Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Userext

Gearing vs Shimakaze

11 comments in this topic

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,866 battles

Hello people of the closed beta. You might know me from various posts. I never liked what was going between shimakaze and gearing. And now gearing seems like buffed.

The only parts where shimakaze is better than gearing are 5 more torps, 2100 k more damage for each torpedo, 3.5 km more range for torps(i dont know why 20 km would be usefull but...) maneuverability.

Upgraded torps gives you 3k more damage and 5km less range(how is this upgrade?)

Consealment is same

For guns gearing is of course much better.

AA is better for gearing

Speed shimakaze(40) better than gearing(37)

Turning radius Gearing is better with 50 m diffrence(640-690)

Rudder shift time shimakaze is better with 0.3 diffrence(3.9-4.2)

About the torpedo reload time i think they are both at 150 sec but dont know why it says 0.3 still for shimakaze i saw a shimakaze captain the battle and he told me about shimakaze's reload time i guess they havent updated stats

Before 3.1 they had diffrent consealment values gearing had a worse consealment so i was kinda okay with it before but now since gearing is buffed i dont know what makes the line more clear. Maybe one more shimakaze buff? I know shimakaze is buffed because it used to have 180 sec reload(supposed to be 200 depending on 0.3 rof but oh well) now it has 150 sec reload. But gearing already had that before. I dont have the shimakaze yet no. I could only reach hatsuharu and i m close to getting fubuki but i m kinda missing the point here. Why would someone go for shimakaze instead of gearing? There is not a lot of diffrence it makes when you get shimakaze and gearing is much better now.

Alpha Tester
1,427 posts
558 battles

Upgraded torps gives you 3k more damage and 5km less range(how is this upgrade?)

Because against a competent opponent, a 10+ km torp salvo is a miss anyway.

A 1kt improvement to Shimakaze to put her at her historical top speed, and a camo buff to the Long Lances, again in line with history, would make them pretty much dead equal, I think.

Beta Tester
185 posts
647 battles

Wait...Ohh..they improved the concealment on Gearing?! it used to be 9.2 kliks!!!

Gearing has another huge but not so clear disadvantage...it has a huge silhouette for a DD, and it's quite easy to hit it, combined with not a so great speed. Those are clear advantages for Shimakaze...

Edit: Ohh and you forgot another clear advantage Shimakaze has over Gearing. Shimakaze has 3x5 torpedo tubes...Gearing has 2x5...

Edited by Lance1978

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,866 battles

Wait...Ohh..they improved the concealment on Gearing?! it used to be 9.2 kliks!!!

Gearing has another huge but not so clear disadvantage...it has a huge silhouette for a DD, and it's quite easy to hit it, combined with not a so great speed. Those are clear advantages for Shimakaze...

Edit: Ohh and you forgot another clear advantage Shimakaze has over Gearing. Shimakaze has 3x5 torpedo tubes...Gearing has 2x5...

it is 7.6 km now as shimakaze

well gearing has really good guns and it is supposed to be a gun ship but it has good torpedoes too and 3 knots diffrence isnt too important is it? gearing can turn better(640meters) so it pays off for that silhouette

i wrote that advantage shimakaze has(3x5) up there i guess you didnt read it well

Because against a competent opponent, a 10+ km torp salvo is a miss anyway.

A 1kt improvement to Shimakaze to put her at her historical top speed, and a camo buff to the Long Lances, again in line with history, would make them pretty much dead equal, I think.

still gearing has much better torpedoes for what it actually supposed to have

as we know US DDs are supposed to be gun ships with torpedoes that is worse than IJN torpedoes but towards the tier 9 and tier 10 the diffrence pretty much doesnt matter

i am not sure what should be done to make shimakaze equal power wise but it just seems weird now

before 3.1 consealment and maneuverability was the only diffrence but now consealment advantage is gone

i used to think IJN DDs are good because of their torpedoes and consealment at some sitautions but towards the end of this line (after tier 5-6) conselament becomes worse and torpedoes doesnt get the same kind of huge upgrade US DDs gets

So should we change this sentence "IJN destroyers are better at torpedoes and USN destroyers are better at gun fight" ?

i think USN DDs get 8.2 km range at benson and with fletcher they reach to 10.5 km and they dont have bad consealment 7.4 km ? not bad

Beta Tester
185 posts
647 battles

well gearing has really good guns and it is supposed to be a gun ship but it has good torpedoes too and 3 knots diffrence isnt too important is it? gearing can turn better(640meters) so it pays off for that silhouette

i wrote that advantage shimakaze has(3x5) up there i guess you didnt read it well

i think USN DDs get 8.2 km range at benson and with fletcher they reach to 10.5 km and they dont have bad consealment 7.4 km ? not bad

Sorry yeah you said shima has 5 more torps. Well 3 knots for DDs makes alot of difference and the extra tiny maneuvrability does not really compensate for the silhouette.  I also think that Shima should have maybe a camo of 7.4 but the previous camo on Gearing was a  horrible disaster. Also the torps are way better on IJN than USN even for tier 10. Not only the max damage is considerably higher but I think that Gearing has a low "penetration" value or something on them? They rarely do the max damage (had 4 torps in a Des moines and he was still floating with 25-33% of its life, and that is just a case). Also don't forget that while using torps you maintain your camo, the same is not valid for using guns. So being better at gunnery for Gearing comes at a cost if you want to use those guns. 

P.S. the 8.2 kliks torps on Benson were a horrid joke, at that speed even a paraplegic granny had time to outturn them, I grinded past it with the 6.4 ones...

Edited by Lance1978

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,866 battles

Sorry yeah you said shima has 5 more torps. Well 3 knots for DDs makes alot of difference and the extra tiny maneuvrability does not really compensate for the silhouette.  I also think that Shima should have maybe a camo of 7.4 but the previous camo on Gearing was a  horrible disaster. Also the torps are way better on IJN than USN even for tier 10. Not only the max damage is considerably higher but I think that Gearing has a low "penetration" value or something on them? They rarely do the max damage (had 4 torps in a Des moines and he was still floating with 25-33% of its life, and that is just a case). Also don't forget that while using torps you maintain your camo, the same is not valid for using guns. So being better at gunnery for Gearing comes at a cost if you want to use those guns. 

P.S. the 8.2 kliks torps on Benson were a horrid joke, at that speed even a paraplegic granny had time to outturn them, I grinded past it with the 6.4 ones...

american torpedoes are at most 533mm so they will do good enough damage to any ship but IJN ones are 610mm there isnt really that much diffrence between these 2.1k damage diffrence isnt the important part

now after 3.1 DDs got hit pretty bad how bad you say? well my upgraded hatsuharu torps was the victims. Ifired 6 of them to a tier 5 USN BB he had 25k health left 5 of them hit him and 3 of them did 126 damage combined

i dont think torps are way better for IJN mostly because you are supposed to use torps as a slow arrow and everyone can dodge slow arrows while not so much people can dodge shells

i have sims and i gotta say 5.5 km torps arent too bad and you can easily steal your enemy's health. this was before 3.1 update i dont know whats going on at the moment.

Gearing is actually a small cruiser that can launch torpedoes and unlike japanese destroyers it has good AA to kick a squadron's [edited]so they wont follow him but IJN DDs dont have good AA so if there is a CV in game you will be spoted a lot even with offline AA system

If you miss your torpedoes against a taget you are a dead man speaking for IJN DDs

if you miss your torpedoes against a target you can still kill him with gun fire or force him to stop tracking you

aslo USN DDs dont have a problem going against any ship in game while IJN DDs can easily be hunted by USN ones

Beta Tester
41 posts
2,431 battles

dont forget that Shimakaze has twice the "Set-Enemy-on-Fire" Chance on her Guns (10% per shell) than the Gearing (which has 5% chance per shell).

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,866 battles

dont forget that Shimakaze has twice the "Set-Enemy-on-Fire" Chance on her Guns (10% per shell) than the Gearing (which has 5% chance per shell).

dont forget taht shimakaze will not be able to fire as much as gearing
  • Cool 1

Players
1 post

ok so the gearing has 17k damage torp which is not to enough to kill a shimakaze in one hit... both shims and zaos have 21k damage torps easy enough to kill a gearing with 19k hp in one hit.   So there's your first Shim bonus.  The gearing really is more of a light cruiser meant to be setup as a gun ship.  Of course the russian line will completely nullify the gearing as the best gun ship.   I foresee the gearing becoming a jack of all trades not expert at anything but decent at multiple roles.  So far I will get taken out by any single torp launched by tier 9 or higher cruisers or dds of the Japanese tree.  So getting in close is basically suicide for my ship.   So most matches I will sit at 13 to 15 klicks and fire my 6 127mm he rounds and pray I can continually keep the enemy bb's on fire.

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,866 battles

ok so the gearing has 17k damage torp which is not to enough to kill a shimakaze in one hit... both shims and zaos have 21k damage torps easy enough to kill a gearing with 19k hp in one hit.   So there's your first Shim bonus.

If you take a ship launched torpedo in gearing you should sell the ship. If you take shimakaze torp in gearing you should quit the game

Torpedo_reaction_times.png

[-IO-]
Beta Tester
70 posts
2,506 battles

And another thread-necrophile please folks stop this crap.

Vuk my hero where are you?

Sign in to follow this