Sign in to follow this  
baiselmareo6

How to play Koenigsberg and subsequent German cruisers?

7 comments in this topic

Players
1 post

Title says it all.

Background: I'm a War Thunder player and play WoWs for my usual naval fix because War Thunder Naval sucks. I've never really gotten truly used to WG mechanics such as commander skills and the entire spotting system. So when what I say is something stupid or something that doesn't make sense to most, please don't be too harsh...

I've grinded up to Tier V German cruisers, and the Koenigsberg is quite nice. But I've not really gotten a grasp as to how it works. From Tier I - IV, I would take my cruiser and act as DD support, hitting from about 8 - 10km away with HE, and hoping for the best. Once I hit tier V, everything hit the fan. I've played 2 matches in my Koenigsberg. I got repair party II and Hydro search II on it, main armaments mod and another which I forgot (posting full stats in comments) and the stock hull and aiming system cbd productsGame mode: each team has 1 cap and there were 2 other free caps. Capture the free caps to win / earn points

Map: Okinawa.

I went to cap the northern cap area with a DD, and then got either citadel'd or ammo racked by a Kongo and an Omaha sniping from 10km.

Match 2: Uptier against tier VI.

Game mode: domination.

Map: Either North or Okinawa

I go cap and act like DD support as usual. I then proceed to get sniped from 12km away by a Graf Spee camping the east side of the map and then finished off by an Emil Bertin who was throwing potshots at me.

How am I supposed to play this ship?

How do I counter these snipers and campers?

How does this whole spotting system and game mechanics work? I'm not really sure how to apply them even after watching the tutorials that were shown at the start of the game... Just hoped for the best and here I am.

Thanks for reading.

[CATS]
Players
27,511 posts
14,588 battles

Play Koenigsberg from longrange.

Make sure that enemy BB are 15+km away from you. You can be closer to other ships.

Only when you know where all enemy BB are and you know where they are shooting at, can you get closer.

Use angling to prevent citadels from enemy Cruisers or even Destroyers.

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,485 posts
37,182 battles

Koenigsberg and nurnberg are kiters, their turret layout makes it harder to push but for kiting are perfect. Same in T9 Roon.

• Cool 1

Players
10,117 posts
11,884 battles

Long range fire support in first half of the battle and WSAD keys are your friend - you don't rely on armor in a cruiser and Konigberg is no exception. And this trait continues down the line, though from tier 8 onwards, Hipper, citadel is covered in "turtleback" armor, which can make them embarrassingly tough cookies against AP shells at shorter ranges.

2 hours ago, baiselmareo6 said:

I've never really gotten truly used to WG mechanics such as commander skills

Those are rather straightforward and descriptions are rather clear. Basic cruiser build, covering IMO all the bases would be this

Przechwytywanie.png

Priority Target->Adrenaline Rush (if you find turret traverse unbearable then Expert Marksman)->Demolition Expert (unless you find yourself notoriously running out of utility consumables like Hydro or Heal, then Superintendent)->Concealment Expert. Then spend your points at your leisure

And then basic DD

Przechwytywanie.png

on top of that you pick skills you think you might find helpful, like Basic Firing Training, Torpedo Armament Expertise and other stuff

and the entire spotting system

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-guides/how-it-works-spotting-system/

got either citadel'd or ammo racked by a Kongo and an Omaha sniping from 10km

In WoWs if you get ammorack, you immediately sunk and get awarded with "Detonation" achievement. Which in turn gives you 10 Juliet Charlie signals, removing chance of detonation. So citadel hits are more likely.

sniped from 12km

10 or 12km is medium if not bordering on short range in WoWs terms. "sniping" usually starts past 18km and at such distances you usually have over 10s time to use WSAD hax to get out of the harms way. Priority Target with number increasing would be one tell tale of someone lining up their shot, alternatively "Incoming Fire Alert" skill, warning you when shells are already fired

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,873 posts
14,133 battles
8 hours ago, baiselmareo6 said:

Once I hit tier V, everything hit the fan.

As you've probably noticed, that's the point where you enter +2 MM and (due to the protected MM of the lower tiers) it often is *plus* two.

In practical terms, this means that understanding game mechanics, knowing your ships, and having good enough captains starts to become really important.

Don't worry about hitting a bit of a wall; it's very usual when you start to face more alarming opponents - a bit more practice and learning will see you through it. What @Panocek says is a very good starting point.

Players
4 posts
1,446 battles

I got the Königsberg as an aside, as I wanted a cruiser that could get numerous ribbons for certain clan competitions. My captain is still below 10 skillpoints, so no concealment or IFHE. I find the best thing for her is to stay at a very long distance and bombard BBs and other slow-moving targets. Sure, you will only do minimum damage to begin with, as her guns are a bit anemic, but with fires, this will start to add up, and add up, and add up some more. You just have to survive long enough to give yourself the chance for this adding-up to take effect.

So you stay at distances WAY over 12 km. Not necessarily maximum range, but as far away as you can while you can still guarantee hits on an enemy. As others here have written: Know where the enemy BBs are! If you know their position and that of large gun cruisers, you know where the dangerous hits could come from. I usually play without Priority Target and Incoming Fire Alert, but they might both help you, as your main chance of survival is to avoid being hit by the big guns. To achieve that, you have to be not only on your toes, but keep moving. Nothing dies more quickly than a stationary light cruiser, and that includes the ones with smoke, more often than not. Once you realise that a BB has launched shots at you, you have to manouver to try to avoid getting hit. If RNGsus says "no", you will still get hammered, but far less often than when you get close to the cap and try to support your DDs.

Tier VI CVs are obviously another source of worry, but you just have to hope for the best (ever since the CV rework, there is no real counterplay). Tier IV CVs, you should be able to handle.

Should you make it into the late game, you have a few trumps up your sleeve: DDs have to fear your long-range hydro, BBs cannot follow you and you might even outrange some. Your ship is perfect for kiting, but now you can actually push into areas where there are no enemy BBs. Also, the AP is superb if you can get a broadside target, especially with your high shot frequency.

I use this playstyle for both the K'berg and the Kirov, with slight variations, and the Kirov is doing okay so far, as my most-played ship.

The frustrating aspect of this playstyle is a lack of kills, as it turns you into a support damage dealer, and that can come back and bite your team, as you are not the guy who can step up and erase that 3000 HP BB when it is absolutely vital to do so. Also, DDs obviously benefit from good cruiser support, but the K'berg is not well-suited for the job, as she is so bloody fragile and needs to get off a shedload of shots to achieve anything. The Kirov can do better here, as she has larger guns, but she is less agile and therefore requires some angling, but with the K'berg, I fear even angling will not do much for you.

As for the rest of the line: I hear the N'berg plays very similarly, just with the added "fun and engaging" experience of meeting CVs that are two tiers higher. My best buddy in WoWS still has her and takes her out occasionally, as he has a perma camo for her, but he is not too hot on her. He absolutely loves the Yorck, but tells me she plays differently, and he has only started on the Hipper and cannot say much about her apart from "low damage output".

Sign in to follow this