38 comments in this topic

Players
312 posts

So I managed to grind out Hakuryu, ending up with a 62% winrate on the Shokaku and feeling relatively confident in it.
Moved on to Lexington - which I've always had a poor winrate in - and I'm just sucking so bad.

Main issue is killing DDs.  In the Shokaku the rocket groupings are tight enough to land solid hits on enemy DDs no matter how they angle and the planes nimble enough to get the recticle on the enemy strike after strike.  In the Lex, the enemy can just go head-on and instead of a 5k strike that I'd expect from Shokaku, I'm getting 1-2k strikes with HVARs.  Even if I get a broadside on a DD and landing a dozen or so rockets, I'm still looking at 3-4k - presumably due to modules absorbing all the damage and / or damage saturation.
Tiny Tims are a bit better in terms of the hits actually counting for something, but frequently bracket the target to deal 0 damage, and even a little adjusting to react to last minute evasions makes the recticle bloom.

A compounding issue is the slow speed of the planes - even battleships have all day and all night to evade incoming (accelerated, no less) torps due to how slow the attack runs are; against the rocket planes and dive bombers ships can counter-orientate against me because of how long it takes to close to target, travel through the attack run, wait for the aimtime to debloom, and then finally strike. 

I'm hoping things will improve when I get a few more captain skillpoints (currently at 10, so lacking Survival Expert; and torpedo acceleration is robbing the skillpoints that would otherwise be in Improved Engines), but I can't help but feel I'm missing something about the play style.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,835 posts
14,106 battles
26 minutes ago, Ace42X said:

Main issue is killing DDs.

Speaking as a DD main, the biggest threat CVs present is spotting, and also them preventing you doing whatever it was you wanted to be doing i.e. you can't ignore planes, because if you don't dodge any CV will do you too much damage, so you're distracted from capping, launching torps etc. etc.

Proper CV players will be able to advise better, but there may be some legs in using your damage dealing to scrag fatter classes, and your spotting and mere presence just to make DDs' lives miserable; hopefully, your allies will do much of the necessary damage to the DDs that you spot, and then you can finish them off, as by that stage fewer hits/less damage will be needed.

If you feel a powerful urge to be doing damage more or less from the off (I can dig that), bear in mind that even modest damage - if you can't heal - will change how a lot of DDs play, and make them more cautious/vulnerable once they get spotted, so increasing your team's chances of winning.

As a DD main, I'm actually quite relieved that a lot of the underhanded 'teamplay' stuff is often not that well rewarded - if it were, CVs would have less motivation to chase damage and would be a *real* menace...!

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,174 battles

as stated above use dbs

can easy get 8-10k hits and due to dd aa being near useless you can circle and get another drop if the dd is away from enemy

always drop as late as possible for the max hits

the rocket fighters are fine for killing dds but the tiny tims are tbh in my view crap for dd hunting

• Cool 2

Players
7,157 posts
245 battles
10 minutes ago, Ace42X said:

Just the job, thanks!

Do IJN divebombers have an incompatible drop pattern?  Or would this apply to kaga too?

Probs similar, but dont bother using non kaga DB's for anything but cruisers and above, since thats where you get most of the damage from for those.

Players
3,864 posts
11,355 battles
Vor 14 Minuten, Ace42X sagte:

Just the job, thanks!

Do IJN divebombers have an incompatible drop pattern?  Or would this apply to kaga too?

IJN DBs drop differently with Center cross and center line horizontal having the best Hit chance 

• Cool 2

[BBMM]
Players
6,148 posts
8,082 battles
6 minutes ago, Ace42X said:

Just the job, thanks!

Kaga works, as it has HE bombs. Other IJN CV have AP-bombs, they don't do much against DDs. 

However Kaga has far less rockets and has a longer aiming time - not THAT good against DDs.

What you CAN do with Kaga is drop behind the DD, forcing him to go one direction... then cross-drop the next set. :Smile_trollface:

If you want real DD smackers take the Brits. Rockets good, HE-carpet-bombs impossible to miss.

BTW have you tried these filthy tricks already:

- if DD smokes up, torp his butt... you sort of know/guess where he'll park...

- if DD fires main guns from smoke, well, you also know his position... torp/carpet-bomb-rocket...

RNGesus' gift to CV: a division with 3x Smolensk (or something) that use eachothers smoke... TORPSOUP TIME!!! :Smile_playing:

• Cool 2

Players
3,106 posts
19,522 battles
1 hour ago, Ace42X said:

A compounding issue is the slow speed of the planes

:fish_nerv:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
2,930 posts

Spot.

Never leave a dd to relax. Hunt it down relentlessly cuz odds are if you don't it will come for you, as it should.

If tiny tins dont work (they do),

use booms (just line him up),

and then torps, I release them from behind for the lols on each side, especially if he's spotted and can't turn.

Lexi kills dds every which way, just give it time.

• Cool 2

[BBMM]
Players
6,148 posts
8,082 battles
15 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

Spot.

Never leave a dd to relax. Hunt it down relentlessly cuz odds are if you don't it will come for you, as it should.

True. Teammates can kill a Dd much faster than you can. 

Spot them, and a CL can dakka dakka it to bits in 3 shots, less time than it takes you to do one drop.

15 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

If tiny tins dont work (they do),

use booms (just line him up),

and then torps, I release them from behind for the lols on each side, especially if he's spotted and can't turn.

Lexi kills dds every which way, just give it time.

Lexi can do it in all 3 ways. Rockets, bombs and torps. 

For example Ryujo cannot, bombs don't cut the cake much. 

I prefer to leave DDs alone though, as long as they're not a threat. 

They're easy enough to kill usually but most of them get themselves killed even faster than I can.

Yolooooo to cap, meet cruiser, smoke up, get radared/spotted anyway and BLAP. No points for you and time wasted to chase those.

• Cool 1

Players
312 posts
7 hours ago, beercrazy said:

can easy get 8-10k hits and due to dd aa being near useless you can circle and get another drop if the dd is away from enemy

I'm only averaging 3k per drop against angled (broadside) targets, even against immobile DDs in the practice room going lengthways with fully aimed spot-on drops I have the bombs scatter both left and right of the ship for 0 damage on occasion =/
Also having ships like Friesland churn through enough planes to limit me to less than two full squadrons getting to drop.

I just don't get it - 3 bomb hits against a kitakaze, 5.7k damage...  14 HVAR ocket hits, 7k damage.
How are you getting 10k hits when *perfect drops on immobile targets can land 0 hits*?!?

** been practising realigning with the targets riiiiiight before releasing, getting far more consistent results now in the practice room.  How easy it will be to transfer those manouvres to a game will be the next big question **

Edited by Ace42X
PS

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,174 battles
12 hours ago, Ace42X said:

I'm only averaging 3k per drop against angled (broadside) targets, even against immobile DDs in the practice room going lengthways with fully aimed spot-on drops I have the bombs scatter both left and right of the ship for 0 damage on occasion =/
Also having ships like Friesland churn through enough planes to limit me to less than two full squadrons getting to drop.

I just don't get it - 3 bomb hits against a kitakaze, 5.7k damage...  14 HVAR ocket hits, 7k damage.
How are you getting 10k hits when *perfect drops on immobile targets can land 0 hits*?!?

** been practising realigning with the targets riiiiiight before releasing, getting far more consistent results now in the practice room.  How easy it will be to transfer those manouvres to a game will be the next big question **

not broadside unless you cant help it

never use the keyboard to manoeuvre the planes once your attack has started unless you have no choice as this makes the bomb drop go over large area

you need to drop once your in last seconds of the attack because that's the most chance of hitting dds and you will then get the 5/6 easy hits and they will wreck the dd

this isn't easy to do and I advise watching youtube vids on people who play cvs a lot I recommend this guy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOZ2gv_ZGomWNcQU8BBfdQ

practice a lot in the training room on learning the last second drop

the drop times of he bombs means nothing as long as you hit unlike the ap bombs that need to be dropped at different times of the attack dependent on if its cruisers or bbs and that's why he bombs are so good because hits mean damage and then some fires whereas ap bombs are very rng at times when trying to get them citadels

hope that helps

[BBMM]
Players
6,148 posts
8,082 battles
16 hours ago, Ace42X said:

That's the same I am getting, well maybe a 4-5K but not much more.

Depends on the DD and the ammo you are using. 

Heavy DD like Grozovoi will eat much more damage from TiTS than for example a Daring.

But HVAR will be better on daring as on Grozovoi lots of them will splinter.

Well they have DEF-AA, and also the "O" sector. If they use them combined yeah they'll chew your planes.

The thing is to trick them into using it, wait out the cooldown of DEF-AA, then get them to use the sector - and attack from the "wrong" side.

What I usually do is "hey there is a Friesland"throw him my last two rocket planes. 

He usually doesn't check if it is a full flight and uses his DEF-AA.... 

Do NOT go near if he hasn't used it. The only thing to do is TORP him with a sneaky move. 

Or hit him with bombs when his is parked right beside an island.

You come (unspotted, there must be no other ships near) from behind that island, and spend as little time as possible over him. 

I think they are only naming their best ones... I for sure can't do it.

NOT easy. Unless you get lucky and have a DD-player with a B0t-brain. 

Also, I have had DDs explode on impact (hurray they just got another 10 detonation flags).

I have even dev-striked cruisers (Algerie is a good one) with HE-carpetbombs. 

You think "might get a fire" and then BOOOM. But those are the exceptions.

Also had complete rockets miss, because the DD-driver was savvy. 

He saw me enter "dive mode" (you see the rest of the squad split),

turned in at full speed, giving me less time to aim - and yanked away at the last moment. 

• Cool 1

Players
312 posts
2 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

NOT easy. Unless you get lucky and have a DD-player with a B0t-brain.

On manouvreing targets in the practice room (had a Gearing bot that must've had broken steering gear because he was doing some tight circles)  I was reliably getting hits in, averaging two - but consistently getting at least one and often getting three.  Also, because of the orientation and thus bomb placement, I got several detonations with this technique, which is nice.

I need to do some more practice working out how to accomodate different approach angles, and it's a very real possibility that a human player juking will throw it off to the point of it being useless, but against less mobile targets it already opens up a lot more options for approaching from behind cover / away from supporting AA bubbles.

5 hours ago, beercrazy said:

not broadside unless you cant help it

never use the keyboard to manoeuvre the planes once your attack has started unless you have no choice as this makes the bomb drop go over large area

This is what I thought, but actually I'm having far more successes in the practice room approaching from the broadside and then doing a 90 degree turn so I'm directly above and aligned with the target on release - I'm still managing to get the aim-bloom to 0 on the bots.

At present I'm considering the possibility that even against a manouvreing target, requiring jerkier movements to keep aligned and thus potentially worse bloom, what I lose in perfect-but-RNG-thwarted accuracy, I gain in having the elipses perfectly cover my target.

Well they have DEF-AA, and also the "O" sector. If they use them combined yeah they'll chew your planes.

The thing is to trick them into using it, wait out the cooldown of DEF-AA, then get them to use the sector - and attack from the "wrong" side.

Is there a way to tell which side is being reinforced as a priority sector?
Also, I struggle to tell when Def-AA is on, I was told that flak bursts have orange firey centres when DFAA is on - but even ships with no DFAA seem to be throwing up firey flak bursts with my graphical settings =/

[BBMM]
Players
6,148 posts
8,082 battles
11 minutes ago, Ace42X said:

On manouvreing targets in the practice room (had a Gearing bot that must've had broken steering gear because he was doing some tight circles)  I was reliably getting hits in, averaging two - but consistently getting at least one and often getting three.  Also, because of the orientation and thus bomb placement, I got several detonations with this technique, which is nice.

Yes but usually players will use the flags, so no detonations. 

And more often than not... they move in all kinds of weird ways. 

On DDs "without friends"I can get three hits in, usually. 

Last one being kinda meh. 

I need to do some more practice working out how to accomodate different approach angles, and it's a very real possibility that a human player juking will throw it off to the point of it being useless, but against less mobile targets it already opens up a lot more options for approaching from behind cover / away from supporting AA bubbles.

Ah, you already found out about his friends with AA bubbles. :cap_like:

Now wait until you find out about YOUR friends... that whack the kill right before you deliver the finishing blow... :Smile_trollface:

This is what I thought, but actually I'm having far more successes in the practice room approaching from the broadside and then doing a 90 degree turn so I'm directly above and aligned with the target on release - I'm still managing to get the aim-bloom to 0 on the bots.

This also depends on what ammo you use. HVARS = best broadside. 

TiTS: 9if soft target (say, Shimakaze...) from above/45 degrees might give less overpens. 

At present I'm considering the possibility that even against a manouvreing target, requiring jerkier movements to keep aligned and thus potentially worse bloom, what I lose in perfect-but-RNG-thwarted accuracy, I gain in having the elipses perfectly cover my target.

Good. 

Is there a way to tell which side is being reinforced as a priority sector?
Also, I struggle to tell when Def-AA is on, I was told that flak bursts have orange firey centres when DFAA is on - but even ships with no DFAA seem to be throwing up firey flak bursts with my graphical settings =/

Yes it is usually quite obvious if they reinforce a sector, you see the "White beams" coming off the ships. 

But first thing: all ships that have the fat AA guns generate flak, DEF-AA or not.

I think the orange is "normal". DEF-AA gives a quite reddish hue. 

The "O" sector activates the "continuous DPS" AND "instantaneous damage".

From WOWS-Wiki: 

The Defensive AA Fire I and II consumables, available on higher-tier cruisers and destroyers, give a major boost to the effectiveness of AA defenses.

For 30-60 seconds, all continuous damage is increased 50%  and the damage caused by flak clouds is tripled.

While Defensive AA Fire (While active, the damage per second of large caliber anti-aircraft guns is increased.) is active, flak bursts will appear with a reddish hue, whereas normally flak burst animations will appear more orange.

An aircraft carrier commander should take note of the color, as this is the only visual cue that Defensive AA Fire (While active, the damage per second of large caliber anti-aircraft guns is increased.) is active.

Players
3,370 posts
22 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

True. Teammates can kill a Dd much faster than you can. 

Spot them, and a CL can dakka dakka it to bits in 3 shots, less time than it takes you to do one drop.

Lexi can do it in all 3 ways. Rockets, bombs and torps. 

For example Ryujo cannot, bombs don't cut the cake much. 

I prefer to leave DDs alone though, as long as they're not a threat. 

They're easy enough to kill usually but most of them get themselves killed even faster than I can.

Yolooooo to cap, meet cruiser, smoke up, get radared/spotted anyway and BLAP. No points for you and time wasted to chase those.

I try but fail to do a lot a damage onDD with attack lanes once spotterI sort of hop w my team will cotton on and take out the DD, but then i got a lot of abuse for this, biggest problem for me is the constant spam,someone demanding your attention when you are the other side of the map busy with trying to kill something,this is why I love two cv games.

[BBMM]
Players
6,148 posts
8,082 battles
3 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

I try but fail to do a lot a damage onDD with attack lanes once spotterI sort of hop w my team will cotton on and take out the DD, but then i got a lot of abuse for this, biggest problem for me is the constant spam,someone demanding your attention when you are the other side of the map busy with trying to kill something,this is why I love two cv games.

But your problem is to know WHEN to kill DDs. 

Let's be fair, they are meagre pickings and ordinance can be spent better to farm more damage/XP. 

And WG had put it clearly: CVs are meant to kill large ships and other threats. SO you kill DD when he is a threat. 

You kill CL/CA when he is a threat. And for the rest, you farm BBs. As you should. 

Mistakes:

1. You play CV. Abuse from teammates should be laughable, at the least. You have zero karma. YOU DO NOT CARE. You play CV - you are the most powerful ship in the whole team.

2. You spot the DD for your teammates. You are counting on teammates. DOUBLE WRONG. Proof is, teammates (especially weekend ones) are usually idiots. And YOUR spot is YOUR kill...

3. Another mistake is to worry about some random teammate (probably an idiot) DEMANDING you spend YOUR playtime pampering HIS behind. 

I hate double CV (or even triple!!) games. Usually I have no problem ff-ing up most of the ships and cleaning up the leftovers. 

I don't need/want another CV for competition. Scram. Bugger off! This is MY plunder-party... :Smile_trollface: WG should limit 1 CV per team.

And I don't bother with DDs unless they are some problem. For example if they come for ME. 

Or if they disturb cap-balance. Why would I want to kil them all? To end the game really quick?

That would mean a win??? - well, if teammates do not THROW IT, which they usually do in weekend. 

But for sure it would mean THEY do not have to worry about those scrawny DDs, and I would get meagre pickings.

General rule:

- DD on the half of the enemy is not a threat. Forget him.

- DD that is capping ruins win chance. Harrass/spot/kill him. 

- DD shooting at YOUR DD ruins win/cap chance, go help. Kill him.

- DD that is at rear shooting teammate, depends how much use is that teammate. Maybe action not needed.

- DD sitting still in ambush is stupid. Free kill. Or not, depends what you want. 

- DD coming over to YOUR half of field is having big mouth. Punish him.

For the rest, leave them be and farm BBs. Same goes for cruisers. 

See what I did there? :Smile_playing::Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 2

Players
312 posts
54 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

This also depends on what ammo you use. HVARS = best broadside. 

TiTS: 9if soft target (say, Shimakaze...) from above/45 degrees might give less overpens.

I was talking about dive-bombing specifically.

Players
3,106 posts
19,522 battles
Just now, Ace42X said:

Hey. Don't worry if you can't aim. WG fixed player problems with rocketplanes. :cap_like:

[BBMM]
Players
6,148 posts
8,082 battles
26 minutes ago, Ace42X said:

It means you have the (tech tree) US CV or Kaga, RN CV has carpet bombs and IJN CV has AP-bombs?

Then yes on US CV, two more things:

1. you best take 'em from the rear so even if they steer you can follow;

2. brake at last moment so bombs drop closest together

Players
312 posts
9 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

It means you have the (tech tree) US CV

The Lexington, which is the ship in the thread title ;)

• Cool 2

[BBMM]
Players
6,148 posts
8,082 battles
4 hours ago, Ace42X said:

The Lexington, which is the ship in the thread title ;)

My bad, didn't realise you were the thread starter. 

However on Lexi the preferred method is rockets, bombs are a bit harder. 

But do-able, and even torps work. 

Players
312 posts
6 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Mistakes:

1. You play CV. Abuse from teammates should be laughable, at the least. You have zero karma. YOU DO NOT CARE. You play CV - you are the most powerful ship in the whole team.

2. You spot the DD for your teammates. You are counting on teammates. DOUBLE WRONG. Proof is, teammates (especially weekend ones) are usually idiots. And YOUR spot is YOUR kill...

3. Another mistake is to worry about some random teammate (probably an idiot) DEMANDING you spend YOUR playtime pampering HIS behind.

Case in point here today, a notable forumite just called me a "moron" for some reason.
Not sure if it's because he wanted me to return squadrons with full ordinance just so I could beat the fighter-plane consumable's cooldown (I'd already scared rocket planes away from him once) - in which case, does no-one else on the team deserve baby-sitting or fighter-plane scouts?
Or if he wanted me to scout for him and him alone - in which case, what was the far left flank supposed to do, given that the friendly DD who was supposed to be there instead joined the forumite in mid?  Surely wasting time sitting above smoke while my planes get whittled down by invisible AA isn't the most valuable use of my time.
Or if he thought it was obvious that he couldn't win a 3vs1 against a lone DD a tier below his, what with having a friendly DD and Cruiser nearby that should've been able to give him some assistance, and as such I should ignore the rest of the map and wait for the opportunity to divebomb someone lurking in smoke on his behalf.

We've established her that my Lex play is nowhere near where I'd like it to be, but I'm not going to get any better if - instead of practising my divebombing against human targets - I'm parked over smoke babysitting the sole human player out of a dozen that presumably requires my assistance.

My best guess is I got chewed out because he was irate that he got out-played by a division a tier below him.  Common sense would suggest that even if I did babysit him, the enemy Lex would've still just seen my planes and picked on players at another CP (the enemy Lex player ended up with a Kraken, so I'm thinking that is likely), and I'd've got called a moron by them instead.

TBH I should've ignored entire team and just stuck to torping down battleships - we won even with me stinking up the place, and I would've rather had the XP from dealing more damage than been stressed out trying to help ingrates.

1 hour ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

However on Lexi the preferred method is rockets

Ugh, I got told the opposite.

And I find the rockets to just be terrible against DDs.  With Shokaku I can comfortably get 5k strikes again and again and again from any angle;
with Tiny Tims I routinely have them bracket the enemy for 0 damage, and seldom have the time to make multiple strikes - when they do hit the damage is comparable to an average shokaku salvo - I suspect some lucky hits could be more devastating, but RNG doesn't seem to want to bless me with those.
With HVARs the damage is all over the place, but for only marginally better damage (7k broadside salvoes) the aiming situations are just way too circumstantial - how many DDs let you broadside them?  Head-on I've had salvoes deal less than 1k damage!

I was hoping that, having hit the practice room, I'd be able to dive-bomb consistently enough to use them as an alternative - but I'm also finding them to be a massive liability too.

With Shokaku I feel like I can go in, get the job done, and get out.  With Lexington it feels like it takes forever to get to the enemy, then it's circumstantial as to whether the DD uses the lengthy attack-run to reorinetate against you, then it's a fluke if you get good hits or not; and then it's another fluke as to whether the good hits translate into good damage.

** From the game I just played **:
8 Tiny Tim hits - 6k damage.

3 Tiny Tim hits - 4.5k damage

1 Tiny Tim hit - 540hp damage

Total of 12 rocket hits - 11316 damage.

That weaksauce damage just doesn't cut it for me, not when I can be dealing 15k per squadron in my Shokaku's rocket planes.  I can work on my aim - maybe overwhelm the modules to hopefully up the damage (assuming saturation doesn't just negate that) - but I don't see the value - especially when I can be dealing 25k torpedo damage + floods per squadron torpedo damage against BBs which strikes me as more valuable.

Edited by Ace42X
Addendum
  • Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,148 posts
8,082 battles
23 minutes ago, Ace42X said:

Case in point here today, a notable forumite just called me a "moron" for some reason.

Well being notable forumite doesn't per definition mean:

- being any good (I am potato and at some ships I really suck);

- being nice (NOTE: some are well known to be total #@%#@);

- being helpful.... or unselfish... or whatever.

Not sure if it's because he wanted me to return squadrons with full ordinance just so I could beat the fighter-plane consumable's cooldown (I'd already scared rocket planes away from him once) - in which case, does no-one else on the team deserve baby-sitting or fighter-plane scouts?

Nope. Nobody "deserves"anything. YOU shall be the judge of who you want to help or not.

Granted, if you want good games this means you have to become good at these judgements... LOL.

Nobody can tell what he wants though, except that player. Or whatever he means by whatever he says.

But yes, sometimes, they want YOU to spot (and waste your own time) so THEY can farm damage.

In fact that helps the team to win - doesnt mean you have to waltz around there, though.

I often drop a fighter squad on top of a ridge. The whole lot that is behind that ridge gets spotted... LOL. 

Or if he wanted me to scout for him and him alone - in which case, what was the far left flank supposed to do, given that the friendly DD who was supposed to be there instead joined the forumite in mid?  Surely wasting time sitting above smoke while my planes get whittled down by invisible AA isn't the most valuable use of my time.

Correct analysis there. BUT:

- You never circle around, you put spotter planes - unless you really really really want to help that player (div-mate?) or really want that DD dead (hated enemy);

- You never put spotter planes above smoke. Because, indeed, they'll get whittled down by the invisible DD.

- You put the planes where they can still see the DD when smoke clears, but not in immediate range of the DD in smoke.

- ...and put them at the side where you expect him to come out, or where he;ll do most harm, or can be shot (or something).

Or if he thought it was obvious that he couldn't win a 3vs1 against a lone DD a tier below his, what with having a friendly DD and Cruiser nearby that should've been able to give him some assistance, and as such I should ignore the rest of the map and wait for the opportunity to divebomb someone lurking in smoke on his behalf.

Yup. That is what some expect to be done. Never happens. 

You can however dump on a DD in smoke when he uses his main guns, it gives his position away.

I suppose you know. But if that one that was whining knows that PLANES do not spot torps, well.... 

We've established her that my Lex play is nowhere near where I'd like it to be, but I'm not going to get any better if - instead of practising my divebombing against human targets - I'm parked over smoke babysitting the sole human player out of a dozen that presumably requires my assistance.

Nobody REQUIRES your assistance. They should be happy if you GIVE IT.

Preferably (in your case) this would be when you give it by blapping that DD...

My best guess is I got chewed out because he was irate that he got out-played by a division a tier below him. 

I dunno. Might have been something else he was annoyed at. 

Sometimes though people expect stuff from CVs that are simply impossible.

Usually because they do not play CVs themselves, or hate them, or whatever.

Common sense would suggest that even if I did babysit him, the enemy Lex would've still just seen my planes and picked on players at another CP (the enemy Lex player ended up with a Kraken, so I'm thinking that is likely), and I'd've got called a moron by them instead.

...but he would have been right. BTW I never had a kraken in any CV so far

I know it's not because I suck, as I know I do not - even though I'm not unicum.

So either that red CV was rrrrrrreally good, or just lucky. Or this:

Must say I do get more kills/damage when my team is losing - it is because I do not have to go hunt ships.

Instead they usually come to (for) me... if I have enough planes, I do not spend time searching... = more damage.

And if all my teammates are dead, well maybe once I'll get a kraken. Usually they "kill-secure" when I am almost finished... 

TBH I should've ignored entire team and just stuck to torping down battleships - we won even with me stinking up the place, and I would've rather had the XP from dealing more damage than been stressed out trying to help ingrates.

Hey there you go. Now you see, even if a game is crud, it can still be a learning experience. 

Simply put, and ask Masterrrr @El2aZeR, the CV is meant to be a damage dealer. So, deal dmage. Lots of it.

If you can help other players and win the game, good. Usually this is done by dealing damage to red ships that are threathening your win.

SOMETIMES it is done by enabling other players to do just that. But, usually: if you want something done good, do it yourself.

But you should NOT go around babysitting with fighters. It will cost your team the game. Here's an example why (watch the chat):