HappyCabbage

Graphics setting

33 comments in this topic

Question

Players
19 posts
9,391 battles

Hi all, hoping for some help with my graphics settings. I have a ryzen 7 and good graphics card, a  rx5900. Everything is maxed out on my settings and get 77 fps all the time.  When I look at WoW clips on you tube I notice a lot better quality than my set up especially with sea rendering. Am I doing anything wrong or any suggestions. 

With thanks

32 answers to this question

Modder
5,045 posts
22,863 battles

No need for using mod pack to get only this option. Every patch copy engine_config.xml from /res directory to /res_mods.

Change <maxFrameRate>75</maxFrameRate>

However in recent patch, I've read there are some problems with speed indicator when rising this value. Bear in mind that there is probably no visual difference between ex. 50 - 100 FPS except much higher power consumption. At least I don't see such difference on my 100 HZ monitor.

[HOO]
Players
1,980 posts
3,802 battles

in the offical mod pak under Other Mods, there is a mod that allows you to set your FPS

Players
372 posts
5,825 battles
7 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Now here's a silly question: Does FPS have relevance for rendering and graphics quality?

No, FPS / Image quality are entirely different.

hertz is also different

[I-J-N]
Players
5,696 posts
3 minutes ago, Rionnen_marksman said:

No, FPS / Image quality are entirely different.

hertz is also different

Uhm.. so how is FPS relevant... a wee bit confused here...

[I-J-N]
Players
5,696 posts
2 minutes ago, bigdoguk said:

Aslains mod pack has got what you want in it fps unlock and calm seas. 

Calm seas? Who wants that. I want fine weather but high waves!:Smile_honoring:

Players
372 posts
5,825 battles
3 hours ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Uhm.. so how is FPS relevant... a wee bit confused here...

Apologies if this has already been answered.

FPS - how many frames you can produce a second, nothing to do with individual frame quality, but higher FPS improves visual quality as it makes it smoother.

hz (hertz) - refresh rate, how many times your monitor refreshes its image, higher refresh rate = smoother picture.

they work independently from each other, but as far as I know:

if your FPS is higher than your HZ, it will display at max of your monitors HZ, (even though the Pc might SAY it’s got a higher FPS.

if your hz is higher than FPS, it will display at the shown FPS.

thats my understanding of it, if I’m wrong feel free to correct me :) 

• Cool 3

[-RDE-]
Players
323 posts
27,135 battles

see pics below,  open the xml with note pad then change then test.. you might need to go into pc settings to make sure your monitors maxed too..

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

• Cool 1

[AMOK]
Players
1,965 posts
8,654 battles
Vor 10 Stunden, Rionnen_marksman sagte:

Apologies if this has already been answered.

FPS - how many frames you can produce a second, nothing to do with individual frame quality, but higher FPS improves visual quality as it makes it smoother.

hz (hertz) - refresh rate, how many times your monitor refreshes its image, higher refresh rate = smoother picture.

they work independently from each other, but as far as I know:

if your FPS is higher than your HZ, it will display at max of your monitors HZ, (even though the Pc might SAY it’s got a higher FPS.

if your hz is higher than FPS, it will display at the shown FPS.

thats my understanding of it, if I’m wrong feel free to correct me :) 

I am really no pro on this topic and correct me if i am wrong but isn't it so that this high fps/hertz are normally not that relevant on titles like Wows because anything above 30-60fps and 100Hz isn't even visible for the human eye.?.

And the only area where it gets relevant to have higher fps/Hz numbers are games with fast movement and fast shifting pictures, i.e. Shooters, Action games, Racing Simulators and so on to get a smoother picture without flares and streaks.?

• Cool 1

[I-J-N]
Players
5,696 posts
51 minutes ago, Donar79 said:

I am really no pro on this topic and correct me if i am wrong but isn't it so that this high fps/hertz are normally not that relevant on titles like Wows because anything above 30-60fps and 100Hz isn't even visible for the human eye.?.

And the only area where it gets relevant to have higher fps/Hz numbers are games with fast movement and fast shifting pictures, i.e. Shooters, Action games, Racing Simulators and so on to get a smoother picture without flares and streaks.?

What, then, would be the ideal setup for something like WoWS?

[AMOK]
Players
1,965 posts
8,654 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, Karasu_Hidesuke sagte:

What, then, would be the ideal setup for something like WoWS?

ffs i hit the page back button at the end of message :Smile-angry:

in short

60fps stable

rendering and lighting maxed out

monitor with very good colour reproduction and contrast, a reaction time of around 5ms is enough

Since WoWs isn't that "hungry" this isn't to hard to achieve. I can't imagine how 200Hz and 140fps make the game any better.

Spoiler

My Sys:

i5 2500K on Asus P8H67-Pro (quite surprised how well this still runs)

8GB RAM (DDR3)

MSI Geforce GTX1070 Gaming 8G

running on Win10 on a Crucial MX500 via Sata

system doesn't even break a sweat.^^

• Cool 1

[I-J-N]
Players
5,696 posts
28 minutes ago, Donar79 said:

ffs i hit the page back button at the end of message :Smile-angry:

in short

60fps stable

rendering and lighting maxed out

monitor with very good colour reproduction and contrast, a reaction time of around 5ms is enough

Since WoWs isn't that "hungry" this isn't to hard to achieve. I can't imagine how 200Hz and 140fps make the game any better.

Reveal hidden contents

My Sys:

i5 2500K on Asus P8H67-Pro (quite surprised how well this still runs)

8GB RAM (DDR3)

MSI Geforce GTX1070 Gaming 8G

running on Win10 on a Crucial MX500 via Sata

system doesn't even break a sweat.^^

Cheers, yeah I would like it to be close to 60 fps too. I also imagine that the GPU and memory are going to play a part in this. This is why I have trouble with settings on high, been trying to optimize them. Currently they work pretty well, and aren't too ugly to look at either.

[MERCS]
Players
77 posts
7,543 battles

In Aslain mod pack is also an option to set the LOD to maximum, it makes the game look better, no idea why it's not in the game. Calm water is pretty nice together with the anti fog option.

My game runs around 110-120 fps on a 144hz ips monitor, pretty good, the 144hz monitor really makes a difference, a much more stable image than on a 60hz monitor.

Players
372 posts
5,825 battles
11 hours ago, Donar79 said:

It’s visible, and many will tell you they CAN see the difference between 120/144/200+ hz screens (and they might be able to) but in reality in the foveal area of your sight (where you are looking) it begins to drop off after around 90hz.

the higher you go over that, you begin to get diminishing returns for your money.

edit: I found a study done a few years ago found we can see an image clearly in as little as 13 milliseconds, which works out around 76FPS, so with a 60hz screen, you wouldn’t get the best out of it. With a 100+ you’re almost guaranteed to get a much better image.

[SHAFT]
Players
1,237 posts
25,076 battles
12 hours ago, Cyanide_NL said:

In Aslain mod pack is also an option to set the LOD to maximum, it makes the game look better, no idea why it's not in the game.

Which one is it? Can't see it, could you assist?

[MERCS]
Players
77 posts
7,543 battles
11 hours ago, tsounts said:

Which one is it? Can't see it, could you assist?

You have to scroll all the way to the bottom in the mod pack, there is an option: Enable max level of detail in the game options

Just above the FPS limiter option.

Then it will be set to maximum automatically, at least on my pc.

[SHAFT]
Players
1,237 posts
25,076 battles
13 hours ago, Cyanide_NL said:

You have to scroll all the way to the bottom in the mod pack, there is an option: Enable max level of detail in the game options

Just above the FPS limiter option.

Then it will be set to maximum automatically, at least on my pc.

But you can use maximum settings via the game's settings without using Aslain's modpack as far as I can tell.
My desktop won't be able to handle all this stress though :(