Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
vani1989

Boise or Graf Spee?

6 comments in this topic

Question

Players
9 posts
1,354 battles

I have doubloons enough for either, checking their win rate and performance stats the Graf Spee is superior however I've always been a believer in ROF > Damage and the time to kill of the Graf Spee, If you miss, is extremely punishing.

5 answers to this question

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,594 posts
13,969 battles

Boise is a solid american CL, she plays a lot like Helena, Cleveland, etc, but instead of having access to the various consumables all at the same time Boise must choose between DFAA and Hydro, but gets to bring a 2%/sec Repair Party which can really help her survival. However, he range is only 13.5km (one of the shortest at tier 7 other than maybe Atlanta who is 11km), and although she can use her ballistics to shoot over islands she can't always do that, so she will end up near the frontline a lot due to her range. Play her safe enough and try to avoid the citadel damage that can't be effectively repaired. Her 15 guns, when the finally do get to shoot at something, can cause a lot of damage.

Graf Spee is pretty unique, she is the only large cruiser below tier 9. Although she is the "pocket battleship" she is not a BB and should not be played as such. She gets a regular heal at tier 6 which is nice, her gun calibre is enough to overmatch armor up to 19mm thick making enemy attempts to angle armor up to 19mm pointless (which includes the bow armor of any cruiser up to and including tier 7) and she has very good torp angles and access to german hydro (5.5km range) and a fighter in addition to her heal. She does have some drawbacks however. Naturally, her guns do take quite a long time to reload at 20 seconds, but as a large cruiser she also does not enjoy regular cruiser dispersion. Her large cruiser dispersion is worse than that of a regular cruiser, combine that with just 6 guns and low rate of fire can mean the number of hits you get can be frustratingly few and infrequent. She also burns for longer, most cruiser fires burn for just 30 seconds, while most large cruisers burn for 60 seconds, Graf Spee burns for 45 (effectively taking 50% more damage from fires that burn their full duration), although this can be counteracted with her repair party. Lastly is her armor, BB guns she may have but BB armor she does not, while her armor is enough to keep her safe from the AP shells of any enemy cruiser when sufficiently angled, enemy BBs will not struggle to cause significant damage and her citadel can be an easy target. Believing she can trade with a BB directly will result in disappointment, she must use the same caution as any other cruiser. She is, at least, a small and relatively fast ship considering she carries 6x 283mm guns.

If you're looking for something with good rate of fire (and you enjoy the US CL line as well), Boise is a good choice, once you get used to playing around her range her heal can keep her going for a long time.

If you're looking at Spee because of her stats I would say that she does perform well in the right hands, if you understand the implications of having BB guns on a cruiser and how that can work in her favor in terms of overmatching then you can get good results from the guns when they hit. If you only want her because she has good stats, take the Boise. You will always get better stats playing a good ship that you like, than a great ship that you don't.

If you do like high RoF have you considered Atlanta?

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,594 posts
13,969 battles
2 minutes ago, vani1989 said:

It's not so much that I prefer a higher ROF It's more about consistent results and from experience in a straight up fights with other cruisers, American cruisers and their ROF tend to come out on top.

I'd like to say at range that changes but seeing as everyone hides behind islands, American cruisers with their high arcs actually make it easier to hit cruisers at range that are hiding.

The reason I bring this up is that I enjoy the IJN cruisers but compared to the American cruisers It seems like intentionally handcapping yourself.

IJN cruisers have their own strengths, one thing US cruisers in particular lack is torps, there are times when you dont need consistent damage, you need to kill something that has gotten up close and quickly.

Also, IJN cruisers with 203mm guns have better dispersion that most the standard cruiser dispersion shared by 95% of cruisers, they use the DD dispersion which is even better. Their alpha and fire chance are good, but their reload and turret traverse are usually slower. IJN doesn't have a lot of cruisers but some of them, like T8 premium Atago and the t10 Zao are both very strong, versatile ships thanks to the 203mm guns, their concealment, their torps, their mobility.

14 minutes ago, vani1989 said:

Unless you have any other suggestions? UK, GER, IJN and USN T6-7 premium ships only.

There's nothing else you can buy with dubs that you didn't already mention when it comes to cruisers.

For DDs T7 US DD Sims is a decent ship and has a base exp modifier that is higher than average, and T6 KM DD T-61 is a strong allrounder and T7 commonwealth DD Haida is a strong ship when it has a good enough commander.

Regarding BBs, T7 KM BB Scharnhorst is a strong ship, with all of the german BB accuracy buffs recently and has solid armor and torps, T7 RN BB Hood is also a good ship with good guns and tons of HP, though it works on AP unlike most RN BBs.

It's not really possible to know in advance if you will like any particular premium though, so I understand why you might rate them on their average performance. I still recommend you choose something you find interesting more than just has good stats.

Players
9 posts
1,354 battles

It's not so much that I prefer a higher ROF It's more about consistent results and from experience in a straight up fights with other cruisers, American cruisers and their ROF tend to come out on top.

I'd like to say at range that changes but seeing as everyone hides behind islands, American cruisers with their high arcs actually make it easier to hit cruisers at range that are hiding.

The reason I bring this up is that I enjoy the IJN cruisers but compared to the American cruisers It seems like intentionally handcapping yourself.

In fact, thank you for asking me that question as now It seems clear to me that picking any other cruiser out of IJN, USN, and GER is just not worth the doubloons even with the Graf Spee's overmatch potential.

Unless you have any other suggestions? UK, GER, IJN and USN T6-7 premium ships only.

The Atlanta looks ugly imo haha.

Players
10,110 posts
11,872 battles
2 hours ago, vani1989 said:

In fact, thank you for asking me that question as now It seems clear to me that picking any other cruiser out of IJN, USN, and GER is just not worth the doubloons even with the Graf Spee's overmatch potential.

The Atlanta looks ugly imo haha.

Boise while is solid ship, suffer from very short range, which may or may not leave you wanting when uptiered on larger, more open maps as well recent armor/IFHE changes left her hung to dry. Atlanta is even more extreme version of her and requires dedicated captain to get the most out of her. She can be very fun and very effective when stars align though.

Graf Spee lost considerably on her "overmatch potential" with recent armor changes, as all tier 6-7 heavy cruisers can ricochet her guns off central part.

If you have experience with USN heavy cruisers, Indianapolis should be up your alley, being as bog standard USN CA as its possible. Bonus points for almost 17km range, handy when uptiered and/or on less than favorable map as well 10km radar at tier 7. Considerable surprise for unaware

Sims is okay DD, albeit powercrept by newer additions. At least have perfect synergy with USN DD captains

West Virginia and Arizona share two critical flaws - 20kts top speed and all-or-nothing armor layout, which means any guns big enough will overmatch you on entire length as well you will be one big exp pinata for any cruiser with enough HE pen. Somewhat similar issue with IJN Ashitaka, RN Warspite and RN Duke of York. Former at least have speed and 10gun salvo, Warpie have accurate and hard hitting guns (by BB standards), Duke have usual UK "nuclear" HE shells, but her AP with improved ricochet angles is nothing to sneeze at... when you find cruiser and RNGesus actually sends shells where you want them to be.

From German premiums, T-61 is definitely solid. Back in the day, I'd also suggest Scharnhorst, as she is remarkably flexible ship when it comes to captain skills, she works fine with both cruiser and BB skillsets. Unfortunately, 283mm guns of questionable accuracy, leave too much to be desired, even more so as she, just like Graf Spee, lost on anti cruiser effectiveness with armor changes.

The only "dis is gud" midtier premium ship would be Haida, but she requires solid understanding of DD play to make her work AND she requires dedicated captain as Commonwealth tech tree literally consist of three premium ships only. Not exactly "novice friendly".

From premium ships overall, Alaska is GOOD, as in "borderline overpowered", but she is tier 9, requiring either 60€ to fork out or spend considerable amount of time on gathering Free Exp for her juicy 1mil pricetag. Similarly with tier 10 "coal" ships like Thunderer or Smolensk. Long term goal or whale HARD on event containers when they *can* drop coal currency if you want ship now.

Players
9 posts
1,354 battles

True, perhaps it's just the fact that the citadel on IJN ships feels like it's the size of a barn. I'm now also taking another lookat the Graf Spee as It also has torpedoes which I totally overlooked.

As far as comfort I'm more than comfortable with the USN cruisers, german are still new to me but there's a lot of crossover with the IJN of which I have really enjoyed.

Honestly I could get both but I feel like the doubloons would be better spend elsewhere?

EDIT: If there was 1 premium ship you would reccomend which would it be and why?

Sign in to follow this