Sign in to follow this  
Dorsen

Ship turn rates are rediculously fast.

87 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
131 posts
1,999 battles

I think the new turn rates in 0.3.1 (I've mostly played battleships and cruisers so far after the patch) look and feel rediculous. I never expected a game like this to be a simulator or anything, but to have ships like battleships and cruisers turn as quickly as they do right now just wrecks the immersion in the game for me. Does anyone know the reason why they changed it? If it was only to make it easier to dodge torpedoes, all I can say is that the whiners got their way. I never saw the problem in the first place, even after being decimated by torpedo bombers in a BB several times.

I guess they could have changed the rudder shift time of the heaviest ships just a very little bit, but to make the turning circles like they are now blows my mind...

Edited by Dorsen
  • Cool 14

Beta Tester
375 posts
739 battles

Meanwhile certain destroyers feel like they've lost turning power by comparison. Have we buggered up somewhere?

Weekend Tester
916 posts
1,191 battles

Only played tier IV and V IJN CVs, but have to agree with OP. At least US BBs are insane with their turn rate, you just can't properly make a TB run, cause they turn faster than your bombers can fly around them....

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
131 posts
1,999 battles

Meanwhile certain destroyers feel like they've lost turning power by comparison. Have we buggered up somewhere?

Well, someone buggered up, that's for sure!

[BORF]
Beta Tester
581 posts
1,144 battles

insanely faster turn radiuses for bbs, lower torp damage, nerf to carriers ... sounds like whiners got it their way

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
128 posts
7,219 battles

Only played tier IV and V IJN CVs, but have to agree with OP. At least US BBs are insane with their turn rate, you just can't properly make a TB run, cause they turn faster than your bombers can fly around them....

100% agree

And half the suqdron is dead by AA befor droping torpedos

Edited by SaintGordon

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
32 battles

insanely faster turn radiuses for bbs, lower torp damage, nerf to carriers ... sounds like whiners got it their way

Yeah

All hail the Yet another New Age Of Battleships

YaaaaY I'm so happy...

• Cool 2

[OILUP]
Beta Tester
1,411 posts
8,599 battles

They should just rename the game to Need For Speed Warship Drift and be done with it.

You mean "again got their way".
Edited by WhiskeyWolf
  • Cool 3

[T-N-T]
Beta Tester
71 posts
7,968 battles

Yeah, the game now feels ... weird. Driving an old, crappy BB, I was able to avoid torps and even gunfire from medim/long distances with ease. My guns were unable to follow my manoeuvres and my overall impression was that ... I'm back in NF2 in its arcade mode :(

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
131 posts
1,999 battles

Yeah, the game now feels ... weird. Driving an old, crappy BB, I was able to avoid torps and even gunfire from medim/long distances with ease. My guns were unable to follow my manoeuvres and my overall impression was that ... I'm back in NF2 in its arcade mode :(

I never played NF2, but I've seen gameplay footage, and my immediate thought after the patch was "this looks like Navyfield now...".

Beta Tester
128 posts
7,219 battles

Just for fun what was the turning radius of a New Mexico class IRL? 

About 700 yards, as a parameter of Standard Battleship spec

Beta Tester
39 posts
985 battles

My Cleveland is drifting like mad. I'm basically capable of broadsiding someone before the turn is complete. New tactics, yey... (not sure if this is very realistic though, not to mention game-breaking)

Weekend Tester
48 posts
157 battles

Closing up to 2km in Mutsuki against enemy Nagato and he still manages to dodge everything really feels annoying, Best tactic seems to be spamming at/near 10km torp range limit and hoping some slowpoke gets hit.. :(

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,391 posts
6,118 battles

There really was change - and historical even :) Generally "short, fat" ships have smaller turning radius than long, sleek ones - many battleships actually had same or smaller turning radius than destroyers, this was also the rationale for the failed project of circular coastal battleship.

it is pretty visible with the US battleships, as they were always (well, until fast BB concept came) wider than their IJN counterparts (same goes for cruisers) - so slower, but faster turn... Once the ship reacts.

While trying to go for a BB, look carefully - if the BB is already turning, it can use its turn radius effectively, so you should go for ships that are sailing in a straight line. You should also try to make concentrated torpedo strikes - one flight from the front, one from the side etc.

• Cool 3

[FAIL]
Beta Tester
185 posts
3,233 battles

There really was change - and historical even :) Generally "short, fat" ships have smaller turning radius than long, sleek ones - many battleships actually had same or smaller turning radius than destroyers, this was also the rationale for the failed project of circular coastal battleship.

it is pretty visible with the US battleships, as they were always (well, until fast BB concept came) wider than their IJN counterparts (same goes for cruisers) - so slower, but faster turn... Once the ship reacts.

While trying to go for a BB, look carefully - if the BB is already turning, it can use its turn radius effectively, so you should go for ships that are sailing in a straight line. You should also try to make concentrated torpedo strikes - one flight from the front, one from the side etc.

it also means especially longer ranged torpedo attempts by destroyers and cruisers is a exercise in futility, i have literately seen a Fuso do a 180 before my torpedoes arrived and i no longer have to pre-emptively turn my battleships when destroyers are near, it's enough to start the turn when the horn sounds.

meanwhile, the cheesiness that is manual drops from torpedo bombers still make tier 3-5 annoying while the reduced squadron number means carriers are significantly less useful higher up, and dive bombers still do literately nothing.

the net effect is that especially Japanese destroyers are now significantly less useful, Manual drop-cheesiness is unchanged if you're stuck in a poorly defended ship (hi anything below tier 5) and carriers are even less useful.

but hey, at least we get to trundle along at 21 knots for 3-5 minutes before being able to contribute!

• Cool 1

[PRAVD]
Community Contributor
1,828 posts
7,180 battles

Yeah, because changing targets happens as quickly as pressing QQ or EE, right? Seriously, to dodge torpedos now you just press EE or QQ and most of them will completely miss. It's ridiculous, especially when those ships have AA.

And there's no point in even firing torpedos as destroyers as they'll just miss by a mile (OR MORE), because a battleship can do a 180 degree turn from the time torpedo alarm goes off to the time it would hit.

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
32 battles

Maybe,

Just Maybe

Devs should have buffed the torpedoes(reducing their spotting range) In order to balance this thing.

Just random thought.

Beta Tester
4,099 posts
732 battles

While I acknowledge that the change is somewhat disconcerting, I personally feel that this is rather compensated by the long rudder shift time; considering that many BBs have slow turn rates for the turrets, it makes it difficult to keep the aim on the enemy, other than enhancing the chance that, by turning sharply to avoid torpedoes or something else, one might sail directly into an island or a friendly.

• Cool 2

[FAM]
Alpha Tester
2,435 posts
7,140 battles

Hey Tuccy, how about giving IJN real hard to detect oxygen torps, since we are taking about historical realism it should be ok, right?

• Cool 8

Beta Tester
4,099 posts
732 battles

How about explaining the -1 somebody gave me? You don't agree with my personal impression, fine, but tell me as much; giving me negrep isn't going to do anything, nor prove that I am wrong.

Edited by Historynerd
  • Cool 2

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
88 posts
4,159 battles

Hey Tuccy, how about giving IJN real hard to detect oxygen torps, since we are taking about historical realism it should be ok, right?

Such doesn't help air-dropped torpedos and it also doesn't really fix the fundamental issue, which is straight and simple: agility of ships that shouldn't be agile.
Edited by MadnerKami
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
100 posts
48 battles

i didnt play much CV yet got Zuihou and well:

enemy US BB were turning faster than my planes flying around... and once you finally get his sides...... out of wing of 4 planes only 1 or 2 planes are left then even IF you manage to hit with 1 torpedo you do so little damage to him it barely matters while you lose your entire wing.... repeat that 3-4 times and your out of torpedo bombers

i dunno about how fast these "fat" ships could turn irl @tuccy but i am quite sure BB are NOT supposed to drift

tbh since em new to CV i thought i was just a noob and em doing something horribly wrong but if this thread is here i dont think its just my problem being noob anymore

EDIT: true that one of main points of IJN oxygen torpedoes is being hard to detect ryt?

[OILUP]
Beta Tester
1,411 posts
8,599 battles

tbh since em new to CV i thought i was just a noob and em doing something horribly wrong but if this thread is here i dont think its just my problem being noob anymore

It's not only, I'm an experience CV driver and after 3.1 they are useless against BBs.

Edited by WhiskeyWolf

Sign in to follow this