You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Perekotypole

Best ships for ranked?

37 comments in this topic

[UA-NF]
Players
478 posts
7,972 battles

What are best ships for current season for an average player? For ranks 5 and above, cruisers or BBs. DDs are out of the question, they are bad at preserving stars. I'm curious what ships are good at preserving stars and at same time useful overall for the team. 

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,973 posts
13,196 battles

Almost all ships are viable, of course you can always roflstop in CVs, i have seen a lot of Venezia, Hindenburg, Smolensk, the usual radar cruisers, Thunderer, Kremlin, Kurfurst.

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,212 posts
22,882 battles
1 hour ago, Perekotypole said:

I'm curious what ships are good at preserving stars and at same time useful overall for the team

That is a contradiction. Either you play for the win which is useful or you farm personal xp and tell your team to go :etc_swear: themselves.

You can only make progress by gaining stars. If your main goal is to keep stars you rely on the teams to carry your arse. Good luck with the teams I saw.

My advice: learn how to play your ship of choice and use that. Learn the basics in randoms and advanced tactics you can learn in ranked, especially when you play against better players in the same ship.

If you can't make it to rank 1 this season there will always be a next season.

My pick this season is the Daring. I have topped the scoreboard in wins and defeats, it's not impossible. Stealthier DDs can also work.

Any BB is good, pick whatever works best for you.

Radar cruisers are a strong pick. Venezia if you know how to aim and how to be in position to wreck DDs as soon as they are spotted.

And the best pick of them all is CV (Haku) for maximum carry potential.

• Cool 6

[LEEUW]
Players
2,733 posts
10,363 battles

Any Tx ship you're comfortable in. As long as you know how to play her and can carry your weight at tier 10. 

• Cool 1

[UA-NF]
Players
478 posts
7,972 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Ze_Reckless sagte:

That is a contradiction. Either you play for the win which is useful or you farm personal xp and tell your team to go :etc_swear: themselves.

You can only make progress by gaining stars. If your main goal is to keep stars you rely on the teams to carry your arse. Good luck with the teams I saw.

least of all I need advices from unicums. Especially the ones "just become unicum like me" or "every ship is good in my hands, so it should be in everyones"

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

Players
3,144 posts
17,777 battles

least of all I need advices from unicums. Especially the ones "just become unicum like me" or "every ship is good in my hands, so it should be in everyones"

What the man said is true, playing for stars and playing to win are two different and contradictory things. If you want to play ships that are useful to the team, then CV, radar ships and dds are a good bet. Sorry if you don't like the answer to the question you posed.

• Cool 1

[UA-NF]
Players
478 posts
7,972 battles
Vor 15 Minuten, GulvkluderGuld sagte:

What the man said is true, playing for stars and playing to win are two different and contradictory things. If you want to play ships that are useful to the team, then CV, radar ships and dds are a good bet. Sorry if you don't like the answer to the question you posed.

I don't have CV, so that's out of question for me. Also don't CVs get reduced XP? I don't often see them on top. DDs are bad for preserving stars, 100k damage game is a good one for DD, and you have to work hard for it, and you get easily outdone by some HE sniping Hindenburg. Because in DD you usually get only one chance to torp target. You get 50k damage on some BB but that's it, HE spammer would farm 100k on same BB, cause target is healing and still getting farmed. Citadel damage is same as fire damage for purposes of XP calculation.

I have Moskva but I don't even try it. I don't see other Moskvas/Stalins perform well here. There are no caps to radar, except for giant one in the middle. So radar is way less useful in general, and Moskva gets farmed by HE spammers in no time... and they don't have DPS to preserve stars either. DM is cool, but very skill heavy ship, so I don't touch it either. It's also very team dependent, if BBs don't cover your back you get flanked and killed.

Hindi seems like a decent all round, able to stay in giant cap, but most Hindis I see just farm damage from max range... 

• Bad 1

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,212 posts
22,882 battles

just become unicum like me

When I heard about stat sites for the first time my WR was 53%. That's around what you have right now. I learned from my mistakes, from other players' mistakes and I learned from watching players who were better than me. It was a long process (one or two years) but eventually I got to 60%. You can do that too.

least of all I need advices from unicums

Weird. I would prefer advice from people who know what they are talking about. Well, go ahead. Listen to the 1000-battle-rank-1 heroes and copy their fun and engaging way to rank 1 if you think that is easier:

477535184_rankedhero.thumb.png.b39b86059fcacc2473851a0ea8eddaeb.png

• Cool 2

[UA-NF]
Players
478 posts
7,972 battles
Vor 4 Minuten, Ze_Reckless sagte:

When I heard about stat sites for the first time my WR was 53%. That's around what you have right now. I learned from my mistakes, from other players' mistakes and I learned from watching players who were better than me. It was a long process (one or two years) but eventually I got to 60%. You can do that too.

when I heard about stat sites, my winrate was 49%, so I improved quite a bit... And I DO prefer advices from somebody who knows what they are talking about. And I fail to see how a unicum players would know what's better for average players. Knowing how to do something and teaching it to others are different things. Advise from another average player, like "oh I ranked out in that ship, and it took only that many fights", would be much more useful.

• Bad 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles

Better not play at all.

Moskva gets farm

DM, lots of skill.

Or you play a ship that you have and do the best you can and know

or you don't play that mode

Players
632 posts
4,964 battles

for an average player? Play a cruiser. First and foremost, a cruiser than can slow down a flanking attack. Its hilarious to watch as I sit in smoke with my balaensk stave off three or four ships on my own. There's a lot of lemming trains.  You'll need something that can be flexible and most CLs are.

Players
1,063 posts
39 minutes ago, NipplesTheClown said:

for an average player? Play a cruiser. First and foremost, a cruiser than can slow down a flanking attack. Its hilarious to watch as I sit in smoke with my balaensk stave off three or four ships on my own. There's a lot of lemming trains.  You'll need something that can be flexible and most CLs are.

No, Biasboat is because she's broken. Most CL's cannot do what she does, heck, most CA's can't either. 

Smolensk's main issue is that she simply doesn't take damage, she gets overpenned from all angles, citadels on her are pure luck. No other cruiser at the tier has this advantage. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[THESO]
Players
4,567 posts

My pick this season is the Thunderer... now I only need to play ranked lol

[JRM]
Players
7,196 posts
9 hours ago, Perekotypole said:

What are best ships for current season for an average player? For ranks 5 and above, cruisers or BBs. DDs are out of the question, they are bad at preserving stars. I'm curious what ships are good at preserving stars and at same time useful overall for the team. 

Sadly - Conqueror

[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Players
493 posts
7,772 battles
9 hours ago, Perekotypole said:

least of all I need advices from unicums.

So you want advice, but not from people who could actually give it? :cap_like:

[UA-NF]
Players
478 posts
7,972 battles
Vor 15 Minuten, TheBrut3 sagte:

So you want advice, but not from people who could actually give it? :cap_like:

I'm not sure, how somebody, who doesn't understand, that vast majority of players rank out by preserving stars, can give advices on how to rank out. Otherwise if it's a decent advice I'll take it.

Vor 4 Stunden, nambr9 sagte:

My pick this season is the Thunderer... now I only need to play ranked lol

Thunderer seems like a ship that's OK for preserving stars, but everybody just hates to see them on your team, because they are bad at everything else

• Bad 1

[JRM]
Players
7,196 posts
4 minutes ago, Perekotypole said:

Thunderer seems like a ship that's OK for preserving stars, but everybody just hates to see them on your team, because they are bad at everything else

Well not having a Thunderer I can only draw conclusions from other RN BBs I played (this includes 457 conq) and the conclusion is - they play them wrong, they are quite good and flexible mid range BBs, unfortunatley most of their owners either go for long range fire spam (which wont carry the match and Conq is even better for that job) that only serves to save star, or they end up brawling an Ohio/Kremlin/GKF point blank which is not likely to end well for them

Players
3,144 posts
17,777 battles
20 hours ago, Perekotypole said:

Because in DD you usually get only one chance to torp target. You get 50k damage on some BB but that's it, HE spammer would farm 100k on same BB, cause target is healing and still getting farmed.

There's your mistake. 2nd game today, running full gunboat Daring i got 80k damage, which is just a bit above average: Look at top 2. Only the Montana was hit by torps.

image.thumb.png.176ff2877fd5d9929b65eca45a400ede.png

image.thumb.png.019687c66decef6e4afcef91ce1a50ca.png

Players
3,592 posts
14,275 battles

I use Salem on NA and have great success in it. Might use my DM on EU. USN cruisers are great at area denial and pushing out those DD's. 

[UA-NF]
Players
478 posts
7,972 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, GulvkluderGuld sagte:

There's your mistake. 2nd game today, running full gunboat Daring i got 80k damage, which is just a bit above average: Look at top 2. Only the Montana was hit by torps.

if you are top with 80k damage, and there were three BBs in battle, it means you just steamrolled them. Because each BB has 130-150k HP, with heals. It usually happens when DDs mess up and die early. And it wasn't a DD in this match, who preserved his star.

Players
3,144 posts
17,777 battles
27 minutes ago, Perekotypole said:

if you are top with 80k damage, and there were three BBs in battle, it means you just steamrolled them. Because each BB has 130-150k HP, with heals. It usually happens when DDs mess up and die early. And it wasn't a DD in this match, who preserved his star.

You miss the point: Hardly any damage was applied using notoriously torpedoes.

Also, I bring you proof that DDs can finish top (both of ours did).

BBs were not allowed to withdraw and heal, because permaspot, and once they tried, I smoked up and burst them down. 

Daring is good at that...and it is very reliable damage.

[-SBF-]
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
738 posts
14,865 battles
15 hours ago, Perekotypole said:

I'm not sure, how somebody, who doesn't understand, that vast majority of players rank out by preserving stars, can give advices on how to rank out. 

This makes you literary king of the losers :cap_like:

• Boring 1

[UA-NF]
Players
478 posts
7,972 battles
Vor 34 Minuten, GulvkluderGuld sagte:

Also, I bring you proof that DDs can finish top (both of ours did).

and this one example proves what exactly? I get top place in gearing sometimes too... But in matches I played, DD was top in team that lost like one in twenty, or one in fifteen games... 

Players
632 posts
4,964 battles
21 hours ago, Reaper_JackGBR said:

No, Biasboat is because she's broken. Most CL's cannot do what she does, heck, most CA's can't either. 

Smolensk's main issue is that she simply doesn't take damage, she gets overpenned from all angles, citadels on her are pure luck. No other cruiser at the tier has this advantage. 

lolwut