Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MadBadDave

USS Laffey (DD-724)

23 comments in this topic

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

In light of so many fantasy paper ships being introduced into a WORLD WAR 2, naval game could I please ask WG to consider USS Laffey (DD-724), as a premium, possibly a T9 ?.

Given what she did, in combat, unlike ALL Russian Botes combined ;-), I feel she and no doubt many other ships deserve a place in the game ?.  Less fiction, more fact please WG !.

• Cool 5

[JRM]
Players
7,196 posts
6 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

In light of so many fantasy paper ships being introduced into a WORLD WAR 2, naval game could I please ask WG to consider USS Laffey (DD-724), as a premium, possibly a T9 ?.

Given what she did, in combat, unlike ALL Russian Botes combined ;-), I feel she and no doubt many other ships deserve a place in the game ?.  Less fiction, more fact please WG !.

We already have a Summner class as YY so its TX, other then that... :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,820 posts
20,053 battles
30 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

Yeah.

But why would you want - a subpar at best - capitalist pig boat (made with stolen - and discarded due to old age - RU technology), when you can have super stronk OP fantasy communist ship, that, IF IT HAD EXISTED, would roflstmp everything! TO THE GULAG!

But yeah, i'd like to see actual existing ships instead of fap towel designs.

Besides, not many know this, but EVERY Navy in the world had those fap towel designs, the thing is, that all the russians had, and were capable of during WWII, were some ideas and designs.

In case of Intererest, go to YT, search for Drachinifel Tillman designs (hilarious), or even the RN designs for BBs that resulted in the Nelsons due to Naval treaty.

• Cool 4

Players
1,987 posts
19,718 battles
4 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Inb4 USS Laffey (DD-459) as a Benson-clone for 3rd AL collab.

Have to admit I see that being the more likely addition out of the different Laffey's

[SM0KE]
Players
6,395 posts
14,928 battles
1 hour ago, MadBadDave said:

Less fiction, more fact please WG !.

This.

Whilst I entirely understand the need for at least some paper in the game, the more real things the better!

(FWIW I'd buy the ship the OP is proposing, even though I have both YY and Gearing already)

Players
10,259 posts
12,019 battles
1 hour ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Inb4 USS Laffey (DD-459) as a Benson-clone for 3rd AL collab.

Or Javelin for that matter.

• Cool 1

Players
10,259 posts
12,019 battles
Just now, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Could be worse things than Jabbers for a premium Jervis.

Premium Z-23, so you can Z-23 when waiting for Z-23

assuming someone would actually play Z-23 in first place

• Funny 2

[SCRUB]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,709 posts
10,585 battles

Well:

1793007036_USSLaffey2.thumb.jpg.dac6168a647d624a9ae93bc187b60b4f.jpg

That art render is from WoWs Fankit, which was available for download at least during early 2015.

• Cool 2

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,012 posts
29,145 battles

Well that is one well structured premium suggestion

2 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

In light of so many fantasy paper ships being introduced into a WORLD WAR 2, naval game could I please ask WG to consider USS Laffey (DD-724), as a premium, possibly a T9 ?

You clearly explained why you want this premium, give some idea what is it, its history explaining why it is significant and didn't even forget to mention that it is only Allen M Sumner left in the world and it is currently a museum ship. Very well done. Then you continue to explain why would you like it to be a T9 instead of T10 where her sister, YY, is. Must say that you missed some point there. I mean there are basically two possible configurations for Laffey, original one and post war one.

Original Configuration:

Well it is basically same as YY. But even here you have two options: same open bridge as YY or closed bridge which she received later and which she had on the April 16th, 1945, when she was hit with six Kamikaze planes and 4 bombs and still survived. I think that the latter bridge would be way more fitting here. But as she is the same as YY I don't see any chance for her to be at T9 in this configuration unless given bad reload or bad torps or both which I doubt anybody would want.

Post War Configuration:

After the war, and before modernization, USS Laffey had lost her aft torpedo tubes and all her Bofors guns were replaced with 2x2 + 2x1 3inch (76mm) AA guns, same AA guns we have on DM and Wooster.

05724180.jpg

05724181.jpg  

So in this configuration with only one torpedo launcher she could be at T9 but with proper balancing she could be at T10 also. I personally would prefere for her to be T10 premium tho.

But well done with well explained premium premium proposal.

2 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

But then you wrote something totally irrelevant, you even bold it so to put emphasis on it, like this part is even more important that your premium suggestion, ruining such a great post.

• Bad 1

[JRM]
Players
7,196 posts
1 hour ago, fumtu said:

But as she is the same as YY I don't see any chance for her to be at T9 in this configuration unless given bad reload or bad torps or both which I doubt anybody would want.

Well not necessarily as YY is after all Pan Asian and hence bears the DWT-s while this would be US but I do get your point as if she would be given Gearing fish there would be no real difference between them, the post war config would be interesting though, maybe with a Hydro or TRB as the gimmick or even radar...

Players
7,422 posts
245 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

Premium Z-23, so you can Z-23 when waiting for Z-23

assuming someone would actually play Z-23 in first place

zoe best dd.

kalk best bunny.

Players
2,238 posts
4,794 battles
1 hour ago, CptBarney said:

kalk best bunny.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2gHL61WBZDrUeW1iqhgh

Are we talking about the same Kalk?

The same Kalk who is only marginally better dressed than Bache? (WARNING: do NOT Google AL Bache unless safesearch is on)

Is this the same thing as when you said you liked z-20 and claimed it was only because her face made you smile? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Spoiler

:Smile_trollface:

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 hour ago, CptBarney said:

zoe best dd.

kalk best bunny.

Even Hobby is better than Kalk, for the chibi expressions.

Both don't hold a candle to Benson and Laffey though and overall for bunny the game is pretty poor, where you either like the 2nd CV div or buy the artbook (p. 12 and 31).

NC skin when, Yostar?

Players
7,422 posts
245 battles
Just now, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Even Hobby is better than Kalk, for the chibi expressions.

Both don't hold a candle to Benson and Laffey though and overall for bunny the game is pretty poor, where you either like the 2nd CV div or buy the artbook (p. 12 and 31).

NC skin when, Yostar?

They need to update kalks expressions her chibi doesn't seem to fit her regular sized art.

Eh, i like laffey. Dont care much for hobby or benson (or know them well enough). I dont understand what you mean by the last part.

gib boooooogue a skin pls.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,347 posts
18,216 battles
6 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

USS Laffey (DD-724), as a premium, possibly a T9 ?.

Hmm. I'd prefer an original Sims with sensible torpedoes (they originally had 3 x 4, like Mahan), a Porter class leader or one of the Bagley/Gridley class (Maury, maybe?) as a Tier IX with more speed and slower torpedo reload. They'd still be able to kick out 16 torpedoes but it wouldn't be spam spam spam....

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
4 hours ago, fumtu said:

But well done with well explained premium premium proposal.

T8 Kidd, T9 Fletcher class, Gearing T10, given Laffey was Sumner class would make sense to have it as handicapped T9 (something like Kidd or Sims but with Uber AA), or full on T10.

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

Hmm. I'd prefer an original Sims with sensible torpedoes (they originally had 3 x 4, like Mahan), a Porter class leader or one of the Bagley/Gridley class (Maury, maybe?) as a Tier IX with more speed and slower torpedo reload. They'd still be able to kick out 16 torpedoes but it wouldn't be spam spam spam....

Sims is hampered by its sea mines must admit this is one buff I would like to see, Kidd is in similar bote (torp handicap).

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
9 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

USS Laffey's story is cool, butT9?

As long it's not at expenses of USS Jonhston  (DD-557) which is a Fletcher.

Players
463 posts
7,358 battles
12 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

Shouldn't this be in the suggestions forum?

Sign in to follow this