Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Subcommander_M1K3

IFHE on Russian cruisers?

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[FAILS]
Players
553 posts
19,952 battles
6 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Same with Molotov.

Molotov can see tier 8 though, Kirov can't. I have IFHE on my Budyonny captain whom I also use for Molotov. Whether it's worth it to cut you fire chance like that on the chance that you are being uptiered is anyone's own choice, but I prefer consistent damage to RNG-related fire whenever possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,339 posts
9,213 battles
Just now, BruceRKF said:

Molotov can see tier 8 though, Kirov can't. I have IFHE on my Budyonny captain whom I also use for Molotov.

Just take the fire chance and spam superstructure. It does quite well in that, against lower tiers you'd lose fire chance and the few games against T8s I had were against Massachusetts, Bismarck and Vladivostok, highlighting one important point: Half the T8 BBs you'd not pen reliably anyway.

 

And Budyonny needs IFHE to even go through T6 BBs and many cruisers. Much more value there than on Molotov. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,894 posts
27,557 battles
14 minutes ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

Kirov also doesn't need IFHE as the HE pen is 30mm

 

Don't forget Kirov will be moved from the line and new T5 would need IFHE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles

I removed IFHE from my captain and I’m doing quite good with Chapayev: halving my fire chance only to pen 32mm doesn’t seem worth considering that German, Russian and American BBs have large portions of armour which shatters regardless.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
222 posts
12,144 battles

Agree, all t8-10 150's gt 30mm baked in so you're now only crossing 1 major threshold and a good portion of the top tier bb's have mid decks which are thicker than 32mm anyway. Decided to go the same way with IJN gunboats, as they also melt cruisers now with 30mm base pen. Before you need it to cross 25, 27, 30 and 32mm armour.

 

T6 & 7 need to to be able to pen higher tier cruisers and same tier bb's. Sadly other than superstructure, you knackered against T8 and higher bb's

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,086 posts
11,852 battles

IFHE and CLs in general became "damned if you do, damned if you don't". Either you deal fully recoverable damage or you bump into ships you can't pen anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAD]
Players
2,672 posts
11,911 battles
3 hours ago, Bics93 said:

I removed IFHE from my captain and I’m doing quite good with Chapayev: halving my fire chance only to pen 32mm doesn’t seem worth considering that German, Russian and American BBs have large portions of armour which shatters regardless.

I think the same way, now I'm happy shooting even well armoured battleships as armour makes no difference anymore.

The 30mm pen buff has made this a real choice which was of course Wargaming's aim with this.

I'm not quite ready to praise Wargaming for this but it's much better than I expected.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,086 posts
11,852 battles
4 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

I think the same way, now I'm happy shooting even well armoured battleships as armour makes no difference anymore.

The 30mm pen buff has made this a real choice which was of course Wargaming's aim with this.

I'm not quite ready to praise Wargaming for this but it's much better than I expected.

TBH, WG went other way, as IFHE is now borderline useless, being viable against not that big amount of BBs, while CLs now can casually brutalize other cruisers straight out of the box.

And certainly "fires OP" topics will increase in frequency:cap_tea:

which may or may not lead to fire nerfs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAD]
Players
2,672 posts
11,911 battles
16 minutes ago, Panocek said:

TBH, WG went other way, as IFHE is now borderline useless, being viable against not that big amount of BBs, while CLs now can casually brutalize other cruisers straight out of the box.

And certainly "fires OP" topics will increase in frequency:cap_tea:

which may or may not lead to fire nerfs

You are probably right although all the youtubers I follow suggest IFHE as before the changes and LittleWhiteMouse has a pinned post above where she more or less suggests the same thing. So plenty are using IFHE and therefore setting fewer fires.

 

I agree about the cruiser interaction, what I did to a Charles Martel in my Bayard was a lot of fun but i felt bad for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
222 posts
12,144 battles

The real problem is t6 and 7 where its still very useful as it crosses a lot of armour thresholds that you're going to meet and then you hit t8 and it only crosses 1. For those that move captains up as they progress they've got to choose and then stuck with it or pay for respec.

 

I'm not convinced the change has actually reduced fires though, which is what a lot of high tier bb players were complaining about. If anything its made it worse. Still throwing HE into their superstructures, but now with higher fire chance as I'm speccing out of IFHE and speccing DE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
2 ore fa, Commander_Ericson ha scritto:

I'm not convinced the change has actually reduced fires though, which is what a lot of high tier bb players were complaining about. If anything its made it worse

 

I got 3 witherers in my last 15 Chapayev games, the 3% fire chance I got from speccing out IFHE could have contribuited... 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×