Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aixin

London help?

60 comments in this topic

[PANEU]
Players
1,031 posts
3,661 battles

I can't make it work. Same goes for all rn navy heavy cruisers... 

Would like to get some advice. :) 

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,509 posts
8,957 battles

Stick with a a smoke-DD, (or a light RN cruiser) & division up with him. I get 70% winrate in Exeter doing that, and I'm not that good. 

Note the DD will like it too... a big friend that can give a hard BLAP to red cruisers and DDs.

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester
229 posts
54 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Stick with a a smoke-DD, (or a light RN cruiser) & division up with him. I get 70% winrate in Exeter doing that, and I'm not that good. [...]

The London can smoke herself up for 99 seconds as well as hydro for 180 seconds.

• Cool 4

[BBMM]
Players
6,509 posts
8,957 battles
4 minutes ago, Benaulim said:

The London can smoke herself up for 99 seconds as well as hydro for 180 seconds.

I know, that's why I'm grinding for it. The rest of it is similar to Exeter.

However London is a premium, and none of the rest can smoke AFAIK.

• Cool 1

Players
1,990 posts
19,725 battles

I only just got the London today so my advice is more based around the general British heavies but hope it helps. 

Try to keep the engagement at near your maximum effective range, go forward supporting your DDs if possible, and as soon as a target is spotted start to turn away whilst lining up your guns. Focus DDs or cruisers most of all as you can take some respectable chunks out of their health. I know it sounds obvious but have a escape route planned have an island you can duck behind or be able to run out into open water. They don't seem to like island hugging I found so keep moving.

I will try to add more specific ideas for London once I feel I know her better myself.

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester
229 posts
7 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

I know, that's why I'm grinding for it. The rest of it is similar to Exeter.

However London is a premium, and none of the rest can smoke AFAIK.

Nah, Exeter feels completely different. A tier lower she is agile, has got 1 km more range (on both, artillery and torps), considerably faster torpedo reload and seems to ignite more fires. I play her way more aggressive than the London. With the latter I would rather try to stay out of trouble (read: rather support than charge ahead), make best use of my smoke and save torpedoes for defense or ambushes. Her dilemma: She is going down fast once targetted while on the other hand not exactly a ranged sniper with 13.4 range.

• Cool 1

[GWR]
Players
531 posts
9,230 battles
1 hour ago, lovelacebeer said:

I only just got the London today so my advice is more based around the general British heavies but hope it helps. 

Try to keep the engagement at near your maximum effective range, go forward supporting your DDs if possible, and as soon as a target is spotted start to turn away whilst lining up your guns. Focus DDs or cruisers most of all as you can take some respectable chunks out of their health. I know it sounds obvious but have a escape route planned have an island you can duck behind or be able to run out into open water. They don't seem to like island hugging I found so keep moving.

I will try to add more specific ideas for London once I feel I know her better myself.

escape route is the most important especially in Tier 8 games, i try and use smoke with that in mind, my winrate is a disaster in her as i get used to her and well some of the teams right now make even contesting a game difficult, getting better damage consistency and those AP shells can really do some damage on broadsiding cruisers, i like the ship very much

• Cool 2

Players
166 posts
22,192 battles
28 minutes ago, illy said:

escape route is the most important especially in Tier 8 games, i try and use smoke with that in mind, my winrate is a disaster in her as i get used to her and well some of the teams right now make even contesting a game difficult, getting better damage consistency and those AP shells can really do some damage on broadsiding cruisers, i like the ship very much

This. Play it on the edge of your concealment in a kiting position. Disengage when things hairy. Smoke if you want to farm BBs and remember to pop your hydro. Your firing from smoke penalty is quite large so always be ready to move out and have your escape route ready witH hard cover if possible.

• Cool 2

[GWR]
Players
531 posts
9,230 battles
1 hour ago, The_Finnster said:

This. Play it on the edge of your concealment in a kiting position. Disengage when things hairy. Smoke if you want to farm BBs and remember to pop your hydro. Your firing from smoke penalty is quite large so always be ready to move out and have your escape route ready witH hard cover if possible.

had some decent games in her today....finally, i've gone for gun turret traverse speed over accuracy....great for kiting away and re engaging in a different position, got a nice 5 torp strike on a Lenin earlier, i think the ship is great fun

Players
2,106 posts
9,568 battles

I find her pathetic range to be the biggest problem. Not the only one but the one affecting any useful play-style the most.

Even when playing with the same tier you encounter this problem but when you are up-tiered (quite often, huh?) then you really struggle getting in range at all while you feel every single enemy ship can shoot you from positions you can't reach. You barely pass DDs range.

• Cool 3

[-TPF-]
Players
4,350 posts
18,216 battles
7 minutes ago, Palubarac said:

I find her pathetic range to be the biggest problem. Not the only one but the one affecting any useful play-style the most.

You'll be wanting an Algerie, then. 

I think the point here is that there are plenty of long range HE spammers available if you want them.... WG probably don't want to keep pumping out lines which pretty much do the same thing. 

Players
2,106 posts
9,568 battles
7 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

You'll be wanting an Algerie, then. 

I think the point here is that there are plenty of long range HE spammers available if you want them.... WG probably don't want to keep pumping out lines which pretty much do the same thing. 

I get that. But if you have so many long-range HE spammers... how a short-range cruiser can do against them? Very poorly IMHO.

Long-range is one thing. Having 13.4km and having to risk too much for little reward is another.

• Cool 7

[BBMM]
Players
6,509 posts
8,957 battles
30 minutes ago, Palubarac said:

I get that. But if you have so many long-range HE spammers... how a short-range cruiser can do against them? Very poorly IMHO.

Long-range is one thing. Having 13.4km and having to risk too much for little reward is another.

That short range is indeed a problem, the rest though is pretty good. 

I also have Flint, it has even shorter range at T7. Means you'll have to find ambush-occasions.

Or the spots where they all sail along and then go "surprise MF". 

[BBMM]
Players
6,509 posts
8,957 battles
8 minutes ago, cracktrackflak said:

Play Russian CAs/CLs instead.

Well yeah, they have the plane which gives insane range. 

But that's not exactly "how to play London" though, LOL. 

But I have no doubt this one will receive a buff sooner or later. 

Nobody will buy it otherwise, because it does need some "special treatment" in order to work.

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,350 posts
18,216 battles
39 minutes ago, Palubarac said:

They can do fine, if they have enough Oomph in their guns to dominate when the range is shorter. Devonshire certainly does.

London, I think, is best thought of as a scaled up Exeter (she shares many of her stats) and played accordingly. You want to try and keep your powder dry early on and wait until later in the game when the ranges have shortened - then you can be a surprisingly strong asset around caps and in brawls. 

Weekend Tester
859 posts
10,127 battles
34 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

They can do fine, if they have enough Oomph in their guns to dominate when the range is shorter. Devonshire certainly does.

London, I think, is best thought of as a scaled up Exeter (she shares many of her stats) and played accordingly. You want to try and keep your powder dry early on and wait until later in the game when the ranges have shortened - then you can be a surprisingly strong asset around caps and in brawls. 

The problem is that by waiting for the end-game, the London (and other RN CAs) are not fully contributing to the complete game. This can mean the game is lost because the team is weakened.

By contrast, for example, a Budyonny can start HE-spamming the enemy from the opening minutes of the game. Its range makes it effective the whole game - even when bottom tier. (IMHO even the AP is better than the RN CAs, due to trajectory, RoF and pen).

• Cool 4

Players
2,106 posts
9,568 battles

All that time that you keep the powder dry is the time wasted for your team and the time that the enemy team has an additional player in battle.

If you're useful only at the end of the battle (if your team manages to get there) then you're quite useless overall.

• Cool 2

[-TPF-]
Players
4,350 posts
18,216 battles
26 minutes ago, cracktrackflak said:

By contrast, for example, a Budyonny can start HE-spamming the enemy from the opening minutes of the game. Its range makes it effective the whole game - even when bottom tier. (IMHO even the AP is better than the RN CAs, due to trajectory, RoF and pen).

Play the Budyonny, then. As I mentioned, the point here is that WG aren't providing long-range HE spamming cruisers for every tier and nation. The London's strength is using its HE and smoke to pick at enemies, and wear them down, then it can close the range when appropriate and out gun them. The whole point of the RN CA line is to outlast equivalent cruisers and to be able to make decisive moves when needed. It's not a DOT ship.

[-TCP-]
Players
233 posts
6,781 battles

Got the London yesterday.

Only one battle in her but...I quite like it. Its not my normal play style to be that close to BB's but the smoke really helps. If we get a L6 ranked one day, I might consider using her.

Downside is  main battery, another 1k range would be nice and faster turret traverse.

Otherwise she's alright, good smoke, nice heal, hits hard with reasonable HE chance, quite accurate too. Took a 17k hit from a Petr at close range, shrugged it off. 

Hydro ok, another 1k for range would be icing on the cake.

Torps are ok too. 

Players
3,369 posts
20,483 battles

Max range spam HE. Problem solved. I know because I tried to have actual fun in it and engage at shorter ranges but it gets deleted by everything basically. There's max range spammers that are way more fun, and medium range cruiswers that are as flimsy but have an actual reload speed that helps to make it fun. Classed: Port queen boring. Next!

Players
1,148 posts
23,795 battles

I find London to be very strong and fun to play in contrast to the last "free" Italian cruiser that was bundled with the PR directives. The guns are punchy, it has heal, hydro, torpedoes and a long smoke. Nothing particularly strong, but also nothing is weak on this ship.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,350 posts
18,216 battles
10 minutes ago, viceadmiral123 said:

I find London to be very strong and fun to play in contrast to the last "free" Italian cruiser that was bundled with the PR directives. The guns are punchy, it has heal, hydro, torpedoes and a long smoke. Nothing particularly strong, but also nothing is weak on this ship.

I'm not that enamoured of it. Played a couple of games of Raptor Rescue and wished I'd brought something else. Huang He, maybe? Fewer guns but more accurate, better smoke.... I think overall there are many better cruisers at Tier VI and it's probably the joint-worst British designed cruiser in the game (hello Neptune). Although I haven't got to Surrey yet... I'm expecting that to fix the range issues with its spotter plane,  otherwise it could be a bit painful. 

[KRAKN]
[KRAKN]
Players
8 posts
16,335 battles

Hey guys good morning! I just finished directive 4 and got london but i dont have smoke generator. Is it only accesible if you buy it or something? Only the hydro can be replaced with AA all the other slots have only one consumable and there is a reload booster?!

any idea?

london.JPG

Sign in to follow this