You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.

39 comments in this topic

[91-BS]
Players
154 posts

It took Italy 4 years rebuild Giulio Cesare, Makes you wonder why they didn't just start from scratch.

eZlcZb3r6sqhc-gQ6MzPwUOSOkuUAxv-Ny3GEhmqI7w.jpg

2b90396c0ca55498b113bb6566d48b99.jpg

[4_0_4]
Players
7,675 posts
14,019 battles

Who knows? Maybe it was cheaper?

• Cool 1

WG Staff
1,419 posts
780 battles
17 ore fa, Zemeritt ha scritto:

Who knows? Maybe it was cheaper?

We indeed rebuild almost 40% of it. I don't know the real reasons behind this choice, but they could be economical as "sentimental" since the Giulio Cesare was an iconic ship at the time. Its story though is actually interesting if you want you can read the Wiki about her https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_battleship_Giulio_Cesare

TheWarJaC

• Cool 3

[C1DFL]
[C1DFL]
Beta Tester
2,373 posts
13,980 battles

I guess that one reason for the extensive rebuilding program of the old dreadnoughts were probably the naval treaties of Washington and London which, among other things, imposed a halt on newbuildings at first and limited the tonnage for new ships afterwards.

The tonnage allotted to Italy by these treaties didn´t allow for that many newbuildings thus a thorough modernization of the old battleships was a feasable option.

Britain and the US did the same with their capital ships from the late 1920 into the 1930s.

• Cool 6

[91-BS]
Players
154 posts
On 3/31/2020 at 5:14 PM, togMOR said:

I guess that one reason for the extensive rebuilding program of the old dreadnoughts were probably the naval treaties of Washington and London which, among other things, imposed a halt on newbuildings at first and limited the tonnage for new ships afterwards.

The tonnage allotted to Italy by these treaties didn´t allow for that many newbuildings thus a thorough modernization of the old battleships was a feasable option.

Britain and the US did the same with their capital ships from the late 1920 into the 1930s.

Sounds legit.

WG Staff
1,419 posts
780 battles

Alle 31/3/2020 alle 18:14, togMOR ha scritto:

Thank you for sharing this piece of trivia, it was really interesting (I really like to discover the historical lore behind the ships.)

12 ore fa, Skyee_8492 ha scritto:

Sounds legit.

Just one question, why did you focus on Giulio Cesare? (I am asking because is one of my favorite ships, especially aesthetically.)

Ah, just to finally and drastically dismiss the fake news spread on this forum, the real pronunciation of the name is https://forvo.com/word/giulio_cesare/  :Smile_veryhappy:

TheWarJaC

• Cool 2

[91-BS]
Players
154 posts
2 minutes ago, TheWarJaC said:

Thank you for sharing this piece of trivia, it was really interesting (I really like to discover the historical lore behind the ships.)

Just one question, why did you focus on Giulio Cesare? (I am asking because is one of my favorite ships, especially aesthetically.)

Ah, just to finally and drastically falsified the fake news spread on this forum, the real pronunciation of the name is https://forvo.com/word/giulio_cesare/  :Smile_veryhappy:

TheWarJaC

I like naval history.  British, German, American, Japanese naval things i know about but not so much the Italian Navy so i thought i'd start leaning and looking into it. I was amazing Italy thought to rebuild the class so extensively effectively making a new ship out of the old instead of just scrapping them and starting from scratch. Making a dreadnought type into a fast battleship certainly was a feat of engineering plus the Littorio class are quite interesting as well not to mention the Italian navy certainly had there own flair when it comes to the design of ships.

WG Staff
1,419 posts
780 battles
2 ore fa, Skyee_8492 ha scritto:

🧐
2 ore fa, Skyee_8492 ha scritto:

I like naval history.  British, German, American, Japanese naval things i know about but not so much the Italian Navy so i thought i'd start leaning and looking into it. I was amazing Italy thought to rebuild the class so extensively effectively making a new ship out of the old instead of just scrapping them and starting from scratch. Making a dreadnought type into a fast battleship certainly was a feat of engineering plus the Littorio class are quite interesting as well not to mention the Italian navy certainly had there own flair when it comes to the design of ships.

Thank you for the insight, I can tell you are knowledgeable. From the "Vittorio Veneto" class, I suggest you check out Roma: also it's history is very interesting, especially how it was tragically sunk. (The brother of my grandfather, unfortunately, was allocated on the ship when it happened.)

The English version of its Wikipedia is pretty detailed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_battleship_Roma_(1940)

TheWarJaC

• Cool 1

[91-BS]
Players
154 posts
4 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

Thank you for the insight, I can tell you are knowledgeable. From the "Vittorio Veneto" class, I suggest you check out Roma: also it's history is very interesting, especially how it was tragically sunk. (The brother of my grandfather, unfortunately, was allocated on the ship when it happened.)

The English version of its Wikipedia is pretty detailed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_battleship_Roma_(1940)

TheWarJaC

I know some things about the Roma, An interesting story for sure but what documentaries i can find are in Italian. Thinking about building a model of her to add to my collection :) 

WG Staff
1,419 posts
780 battles
13 ore fa, Skyee_8492 ha scritto:

I know some things about the Roma, An interesting story for sure but what documentaries i can find are in Italian. Thinking about building a model of her to add to my collection :) 

That sounds very cool, how many models have built so far?

I am actually making a drawing of Roma 

Spoiler

rrgrtgg.jpg

I have also found a video with some information about the ship in English, It is not a documentary but it doesn't seem so bad 😉.

• Cool 1

[91-BS]
Players
154 posts
18 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

That sounds very cool, how many models have built so far?

I am actually making a drawing of Roma 

Reveal hidden contents

rrgrtgg.jpg

I have also found a video with some information about the ship in English, It is not a documentary but it doesn't seem so bad 😉.

These are the warships I've built thus far, in various steps of completion. 

Hms Nelson

Kms Scharnhorst

Kms Prinz Eugen 

Uss Arizona 

Hms Iron Duke

Ijn Fubuki

Hms Warspite

I also have a Texas I've barely started on, Just a painted hull.

I should really stop buying them cause they're mounting up haha Got an Ark Royal on order, I also want a Roma & a Tirpitz.

Awesome drawing as well! Very nice indeed and yeah i've seen a couple of youtuber videos but no full length doc's which sucks lol

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1698.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

• Cool 3

WG Staff
1,419 posts
780 battles

@Skyee_8492You did a good job with these models, I especially like how you painted the camouflages.

You are definitely a model-making addicted! 😊

How long does it take to finish one?

(Thank you for the compliments regarding the drawing.)

TheWarJaC

• Cool 1

[91-BS]
Players
154 posts
44 minutes ago, TheWarJaC said:

You did a good job with these models, I especially like how you painted the camouflages.

You are definitely a model-making addicted! 😊

How long does it take to finish one?

(Thank you for the compliments regarding the drawing.)

TheWarJaC

Thank you kindly sir

I completed the Iron Duke first in an all grey scheme so i knew after that i didn't want another all grey ship. WoWs helped out with the camo for the others but it's accuracy only goes so far like on gun turrets, range finders ect so i have to try find pictures of ships to complete the picture if you will. Take the Scharnhorst for example, This is the Mid 42 Norwegian camo that's in the game but there are small differences like the turrets all have a different pattern and the ranger finders are grey not found in the game. It's something i got onto when i was doing Nelson and it got me thinking how can all the guns have the same camo and after researching they didn't. The Nelson's i just left it cause they was already done but the others hadn't gotten along that far so they could be changed. The Colors are all accurate to my knowledge, the hardest being the blue grey for the Arizona but managed to find it after asking a guy on Youtube what he used to paint his haha such is the pursuit for accuracy!

Sometimes i can't find any pictures of specific area's on certain ships, then i just take an uneducated guess like if the superstructure is blue for example, then the secondary gun in front must also be blue; Seems logical 

As for the completion times, that all varies.

Prinz Eugen i've had since 2018/19 and its still not completed. I started it but the results i ended up with i didn't like so i put it away until last year and undone all previous work as started again, the paint was miles off and the fitment of parts was horrible. It's looking alot better but continues to be on the back burner to the others which i went out of a spree and ordered 5 with a 2 week period so then i had others to do which i rotate.

On & off builds can take up to a year, I paint by hand and that takes up a lot of time and interest in a certain ship changes from time to time but also different companies have very different qualities in their kits and amount of parts.  

My usual scale is around the 1:600 mark but not companies use the same scale, If anything different countries use different scales and scale isn't a sign of good detail. AirFix & Revell have good size but the details are pants and not very accurate but the Arizona Or Texas are from Asia at the scale of 1:700 but there details are vastly superior also utilizing photo etched brass parts.

Sorry for the long winded answer :D

e5738b6ee7d0ebef0bd3d25b7e5f3418.jpg

4dcbd7b8b8bb40ccbfd0d70df6b739a8.jpg

WG Staff
1,419 posts
780 battles

@Skyee_8492Don't even worry I really appreciated your detailed answer. I can tell that you are moved by a true passion. Have you thought about using an airbrush for coloring?

• Cool 1

[91-BS]
Players
154 posts
56 minutes ago, TheWarJaC said:

Don't even worry I really appreciated your detailed answer. I can tell that you are moved by a true passion. Have you thought about using an airbrush for coloring?

Initially i did but i don't really have the space for that kind of set up and the constant setting up and breaking down would be a faff due to the space in between times. 

WG Staff
1,419 posts
780 battles
14 ore fa, Skyee_8492 ha scritto:

Initially i did but i don't really have the space for that kind of set up and the constant setting up and breaking down would be a faff due to the space in between times. 

Yeah, I understand, it could be not very practical. The airbrush, in my opinion, can give a very nice "realistic" touch to the textures though. 😊

• Cool 1

[91-BS]
Players
154 posts
8 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

Yeah, I understand, it could be not very practical. The airbrush, in my opinion, can give a very nice "realistic" touch to the textures though. 😊

I agree, the quality of the finish is always much better as well but that being said i can't complain, As long as the quality is at a half way make i can live with it haha

• Cool 1

WG Staff
1,419 posts
780 battles
16 ore fa, Skyee_8492 ha scritto:

I agree, the quality of the finish is always much better as well but that being said i can't complain, As long as the quality is at a half way make i can live with it haha

Ahha good point. The quality of your models is already good in fact😉 . Which other ships are you planning to do?

• Cool 1

[91-BS]
Players
154 posts
46 minutes ago, TheWarJaC said:

Ahha good point. The quality of your models is already good in fact😉 . Which other ships are you planning to do?

Thanks :) The quality is passable to a point i feel happy with the end result. 

Other warships i'd like to have are mainly Tirpitz wearing it's Norwegian camo,

Roma, Sims, Graf Spee & perhaps Duke Of York, Hood, California.

It's slowly getting out hand already to be honest haha and i'm already running out of room so 2 or 3 more and that's my limit.

imageproxy.jpg

WG Staff
1,419 posts
780 battles

@Skyee_8492 you definitely have a busy schedule! The picture is very nice, which ship is it?

(Ah one the meanwhile I finished the drawing of the Roma )

Spoiler

IMG_4801.JPG

• Cool 3

WG Staff
1,419 posts
780 battles
1 ora fa, Nauseica ha scritto:

Really beautiful draw :)

Thanks a lot. I will organize, hopefully in the next future, a giveaway through our official Facebook and Twitter accounts. If you live in the EU and participate you can have a chance to win the original artwork!

TheWarJaC

[91-BS]
Players
154 posts
21 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

@Skyee_8492 you definitely have a busy schedule! The picture is very nice, which ship is it?

(Ah one the meanwhile I finished the drawing of the Roma )

Hide contents

IMG_4801.JPG

That's sweet asf, Very well done sir! :) 

And yeah but i have plenty of time atm as we all do haha

• Cool 1