Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TheEntireGermanEmpire

Was I just THAT unlucky or...

9 comments in this topic

Players
101 posts
5,826 battles

Has this happened to anyone else?
You sail peacefully towards your cap. No CV in game, not spotted yet, no RPF warning, no smoke screen laid to give any clue on where you are at ALL. When all of a sudden you get hit by a sudden wall of skill out of the blue with some very good accuracy.
It happened to me now and then and I chalked it up to luck - after all dumping torps into the cap is a valid tactic just in case, especially for EU DD's.

But aside from that I'm at a loss on how accurate those salvos sometimes can be, especially in the larger caps.

I'm pretty confused right now on what "just" happened and I have no other explanation then either hacks or just dumb luck on the torpedoers side, but it seems to happen too often and also on maps with Epicenter.

I've attached a replay because I'd really want to know if I'm imagining things or what the counterplay should have been beside "just dont be there where the torpedoes were dumbed aimlessly" so I can improve and have this not happen to me again.
I entered the cap, found that I am without support and tried heading north in case I get radared or need to GTFO to the rest of the team. I even tried a juke with my throttle, but.. well. Out of the [edited]blue, Östergötland torps, undodgeable at that distance and speed and gone was almost all my health.

https://replayswows.com/replay/87299#teams

Was that just a serious case of bad luck or is something fishy going on?

[JRM]
Players
7,507 posts
27,568 battles

You might be the victim of RPF

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,649 posts
6,130 battles
9 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

You might be the victim of RPF

Nope, good ole fashioned bad luck, there was no RPF indicator.

13 minutes ago, TheEntireGermanEmpire said:

Just a lucky (educated) guess by the Östergotland, probably would have aimed the torps in  that region myself in his place.

[CATS]
Players
29,749 posts
15,320 battles

Do not sail peacefully. Learn when to expect attacks.

Certain areas are more used by ships than others. Experienced players know these areas and torp them. When you behave predictable, you get hit.

And yes, you can be just unlucky.

Beta Tester
2,131 posts
12,653 battles
9 minutes ago, TheEntireGermanEmpire said:

Has this happened to anyone else?
You sail peacefully towards your cap. No CV in game, not spotted yet, no RPF warning, no smoke screen laid to give any clue on where you are at ALL. When all of a sudden you get hit by a sudden wall of skill out of the blue with some very good accuracy.
It happened to me now and then and I chalked it up to luck - after all dumping torps into the cap is a valid tactic just in case, especially for EU DD's.

But aside from that I'm at a loss on how accurate those salvos sometimes can be, especially in the larger caps.

I'm pretty confused right now on what "just" happened and I have no other explanation then either hacks or just dumb luck on the torpedoers side, but it seems to happen too often and also on maps with Epicenter.

I've attached a replay because I'd really want to know if I'm imagining things or what the counterplay should have been beside "just dont be there where the torpedoes were dumbed aimlessly" so I can improve and have this not happen to me again.
I entered the cap, found that I am without support and tried heading north in case I get radared or need to GTFO to the rest of the team. I even tried a juke with my throttle, but.. well. Out of the [edited]blue, Östergötland torps, undodgeable at that distance and speed and gone was almost all my health.

https://replayswows.com/replay/87299#teams

I didnt look at the replay but just going on experience i done this with success a couple of times often with IJN gunboat line where you can use TRB from start, get your torps up directly and then just predict by using your own position to the cap and assuming the enemy DD has gotten pretty much the same. Thing is usually no one expects torps to pop up before the 2 minute mark (this was before the Swedes) so most DD players sail in a straight line towards the cap because they think they are safe.

You dont succeed every time you try but with the fast reload and long range of the Swedes you should definatly use this trick every game. If you miss your torps has already reloaded for when you spot each other.

Players
778 posts
10,998 battles
27 minutes ago, TheEntireGermanEmpire said:

You sail peacefully towards your cap.

Predictable line, speculative torps....

• Cool 1

[UA-NF]
Players
511 posts
8,203 battles

I learned to sail at half speed in DDs in dangerous areas, like caps, so I have time to react and evade torps. At half speed or at 3/4 speed maneuvrability is much better

[CHEFT]
Players
12,251 posts
9,841 battles

Here is what we once did with our division:

I was playing Wooster, and had a Gearing with me i the division. We went together towards B cap on Atlantic. I was spotted while going into island cover, and could pinpoint the location of the DD by the moment i got unspotted. Told my Gearing where the enemy DD was sitting, he torped there and killed the DD.

So can be bad luck, or very good coordination.

Players
222 posts
12,144 battles

There are some places on maps where you can guess an enemy dd will go, especially at the start of a game. Never hurts to dump some torps at the start. Obviously the downside is you dont have them ready to go if smoke screen appears somewhere else just afterwards. But I've been luckily enough to catch a few enemy dd's like that.

Oh and never sit broadside in a cap, even if its uncontested. Enemy dd could be just outside the cap and torping the area based on their own concealment covering most of the cap circle, not being spotted and figuring out a rough location for you.

Sign in to follow this