You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

WGC: Log in to Experience It All

67 comments in this topic

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
3,886 posts

When you introduced the launcher I made a long list of technical details I need answered before I even consider the change. I believe it was @MrConway who said he'd try to get answers for them from the devs. Those answers never appeared.

We are still missing a reduced functionality option for the WGC. Without social media inclusion, without a browser, and self closing when the game is launched (don't know... this last one might already be implemented). I remember quite a few users asking for that.

• Cool 15

Players
202 posts

Over 2 years ago - a lot of players were not very happy with that idea. I wonder how many you forced to use it - because there was no launcher left.
Bravo - to implement something noone I know asked for ?!? BTW it also means that some players I know will not be able to play anymore - because your WGC DOES NOT WORK for them. Congratulations!! This is something I call unbelieveable behaviour.

• Cool 5

Players
1,927 posts
18,573 battles
4 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

and self closing when the game is launched

You only need the launcher for game updates, you can launch the game directly with a link to the wows.exe.

• Cool 2

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
3,886 posts
9 minutes ago, Ze_Reckless said:

You only need the launcher for game updates, you can launch the game directly with a link to the wows.exe.

Ok, true enough.

They do make the launcher the default launch option for your game though. You have to make the change manually. So while this option exists, it is not Wargamings intend that their players make use of it. WG wants it to be the center of their game experience, implied heavily by their advertsising. They want the launcher to be active. Auto-close is an often requested feature by the community so far ignored by Wargaming.

They want their marketing tool on our PCs and they want it to be active.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
22,616 posts
13,217 battles

We knew this was coming. Still not looking forward to it.

I am no fan of game centers. They are bloaty and tend to make gaming complicated.

• Cool 6

[SWTP]
Players
1,589 posts
11,161 battles
41 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

and self closing when the game is launched (don't know... this last one might already be implemented)

Indeed it is already implemented. Nerveless even without starting anything on a fresh boot a few WG processes are running in the background all the time.

Untitled.jpg

• Cool 3

[-MCD-]
Players
24 posts
6,789 battles

for those of us who play through the steam platform, im not sure whether we'll be effected by this.

but i certainly dont need it, from my point of view and method of interaction with the game, WG are trying to reinvent the wheel, and their efforts will result in the wheel being a square.....

• Cool 2

5,351 posts
9,994 battles
3 minutes ago, Carramber1 said:

im not sure whether we'll be effected by this.

Steam is not affected. According to Sehales in the German announcement, Steam is completely independent.

• Cool 1

[EUTF]
Players
66 posts
5,051 battles

I do use for the last 3 months the WGC with no problems mostly cause the wot need it for the Christmas event (PR event was so "amazing") so i kinda did it just to see what gonna happen and have fun with small lolitanks in holidays.

WGC now runs decent even in my old pc but saying that you are stoping the support for technical issues is kinda "lie", its mostly management issues and force people to move to the new launcher so maybe they can spend money to your other games there

Spoiler

my feeling now for WGC
tumblr_n35fr14IxQ1tw1vhco1_250.gif

• Cool 2

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
5,084 posts
1,549 battles

When you introduced the launcher I made a long list of technical details I need answered before I even consider the change. I believe it was @MrConway who said he'd try to get answers for them from the devs. Those answers never appeared.

Which points?

We are still missing a reduced functionality option for the WGC. Without social media inclusion, without a browser, and self closing when the game is launched (don't know... this last one might already be implemented). I remember quite a few users asking for that.

We added a "minimize to try on game launch"-feature. You won't really notice the launcher running in background. Whether you want it to run upon system start

or only after you launch it is also up to you.

41 minutes ago, CollingwoodDK said:

Over 2 years ago - a lot of players were not very happy with that idea. I wonder how many you forced to use it - because there was no launcher left.

We made a lot of changes, added improvements and bug fixes and several new features. Less than over 90% of the active players have already switched to the WGC.

41 minutes ago, CollingwoodDK said:

Bravo - to implement something noone I know asked for ?!? BTW it also means that some players I know will not be able to play anymore - because your WGC DOES NOT WORK for them. Congratulations!! This is something I call unbelieveable behaviour.

There has been quite some time since we first released it in beta and back then some players had issues. I am not aware of any critical issues right now. If you friends cannot use it, please ask them to submit a ticket to our customer service so we can look into it.

12 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

We knew this was coming. Still not looking forward to it.

I am no fan of game centers. They are bloaty and tend to make gaming complicated.

The WGC is pretty lightweight and you can also use the low usage option, which allows you to still use your PC as normal while updating. The pre-load update feature also helps with not putting to much load onto the system and be ready even faster after an update was released.

[CATS]
Players
22,616 posts
13,217 battles
1 minute ago, Sehales said:

The WGC is pretty lightweight and you can also use the low usage option, which allows you to still use your PC as normal while updating. The pre-load update feature also helps with not putting to much load onto the system and be ready even faster after an update was released.

I hope.

Nothing is more annoying than starting the game, only to find out that the launcher needs his 3rd update this week and cannot connect to the update server and you have to wait 5 minutes, again...

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
5,084 posts
1,549 battles
9 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

Indeed it is already implemented. Nerveless even without starting anything on a fresh boot a few WG processes are running in the background all the time.

Untitled.jpg

Do you have it in auto-start (Launch Game Center when I start the computer)?

image.png

If you untick the box, it will not start on system startup.

5 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

Steam is not affected. According to Sehales in the German announcement, Steam is completely independent.

Yup.

9 minutes ago, Carramber1 said:

for those of us who play through the steam platform, im not sure whether we'll be effected by this.

but i certainly dont need it, from my point of view and method of interaction with the game, WG are trying to reinvent the wheel, and their efforts will result in the wheel being a square.....

No, Steam is not affected. This only affects the users of the old/legacy launcher for WoWs.

3 minutes ago, Nauseica said:

WGC now runs decent even in my old pc but saying that you are stoping the support for technical issues is kinda "lie", its mostly management issues and force people to move to the new launcher so maybe they can spend money to your other games there

Reveal hidden contents

We have to constantly support it. When implementing changes to WGC, there needed to still be the same thing for the old launcher. They work differently though and are not compatible.

Players
2 posts
6,076 battles

Why i cant choose the destination of this ******luncher?!?! 

Why you tell me where need to install? FIX it! I dont wanna instal to the C:

[SWTP]
Players
1,589 posts
11,161 battles
4 minutes ago, Sehales said:

Do you have it in auto-start (Launch Game Center when I start the computer)?

I do have an  auto-start on because I want to download updates as soon as possible and I do not mind a few processes in a  background.

But some do mind and is it on by default or not?

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
5,084 posts
1,549 battles
2 minutes ago, DariusJacek said:

I do have an  auto-start on because I want to download updates as soon as possible and I do not mind a few processes in a  background.

But some do mind and is it on by default or not?

If you are not actively using it and it is just active in background, minimized, it uses only few ressources.

If you want to have updates being downloaded in background, it needs to be active. Don't worry, it shouldn't have any impact on your PC's performance and if it does, you can further limit the download and install speed to reduce system load.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[A-Z]
Players
236 posts

I'm not a fan of any game centers, mainly because:

- they popup hell tons of useless information and functions

- they are heavier than launchers

- in case of WGC, it don't close itself when game is starting

And because of that, they are much more annoying than launchers.

That's why...

Meanwhile, we would like to let everyone know the following: starting from May 20, we’ll no longer support the Launcher due to technical reasons. This means that the Launcher will no longer be available for download for those who might be inclined to log in to the game that way. All players currently using the Launcher will automatically be moved to the WGC.

This is (in my opinion) second worst decision made by this game devs.

Aircraft Carrier rework still holds the crown for "the worst".

• Boring 1

[HEYET]
Alpha Tester
30 posts
8,911 battles

Here's why I have a problem with launchers:

1) You don't need to have a separate application to download updates. Really. Tons of examples that check for updates upon launch and handle it seamlessly.

* If you want to manage data loads during updates (ie spread downloading updates to before patch date) - you can email me a link beforehand. I'll happily download it myself. If you want to use me as a torrent node to have me host your stuff, i have it blocked anyway - and you really don't have a right to.

2) You don't need to have an app sitting in my computer, active, at any moment other than downloading updates.

3) News items are already in the game. I don't need to/want to read it from a separate application

Here's the part that makes me uncomfortable: Since there are MANY alternative ways to handle everything you claim the launcher is for, I'm automatically suspecting that you use that launcher to poke around in my system. I haven't run wireshark & peeked. Maybe you don't. Doesn't mean you won't introduce it a year down the line when everyone has verified that you don't do anything naughty. (Don't quote privacy rules, etc. they're vague enough to let you get away with murder). Launchers are a security hole waiting to be exploited. I don't care how good your coders are (as an aside, I have HUGE respect for the wgn devs, wows team in particular). So you're either trying to sneak in naughty stuff in the long term or you're taking the lazy route and putting my system at risk. Either way i'm NOT happy with launchers - ANY launcher, including steam.

Thankfully I'm switching to Linux where i can easily control/monitor what happens in my system. Except your WGC updates break. Not the games, they run fine. WGC breaks.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[HDMS]
[HDMS]
Players
53 posts
2 hours ago, CollingwoodDK said:

Thats the way WG act, only cares about players as long as they pay and if they dont comply we force them too.

And for the "starting from May 20, we’ll no longer support the Launcher due to technical reasons":   Bad coding - wg give up on the ctd crash of launcher and the hang when games is closed.

Time to move on....    :cap_old:

• Boring 1

[CAPT]
Players
419 posts
11,783 battles

"Tons of goodies when the launcher transitions" = tier I-IV ships that have no real use, just like the freebie given to new players? 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[GLOBS]
[GLOBS]
Players
200 posts
13,418 battles

@Sehales  Hi . I have the WGC for my EU account , Tanks Ships and Planes . ( yes I am that mad ) . and a Stand alone launcher for my NA Account on Ships .  is the WGC capable of having the Two regions on the same WGC ?????????/ I was told it won;t work . I play and stream from  Both EU and NA  regularly. .   Help Please  :Smile_unsure: :fish_nerv:

Players
984 posts
2,733 battles

Guys, what do you mean with "launcher", because I'm a bit confused. Btw, it has been more than a year that i haven't used the WGC to do anything but for the download and installation updates; to start the game i use a link on my desktop to the .exe file.

• Cool 1

Players
340 posts
11,256 battles

@ gmomkey Yes, it works. Just add account and change the region .

[PUPSI]
Privateer
9,632 posts
12 minutes ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

what do you mean with "launcher"

Spoiler

launcher.JPG.0fdf8ef9fd2cf84d18e9bb05824516e5.JPG

• Cool 2