Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Campbell

How close is Massa to Alsace gameplay wise

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
80 posts
2,816 battles

I am currently looking at getting a T8 premium battleship and keep coming back to the either the Massa or Vanguard. I currently have the Alsace and looking at the stats and the way people talk about the two, it seems if I bought the Massa I would be getting a ship very similar to me T9 frenchie. I really enjoy the mid range secondary playstyle, I am not very good at it yet (practicing lots in coop)  but hope to get better.

 

It is with saved up in game dubloums rather than online which restricts me to armory ships so if I dont get the Massa, I will probably either get vanguard, GZ, Kaga or Scharnie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAD]
Players
3,299 posts
13,523 battles

Massa is better than Alsace, certainly tier for tier but possibly even without taking tiers into account. 

I don’t really get on with Alsace due to its accuracy and lack of armour. 
Massa has great secondaries if you spec into them but even if you do not they are useful. Coupled with a fast reload heal and excellent manoeuvrability this ship is very strong.

 

I really enjoy the Vanguard it’s a manoeuvrable ship with accurate guns and great HE but it is more fragile. It’s a good ship but more of a challenge than the Massa.

 

i would add the Lenin to your list if I were you. It’s well armoured with accurate guns and great turret traverse.

  

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
28,956 posts
15,141 battles

The two play differently.

Alsace is a flanker.

Massa wants to get close and tends to stick to islands to let the secondaries do the work.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
80 posts
2,816 battles

Thanks, if the massa is the better choice I may stick with that as my mid range brawler and sell the alsace to help pay for the republique. 

 

I never even really looked at the lenin as the 3 fore turrets look never really appealed to me visually but I am aware that it is a decent ship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAD]
Players
3,299 posts
13,523 battles
17 minutes ago, Captain_Campbell said:

Thanks, if the massa is the better choice I may stick with that as my mid range brawler and sell the alsace to help pay for the republique. 

 

I never even really looked at the lenin as the 3 fore turrets look never really appealed to me visually but I am aware that it is a decent ship

It is ugly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,811 posts
39,434 battles

Masa is better to be built for secondaries than Alsace. Having 100mm secondaries with not much pen even with IFHE + get broken easily makes secondary build on it bad idea. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
80 posts
2,816 battles

Thanks for the advice, I got Massa and I love it, exactly what I was looking for. Only managed three games so far but made a great start. My first match I was top teir and there was 2 carriers, almost broke my damage record and did break my post-rework planes shot down record. Then 2 more games as bottom teir but I really didnt feel like I was at much of a disadvantage and still performed better than I would expect from myself. I havent chosen my 4 point talent yet, captain is at 13pts, not sure if it need manual secondaries or if i will spend them elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SINT]
Players
1,008 posts
22,240 battles

For Massa to fully shine as a secondary ship you really have to go deep in modules and captain skills that prevents you spending on alternatives like concealment and survivability. Extra range (aft), IFHE ( you can hit with 2ndaries but they lack pen without) and optional manual secondaries for even better hit chance and BFT for faster reload.

 

Alsace has adequate range on secondaries but they lack accuracy and pen which only can be buffed to at best mediocre standards..French secondaries imo are best left unrubuffed and used as a bonus because they excel in starting fires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAFT]
Players
11,804 posts
9,751 battles
44 minutes ago, Captain_Campbell said:

Thanks for the advice, I got Massa and I love it, exactly what I was looking for. Only managed three games so far but made a great start. My first match I was top teir and there was 2 carriers, almost broke my damage record and did break my post-rework planes shot down record. Then 2 more games as bottom teir but I really didnt feel like I was at much of a disadvantage and still performed better than I would expect from myself. I havent chosen my 4 point talent yet, captain is at 13pts, not sure if it need manual secondaries or if i will spend them elsewhere.

 

Basicly you want to go for full secondaries with Massa. If you dont, Massa doesnt perform that well compared to other BBs. Lets say, playing a tankbuild Massa is just worse than playing a tankbuild NC (or an Alabama if looking at premiums), not to mention other ships like Lenin. Massas guns are definetely lacking compared to others at her tier. I just had a really good game 2 days ago with it, but i couldnt use my secondaries. Most other BBs would have been better in that game, because of the more consistent guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ABRA]
[ABRA]
Players
107 posts
8,878 battles

If you want to play alsace, You should get Bourgogne.

French ships are flanker ships and speed and reload speed is their advantage. But their armor like everyone said is hilarious.

They especially very attractive for Spammers. Because taking a lot of damage.

But if you adapt her, Alsace is very agile and useful ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
7,239 posts
22 hours ago, Captain_Campbell said:

I am currently looking at getting a T8 premium battleship and keep coming back to the either the Massa or Vanguard. I currently have the Alsace and looking at the stats and the way people talk about the two, it seems if I bought the Massa I would be getting a ship very similar to me T9 frenchie. I really enjoy the mid range secondary playstyle, I am not very good at it yet (practicing lots in coop)  but hope to get better.

 

It is with saved up in game dubloums rather than online which restricts me to armory ships so if I dont get the Massa, I will probably either get vanguard, GZ, Kaga or Scharnie

Massa and Alsace have like 1 thing in common - long range secondaries, that s about it...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SINT]
Players
1,008 posts
22,240 battles
23 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Massa and Alsace have like 1 thing in common - long range secondaries, that s about it...

While Massa has accuracy you still need penetration and extra range. But with investment it can become a secondary monster.
 

Alsace has the firestarter chance bonus ( and a few more pew pew guns) but even with buffs and captain upgrades is not really a good pick for secondaries. It needs the accuracy module to ofset its bad sigma and aft and manual will only result in more low/ no DMG hits that even IFHE cannot compensate. For Alsace the secondaries are for fireworks and the occasional fires.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
7,239 posts
4 hours ago, Jvd2000 said:

While Massa has accuracy you still need penetration and extra range. But with investment it can become a secondary monster.
 

Alsace has the firestarter chance bonus ( and a few more pew pew guns) but even with buffs and captain upgrades is not really a good pick for secondaries. It needs the accuracy module to ofset its bad sigma and aft and manual will only result in more low/ no DMG hits that even IFHE cannot compensate. For Alsace the secondaries are for fireworks and the occasional fires.

Well IMHO - both secondary suits are mostly fire oriented, neither has really usable penetration that can guarantee its usefulness against other BBs or even CAs and neither is really useful against DDs either due to low hit rate (unless a "full tard" or bot is in the DD in which case killing them is mostly a moot point anyway) so both secondary suits are just a fireworks that occasionally start a fire, that is still not bad as it taxes the targets DCP and makes sure they bleed health in a brawl but building around those secs is IMO a mistake, only (as it stands) actually usable secs that are (sort of) worth building around are still KM as they actually pen delivering raw damage and the ships dont suffer that bad in a brawl due to turtleback and additional plate unlike both french and alternate US ships, dont get me wrong Massa can and will deliver some nice fires same as Georgia or Ohio (much more actually due to better sec guns) but still its more of a bonus then real asset to rely on as even with IFHE they only pen 27mm, both those secs are ok if you dont invest 2 much in them as say one can take AFT (frernch) or slap on sec module (us) to get some more range and add sec flag and thats it, sacrificing more is IMO not smart...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×