Kruzenstern

Izumo Armor

15 comments in this topic

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
723 posts
2,861 battles

The game lists the Izumos Armor as 1-152mm.. Which seems ridiculously low for a BB. Is that a typo or does it really have basically no armor?

[ST-EU]
Supertest Coordinator
888 posts
3,758 battles

The game lists the Izumos Armor as 1-152mm.. Which seems ridiculously low for a BB. Is that a typo or does it really have basically no armor?

It is not a typo, it is the real armor

[OM]
Beta Tester
1,051 posts
19,226 battles

the izumo BB dies much too quick! even a fuso can wreck it easily, specially the turrest blow up MUCH MUCH too fast!

just lost all 3 from one salvo!

this is ridiculous and renders the izumo beside the WORST gunspread ive seen on jap. BBs totally worthless!

remember....its T9!

what a crap

Beta Tester
304 posts
919 battles

yeah I struggle to see how they could have come up with a worse design/worse values for a T9.

Almost as if they want people to spend tons of money going up the US BB chain instead....

[PRAVD]
Weekend Tester
3,802 posts
5,468 battles

yeah I struggle to see how they could have come up with a worse design/worse values for a T9.

Almost as if they want people to spend tons of money going up the US BB chain instead....

They want people to use free xp. They already confessed they do that in WoT, so it's no surprise if it is the case with this ship. 

Remember this ship leads to Yamato and everyone will want to grind for it, so it's only logical they put the most expensive free xp ship right before it.

WG has always been known of putting money before gameplay, so expect everything.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
304 posts
919 battles

I see..they want people to play other, better ships and gain free xp and spend money to unlock yamato...yeah makes sense. Just wasn't aware WG put money that far ahead of any consideration of balance.

[PRAVD]
Weekend Tester
3,802 posts
5,468 battles

I see..they want people to play other, better ships and gain free xp and spend money to unlock yamato...yeah makes sense. Just wasn't aware WG put money that far ahead of any consideration of balance.

Basically yes, assuming the ship really is bad. I haven't tried it, the only video I saw about it in she wasn't that bad, but if she really is, then expect it will stay like this. If her stats really suffer then they might throw 0.1 turret traverse or increase her top speed by 1 knot or something, you know... "buff!" (just like how they buffed Zaou) 

Beta Tester
304 posts
919 battles

Well it's armor values are such that basically anything will penetrate and/or set it on fire, combine that with very wide dispersion of main guns and you really have a winner....

Alpha Tester
127 posts
652 battles

The Izumo makes you want to rebuy your Nagato. That should be enough for anyone who played IJN BBs.

For the rest, the Izumo besides having very very thin armor, comes with a huge side profile which makes it horrible at dodging shots. It also is very wide and flat, which means fires everywhere.

By now you're probably thinking something along the lines "don't do broadsides but rather go head on towards your target", for that it features all forward turret placement... except the third turret can't fire directly ahead.

So you either expose more of the thinly-armored-huge-profile by getting the third turret into firing position or cut your firepower by a third.

The AA is decent after the hull upgrades, stock its defenseless.

Speed and maneuverability again decent, even while running stock configuration.

Secondary batteries are rear mounted which is beneficial if you're running away from DDs, but then again when is a BB running away from a DD?

How is it supposed to be tier 9 material I can't figure out, tier for tier the Amagi is superior in everything except AA.

Beta Tester
564 posts
3,552 battles

Wargaming is known for putting so called "XP sinks" or bad ships into the tech tree, to make people intentionally skip them to waste their accumulated free xp, or make them convert to free xp from gold.

That is a below the belt tactic in the gaming industry, it's basically a sign with neon text saying: "WE WANT MORE MONEY"

So expect more bad ships in all of the tech trees, in every class onwards.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,232 posts
7,329 battles

I've had the Izumo for a few days now.... god it's awfull.

The middle turret pretty much gets taken out every battle.

My hit percentage is quite high for a BB with it, but I do only half the damage compared to even the Nagato? What is going on there?

And even angling you take 5-10k damage with every volley someone throws at you, even from tier 6 and 7 ships.

At tier 8 it might've been sort of decent, but it's a really, REALLY bad tier 9 ship. Even the "free xp sink" tanks in WoT are at least playable. I play this ship first every day, so I can get the 1.5x (after 4+ battles), but I don't play it for fun.

Edited by Loran_Battle

Weekend Tester
166 posts
120 battles

the reason is the armor, with such low armor values you will take more HE damage. With a cruisers you easily hit izumu for 5-6k damage. Thats basically one AP shell penetration. Not to mention the chance to cause fire.

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,045 posts
7,552 battles

Should have had the Tosa class at tier 9 I guess.

Tosa, Kii or even Number 13. I mean all three are roughly comparable to Iowa in many respects. Ok, Number 13 would probably be a little too powerful. But Kii would be similar to Amagi, so an obviously continuation of that design.

Or they could just have given Izumo proper armour... Yeah, I know, a silly notion.

Edited by Unintentional_submarine