Flandre Bug Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Harvin87

How to improve your game?

15 comments in this topic

[OOPSY]
Players
88 posts
2,488 battles

Hello, 

I am a new player with exactly 599 battles and a 48.75% win rate. Looking at my charts I can see that I've been improving slowly but if someone could look at my stats and guide me about maybe some strategic mistakes that I'm doing (tactical can get better by practice and watching the masters like Flamu or Flambass). Maybe I'm going to fast through the tiers? or not picking the correct ships? please bear in mind that I only play like 1 hour or max 2 hours a day.

Some advice would be very welcome!

Thanks and good luck and fair seas!

• Cool 1

Players
707 posts
2,099 battles

Watch your replays and work out why you were sunk/targeted.

And post a replay here and ask for advice, it really does work.

Lots of very experienced people here who will help if asked and listened to....

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,632 posts
6,096 battles

Simply put, you sir need to do more damage, your win rate may be improving but your average damage is not.

[XTREM]
Players
2,032 posts
14,941 battles

Hard to give specific advice just by looking at numbers, but your average damage is very low.

This could indicate problems in positioning, and/or being too aggressive and dying too quickly to deal enough damage or have any meaningful outcome on your games. 

Conversely, it could indicate plays that are too passive as well.

Consider these things, and with more experience you can eventually learn when to push, when to kite, how to position your ship and how to stay alive. Staying alive is paramount to winning more games as well. A dead ship can no longer deal damage, or put pressure, spot, or contest caps. A dead ship can no longer contribute to the win. 

[SM0KE]
Players
6,576 posts
15,046 battles
51 minutes ago, Harvin87 said:

Other people are better at analysing numbers, but my suggestion would be to join a clan, preferably one that a) uses voice comms and b) has people willing to teach.

If you go out in division with more experienced players, they can provide you with useful pointers in real time...

(Plus, you get useful economic bonuses too, if they have a developed base.)

[OOPSY]
Players
88 posts
2,488 battles

Thanks, will try to do that. I guess my problem it's tactical although I have been improving recently in that regard as well (IMO). Will try to post a replay here as soon as I find out how to do it.

Thanks.

Players
272 posts

I notice that you're into British BB line, it's a good line to farm damage.  I find Randoms battles better than Co-op when it comes to learning new things about your ship and unpredictable enemies.  

Players
7,237 posts
11,667 battles
2 hours ago, Harvin87 said:

Welcome to the forum and kudos for reaching out here to get better!

like @Miragetank90 said, only looking at the stats and making judgement from that is not so easy and one can draw wrong conclusion from that. Posting 2 or 3 replays from average games is helpful. Usualy a few guys will look at them and give very detailed, helpful feedback.

Your battleship numbers are not really there where they could/should be. If you got a BB-replay, I would look at that. Replays are stored in your game folder, there is a subfolder called /replays. You can straight up attach these to the forum post here.

Then a few general things:

- Are you using premium consumables? (soon it wont matter since we get unified conumables but still worth a change)

- Minimap settings and size? It should look something like this. You can increase the size of the minimap with + (make it smaller with -) and enable ship positions in the settings.

- Look for a clan maybe? There is a subsection in this forum. Loads of clans are looking for players. Exchanging experiances helps a lot as does playing in divisions.

shot-20_04.12_01_25.08-0787.thumb.jpg.8ea98ef32afc2d208a6b3843c50190e7.jpg

[UA-NF]
Players
511 posts
8,203 battles

stay at tier 6 and don't go higher. You are rushing too much. Tier 8 is worst tier for you right now, very often uptiered vs tier 10.

[OOPSY]
Players
88 posts
2,488 battles

Ok, I'll post 2 replays the first one is with KGV, I don't even remember how many damage I did, I hope it's worth it. The second is with the Zara. Today I'll play a couple of games and get them here. Btw, I've found different posts about how to watch them, could someone give me the updated version? I understand I must edit the game-script? 

Thanks and I'll keep you posted.

20200411_220413_PISC107-Zara_23_Shards.wowsreplay

20200410_164058_PBSB107-King-George-V_15_NE_north.wowsreplay

[CHEFT]
Players
12,227 posts
9,841 battles
32 minutes ago, Harvin87 said:

Ok, I'll post 2 replays the first one is with KGV, I don't even remember how many damage I did, I hope it's worth it. The second is with the Zara. Today I'll play a couple of games and get them here. Btw, I've found different posts about how to watch them, could someone give me the updated version? I understand I must edit the game-script? 

Thanks and I'll keep you posted.

Watched the KGV game quickly:

- Try to get Concealment Expert for your captain asap. Its a really squishy ship these days, and it really helps a lot there.

- If you use mainly HE you have to keep track which ships use DCP, so you can get those permafires. General rule is, if you get 2 fires on a ship, he probably will use DCP, alltho a lot of people also extinguish one fire.

Spoiler

shot-20_04.12_21_47.10-0142.thumb.jpg.3ab1684460d00ecc379122ae9945eed7.jpg

There you got 2 fires on the QE, but you start shooting the Bayern. Better keep shooting the QE when something like that happens. He did use DCP right away.

Spoiler

shot-20_04.12_21_48.02-0745.thumb.jpg.6841b2048785b186dc29ab973242fa93.jpg

I didnt like that you follow the Bayern in the Corner here. There is nothing for you to get. If you look at the minimap, most Enemies are in the center. I would have turned towards the center going to F3/4 behind the island. Every ship going through the middle, you would have gotten flat broadside. Or you stop them from going there.

Next screenshot, you see all the enemies going to your cap, you could have gotten them easily

Spoiler

shot-20_04.12_21_48.33-0638.thumb.jpg.8154f50daca1f1acc294c202cb4e5a98.jpg

took that pic because after you kept shooting the bayern, suddenly you switched again to the Hood. Not worth it. You have to get rid of targets first, especially when you shoot HE, itll take time. But the problem in general here was, that you were shooting HE, and you had no Cruisers with you, that were also shooting HE. Edinburgh only has AP, and Zara has SAP and AP. So you cant stack fires. If a ship is broadside, you can use AP, even at longer ranges. The amount of time and luck needed to kill a BB with a BB shooting HE by yourself is huge.

In general, you should shoot Cruisers over BBs first.

Spoiler

shot-20_04.12_21_48.57-0996.thumb.jpg.f253f9bfa2a1c204e4acdd744a8291ea.jpg

Thats the wrong way to play a KGV. You dont want to close the distance against most BBs, and here you have 2 which can overmatch your armor, while you got HE at best to deal with them. Also, you take yourself out of the game for no reason. The enemies wipe the floor with your team in the time being. Also here you can see your asashio being in trouble against a Fiji (not gonna defend him, but the Fiji is busy, so you wanna intervene). Load AP, turn your towards and help him. You shoot HE at him, that will not stop a Fiji. RN BB AP is devastating against Cruisers, you might have gotten his broadside with nice citadels.

In general, its good that you use premium DCP/Heal, but next patch they get removed. Still thumbsup for that. And you still need to practice your aim, often you dont take enough lead, like against the Bayern you whiff a couple of salvos.

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,897 posts
10,504 battles

1) My biggest improvement came when i started to look at the minimap about 50% of my ingame time. Why?

- Where is everyone and to where are they showing broadside. You do not scan the horizon with your binoculars but you take one quick glance on the minimap to see where a juicy target is.

- You watch what your team is doing.

- What the enemy team is doing.

- Is my team pushing or kiting at this flank? And is the other team pushing and kiting at a flank?

- Are the objectives being contested? If yes: An enemy is in that objective.

- Watch my own detection range. Am i spotted between shots? Enemy with better detection nearby and in my spotting range.

2) Between shots, especially in a bb, look around and scan your surroundings real quick (together with a glance on the minimap).

- Torpedoes somewhere? Then you can roughly estimate in what direction a dd is.

- Did one of your teammates took a big hit and will he most likely go down/fall back? That info is useful to know and make your own decision with. "Shall i keep pushing by myself or retreat as well?"

3) One of the biggest improvements in your gameplay imo is when you start to understand the flow of the battle.

Once most enemies have been spotted, you can roughly estimate how the battle is going to evolve in the next few minutes.

For example: Is the enemy strong on the side where there are few friendlies? Good chance they will push. This gives you an opportunity to position yourself where you can shoot their broadsides when they decide to push.

It is all about recognising situations before they start to happen but based on the info given by the minimap, the ship lineups and the health of both teams.

Most destroyers, cruisers and battleships go to the same spots/take the same routes depending on which ship they sail. A radar cruiser has certain spots he will most likely go to, a bb has a certain path he will most likely sail, etc. etc. You get to know this with experience.

4) PTFO. Play the f*****g objective.

Support your team going for the caps. Dont sit back mindlessly slinging HE at other BBs. Kill the DDs and the radar cruisers first, then other cruisers, bbs last. 1700 dmg on a dd in the nearest cap might prove more valuable for the win than a 20k volley on a bb far away.

Dont push into their spawn after a cap has been capped. Either reposition yourself to another cap or stay to defend the cap. As a BB you do not want to push into kiting cruisers. They will burn you down.

:cap_popcorn:

• Cool 4

Players
130 posts
15,583 battles

1.Learn kiting 

2.Learn angling, don't show broadside 

3.Dont rush to caps, play defensive, wait enemy rush to you

4.Dont camp

5.Don't follow running enemy ships, play according to objectives like capping 

6.Play close to center, not border of map because of objectives 

7.Kill low hp ships especially when playing cv

8.Get to higher tiers if you have +50% WR in lower tier

9.If you don't have support, it mostly happens, play accordingly like defensive, don't blame your mates because it doesn't help at all

10.Learn radar ships and their range

11.Dont rely on your smoke, it shows your actual place and magnets all enemy torps

12.Dont rely on your torps if you are not DD

13.Dont rely on your secondary batteries, it causes you to be focused by enemy ship

14.Play according to your ships pros and cons, if you are torp boat run away from gunboats

15.Stay alive, don't die for foolish risks, it decreases your team points

Finally my favorites:

DD Fletcher

CC Worcester

BB Bismarck 

CV Shokaku

• Cool 1

Players
350 posts
5,465 battles
12 hours ago, Harvin87 said:

I am a new player with exactly 599 battles and a 48.75% win rate

Just look at minimap and see how many enemy ships are coming towards you on your flank . If you think you might be stronger than the enemy you can play more aggressive on your flank if not then learn to abandon caps and tactical withdrawal when you are outnumbered as bb player I try to stay in center as much as possible to cover both the flanks with crossfire .  Also dont chase enemy ships to the border . Its nice idea to go dark in between your shots and heal up . Also plan your escape route in case your flank collapses .  Also always strech your legs only after 10 min into game as early pushes will kill you with fire and floodings :)

Change your mindset to "can solo carry/sink multiple ships at once", to stay alive, keep doing dmg" should improve your wr

[-AS-]
Players
733 posts

Get a headset, install Discord. Join me for a few division battles if you see me in game by saying "Hi it's Harvin87 from the forum".

I'll be able to guide you through tiers 4 to 7.

For tiers 8 to 10 you'd be better off divisioning with some other player.

Sign in to follow this