You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ApothecaryTerry

Chat bans & support response

138 comments in this topic

Players
14 posts
6,587 battles

I've been chatbanned- yes there are loads of whining posts on the forums. It's fine, if I act like an idiot then I deserve it. Here's the thing though- as far as I'm aware I haven't acted like an idiot...and I'm willing to accept that I may have done in someone else's eyes, but if I don't know what constitutes behaviour which will result in a chatban then how can I behave appropriately in future? The rules are unsurprisingly not specific enough for me to work it out, they have to cover every situation so that makes sense.

All I can say is that I've not done anything that would offend me if someone else was doing it at any point. Sure I swear occasionally (there's a profanity filter...), but never insult other players directly, never try to bypass the filter and never abuse other players. I do talk a bit, and sure I'm blunt but saying "you need to go over there" is not insulting or abusing anyone.

I put a ticket in to try and find out what I did and here's the response:

Spoiler

Due to inappropriate behaviour in chat, a sanction has been applied to your World of Warships account.

We at Wargaming aim to provide our players with a pleasant and undisturbed game experience. Therefore, insults, personal attacks, abuse, or harassment are not tolerated on any level.

The sanction was applied by our semi-automated system that reviews the chat behaviour of every player in battle and actively searches for inappropriate wording in violation of the World of Warships Game Rules.

To ensure with absolute certainty that the system does not catch innocent players, it is under constant review and monitoring. It is due to this that the applied sanction cannot be cleared.

We will review your report in the next few days but please understand that no further answer from the Player Support Team will be given in reply to this ticket.

This is an automated answer. If this answer has not addressed your question, then please create a new ticket and ensure that you submit your question to the correct department.

This ticket will now be closed.

I've got to go 3 days without being able to talk to people in the game and, without knowing what caused it, I'll almost certainly do it again. Seems a stupid system to me. The response from support sucks too, makes me feel like scum and gives no indication how to improve. I work in IT support and if I ever give someone a response so unhelpful then I'm in trouble.

If there's going to be an automated chat banning system then there needs to be an automated "why did I get banned" system to go with it.

It's simple really, WG has done half a job. Not suggesting scrap the bans, although as it stands I feel like they're overly-sensitive. This is the internet, people will say mean things. Anything really offensive needs to be stopped,  but I haven't said anything on WoWS that I wouldn't say to my boss or family members.

Tried to make this more constructive than ranting because I got a ban, since I want to enjoy the game and if my actions are ruining that for others then I need to know what I can do about it other than simply not talk- it's an online game, that's a stupid idea. For the record I have 0 chatbans in 15 years of playing a lot of other online games.

• Cool 8

[CATS]
Players
28,806 posts
15,115 battles

Your feelings are not the benchmark.

Imagine beeing alone in a seedy bar. You know noone. Imagine speaking to the patrons without offending them.

Now do that here.

• Boring 2
  • Bad 5

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,147 posts
16,279 battles
6 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Imagine beeing alone in a seedy bar. You know noone. Imagine speaking to the patrons without offending them.

Now do that here.

And now imagine there is a bunch of Chads who dont like the shoes you wear and report you to the bouncer who throws you out even tho you didnt say anything wrong.

Welcome to WG chatbann world.

• Cool 13
  • Funny 2

Players
14 posts
6,587 battles

I agree my feeling aren't the benchmark- that's why I want to know what standard I should adhere to. My issue is not that I got a chatban, it's that I can't find out what the standard is meant to be (other than silence, see above comments).

To clarify, the inherent ambiguity is why I said the only sensible solution is that if they can automate the bans, they can also automate messages explaining the exact cause. I suspect they haven't because people would dispute bans, whereas now I just have to assume I insulted someone's mother and forgot (obviously I definitely didn't do that).

• Cool 2

[MORIA]
Players
7,784 posts
39,215 battles
11 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Now do that here.

But you should be exactly informed by email why you were banned. That's not hard to do, automated emails aren't a new invention. WG laziness is pitiful. 

• Cool 12

[COMFY]
Players
257 posts
2,750 battles
44 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Now do that here.

I got quite used to your nonesens, but now you really are not even trying to hide it anymore.

Its really not hard to inform a banned person with a reason or quote for what they got banned for.

Especially not when they state that their bot : "actively searches for inappropriate wording in violation of the World of Warships Game Rules"

They went through the effort and made an automated message for every message thats being sent to them regarding this topic and are too lazy to include what their *totally not malfunctioning* algorythm detects as a breach of conduct ?

Nothing personal but dont post when you have no reason to, it gives the strong impression that you only do so to pump that already laughable number even higher.

• Cool 11

Players
3,144 posts
17,768 battles

I got banned for discussing tactics in a Ranked battle with another players, also for no apparent reason. Since I already had a ban (my first and only in 4 years) end, i were being quite careful and no profanity was used unless stating that a "BB was afk" is a profanty in russia. 

Sent in the replay and everything and asked for a reason, but got the same uninformative response.

Clearly the algorithm is funtioning properly and if it isn't broken, you should definitely not try to fix it.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
14 posts
6,587 battles

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it is broke, hide the evidence and blame someone else!

As mentioned above, I work in IT...if WG are struggling to program the automated message to inform users what caused the ban I charge reasonable hourly rates (plus ad hoc beer/cookies).

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
2,106 posts
9,568 battles

The chat banning system is terrible.

It has always been and still is.

I've been chat banned many times and I'm currently chat banned. I don't know why, as everyone else that gets chat banned for "rule violation".

WG doesn't even have the definition of those 'violations' to begin with. What constitutes "harassment" in the chat? What about "abuse"? Or "bypassing the censor filter"? Which word are 'censored' so we're not supposed to use?

:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,784 posts
39,215 battles
2 hours ago, Flock_Undead said:

I got quite used to your nonesens, but now you really are not even trying to hide it anymore.

Its really not hard to inform a banned person with a reason or quote for what they got banned for.

Especially not when they state that their bot : "actively searches for inappropriate wording in violation of the World of Warships Game Rules"

They went through the effort and made an automated message for every message thats being sent to them regarding this topic and are too lazy to include what their *totally not malfunctioning* algorythm detects as a breach of conduct ?

Nothing personal but dont post when you have no reason to, it gives the strong impression that you only do so to pump that already laughable number even higher.

Well this is not his own problem so he doesn't care. Some people have no empathy and can't put themselves in some situations and think about it. Selfishness and arrogance - what to do.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
28,806 posts
15,115 battles
6 hours ago, Corvi said:

And now imagine there is a bunch of Chads who dont like the shoes you wear and report you to the bouncer who throws you out even tho you didnt say anything wrong.

Welcome to WG chatbann world.

Never happened to me.

And please imagine that the "chads" must be many and do not know each other...

• Boring 2

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,269 posts
11,606 battles
8 hours ago, ApothecaryTerry said:

I've been chatbanned- yes there are loads of whining posts on the forums. It's fine, if I act like an idiot then I deserve it. Here's the thing though- as far as I'm aware I haven't acted like an idiot...and I'm willing to accept that I may have done in someone else's eyes, but if I don't know what constitutes behaviour which will result in a chatban then how can I behave appropriately in future? The rules are unsurprisingly not specific enough for me to work it out, they have to cover every situation so that makes sense.

All I can say is that I've not done anything that would offend me if someone else was doing it at any point. Sure I swear occasionally (there's a profanity filter...), but never insult other players directly, never try to bypass the filter and never abuse other players. I do talk a bit, and sure I'm blunt but saying "you need to go over there" is not insulting or abusing anyone.

I put a ticket in to try and find out what I did and here's the response:

Reveal hidden contents

Due to inappropriate behaviour in chat, a sanction has been applied to your World of Warships account.

We at Wargaming aim to provide our players with a pleasant and undisturbed game experience. Therefore, insults, personal attacks, abuse, or harassment are not tolerated on any level.

The sanction was applied by our semi-automated system that reviews the chat behaviour of every player in battle and actively searches for inappropriate wording in violation of the World of Warships Game Rules.

To ensure with absolute certainty that the system does not catch innocent players, it is under constant review and monitoring. It is due to this that the applied sanction cannot be cleared.

We will review your report in the next few days but please understand that no further answer from the Player Support Team will be given in reply to this ticket.

This is an automated answer. If this answer has not addressed your question, then please create a new ticket and ensure that you submit your question to the correct department.

I've got to go 3 days without being able to talk to people in the game and, without knowing what caused it, I'll almost certainly do it again. Seems a stupid system to me. The response from support sucks too, makes me feel like scum and gives no indication how to improve. I work in IT support and if I ever give someone a response so unhelpful then I'm in trouble.

If there's going to be an automated chat banning system then there needs to be an automated "why did I get banned" system to go with it.

It's simple really, WG has done half a job. Not suggesting scrap the bans, although as it stands I feel like they're overly-sensitive. This is the internet, people will say mean things. Anything really offensive needs to be stopped,  but I haven't said anything on WoWS that I wouldn't say to my boss or family members.

Tried to make this more constructive than ranting because I got a ban, since I want to enjoy the game and if my actions are ruining that for others then I need to know what I can do about it other than simply not talk- it's an online game, that's a stupid idea. For the record I have 0 chatbans in 15 years of playing a lot of other online games.

Hello OP,

Thank you for being different than other Chat Ban topics.

I understand that you wanted to know what caused your chat ban,

Let me tag @MrConway who usually show up and help in these kind of situations.

Hold on to the line please while I reach my supervisor. :D

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[JRM]
Players
7,193 posts
3 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Never happened to me.

There are divs in this game so often 2 or 3 of the "chads" not only know each other but speak with the same voice

[CATS]
Players
28,806 posts
15,115 battles
15 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

There are divs in this game so often 2 or 3 of the "chads" not only know each other but speak with the same voice

And that is not enough...

• Bad 1

[PIKES]
Players
499 posts
11,034 battles
10 hours ago, ApothecaryTerry said:

I've been chatbanned- yes there are loads of whining posts on the forums. It's fine, if I act like an idiot then I deserve it. Here's the thing though- as far as I'm aware I haven't acted like an idiot...and I'm willing to accept that I may have done in someone else's eyes, but if I don't know what constitutes behaviour which will result in a chatban then how can I behave appropriately in future?

Reveal hidden contents

Dear friend, beyond what happened or not your nice written text, expressing your concerns deserves a premium account . :cap_like:

Your future looks fine, surely you will handle this playing with other mates.

[JRM]
Players
7,193 posts
24 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

And that is not enough...

Enough for what? Multi day chatban? Ofc it isnt, but also makes the methaphore moot as "beeing offended by something" and "beeing abusive" allow for a broad interpretation, ie if a sniping usless BB that doesnt do :etc_swear: to support his team "takes offence" or "feels abused" for beeing pinged and called out for his dumb "tactic" he is within his rights but if I feel "abused" by having my match ruined by him its irrelevant as he is free to potato all he wants...

And yes I do know none forces me to play randoms/ranked however none forces him either

• Cool 3

[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,315 posts

Enough for what? Multi day chatban? Ofc it isnt, but also makes the methaphore moot as "beeing offended by something" and "beeing abusive" allow for a broad interpretation, ie if a sniping usless BB that doesnt do :etc_swear: to support his team "takes offence" or "feels abused" for beeing pinged and called out for his dumb "tactic" he is within his rights but if I feel "abused" by having my match ruined by him its irrelevant as he is free to potato all he wants...

If you feel abused, feel free to report him for unsporting behaviour.

• Funny 2

[CATS]
Players
28,806 posts
15,115 battles

And yes I do know none forces me to play randoms/ranked however none forces him either

Everyone has the right to feel offended. But nothing happens.

When enough people feel offended, there is usually a valid reason.

• Boring 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,784 posts
39,215 battles
4 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Never happened to me.

People like @Saiyko can report you for saying glhf or gg. So go figure...

[CATS]
Players
28,806 posts
15,115 battles
Just now, MacArthur92 said:

People like @Saiyko can report you for saying glhf or gg. So go figure...

And? Nothing happens.

• Boring 1

[NAADW]
Players
60 posts
9,999 battles
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

And? Nothing happens.

Nope, you get chatban because of automated system - but than if you send a ticket that you get "unban"

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,784 posts
39,215 battles
Just now, ColonelPete said:

And? Nothing happens.

You think so. If you get in that day more and more people reporting you for nonsense - you’ll eventually get a charban. But this doesn’t refer to you cause you are here in forum 70% of the day unlike me who plays 20 battles daily. Tbh I play less cv now and I get less charbans even though I’m not silent in chat and I didn’t change my way of talking. Hmmm.... yeah.

• Cool 2

[MORIA]
Players
7,784 posts
39,215 battles
Just now, Castiel2110 said:

Nope, you get chatban because of automated system - but than if you send a ticket that you get "unban"

He is not playing enough daily to feel it. See his posts number on forum vs his battle number. He’s here on forum daily more time than I’m playing. So he doesn’t understand. Nothing happens when you play 5 battles daily. 

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
28,806 posts
15,115 battles
1 minute ago, Castiel2110 said:

No, you do not. 

1 minute ago, MacArthur92 said:

You think so. If you get in that day more and more people reporting you for nonsense - you’ll eventually get a charban. But this doesn’t refer to you cause you are here in forum 70% of the day unlike me who plays 20 battles daily. Tbh I play less cv now and I get less charbans even though I’m not silent in chat and I didn’t change my way of talking. Hmmm.... yeah.

Maybe you should consider your behaviour when you tick off that many people per day.

And no, I do not have time for 20 battles/day.

• Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,784 posts
39,215 battles
8 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

No, you do not. 

Maybe you should consider your behaviour when you tick off that many people per day.

And no, I do not have time for 20 battles/day.

But you have to be here on forum 6 hours a day in total. Lol.

I’m not naming people. I’m not calling them stupid. No. I’m more of making fun of them, like “oh you don’t know how to use WASD” when a BB gets into torps. You see, if you’re on DD maybe someone will report you. But if you are a cv and you make fun like that... hmm. Yeah. 

Im just commenting and loling on crybabies that begin to cry in chat. Yesterday one Scharnhorst guy was crying about MM against T9 and I was loling on him and he got triggered “little pussy on Flint” and I think he gave me a report on chat. I bet if I was on cv more people in his team would give me reports.

Take Smolensk and try do this. 

• Funny 1