Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Duncandonut

New US BB's and Torps

136 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
46 posts
113 battles

As a dedicated DD player, am really rather frustrated at the new US BB's. It is becoming more and more pointless playing a DD when it is so easy for an enemy BB (Especially the US BB's) to manoeuvre out of the way of my torps. Now I have to close to an insanely close range in the hopes that I don't get spotted too early and obliterated by main guns, I then have to run the gauntlet of secondary guns and then fire my torps. I do this only to see the BB's now turn insanely fast to avoid them.

It was bad before playing DD's above T6, what with the stupidly long 1:30 min reload time. Now we have to contend with ships 3x the size of my dinky DD able to manoeuvre nearly as well as me.My IJN DD's suffer even worse with the crappy gun range/rotation/reload time. 

Edited by Duncandonut
  • Cool 15

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

As a dedicated DD player, am really rather frustrated at the new US BB's. It is becoming more and more pointless playing a DD when it is so easy for an enemy BB (Especially the US BB's) to manoeuvre out of the way of my torps. Now I have to close to an insanely close range in the hopes that I don't get spotted too early and obliterated by main guns, I then have to run the gauntlet of secondary guns and then fire my torps. I do this only to see the BB's now turn insanely fast to avoid them.

It was bad before playing DD's above T6, what with the stupidly long 1:30 min reload time. Now we have to contend with ships 3x the size of my dinky DD able to manoeuvre nearly as well as me.My IJN DD's suffer even worse with the crappy gun range/rotation/reload time. 

at fubuki everything gets better my advice would be fire torps inside eachother so when they turn they will at least take one in and fire them for targets between 6km and 8km 8+ is a miss because spread gets too wide

Edit: with inside eachother i meant make them fill eachother's spread

Edited by Userext

[PRAVD]
Weekend Tester
3,802 posts
5,468 battles

Let's hope this will finally bring the much needed buff for the IJN torpedoes and make them much more invisible as they should. We might see Type 93 on the ships that historically carried it now!

• Cool 7

Alpha Tester
797 posts

at fubuki everything gets better

Only sightly and then at Kagero worse than her.

Also, the torpedoes with longer range are spotted early, so any player who isn't AFK can easily evade them. No point in playing any IJN DD after Minekaze right now.

• Cool 3

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

Also, the torpedoes with longer range are spotted early, so any player who isn't AFK can easily evade them. No point in playing any IJN DD after Minekaze right now.

they get sptoed from 1.5km but 0.5 km doesnt change it much when you fire 3 salvos of them

Beta Tester
46 posts
113 battles

No point in playing any IJN DD after Minekaze right now.

This about sums up my feelings right now. It was bad before, but now I just don't know. I understand it is beta and that things are subject to change, but this is just frustrating. Only time I feel confident about surviving a fight is if I go up against a fellow IJN  DD.

Alpha Tester
797 posts

they get sptoed from 1.5km but 0.5 km doesnt change it much when you fire 3 salvos of them

Is a lot when you shot from a safe distance (around 8km). The dispersion is big enough so they can evade most of them. Is still easy to get 1 hit, but 1 or 2 torpedo hits every 2 minutes makes you DPM really low, unless you get a streak of bad players (not that hard to achieve tho).

Alpha Tester
769 posts
608 battles

I feel more or less the same. So many torp launches, so little hits. BB's should turn really slow, its my only gripe of the game!. Big monsters like that at sea would take ages to evade torpedoes because they where simply not able to turn well. The game certainly favors BB's at the current moment.

The fix would be either faster torpedoes or more of them. And if that is not possible possibly buffing concealment would help them. Say BB's cant spot you until around 5-6km. Cruisers 7-8km. Carriers - Not Sure, but the carriers should be spotted from ages away and spotting a DD should be very hard for them unless their planes spot you.

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

Is a lot when you shot from a safe distance (around 8km). The dispersion is big enough so they can evade most of them. Is still easy to get 1 hit, but 1 or 2 torpedo hits every 2 minutes makes you DPM really low, unless you get a streak of bad players (not that hard to achieve tho).

Hatsuharu has 0.7 rof now so yeah it doesnt matter much you can spam torps now and they reduced the torp spotting range from air it isnt that bad after mutsuki trust me

Edit: 0.7 rof means 85 sec reload fubuki also has 0.7 rof dont know about kagero but shimakaze has 0.4 rof now

Edited by Userext

Beta Tester
331 posts
3,225 battles

I don't seem to have a problem hitting BB's with torps, it just adds one more factor you have to keep in mind before letting them go. 

If you keep blind firing into smoke in the hopes you get one, then of course your hit ratio is going to go down. But if you get close enough, which you should be doing any way you get a hit if you factoring a turn the ship will take, you the send your second volley into the turn. 

And regarding secondaries, the only ship I fear is the Warspite. US BB's secondaries are poor, IJN secondaries are mediocre at best. imho. 

Alpha Tester
769 posts
608 battles

To me personally i think BB's see torpedoes at distances that make it fairly easy to avoid. Reduced damage for torpedoes and a buff to the range they can be spotted would be another fix. That would mean torpedoes would get into the right distance giving the enemy player enough time to avoid a few which would represent a better balance IMO.

Of course i do not even consider anything like that could happen but having torpedoes actually hitting more but with less damage done would be more fun for me personally while not aggravation enemy BB players because the damage wont be enough to cause serious HP loss, none the less it would be more fun to have it that way.

What do you guys think ?.

Beta Tester
46 posts
113 battles

To me personally i think BB's see torpedoes at distances that make it fairly easy to avoid. Reduced damage for torpedoes and a buff to the range they can be spotted would be another fix. That would mean torpedoes would get into the right distance giving the enemy player enough time to avoid a few which would represent a better balance IMO.

Of course i do not even consider anything like that could happen but having torpedoes actually hitting more but with less damage done would be more fun for me personally while not aggravation enemy BB players because the damage wont be enough to cause serious HP loss, none the less it would be more fun to have it that way.

I think it is a great idea. I mean lets not forget that an enemy BB can one shot us DD players, same with Cruiser players. Us poor DD's really only have our torps which are just useless now. 

Beta Tester
331 posts
3,225 battles

I think it is a great idea. I mean lets not forget that an enemy BB can one shot us DD players, same with Cruiser players. Us poor DD's really only have our torps which are just useless now. 

I agree in principle, but what would you sacrifice for this "buff". How about less time on the smoke?

Edited by Yorkie_GBR

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

There really was change - and historical even :) Generally "short, fat" ships have smaller turning radius than long, sleek ones - many battleships actually had same or smaller turning radius than destroyers, this was also the rationale for the failed project of circular coastal battleship.

it is pretty visible with the US battleships, as they were always (well, until fast BB concept came) wider than their IJN counterparts (same goes for cruisers) - so slower, but faster turn... Once the ship reacts.

While trying to go for a BB, look carefully - if the BB is already turning, it can use its turn radius effectively, so you should go for ships that are sailing in a straight line. You should also try to make concentrated torpedo strikes - one flight from the front, one from the side etc.

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

guys just because you cant hit enemies right now doesnt mean they should do something to torps it means you should start learning from your mistakes

shot-15.05.15_13.46.34-0142.jpg

Beta Tester
46 posts
113 battles

I agree in principle, but what would you sacrifice for this "buff". How about less time on the smoke?

I dont think the IJN DD's should have to sacrifice anything. Their current state is appalling. Were out gunned by US DD, were one shot by BB's and Cruisers. Every class of ship (including CV's) can easily avoid our torps. Our torp reload time is exactly the same as a Cruisers reload time, yet they have the guns to wipe us out along with pretty much the same manoeuvrability as us. I know I am biased, but I do feel we are getting the crappy end of the stick now. 10 games tonight and only 3 torp hits (2 of which were against an enemy BB who ran into an island and got stuck). My game play has not changed in anyway, yet my torps just sail off into the distance.  

Beta Tester
46 posts
113 battles

guys just because you cant hit enemies right now doesnt mean they should do something to torps it means you should start learning from your mistakes

I can see you play alot of IJN DD's, but was that game on your US Sims ? I only ask as when I play my Sims I can sit back and fire my guns. I try the same on one of my IJN DD's and I dont last long at all.

Alpha Tester
797 posts

Less damage and lower acquisition range? Add shorter reloads and I'll buy.

Anecdotal evidence. Just check your own average damage with DDs and comepare it with any dedicated BB player, specially the bad ones.

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

I dont think the IJN DD's should have to sacrifice anything. Their current state is appalling. Were out gunned by US DD, were one shot by BB's and Cruisers. Every class of ship (including CV's) can easily avoid our torps. Our torp reload time is exactly the same as a Cruisers reload time, yet they have the guns to wipe us out along with pretty much the same manoeuvrability as us. I know I am biased, but I do feel we are getting the crappy end of the stick now. 10 games tonight and only 3 torp hits (2 of which were against an enemy BB who ran into an island and got stuck). My game play has not changed in anyway, yet my torps just sail off into the distance.  

IJN DDs are in a bad situation but that can only be buffed with consealment and maneuverability to some of them the rest is up to you after a while you start to learn from your mistakes do not follow the torpedo aim asist %100 because it tells you where the ship will be according to his route watch around you dont blindly fire torps and if not dangerous try to fire torps from at most 8km range ALSO try to fire torps as a whole filling eachother's empty spaces you will at least score 1 torp hit which with 85 sec reload isnt an important issue anymore

Beta Tester
331 posts
3,225 battles

My game play has not changed in anyway, yet my torps just sail off into the distance.  

WHilst I love my IJN DD's more so than Cruisers true be told, I did have to approach US BB's in a different manner than I do IJN's. We had plenty of practice for the new US BB's when troping the Warspite. That has a mean turning circle and you have to get close, unless you luck out on a newbie in the Warspite. 

Perhaps you need to approach the US BB's in a new way. 

And just to be clear, I agree in principle regarding the detection range of torps, they could be detected later, but there has to be a trade off otherwise the balance would be way off.

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

I can see you play alot of IJN DD's, but was that game on your US Sims ? I only ask as when I play my Sims I can sit back and fire my guns. I try the same on one of my IJN DD's and I dont last long at all.

that was hatsuharu try not to use your guns unless you have to because you have good consealment and shut the AA until an enemy plane flies over you

shot-15.05.15_13.46.32-0114.jpg

[PRAVD]
Weekend Tester
3,802 posts
5,468 battles

One game doesn't say anything. One time in Hastuharu, after 2 games doing 0 torpedo hits, I had a game with +100k including ammoracking a Nagato with 1 torp and killing 2 cruisers with 1 salvo.

Beta Tester
331 posts
3,225 battles

I play IJN DD's don't have sims, and don't expect to duke it out like a US DD's. 

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

And just to be clear, I agree in principle regarding the detection range of torps, they could be detected later, but there has to be a trade off otherwise the balance would be way off.

the detection range for torps are %10 of its range and from air it is reduced now there are plenty of BBs right now go hunting people

Sign in to follow this