You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Butterdoll

HE spamming

39 comments in this topic

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles

So, after this amazing IFHE rework, what's the best way to burn BBs?

especially high tiers BBs

I just unlock Orion and  burns everything it touches. and it's fast...very fast ...so fast that one can take a nap between point A to point B.

apart from that .

will this continue from...let's say from t6 to t8?

I heard bad things about Monarch, why?

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
Just now, Butterdoll said:

I just unlock Orion and  burns everything it touches. and it's fast...very fast ...so fast that one can take a nap between point A to point B.

apart from that .

T5 is an Orion but with better accuracy.

T6 is AP focused.

T7 is HE like T4 and T5.

T8 is a throwback to T6, focusing on AP.

T9 and T10 are mostly HE again.

The reason Monarch has a bad rep is because people consider it mediocre. Especially people who prefer HE, after KGV they find Monarch disappointing, because the gun caliber provides no advantage there. Given Monarch has just slightly worse AP than Bismarck though, it is definitely usable and Monarch does have the best T8 BB dpm thanks to 25s reload. Also, best concealment and best repair.

And the best way to burn BBs after IFHE rework is to use those ships that never cared about the skill anyway, so Kleber, British BB, CV with HE bombs.

Players
891 posts
18,430 battles

I assume your question is regarding Brit BBs?

T6 - Use AP. Those 380mm guns hurt

T7 - Here is a bit of a mixed bag. Personally I rely mostly on HE with very few exceptions

T8 - Monarch is.. oof.. eats pens left right and centre, dispersion is questionable, AA is nothing exceptional.. it's kinda bad

T9 - Baby Conq - HE is the flavor

• Cool 1

Players
7,464 posts
245 battles
3 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

T5 is an Orion but with better accuracy.

T6 is AP focused.

T7 is HE like T4 and T5.

T8 is a throwback to T6, focusing on AP.

T9 and T10 are mostly HE again.

The reason Monarch has a bad rep is because people consider it mediocre. Especially people who prefer HE, after KGV they find Monarch disappointing, because the gun caliber provides no advantage there. Given Monarch has just slightly worse AP than Bismarck though, it is definitely usable and Monarch does have the best T8 BB dpm thanks to 25s reload. Also, best concealment and best repair.

And the best way to burn BBs after IFHE rework is to use those ships that never cared about the skill anyway, so Kleber, British BB, CV with HE bombs.

Oh yeah i've been meaning to ask you, since you seem pretty knowledgeable with monarch what is the best way to play her in key situations? (like ambushing, being the only bb on a flank, bottom tier, top tier etc.)

but yeah QE is amazing AP, KGV's AP only works around 14km and below or against tier 5 bbs bow on like bretange or new york (i think you can citadel both ships from the front, but i havent played her for ages).

i limited experience in monarch but she seems pretty gud, i just need to learn how to player her better.#

im hoping or rather was hoping t9 and t10 would be ap focused but doesn't seem like it which is a shame.

[THESO]
Players
4,601 posts

Monarch AP penetration is crap especially at long ranges.

Dispersion is bad and it gets punished even when angled. The only way to play it is stay at long range and spam HE. Or play it in coop only like I do.

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
20 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Oh yeah i've been meaning to ask you, since you seem pretty knowledgeable with monarch what is the best way to play her in key situations? (like ambushing, being the only bb on a flank, bottom tier, top tier etc.)

Bottom tier, support BB. Find a BB that is a proper tank and support it with your dpm. If people get the idea to actually focus you, go dark till they stop and you recover. Otherwise, bully cuisers.

Top tier, play like a typical BB. Try to avoid being in positions where people farm you with HE faster than your repair can recover. Central positions get you killed most of the time, so try to use flanks and/or terrain to limit the angles from which you can be fired at.

16 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Monarch AP penetration is crap especially at long ranges.

Dispersion is bad and it gets punished even when angled. The only way to play it is stay at long range and spam HE. Or play it in coop only like I do.

Monarch AP pen isn't great, but it isn't horrendous. It's not some T8 PEF or Scharnhorst. You still have over 400 mm of penetration at 15 km, enough to go through a lot of the belts of T6-T9. Against cruisers, Monarch is effective up to maximum range, obviously.

Dispersion is average. You get same on buffed Bismarck and it's better than the Richelieu and Roma. Unlike those you get more shells though. As for getting punished when angled... only two BBs can go through your bow. The entire rest would first need to get through the belt. At T8, Monarch has one of the best armour belts.

Shooting HE at long range in a Monarch is basically just throwing away the potential of the ship. You get the worst of its accuracy and you have no noticeable improvements over KGV. This kind of playstyle is the very reason people think the ship is utter garbage, when you can HE spam better one tier lower. Monarch's strengths lie in having the necessary pen, overmatch and AP dpm to use its AP at medium ranges, where it doesn't have issues with going through armour and where it can fall off detection if required to stay alive thanks to new improved heal. HE can be loaded when you need to deal with bow campers, DDs or angled 27 mm cruisers.

• Cool 1

Players
2,667 posts
11,390 battles
34 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

but yeah QE is amazing AP, KGV's AP only works around 14km and below or against tier 5 bbs bow on like bretange or new york (i think you can citadel both ships from the front, but i havent played her for ages).

i limited experience in monarch but she seems pretty gud, i just need to learn how to player her better.#

im hoping or rather was hoping t9 and t10 would be ap focused but doesn't seem like it which is a shame.

Ambusher. From tier 8 to 10 UK BBs have very good stealth for a BB. You shoot, reposition and just repeat. Only diff is Monarch is more AP-centric and doesnt have super heal ( or does it have it now since the citadel nerf, lol can remember off hand).

But yeah stick to AP for it over HE. 

• Cool 1

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,973 posts
13,218 battles

Played recently for that 20 fires or citadels in 1 game directive :Smile_hiding:

Also it was my 10.000th game jubiluem

shot-20.02.25_00.06.01-0373.jpg

• Cool 2

Players
3,147 posts
17,785 battles
58 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

Same hull as KGV, fewer guns with bigger calibre but less fire chance....and good dispersion is two shells going in the same direction on the same day.

Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles
52 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

My main issue with Monarch was atrocious accuracy, little use of 11.5km detection when sneaking up to unsuspecting cruiser when entire salvo goes full speschul all over the place.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
4 minutes ago, pra3y said:

Ambusher. From tier 8 to 10 UK BBs have very good stealth for a BB. You shoot, reposition and just repeat. Only diff is Monarch is more AP-centric and doesnt have super heal ( or does it have it now since the citadel nerf, lol can remember off hand).

No super heal, but KGV, DoY and Monarch were handed improved heal, bringing the number of different RN BB heals up to 4:

RN tech line BB T3-T6: restores up to 60% of pen damage, 10% of citadel damage, 0.5%/s for 28s, 80s CD, max 5 charges

RN tech line BB T7-T8: restores up to 75% of pen damage, 10% of citadel damage, 0.6%/s for 28s, 60s CD, max 5 charges

RN tech line BB T9-10 & Nelson: restores up to 75% of pen damage, 10% of citadel damage, 2%/s for 20s, 80s CD, max 4 charges

Vanguard & Thunderer: restores up to 60% of pen damage, 33% of citadel damage, 0.6%/s for 28s, 60s CD, max 5 charges

For comparison, standard repair on BB: restores up to 50% of pen damage, 10% of citadel damage, 0.5%/s for 28s, 80s CD

Number of charges not counting extra charge from ABC proc. Monarch basically doesn't get a lolheal, but if you don't take massive amounts of damage, Monarch can quickly go through its 20% better than normal repairs that will not run out of repairable hp unless you eat a cit/torp or cap out.

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
7,212 posts

IDK I play all BBs pretty much the same, try to farm broadsides and if needed overmatchable plate, only fire HE if you cant pen with AP or you absolutely need to start fires or have the damage ticking on target and secondaries are not an option...

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
11 minutes ago, Panocek said:

My main issue with Monarch was atrocious accuracy, little use of 11.5km detection when sneaking up to unsuspecting cruiser when entire salvo goes full speschul all over the place.

It still allows for the play though and it is useful for disengaging. Just keep a plan B for when the thing you shot at doesn't die. But that I try to do in every BB, because RNG always can screw you over.

And while I sure would find an increase in accuracy neat, I'm not sure if it'd really is necessary balance-wise, as well as from the way it would make Monarch an even bigger threat to cruisers, given 11.5 km detection is pretty insane for a BB. 

Players
7,464 posts
245 battles

@Bunny_Lover_Kallen Thanks for the tips btw, i actually like monarch considerably more than KGV, which i bloody despise at this point lol.

I've noticed her AP to be very good on cruisers and her detection is excellent (heard it can go below 11km or something).

Her accuracy sometimes has a fit however and i've heard its worse than her german counter parts (not sure about that never played them).

@pra3y also thanks as well!

• Cool 1

[RODS]
Players
1,598 posts
7,706 battles

Had a game yesterday in Zaö  71k from fires isnt bad (for me at least)

Fast shells, laser accuacy and almost DD dispersion at long range, 23% firechance, (Demo Expert and flags)

Ability to reliably "relight" them after they damage conned 

Arsonist, Witherer, High caliber and Devstrike in one game

shot-20_03.14_19_34.36-0165.thumb.jpg.54bbfbe51240cf9858b96634d5dee6af.jpg

Tier 8 Mogami is not to be scoffed at either but there are many others that in the right hands will do a lot of damage

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
Just now, CptBarney said:

@Bunny_Lover_Kallen Thanks for the tips btw, i actually like monarch considerably more than KGV, which i bloody despise at this point lol.

I've noticed her AP to be very good on cruisers and her detection is excellent (heard it can go below 11km or something).

11.5 km.

1 minute ago, CptBarney said:

Her accuracy sometimes has a fit however and i've heard its worse than her german counter parts (not sure about that never played them).

Buffed Germans are now on the same level as Monarch. Pre-buff, Germans were in a boat with French and Roma and thus somewhat worse. Yes, some people claim the guns behave worse, but from raw stats, that is not the case and confirmation bias runs rampant with such claims. Same reason why some people seem to act as if the buff on Germans turned them from dreadful to actually decent dispersion, as if they were hitting so much more.

As a bonus though, Monarch has the fastest reload and highest dpm among T8 BBs, so you get to try again faster. Also, just because you are not assured to sink a target doesn't mean you are incapable of such. Enemies still have to respect your guns.

• Cool 2

Players
7,464 posts
245 battles
2 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

11.5 km.

Ahh ok.

2 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Buffed Germans are now on the same level as Monarch. Pre-buff, Germans were in a boat with French and Roma and thus somewhat worse. Yes, some people claim the guns behave worse, but from raw stats, that is not the case and confirmation bias runs rampant with such claims. Same reason why some people seem to act as if the buff on Germans turned them from dreadful to actually decent dispersion, as if they were hitting so much more.

As a bonus though, Monarch has the fastest reload and highest dpm among T8 BBs, so you get to try again faster. Also, just because you are not assured to sink a target doesn't mean you are incapable of such. Enemies still have to respect your guns.

I forgot about the dispersion buff, although my only bbs line atm are the british (highest), french (second highest) and muricans (third highest), think im kinda used to poor accuracy due to the french line, i found switching from monarch to georgia to be an experience since georgia requires a lot more lead (but is a lot more consistent).

Getting hit by germans doesn't seem to be any different than before, still get enemy biscuits and FDG's missing entire salvos more than once in a row from 12km+ out.

[JRM]
Players
7,212 posts
20 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

Tier 8 Mogami is not to be scoffed at either but there are many others that in the right hands will do a lot of damage

Meh, Mogami is and always was a nice cruiser, now that she has basically heavy cruiser plate she is even nicer but she still suffers from the lack of heal horribly...

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,363 posts
5,766 battles
10 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Meh, Mogami is and always was a nice cruiser, now that she has basically heavy cruiser plate she is even nicer but she still suffers from the lack of heal horribly...

Not as horribly as you might think actually as she's also one of the stealthiest and most agile T8 cruisers in the game even today.

[RODS]
Players
1,598 posts
7,706 battles
13 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Yeah, it is a good firestarter tho, pity they dont have the 155:s on the Atago

PT, rudder shift module, kite, angle, play with speed and pray to rnjesus as always, maybe the 27 mm wil help Mogami some

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

On the topic of T8 cruisers. Mainz will be lulz, given you get not just one of the best HE dpm values, but also the lack of need for IFHE makes the 11% fire chance with flags and DE extremely competitive, also considering that no other T8 cruiser shoots as many shells per minute.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
7,212 posts
19 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Not as horribly as you might think actually as she's also one of the stealthiest and most agile T8 cruisers in the game even today.

Played her the other day

10 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

On the topic of T8 cruisers. Mainz will be lulz, given you get not just one of the best HE dpm values, but also the lack of need for IFHE makes 33333333the 11% fire chance with flags and DE extremely competitive, also considering that no other T8 cruiser shoots as many shells per minute.

Yep, I was thinking exactly the same thing, also I have Lutiens and while getting 140 hits in Hindi is doable but takes some time and is far from a given, doing 140 hits in Mainz wont be an issue at all as she spits out shells like crazy...

BTW IDK if anyone else noticed but her "SOON" watermark was removed in the extended tree mod view so maybe she is due soon, perhaps even this update...

Players
3,493 posts
2 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

apart from that .

What is worse is the spamming of CV's, help here help there, just alt'ed F4 out of a game due so some play ruining my process of hunting DD's,why, because the red CV put his fighters on our  back line.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,363 posts
5,766 battles
20 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Played her the other day

And I am still grinding my way through her, your point sir? We might not agree (potentially) on how much her not having a heal affects her, but surely her agility and stealth are undeniable.

[JRM]
Players
7,212 posts
30 minutes ago, lafeel said:

And I am still grinding my way through her, your point sir? We might not agree (potentially) on how much her not having a heal affects her, but surely her agility and stealth are undeniable.

My point is I know very well how she performs after the buff (as well as before) and while its better then before the armor buff she is still fragile and (as most T8 cruisers) when she takes damage it sticks, one mistake and the fight is over for you even if you survive you will be useless, OFC said fact (not having a heal) doesnt prevent you from being "befriended" most of the time by the T9/10 BBs that (still) overmatch you wherever they hit and hit you will be because no agility will be enough to dodge hail of BB shells from 14 km for long