Server Downtime 21/02 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Emmerik

Need help with high tier US Cruisers

14 comments in this topic

[WFCSB]
Weekend Tester
69 posts
3,213 battles

So,

Ever since the new patch I feel like the high tier US Cruisers can't do any damage anymore.

I have done about five games with my Baltimore now, but I don't seem to be able to project my damage anymore.

Aiming at the hull under the turrets or exhaust doesnt seem to give me the citadel hits I used to get.

I am aware about the new armor mechanics, but it seems something is wrong here

Is there something I am missing here?

Edited by Emmerik

Beta Tester
63 posts
328 battles

yeah someone was saying in another post that cita hits are now harder to come by, i play cleveland and it seems to play the same as before patch but with a higher turn rate. do u crusier guys use AP or HE?

Alpha Tester
473 posts
528 battles

So,

Ever since the new patch I feel like the high tier US Cruisers can't do any damage anymore.

I have done about five games with my Baltimore now, but I don't seem to be able to project my damage anymore.

Aiming at the hull under the turrets or exhaust doesnt seem to give me the citadel hits I used to get.

Is there something I am missing here?

As far as I've heard citadel hits have become rarer, but I spotted the same problem with BBs too: at long-max range nearly 0 dmg, at midrange a bit better but still garbage considering you're a moving duck for 30sec.

[WFCSB]
Weekend Tester
69 posts
3,213 battles

I tend to switch between HE and AP with my Cruiser, trying to find what works best.

HE does the most damage so far because with AP I dont seem to get the penetration hits I used to get.

I am aware about the new armor mechanics, but this seems wierd

Edited by Emmerik

Beta Tester
63 posts
328 battles

i was told to use the BBs as a brawler, get in range for secondaries and watch them tear cruisers apart. ive yet to get that close though lol

Alpha Tester
473 posts
528 battles

i was told to use the BBs as a brawler, get in range for secondaries and watch them tear cruisers apart. ive yet to get that close though lol

Depends what BBs, a Nagato is indeed a brawler but a Fuso is long dead until it reaches the range to shoot secondaries.

I tend to switch between HE and AP with my Cruiser, trying to find what works best.

HE does the most damage so far because with AP I dont seem to get the penetration hits I used to get.

I am aware about the new armor mechanics, but this seems wierd

Both AP and HE failed me on BBs, none did damage and definitely the APs I shot at long range didn't get the plunging fire pen that they should have.

[WFCSB]
Weekend Tester
69 posts
3,213 battles

Both AP and HE failed me on BBs, none did damage and definitely the APs I shot at long range didn't get the plunging fire pen that they should have.

That indeed... even just the 'simple' Fuso seems to handle my AP shells just fine, even in close range!
Edited by Emmerik

Alpha Tester
473 posts
528 battles

That indeed... even just the 'simple' Fuso seems to handle my AP shells just fine, even in close range!

I am getting the distinct impression that we all got dicked in our own way: US BBs can h4xturn to avoid torpedoes (but get crap engines and crap range), AP doesn't do jack anymore, HE is ok if you don't have atrocious RoF (which disqualifies anything but cruisers)...

[WFCSB]
Weekend Tester
69 posts
3,213 battles

I am getting the distinct impression that we all got dicked in our own way: US BBs can h4xturn to avoid torpedoes (but get crap engines and crap range), AP doesn't do jack anymore, HE is ok if you don't have atrocious RoF (which disqualifies anything but cruisers)...

Might be true yes, but my grind trough the Pensacola and New Orleans was bad as it is, since they don't seem to be giving any advantage compared to the Cleveland.

But now this grind seems useless since my Baltimore seems to do no damage at all anymore.. although did get the damage repair crew thingy which is nice.

I just think there is something we are missing.. There has to be a way to make these ships usefull and being able to project theyre damage... but what ?!

Edited by Emmerik

[FILO]
Beta Tester
333 posts
3,970 battles

Seems working as planned. Battleships were built to withstand other battleships armed with at least 12 inch guns, not those puny 8 inch ticklers.

Beta Tester
23 posts
1,809 battles

I pretty much stopped using AP shells and  spaming HE away. Constant damage + module damage + burning everyhwere + "critical hits" (as good as citadel hits)

Beta Tester
23 posts
1,809 battles

Skip to 13:30

And that`s why fire rate currently is most likely the only thing that really matters, which makes JPN Cruisers supposed to be slower, hard hitters almost pointless. 

Sign in to follow this