Server restart - 22/10 at 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AuxiliusM

Torp Acceleration on CV's

7 comments in this topic

Question

[BATES]
Players
7 posts
3,612 battles

Question: Is my below assumption right/wrong. What am i missing maybe? Are there benefits to TA (except that they can catch up to some targets being faster)?

Here is what i'm thinking atm:

Considering that torp aiming time is the same (with or without) and i have to drop earlier for the torps to be armed on target,

I am exchanging a bit of time were the planes are carrying the torp, with a bit of time, were they swim (slightly faster) throw the water on their own.

Because torps are always slower than planes, in all cases the torp will hit later with TA.

So TA is bad, always.

6 answers to this question

[XTREM]
Players
2,301 posts
16,277 battles

It's not bad. You just have to take it into consideration when using it. 

It can be useful for getting your torps on target when giving lead to fast ships, and ships in a turn. That being said, you need to keep in mind that taking this skill increases your torpedo arming distance(the yellow bar). 

IMO It's pretty useful on ships like Audacious and Midway, who's torps are very slow. It's less useful on ships with already fast torps, like Hakuryu. Myself, I take it on Haku anyways(along with Aerial Torps Mod. 1) because 58kt torps are kinda lulzy, but Hakus' already huge arming distance increases to a whopping 772m. That's a little iffy. 

In the end, it's down to personal preference. There are pros and cons. 

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
2,069 posts
15,139 battles
22 minutes ago, AuxiliusM said:

Question: Is my below assumption right/wrong. What am i missing maybe? Are there benefits to TA (except that they can catch up to some targets being faster)?

Here is what i'm thinking atm:

Considering that torp aiming time is the same (with or without) and i have to drop earlier for the torps to be armed on target,

I am exchanging a bit of time were the planes are carrying the torp, with a bit of time, were they swim (slightly faster) throw the water on their own.

Because torps are always slower than planes, in all cases the torp will hit later with TA.

So TA is bad, always.

Regardless of whether you TA or not, the time between when you release the torps and when they arm is the same. The distance is not the same, but the time it takes them to cross that distance is, since the time is what defines that distance in combination with their speed (hence why increasing the torp speed increases the arming range). It is impossible to speed up a torp so that it hits a target faster than its arming time, otherwise it is just a dud.

The extra 5knts can still provide slow torps with enough relative speed to hit certain targets, US 35knt torps can be very slow compared to some ships.

Also dropping from slightly further away with no negative impact on the enemies reaction time can mean less AA damage, which could make the difference between dropping 1 extra torp.

The downside is for Hakuryu, who is able to stealth drop a set of torpedos unless they have TA which shortens the torpedo range to less than their torpedo bombers best possible concealment.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
8,915 posts
45,332 battles

I use TA on RN and USN CV. On IJN it's not recommended. On GZ you can take it but you need points for secondaries. 

Players
158 posts
4,507 battles

i retrained all my CV cpts with the free respec last patch to exclude TA. It felt bugged, i started drastically fail my drops compared to when i did not have TA.

When i dropped my torps with TA on the edge of the arming distance they would not arm in time, i did not have this problem when not using TA. It just feels like the visuals are abit glitchy with this skill.

Players
392 posts
3,934 battles
On 3/17/2020 at 2:38 AM, MacArthur92 said:

I use TA on RN and USN CV. On IJN it's not recommended. On GZ you can take it but you need points for secondaries. 

What is the base torp speed on GZ?