Postmr3awsome, on 16 May 2015 - 11:04 AM, said:

KGV is likely to be shafted because she "only" has 14"/45 Mk VII compared to the 15" and 16" guns of the other tier 8s.

The new 14" guns actually had a pretty compareable throw-weight to the old 15" BL Mk1s, especially since the KGV's had 10 guns compared to the 8 of old battleships. Roughly I think the throw weight of a full KGV broadside was 7,2 tons, while a Queen Elizabeth class would have a broadside weight of 7,1 tons. The German's 15" guns projectile was actually lighter than the Royal Navy 15" gun, so the broadside weight of the Bismarck for example was only 6,4 tons. 

The overall deal was that Bismarck's guns fired at a much faster muzzle velocity, and had quite a fair bit better armor penetration. But this really isn't much of a deal since all the British big battleship guns had similar penetration performance, the Nelsons 16" guns, the Queen Elizabeths 15" guns and the King George V's 14" guns all could do about 250mm of side armor at 22.000 meters, compared to about 300mm for the Bismarck. So moving like the Nelson above the KGV would make no sense since it didn't have superior gun performance to the KGV for example.  

Edited by BigBadVuk

[T-ROY]
Players
38 posts
11,378 battles

Zerra has uploaded a you tube video stating that HMS Hood will be released as a Premium Tier 7 Fast Battleship. In reality, with the outbreak of the war the refit/conversion of HMS Hood to a fast battleship was canceled.

In 1940 however the Hood was given modifications (suppose) to upgrade her to bring her in line with modern capital ships but the job was rushed, incomplete and therefore 'sub-par'

Maybe wargaming will give us a version of HMS Hood as she SHOULD have been modified.

As we all know the Stern deck and Amidships were not fully uparmoured, and was the reason why she blew up. (the forward magazine were much better protected than the after magazines)

Zerra seemed very impressed with the Hoods  Anti Aircraft rockets. (The UP mountings) In reality they were not very effective and they were problematic. Attacking pilots could see the rocket barrage coming so simply broke off their attack and avoided them entirely.

Any of the Hoods crew on the foredeck had to duck quickly or they would get hit in the face as the ship sailed through a cloud of flying shrapnel. The most exposed crew (who were now ducking for cover) were of course the ships AA gunners. This gave any following enemy aircraft a much easier attack run. UP mountings also had a slower reload than AA guns.

However, in the game we don't have any crew to worry about and Aircraft don't break off their attack runs just because the pilot can see an AA barrage incoming. Attacking planes just continue their attack run, hit or miss.

If this were the case, then the UP mountings (in game) would work how they were envisioned to work, not how they actually worked and this would give HMS Hood the 'KILLER 100 AA' that Zerra described in his video.

Also Kalorn, in his talk with Earl Grey about British Battleships suggested that both HMS Hood and HMS Vanguard should (in game) have the Supercharges that their 15 inch guns could have been equipped with but did not have in real life.

Wargaming have already given HMS Hood its upgraded engines of 150,000 shaft Horse power.

So, if Hood also has:

1)Supercharges for its 15 inch guns,

2)Fully upgraded deck armour,

3)and AA Rockets that work how they SHOULD have worked instead of how they actually worked...........

Then HMS Hood would truly be a magnificent Tier 7 ship and worthy of the Moniker, "The Mighty Hood".    I cant wait to play her.   :)

As post script, Kalron also suggested that KGV be a Tier 8 BB and be armed with the 9 x 15 inch guns that it could have been equipped with, and put Duke of York with 10 x 14 inch guns as a Tier 7 premium.

(presumably so it could fight Scharnorst like it did in real life.)

The KGVs were going to be given 12 x 14 inch guns but the number was dropped to 10 guns to save weight.

I would like to see more options for the KGV class for example, a stock ship having 10 x 14 inch guns and having the option of upgrading to either 9 x 15 inch OR 12 x 14 inch guns (with the guns rate of fire being what it was meant to be, not what it actually was in real life.)

In reality the quad turrets jammed when run at a high rate of fire so they had to slow them down. Long reload time and only 14 inch guns is why so many people say KGV does not deserve to be Tier 8 when in every other respect (except for firepower) it is a Tier 8 ship.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles

...this thread was 2 years old. As much as I commend the use of search function, I think you could've just started a new one...

[ST-EU]
Supertest Coordinator
3,691 posts
5,888 battles

...this thread was 2 years old. As much as I commend the use of search function, I think you could've just started a new one...

There are plenty of Hood threads already following yesterday's news.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles

There are plenty of Hood threads already following yesterday's news.

Well, then I tried to edit with a link to "or try this one" but my Internet died and it apparently didn't send the edit I thought I made :P 
Edited by eliastion

Sign in to follow this