Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
PsychoClownfish

DPM difference between Fiji and Edinburgh

28 comments in this topic

Players
145 posts

Today I got my Fiji all upgraded, and just out of curiosity I looked how much stronger the next ship, Edinburgh is gonna be, particularly in dmg output. And to my surprise I noticed that the difference is zero.

Same guns, same amount of guns, same rate of fire, same shell being fired at the same speed. Am I missing something here? And if not, how does this make sense? Fiji feels like a pretty strong and versatile cruiser so far, so strong in fact I keep getting myself killed attacking Freddy's and Georgia's. :Smile-_tongue: But is it purely better consumables and 5k more HP that make Edinburgh a better ship, if at all?

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
13 minutes ago, PsychoClownfish said:

Today I got my Fiji all upgraded, and just out of curiosity I looked how much stronger the next ship, Edinburgh is gonna be, particularly in dmg output. And to my surprise I noticed that the difference is zero.

Same guns, same amount of guns, same rate of fire, same shell being fired at the same speed. Am I missing something here? And if not, how does this make sense? Fiji feels like a pretty strong and versatile cruiser so far, so strong in fact I keep getting myself killed attacking Freddy's and Georgia's. :Smile-_tongue: But is it purely better consumables and 5k more HP that make Edinburgh a better ship, if at all?

Better heal, better concealment, better torp range, more hp, no longer overmatched by 203 mm shells, option to switch the smoke for radar.

• Cool 5

[CKBK]
Beta Tester
939 posts
10,887 battles

I have the Edinbourgh. What is this "smoke consumable" people are talking about? I only play RN cruiser with radar.

• Cool 1

Players
3,029 posts
13 minutes ago, Sturmtiger_304 said:

I have the Edinbourgh. What is this "smoke consumable" people are talking about? I only play RN cruiser with radar.

:cap_wander_2:

[ZEN]
Players
1,316 posts
14,197 battles
9 minutes ago, Sturmtiger_304 said:

I did that by mistake once, and somehow managed to live for 10 mins while within 12km of 3 T9 BBs, at the end I was like 4km from them before they killed me, Edinburgh is rather survivable... unlike the Neptune and Albermarle... Which seem to spontaneously explode on sight, I would even say it takes less damage than a Drake which just seems to eat citadels and pens...

[-TPF-]
Players
4,351 posts
18,216 battles
1 hour ago, PsychoClownfish said:

Same guns, same amount of guns, same rate of fire, same shell being fired at the same speed.

They're the same guns. :) Both ships were built at the same time (Edinburgh is about 10 months older).

Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles

Welcome to ships made to the same specs, or bound by the same treaty, which happen yo cover most tier 6-8 vessels.

In game wise, Edinbruh gets improved heal, option to swap smoke with radar, improved torps, 16mm plating so she no longer can be overmatched by 203mm guns. And by virtue of being tier 8, she can mount Concealment upgrade, bringing her detection to 9km if memory serves me right.

Players
1,270 posts

Yes, there is no difference. Same guns only shooting AP and Edinburgh is nowhere near as good playing at T8 with them, than Fiji is at T7.

Edinburgh for me felt like a massive step down from playing Fiji. I think they should have given Edinburgh and the Cruiser after it at T9 HE shells "as well as AP". Then back to only AP shells for the T10 ship. I struggled with Edinburgh trying to do much damage with them same guns playing at the higher tier, because they are just the same T7 guns as Fiji uses, but ships armour gets stronger at T8.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 hour ago, Sturmtiger_304 said:

I play it that way, but might have to go with smoke, because I find it hard to hunt DD when CV kills them faster...

Players
145 posts
2 hours ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Better heal, better concealment, better torp range, more hp, no longer overmatched by 203 mm shells, option to switch the smoke for radar.

Concealment is actually worse, but because of T8, you have access to concealment module.

Players
145 posts
45 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

Yes, there is no difference. Same guns only shooting AP and Edinburgh is nowhere near as good playing at T8 with them, than Fiji is at T7.

Edinburgh for me felt like a massive step down from playing Fiji. I think they should have given Edinburgh and the Cruiser after it at T9 HE shells "as well as AP". Then back to only AP shells for the T10 ship. I struggled with Edinburgh trying to do much damage with them same guns playing at the higher tier, because they are just the same T7 guns as Fiji uses, but ships armour gets stronger at T8.

Yeah, I can certainly see that happening to me. 

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Players
145 posts
47 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Welcome to ships made to the same specs, or bound by the same treaty, which happen yo cover most tier 6-8 vessels.

In game wise, Edinbruh gets improved heal, option to swap smoke with radar, improved torps, 16mm plating so she no longer can be overmatched by 203mm guns. And by virtue of being tier 8, she can mount Concealment upgrade, bringing her detection to 9km if memory serves me right.

Okay, I had missed the improved armor. That does make a difference.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 minute ago, PsychoClownfish said:

Concealment is actually worse, but because of T8, you have access to concealment module.

Comparing base stats and ignoring modules isn't really practical.

Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles
Just now, PsychoClownfish said:

Okay, I had missed the improved armor. That does make a difference.

While 203mm "immunity" is nice, amount of 230+ guns capable of overmatching 16mm plating only increases. So you may or may not be back at square one.

Or don't rely on armor in the first place:cap_tea:

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,338 posts
5,758 battles
1 minute ago, PsychoClownfish said:

No one is ignoring. Simply stating a fact. 

Except it's not a fact at all when you factor in the concealement module. And you SHOULD use that module on every cruiser in the game.

Players
145 posts
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

While 203mm "immunity" is nice, amount of 230+ guns capable of overmatching 16mm plating only increases. So you may or may not be back at square one.

Or don't rely on armor in the first place:cap_tea:

What, no bow tanking with the Edinburgh?

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

No one is ignoring. Simply stating a fact. 

Pointless fact. That's like saying Fuso has less hp than Kongo, because you opt to not get the top hull on the latter. The mere ability to get a concealment module makes a base stat approach in this characteristic absolutely mood.

• Cool 4

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,338 posts
5,758 battles
2 minutes ago, PsychoClownfish said:

Said it before and I'll say it again: if you're trying to rely on your armor in a cruiser, you're doing it wrong.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles

You might want to know your enemy. Brit CA of tier 9 and 10, Henri IV, supercruisers and all battleships are a no go.

Players
145 posts
Just now, lafeel said:

Except it's not a fact at all when you factor in the concealement module. And you SHOULD use that module on every cruiser in the game.

It IS a fact that concealment is worse for the Edinburgh. The use of the concealment module is optional. There is a reason there is more than one module available. I happen to agree with you that concealment is the most useful one, but it is still optional. And I guarantee you that there are players who've elected to use a different one, and can motivate that choice.

• Funny 2

Players
145 posts
2 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Pointless fact. That's like saying Fuso has less hp than Kongo, because you opt to not get the top hull on the latter. The mere ability to get a concealment module makes a base stat approach in this characteristic absolutely mood.

Wrong. You might elect a different module, and now you're more easily detected. Not moot at all.

• Bad 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Wrong. You might elect a different module, and now you're more easily detected. Not moot at all.

Because anyone who has any idea how to cruiser takes another module.

You know, Edinburgh also has worse AA than Fiji by that logic, because you can press P and make it 0. Is it smart? No. Is it in any way representative for the majority of ingame encounters? No. But you can, so it's a fact!

Sign in to follow this