Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
CloakingDonkey

Armor Changes. What have you noticed?

36 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
332 posts
214 battles

So from the playing I've done so far the only differences I have noticed are that torpedoes seem to do quite a bit less damage to battleships now and that Destroyer guns have a hard time penetrating anything that isn't another destroyer... The Warspite still buckles like a belt to enemy battleship fire (wyomings had no problem penetrating their shots at both long and short range)

So are there any specific interactions I just haven't come across yet or is this the great "let's help a BB-Brother out" patch? :P

Beta Tester
512 posts
671 battles

Angling makes a huge difference. Sailed against 3 BBs in my Warspite earlier and came out on top with less than 500hp left and on fire.

Beta Tester
332 posts
214 battles

hmm so thats why my warspite takes one isokaze torp and loses half of health

yeah I highly doubt that to be true but ok :P

Angling makes a huge difference. Sailed against 3 BBs in my Warspite earlier and came out on top with less than 500hp left and on fire.

Interesting. Doesn't that kind of speak for longer ranged combat though if you can just angle at short range and avoid damage?

• Cool 1

[HFR]
Beta Tester
16 posts
3,810 battles

I approved that. Played one game so far with my trollspite and i wasn't dissapointed. Far more tough than before when angled. And the amazing precision of her guns let me troll a New York - I barely lost 20% HP while i killed her with 2 salvos.

Thanks for the adequat armor system, at last ! :honoring:

Edited by Wehzeit

[-DKBG]
Beta Tester
209 posts

Must be different game we are playing then.

Took one torpedo to the stern of the ship. 15 k gone of hp....never done that before max 6-9 k of damage.

Torps do much more damage now then before. 

Beta Tester
135 posts
890 battles

If you're sailing with a flat broadside against the enemy it doesn't make a huge difference, but the moment the angle starts to increase AP shells have a lot harder a time inflicting any serious damage. It's very noticeable, especially in close quarter (less than 10km) fights between BBs. Knowing where exactly to aim at any given target (and it changes based on range due to different shell trajectories) is more important than ever, rather than just shooting towards the middle and praying for a citadel penetration.

Beta Tester
21 posts
2,248 battles

Must be different game we are playing then.

Took one torpedo to the stern of the ship. 15 k gone of hp....never done that before max 6-9 k of damage.

Torps do much more damage now then before. 

yeah, seems like it....here is one little situation i had today in my ijn DD....i think i was surprised just like the guy in his BB....

mutsuki 14.05.15. huge 1torp dmg 1.png

mutsuki 14.05.15. huge 1torp dmg 2.png

[REKT]
Beta Tester
318 posts
4,037 battles

Thing is, the torpedo belt does not run all the way to the stern. Outside of the belt you take allot more damage

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
33 posts
2,602 battles

Basically seems like we've gone from use AP vs everything to use HE vs everything. People bounce some AP shells off me then just switch to HE and wear me down with fire. Why bother risking a bounce or just hoping for a citadel when you can blow up turrets and set people on fire again and again. The shells did need rebalancing because AP was too useful too often, but it feels like we've swung too far in the opposite direction now.

Edited by Qel_
  • Cool 2

[FIFO]
Beta Tester
413 posts
876 battles

I have heard plinking noises indicating bounces and whatnot, and more very low damage numbers popping up when using AP on various targets. AP is however, still the most reliable way of getting massive damage citadel hits. It just seems to be more hit-and miss then it used to be.

I have also noticed a serious increase in HE usefulness as its fire frequency seems to have gone up, even though fire damage does not seem to be as reliable anymore. (still need to test this more thoroughly, but it seems HE has finally become useful on targets other then carriers)

torpedo damage seems to have gone up, as if torpedo's "max out" far more often then they used to do (this from the side of a person launching the torpedo's) oddly enough, the sweet spot for torpedo hits has moved from the center of the enemy ship more to the bow or stern.

keep in mind the patch is brand new and its only my observations of 1 day..we will get a better picture in a couple of weeks. 

Beta Tester
332 posts
214 battles

qOgTTPE.jpg

that's a New York. 4 hits. 2 regular into his Bow for 6426 and 6379 and 2 critical, one into his engine the other one into one of his front gun magazines... So how exactly can he be both protected by his belt armor (take reduced damage, sims max dmg = 11k) AND take critical hits to his internal components?

Beta Tester
202 posts
3,207 battles

Armour angling works significantly better than it did previously (and it worked pretty well in the older patches). Now a New York that has a 15 degree Angle on Bow to you will bounce six 14 inch shells. That's a nice change. The Warspite is far tougher if you bear that in mind and don't derp around showing your broadside to everyone. 

Beta Tester
332 posts
214 battles

You hit him with 4 torps

uhm... I know? your point being? Is it the more torpedoes you hit the less damage they do? :P

Beta Tester
38 posts
472 battles

So from the playing I've done so far the only differences I have noticed are that torpedoes seem to do quite a bit less damage to battleships now and that Destroyer guns have a hard time penetrating anything that isn't another destroyer... The Warspite still buckles like a belt to enemy battleship fire (wyomings had no problem penetrating their shots at both long and short range)

So are there any specific interactions I just haven't come across yet or is this the great "let's help a BB-Brother out" patch? :P

:ohmy: are you brain damaged man now torps do insane dmg , first torp dmg , then flood, one torp with flod kiled me from 20k hp to 0 in about 25-30 sec , flood and fire now deal insane amount of dmg to ships so you wana buff torps even more best will be that ship sinks even before you fire torp :sceptic:

Beta Tester
38 posts
472 battles

qOgTTPE.jpg

that's a New York. 4 hits. 2 regular into his Bow for 6426 and 6379 and 2 critical, one into his engine the other one into one of his front gun magazines... So how exactly can he be both protected by his belt armor (take reduced damage, sims max dmg = 11k) AND take critical hits to his internal components?

:teethhappy: dude how close you are you are lucky that you are alive secondary gung should rip you apart in that carton box and you are crying for cuting that bb more than 80% of hp rest will do flood and fire best will be if one torp kill yamato, i shoot dd with 5 shells from point blank range and did 300dmg  so what if we want real that 500kn shells would rip apart that dd even without detonating he would have 5 holes size of a car in him so jea buff torps more :izmena:

Players
299 posts
692 battles

Thing is, the torpedo belt does not run all the way to the stern. Outside of the belt you take allot more damage

This, the ends of the ship never had torpedo blisters, and later internal torpedo bulkheads also couldn't be mounted as there was not enough space in the ends of the ship. So torpedos to the ends of a battleship should do massive damage. Prince of Wales was pretty much sunk solely beecause of a torpedo hit to her stern caused her propeller shaft to tear the ship a new rear-end. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
512 posts
671 battles

uhm... I know? your point being? Is it the more torpedoes you hit the less damage they do? :P

Four torps is enough to rip any BB to bits. Armour doesn't do all that much against torp hits unless they have torp bulges like the Warspite. The way you laid out your question I thought you were saying you did that damage with your main guns :teethhappy:
  • Cool 1

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,339 posts
1,891 battles

:ohmy: are you brain damaged man now torps do insane dmg , first torp dmg , then flood, one torp with flod kiled me from 20k hp to 0 in about 25-30 sec , flood and fire now deal insane amount of dmg to ships so you wana buff torps even more best will be that ship sinks even before you fire torp :sceptic:

uhm are you aware of what you said? torps dont do insane damage with new patch they are armed like that since the start of CBT a shimakaze can take a yamato down if we consider each torp does 15k(normally 20k-23k) a shimakaze with luck will need 6 torps to sink a yamato torps had this power from the start nothing changed
  • Cool 1

[-MM]
Beta Tester
1,182 posts
1,435 battles

HE has been over buffed, several times now cruisers have just set me on fire every salvo and do like 3000-400 with a few hit of HE, thus making armour useless. 

Beta Tester
14 posts
2,648 battles

HE has been over buffed, several times now cruisers have just set me on fire every salvo and do like 3000-400 with a few hit of HE, thus making armour useless. 

I have also noticed that,i was firing at a South Carolina Battleship with my cruisers 127mm HE shells and did 2k dmg to him with every single shot.Something there is not right :/

Beta Tester
332 posts
214 battles

Four torps is enough to rip any BB to bits. Armour doesn't do all that much against torp hits unless they have torp bulges like the Warspite. The way you laid out your question I thought you were saying you did that damage with your main guns :teethhappy:

yeah I know I used to kill battleships with 4 torps all the time... even with the Sims' crappy torpedoes.. which is why I started this thread cause seriously look at that screenshot in the spoiler... 7500 damage on a critical engine hit? that doesn't seem at all legit ._.

Beta Tester
202 posts
3,207 battles

I have also noticed that,i was firing at a South Carolina Battleship with my cruisers 127mm HE shells and did 2k dmg to him with every single shot.Something there is not right :/

If he let you wail on him then it's his fault for being tunnel visioned. I don't mind the damage that HE does, cruisers need ways to damage battleships or you don't have a competitive game (you have world of increasingly bad battleship players), but the fire damage chances need looked at.
Edited by OnboardG1

Sign in to follow this