You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MadBadDave

Defense of Newport Station

33 comments in this topic

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

Apologies to anyone who's brought this up already, but WTF.

I have never got to the stage where a success was likely, other missions are certainly do-able, but this one, reminds me of the Russian Navy's World War 2 record; totally and utterly a joke.

Has anyone ever managed to complete it ?.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
2,076 posts
13,156 battles
8 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

I have never got to the stage where a success was likely, other missions are certainly do-able, but this one, reminds me of the Russian Navy's World War 2 record; totally and utterly a joke.

Multiple times in a division with girls and guys who know what to do, yes. It's not that difficult all know what they have to do.

• Cool 1

[WTFNO]
Players
640 posts
11,384 battles
31 minutes ago, Wizard27_1979 said:

Multiple times in a division with girls and guys who know what to do, yes. It's not that difficult all know what they have to do.

Well, to be fair none of the Ops is difficult with a reasonably good div.

Newport's problem is that it's a very likely loss with a random team, unlike Aegis or Raptor (or even the late, lamented Narai)

One of the reasons is that failing the 'secondary' goal of defending the perimeter makes the mission much harder, both removing an ally and triggering the main wave earlier.

Not difficult to fix, but WG doesn't give a damn for Ops, so ...

(actually that's not true, they have been actively destroying Ops for quite a while now. Because no lootboxes.)

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,427 posts
14,944 battles
53 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

Yes, but in spite of me rather than because of me.

These days I generally view it as 'no Ops for me this week' when it comes up in the rotation.

• Cool 4

Players
3,029 posts

I had a thread a couple of weeks back, don't have the strength to re post. It is winnable. It needs a bit of co operation (minimal) and logic. If the team plays calm and collected it can be done. But it can be frustrating also. As with all operations these days you have to pull your weight and play as best you can. Or get a division. If I have a CV I need just a couple of captains who know how to aim and cover to get it done, but not always are they available haha :)

• Cool 3

[-TPF-]
Players
4,359 posts
18,216 battles
2 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

It's been much more difficult since they sped up the timings of the waves.  I think, overall, it's been rebalanced as a battleship mission.  Which is fn dull. 

• Cool 4

[-IAN-]
Players
2,043 posts
6,904 battles

It's always been the hardest of the Scenarios but, as an indication of the skill level of the random playerbase at the time (ignores divisions), it really shows how far the general skill level has dropped over the past 2 years when this previously "difficult but do-able" scenario is now almost impossible with 75% of the random team-mates I play with.

• Cool 2

Players
3,149 posts
17,796 battles
4 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

Easy back when RTS CVs were a thing. 400-500k damage games were not uncommon.

Only the original version with tier 8 and tier 9 final wave was truly hard.

Now? I havn't bothered with ops since the reeeework apart from Narai.

Any game mode that depend on teammates isn't worthwhile to play.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,359 posts
18,216 battles
10 minutes ago, IanH755 said:

it really shows how far the general skill level has dropped over the past 2 years when this previously "difficult but do-able" scenario is now almost impossible with 75% of the random team-mates I play with.

Nah. If that was the case we'd be seeing failures on "easy" scenarios like Aegis.  This one has recently been made more difficult (wave timing changes, buffs to Izumo, which has gone from Captain Derp to a bit of a beast) and suffers from CV-itis (a lack of DPM when you need it whenever a CV is in the game).  Not surprised people find it difficult. Today has been 2-1 to the players, but only because people were bringing the top performing ships like Leander (which is so, so much better than London). The number of people in that ship I have seen completely unaware of their smoke firing penalty, wondering why they're getting focused....

Players
453 posts
2,446 battles

The song of Newport: To Nightwish, The Siren

Warning video contains suggestive mermaids attempting to drown/get into some lucky/unlucky sailors pants 'Ye be warned'

"Playing World of Warships, playing the new Ops"

"Ahhh, ah, ah,ahhhhhh!" (the distant screams of players stuck in Newport)

"Ahhh, ah, ah,ahhhhhh!"

"Hearken to the sound, Oooooofffff Freeeeeee XP"

"Ahhh, ah, ah,ahhhhhh!"

"Ahhh, ah, ah,ahhhhhh!"

"Ahhaahhhhhaaahhhhhhaaahhhhh"  (the sound you make when you realize it's Newport)

"Who put these potatoes on my team?"

"Their lack of skill it scares me"

"Somewhere good players there must be"

"These Potatoes, their trying to kill me"

"Ahhaahhhhhaaahhhhhhaaahhhhh" (More tortured Newport player cries)

"ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" X4

"Yeaaaahhaaaah, yeaaaaaaaah, yeeeahhhaaaah," X2 (the part where your pulling your hair out at the finely aged stupidity on display)

"Po, ta, to, toooooo"

Po, ta, to, tooooooo"

"Ahhaahhhhhaaahhhhhhaaahhhhh" (echoing screams of rage as [INSERT BB HERE] sails off into the deep blue sea to catch torpedoes for his tea)

"WarGaming put these potatoes on my teeeaaamm"

"Their trying their best to sink meeeee"

"Somewhere good players there must be"

"These potatoes, their skill scares me"

:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,065 posts
13,987 battles
14 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

Yes, in a random team and not in a division.

Mind you, it's one of my least favorite operations and one that I no longer play.

[-IAN-]
Players
2,043 posts
6,904 battles
10 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Nah. If that was the case we'd be seeing failures on "easy" scenarios like Aegis.

I would agree if it wasn't for the fact Divisions don't seem to struggle in any of the Scenarios, this one included. So if divisions seem to cope but random teams can't them it stands to reason that its the inability of random players to cope which causes the loses, not the very slight changes to the Op, IMHO of course based on my own experience, yours maybe different.

Players
6,058 posts
12,083 battles
21 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

Yes, with an organised div it is doable but even then most people don't seem to like it.

With random plebs, you can basically forget about getting any stars. You'll probably get 3 at the most if you're lucky.

• Cool 1

Players
6,058 posts
12,083 battles
18 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

It's been much more difficult since they sped up the timings of the waves.  I think, overall, it's been rebalanced as a battleship mission.  Which is fn dull. 

Iirc the reinforcement waves were sped up for aegis and not for newport. And it certainly has not been rebalanced as a battleship mission (no idea where you got that idea from, but better be more strict concerning the accuracy of statements made by this source you took this information from).

[HOO]
Beta Tester
149 posts

quite alot of the better players have abandoned newport to its fate, sick to death of failing at dragging teams of clueless potatoes across the finish line 

this leaves only the potaotes in the Stew, the occasional player still has hope and plays, but unless you can find a decent division, its almost impossible to carry a team of Potatoes through this mission 

• Cool 2

[S0F]
Beta Tester
167 posts
9,475 battles

I think all the decent players stopped playing as it's hard to carry so many idiots who die in the first wave of ships. Like others I skip this op now.

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,359 posts
18,216 battles
5 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

Iirc the reinforcement waves were sped up for aegis and not for newport. And it certainly has not been rebalanced as a battleship mission (no idea where you got that idea from, but better be more strict concerning the accuracy of statements made by this source you took this information from).

That's my observation based on playing it quite a lot. The timings of the third wave changed at about 0.9.0 and the third wave spawns faster than it did. This catches people out, especially if they've moved up the map to try and provide crossfire. 

It has worked better, today: focusing one flank during the final wave definitely helps. But BBs are essential, and CVs a waste of space. 

(I only mention it because of a hilarious Aegis game I had last week. 3 x Aigle, 3 x Trento, Ark Royal. We flipping murdered 'em! Can't see it happening with Newport). 

• Cool 2

Players
933 posts

NEWPOOOOORRRRT!

Was really disappointed just now when I went to take a look at the Op. for the week, what with my shiny new fortnight's premium time and all. If it's frustrating going through every other Op. just to fall at the last hurdle, Newport just seems to be an order of magnitude more exruciating...

Edit: Just caved in and gave it a try. Our Dallas spent a bunch of time wandering merrily around outside the base perimeter (and died fairly quickly); two of our team were in destroyers, Vasterarses in fact who thus had no smoke (and died fairly quickly); I managed to finish with 7 kills (not claiming to be a good player here, I was just playing on easy mode/in my Leander), this was one more than the rest of my team managed. Ended up with about 330 base XP when we lost, this was *sigh* top of the team. Oh, Newport...

• Funny 1

[FDRO]
Players
27 posts
5,739 battles

Hey Guys, sry for my very simple english.

I played all szenarios, but now 'Newport' gets wired. 2. Force that comes in, was about 15 Ships, all same time, that cant be normal. I got not a zero chance in this. Dont remember it comes tuff like this.

• Cool 1

Players
3,029 posts
1 hour ago, Capt_okieH said:

Hey Guys, sry for my very simple english.

I played all szenarios, but now 'Newport' gets wired. 2. Force that comes in, was about 15 Ships, all same time, that cant be normal. I got not a zero chance in this. Dont remember it comes tuff like this.

Enemies must be kept (prevented) from ENTERING the green circle. IF they do (even one ship) then ALL other waves come simultaneously. That means, 3+1 waves if the team fails, during second wave, or 3+2 if it fails during the first. Number of ships may reach 15-20 if the team fails even more spectacularly. 

Stay in the bowl, unless you are in division and YOU KNOW what you are doing.

Concentrate fire,

Pray for a good CV (or me)

Pray for at least one good BB,

Pray for at least 2 good cruisers (may not be enough)

Eliminate dds first, then cruisers, leave BBs last.

Dont be afraid to shout out instructions, assume everyone is a rook.

Assume no one knows what they are doing, so go after each wave yrself.

For this you need...

A CV,

A fast firing cruiser wit health or smoke.

London, Devonshire, Leander are good, Graf also (you have to know what you are doing), Trento and Nurberg  

Certain bbs

PEF

DUNKerque

maybe Izmail

• Cool 3

Players
453 posts
2,446 battles

What is it with death or glory charges out into the middle of enemy waves today? Half the Cruiser players I have encountered seem to only want to do this. 

Seriously, if this was a Community contributor video series then every other Cruiser I have flown over has had the faint sound of

coming from them.

I swear it must be something like this on the bridge.

"Helm!"

"Yes Sir!"

"Take us closer, flanking speed!"

"But... sir... the torpedoes... and if we get any closer we will be singled out and flanked by enemy combatants"

Captain draws sword

"Never mind that Jenkins, I wish to close with that enemy Destroyer so I may strike it swiftly with my sword!"

Cue Dramatic sword raising stance.

'Long suffering sigh' "very well sir, full ahead flank"

We have repair ships for a reason and your much more use alive and as a bullet catcher helping whittling down several ships than dead and killing just one.

Even if it is kinda pointless pointing this out here as anyone who comes to the forum probably isn't the type of players who do this.

• Funny 2