Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HassenderZerhacker

high tier maps

9 comments in this topic

Players
900 posts
3,425 battles

Are there guides on how to play some high tier maps?

On many of these maps the islands are tall, and the spots where the island can be used as camo for shooting from behind it rare.

Another thing are "spotting areas", i.e. places that offer line of sight on ships sailing to their positions in the early match and also offer cover to allow DDs to bail out.

In high tiers I often find myself on maps I don't know well enough and my performance suffers greatly as a result.

Where can I find tactical guides about maps?

• Cool 1

Players
3,864 posts
11,378 battles

Hello.

There are no updated map guides. 

It also depends on the enemy lineup and their positions. 

Consider those and position yourself accordingly. Most of it will come by itself with experience. 

[THESO]
Players
4,221 posts

There used to be a video series about map tactics, but WG decided they are not important.

So ... you have 2 options ... adapt from experience .... or just camp at max range like most people do.

Here is a video example from the past:

Players
900 posts
3,425 battles

that's kind of frustrating...

4 hours ago, Yoshanai said:

Most of it will come by itself with experience. 

unpleasant experience unfortunately.

my only tier 10 ship is a Smolensk, if I don't know where to go with it, I'm mostly screwed, because as soon as I am spotted all enemies stop whatever they were doing and target me instead.

and the few battles I had in Smolensk so far taught me that I can't do much other things with it than to spam HE from behind islands.

I also noticed that some islands changed their shape in the last months, usually from flat island good for shooting from behind it to mountain island.

Players
3,864 posts
11,378 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, HassenderZerhacker sagte:

my only tier 10 ship is a Smolensk, if I don't know where to go with it, I'm mostly screwed, because as soon as I am spotted all enemies stop whatever they were doing and target me instead.

and the few battles I had in Smolensk so far taught me that I can't do much other things with it than to spam HE from behind islands.

Wasn't any different for me. 

I started to get better after 2k battles. 

My winrate was at around 48% back then. It took  me 7k more battles to reach the performance I can consistently bring now. 

It's a lengthy process. 

[MORIA]
Players
585 posts
7,853 battles
22 minutes ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

I also noticed that some islands changed their shape in the last months, usually from flat island good for shooting from behind it to mountain island.

First mistake you do in a Smolensk, and almost every other ship, is to go into the islands. Smolensk shines in open water. The ships that you would go into the islands with, is Des Moines, Atlanta etc.

• Cool 1

Players
900 posts
3,425 battles
25 minutes ago, WarburtonLee said:

First mistake you do in a Smolensk, and almost every other ship, is to go into the islands. Smolensk shines in open water. The ships that you would go into the islands with, is Des Moines, Atlanta etc.

I get rapidly shot to pieces in open waters.

Players
131 posts
5,214 battles
57 minutes ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

Just take it slow. You're jumping from tier 7 to tier 10 skipping 2 of the most difficult tiers entirely.

You already have the Shchors so if I were you I would continue grinding that line (plus you might have time to unlock Moskva before it is turned into a "premium" ship). That will give you some time to get used to high tier light cruiser gameplay. If you make it to Moskva without losing your hairs thanks to being insta deleted at the beginning of each game then you will have the skills to play Smolensk. Even though it doesn't play the same, it is mostly easier thanks to better concealment, manoeuvrability and smoke.

33 minutes ago, WarburtonLee said:

Also this ^

Russian railguns don't work behind islands.

Smolensk has a smoke that you can use to engage easy mode. Just park anywhere on the map and use it then pew-pew until the smoke runs out (at least that's how I would play it). Don't forget to turn on hydro if there's a risk of a DD being around.

Disclaimer: I don't own it so I may be slightly off in my gameplay advise.

[MORIA]
Players
585 posts
7,853 battles
13 minutes ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

I get rapidly shot to pieces in open waters.

Then you need to learn to play around your detection range, and use your smoke wisely.. Not only use your smoke, but also plan for when it ends to relocate unspotted

Sign in to follow this