You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
nambr9

AFK players in RANKED

27 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Players
4,615 posts

Since I am not much of a ranked player I don't know all the rules behind this mode.

Yesterday I've had multiple games with AFK players in our team. Mostly one, on few occasions two.

They were AFK from the start to the end. Couple of those games we had to work really really hard for a victory.

Now I wonder if this players get awarded with a star in case the team wins. I was told they are by several people on discord and twitch.

Logical (and fair) would be that they do not get a star, since they contributed nothing and kinda screwed the team.

I know disconnects can happen, so I am not proposing a punishment ... but rewarding them? Really?

regards, no9

• Cool 10

[JRM]
Players
7,244 posts
27,034 battles

Well they do get a star, as for AFK there are some mammas speshul boys around that would make their teams a favor by remaining AFK

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[BAD-F]
Beta Tester
735 posts
12,974 battles

But being AFK should not give you any XP or silver, that is the punishment.

I have no idea if it actually works in ranked.

In theory if you AFK too much you will be limited to Co-Op but never heard about it happening.

Players
2,106 posts
9,568 battles

All of the above is true.

1. AFK players do get a star as their team did win, even with one player less in battle

2. They get no XP/silver/any other rewards as they did not contribute to the battle

3. They get "punished" by the system. After the first AFK match, they become pink but still able to play Ranked/Random. If repeated, they are restricted to co-op for a certain amount of battles in which they cannot be AFK or TK in order to be able to play Random/Ranked again.

[PONYS]
Players
5,066 posts
18,706 battles
Vor 33 Minuten, Sir_Grzegorz sagte:

But being AFK should not give you any XP or silver, that is the punishment.

I have no idea if it actually works in ranked.

In theory if you AFK too much you will be limited to Co-Op but never heard about it happening.

It actually happens relatively fast.

You're becoming orange after about 3 AFK games within a specific period of time.

It might happen earlier, in case you're "already on the list"

[OGHF]
Players
1,246 posts
22,778 battles

Welcome to the “Weekend Specials” :etc_swear: those that don’t give a damn about the team/players they ruin the game for.

• Cool 1

[PIKES]
Players
499 posts
11,158 battles
17 minutes ago, Palubarac said:

All of the above is true.

2. They get no XP/silver/any other rewards as they did not contribute to the battle

I am not sure in this second point. Playing in co-ops, where I play most (sorry I don't show my stats, but i confirm I am a mediocre player), there are cases the AFK is handy where placed near our base  If it were handy and a couple's of bots are behind you, playing my DD i found then useful as tanking damage .  Circling arround, smoking, while the AFK is erased. They secondaries also could work. In this case the afk player do receive some potential damage and perhaps some XP for doing nothing.:Smile_glasses:

• Cool 1

Players
2,106 posts
9,568 battles
1 hour ago, neorvo said:

I am not sure in this second point. Playing in co-ops, where I play most (sorry I don't show my stats, but i confirm I am a mediocre player), there are cases the AFK is handy where placed near our base  If it were handy and a couple's of bots are behind you, playing my DD i found then useful as tanking damage .  Circling arround, smoking, while the AFK is erased. They secondaries also could work. In this case the afk player do receive some potential damage and perhaps some XP for doing nothing.:Smile_glasses:

Well, yeah. It depends.

If your team is half-competent... the bots will never get into the secondary range of an AFK player. Additionally, if you have manual secondaries it's even less likely that you'll do any DMG.

I'm not sure about the details though. I think that even if you take some potential DMG but do none and don't move at all... still count as 'AFK' and get pink.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,053 posts
12,327 battles
6 hours ago, nambr9 said:

Since I am not much of a ranked player I don't know all the rules behind this mode.

Yesterday I've had multiple games with AFK players in our team. Mostly one, on few occasions two.

They were AFK from the start to the end. Couple of those games we had to work really really hard for a victory.

Now I wonder if this players get awarded with a star in case the team wins. I was told they are by several people on discord and twitch.

Logical (and fair) would be that they do not get a star, since they contributed nothing and kinda screwed the team.

I know disconnects can happen, so I am not proposing a punishment ... but rewarding them? Really?

regards, no9

Im not sure what this case might be, but I played a lot of ranked this weekend (or atleast tried ....) and I had some serious problems connecting to the games. Usually I was spending the first 3-4-5 minutes of the game in the lobby just watching. I finally realized that spamming both enter-keys and Delete-key a lot helped getting me in?!?!?

I was also missing the "tracks" after the torpedoes ingame, I just saw the colored dots zooming around?

Maybe it was something serverside? You usually dont gain anything going afk deliberativ in Ranked, only Purple status.

• Cool 2

Players
3,031 posts
2 hours ago, neorvo said:

When people start developing strategies to envelop the afk players and make use of them, you know they are a real problem haha :)

• Cool 1

[COMA]
Players
230 posts
13,539 battles

Those should have been deducted 2500 XP off their accounts for being AFK: randoms or ranked.

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
6,404 posts
2,117 battles
9 hours ago, nambr9 said:

regards, no9

Especially in cases where you keep seeing the same people being afk over and over again, don't hesitate to send us a ticket with replays of said battles and the name of the player.

Also: if a player is afk for several battles, he will be restricted to play in co-op battles. So you won't be able to leech many stars by just spamming battles.

Edited by Sehales
  • Cool 3

[CAIN]
Players
4,835 posts
20,122 battles
29 minutes ago, Sehales said:

Especially in cases where you keep seeing the same people being afk over and over again, don't hesitate to send us a ticket with replays of said battles and the name of the player.

Also: if a player is afk for several battles, he will be restricted to play in co-op battles. So you won't be able to leech many stars by just spamming battles.

What about folks who deliberately yolo at the start of a ranked game? 

I've visited a friend recently, and convinced her, to try out ranked. 

She was playing and i was providing ...strategic/ tactical advice...i noticed a Daring player, yolo-ing in, shooting a couple of times at enemy DDs and then getting killed. 

A couple of games later, i saw the same Daring player on the enemy team doing the same thing. 

Now, in the few ranked games i played sofar this season, i haven't seen anything that i could describe as 'deliberately yolo-ing', but that the season basically started just now. 

And yolo-ing in and either, hoping the team wins anyway, or hoping the team loses, is toxic and griefing (in my book anyway). 

It's hard enough to win games in ranked where everybody is doing his utter best to keep his star, even without such individuals.

Reporting him will do what exactly? Do i open a support ticket if i meet that guy in my next games (or someone else who does that for that matter) if i notice this kind of behaviour? 

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
4,615 posts
1 hour ago, Sehales said:

Well ... long term it would be fair for all, that if a player is AFK the entire game he should be deprived of a star.

It's not a punishment .... so people who get disconnected do not get thrown into the same trash can .... but a logical result.

If you are AFK (0 bxp) you should not get a star. Period. That would be also in the WG's interest, as it would be 100% automated.

55 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Now this one will be harder to sanction (but not entirely impossible) ... plus when people would realize that being AFK does not get them a star I see them doing this instead.

So you have a point here !

• Cool 1

Players
7,811 posts
39,434 battles
1 hour ago, Jethro_Grey said:

I've visited a friend recently, and convinced her, to try out ranked. 

She was playing and i was providing ...strategic/ tactical advice...i noticed a Daring player, yolo-ing in, shooting a couple of times at enemy DDs and then getting killed. 

A couple of games later, i saw the same Daring player on the enemy team doing the same thing. 

Now, in the few ranked games i played sofar this season, i haven't seen anything that i could describe as 'deliberately yolo-ing', but that the season basically started just now. 

And yolo-ing in and either, hoping the team wins anyway, or hoping the team loses, is toxic and griefing (in my book anyway). 

It's hard enough to win games in ranked where everybody is doing his utter best to keep his star, even without such individuals.

Reporting him will do what exactly? Do i open a support ticket if i meet that guy in my next games (or someone else who does that for that matter) if i notice this kind of behaviour? 

Well sometimes it's hard to say is he was deliberate yolo just to go into another round or "too aggressive play". That's why banning people like this is not an easy thing. Maybe if you die in the first 3 minutes of the game about 3 times you'll get blocked from ranked for free battles in coop. In some way can be lead to a very price play in the first minutes. Idk. 

[JRM]
Players
7,244 posts
27,034 battles
1 hour ago, Europizza said:

I dont think the matches would be very different if half the teams were AFK :cap_popcorn:

Oh yes they would, like half of them would last helluva longer

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[PIKES]
Players
499 posts
11,158 battles
6 hours ago, Todeskult said:

Those should have been deducted 2500 XP off their accounts for being AFK: randoms or ranked.

:cap_cool: When I read you message I was  thinking charging 2500 doobloons and share it with the team mates. :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[PIKES]
Players
499 posts
11,158 battles
2 hours ago, Europizza said:

I dont think the matches would be very different if half the teams were AFK :cap_popcorn:

:cap_cool:Oh you gave me an Idea , what is the MM chooses aleatory/random one player or two players of each team and force it AFK during 5 min, then other two and so on. Then, everyone share that option. Of course, CV always on, spotting everything keeping the balance and a little buff minus 4 min for camrade players :cap_book:

[NWP]
Players
1,407 posts
11,666 battles

Dear @Sehales

As I have lost faith in the ticket system and have more faith in Community Managers (also Clan consensus - trust the Community Managers not the system), I ll just post it here. One shot, two birds. At least we can have fun venting if nothing else happens.

Replay available upon request - WG staff only - we don't want to name and shame the nameless and shameless, do we now?

Nameless as in hidden profile,  shameless you can be the judge of it.

My take: A griefer.

Why should I bother? Well I don't really. WG should however.  Same as gluesniffers. They are just one more nuisance like loud exhaust pipes when you try to sleep. Don't try to understand why they do what they are doing. Just turn side and you're done with it. Nevertheless, I do like the game and I would really dislike the game to be populated by clods, dolts and numskulls as that might just show me the door.

Anyway, we won, I played a good game and maybe that specimen did not get killed game start and gave no points to the red team. Not to mention the specimen did not take any of our damage (hence credits and XP). The question here is not if that thing that pretends to play the game did any harm. The question is if we need things like that in our game. Speaking for my self, as a paying customer, I say please get rid of them.

The story of a Stinkard in four snap shots.

1440475371_REP1.thumb.png.1af0171ac21b771549d719bf889407e9.png

1713474631_REP2.thumb.png.c0f9fcaabe4ede80ab6b7f246cdb13d0.png

357781507_REP3.thumb.png.3462d067db6b28e965506ef6f5843b74.png

187702789_REP4.thumb.png.50a10eb90ec3305f52d55486403d3e9c.png

• Cool 3

[OCTO]
Players
72 posts
4,953 battles

Welcome to ranked, where you get even more rewarded than randoms for being AFK and face laughably minor punishment.  Do 1 damage THEN go AFK or have a bot program to spam F-keys like they do and it seems foolproof.  

Weekend Tester
1,365 posts
35,356 battles
11 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

There is a cv player that just does this in randumb battles. I started noticing him about 6 months ago, and after seeing him suiciding in 3 battles in one night within the first 5 minutes every single damn time, I wrote a ticket with replays and very detailed screenshots, e.g. a collage of his driving path, heck, even a screenshot where he admitted in chat that he is doing it on purpose because of his sh***y team (remember, he is killing himself by going to the center of the map within 5 minutes and less). Support didn't care, I was watching him still doing it in multiple streams in the following weeks. I started a discussion on the forums (without naming and shaming), but a mod quickly shut the thread down, because clearly, such a discussion and consequences is not in Wargaming's interest. Fast forward to today: just a couple of hours ago, in a stream. That very same player in a Shokaku, dead in 5 minutes, in the center of the map.

Do you really expect WG to care what such players do in ranked? I wouldn't bet a single cent on it.

P.S.: Say his name out loud? Forum ban. For you. Call him an 'idiot' ingame? Probably 2 weeks chat ban.

[THESO]
Players
4,615 posts

4 stars per rank (where not each rank is irrevocable) + players like that = one big bowl of frustration.

And what do normal people do with a frustrating game? 

They play less and less, until in the end they don't play at all.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,099 posts
12,188 battles
On 3/2/2020 at 4:55 PM, Sehales said:

The problem is this:

• You seldom see the same people afk......though you will see different people so do we send lots of once-off tickets - the guy may have DC'd.
  • The overhead of saving replays is a rather excessive expectation of players who simply want to go in and have a little fun - I don't go into a game at the ready to police bad behaviour so other than random screenshots there's little I am prepared for.
  • I was in a game where a rather popular twitch streamer was messing around lightheartedly and threw a game in a challenge by his viewers.... the stream came at my (and others) expense, personally denying me the opportunity to capitalise on some of those rather rare signal flags which I don't have many of AND which I had spent 1000 dubloons on to get from a random container to farm free xp. I asked him why he did it, he explained it was just a challenge. What do I do about this? Nothing of course and I'll not get my signals back either.

The issue at hand is WG need to rethink their rather wincentric formula that punishes those who play better on a team with  [edited] who can't be bothered to realise they're in a team-based game where rewards are based on wins. This is your formula and your sandbox, we're playing by rules set by you which punishes good play with lost stars in ranked and losses in randoms (and not even mentioning the lucky farmers who keep their star in ranked - so much of this is not about good play). Losers on the winning team score higher and retain their star even when grossly underperforming compared to some guys on the losing team. Remove this nonsense and you'll see a lot of frustration slip away.

Sorry, long but I had things to say, lol.

Edited by Sehales

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
6,404 posts
2,117 battles
On 3/3/2020 at 10:34 AM, Shaka_D said:

The problem is this:

• You seldom see the same people afk......though you will see different people so do we send lots of once-off tickets - the guy may have DC'd.

True, but if you see a player just going for the map border right away, or they even say in the chat that they will be afk because of XYZ, feel free to report it. We can check if it is a one-off thing or more common.

• The overhead of saving replays is a rather excessive expectation of players who simply want to go in and have a little fun - I don't go into a game at the ready to police bad behaviour so other than random screenshots there's little I am prepared for.

The last 30 replays are automatically being saved. But if you don't want to do that, no need to do so. There are enough players willing to do so and I am afraid there is currently no workaround, but we are working on a more simply system for such cases.

• I was in a game where a rather popular twitch streamer was messing around lightheartedly and threw a game in a challenge by his viewers.... the stream came at my (and others) expense, personally denying me the opportunity to capitalise on some of those rather rare signal flags which I don't have many of AND which I had spent 1000 dubloons on to get from a random container to farm free xp. I asked him why he did it, he explained it was just a challenge. What do I do about this? Nothing of course and I'll not get my signals back either.

Feel free to report such cases via private message to a member of the community team on the forums (see the staff section for PoCs). Especially if it is a Community Contributor, we will deal with the matter and it may lead to sanctions for a streamer's account just like it can for any other player, if they violated the game rules.

The issue at hand is WG need to rethink their rather wincentric formula that punishes those who play better on a team with [edited] who can't be bothered to realise they're in a team-based game where rewards are based on wins. This is your formula and your sandbox, we're playing by rules set by you which punishes good play with lost stars in ranked and losses in randoms (and not even mentioning the lucky farmers who keep their star in ranked - so much of this is not about good play). Losers on the winning team score higher and retain their star even when grossly underperforming compared to some guys on the losing team. Remove this nonsense and you'll see a lot of frustration slip away.

Sorry, long but I had things to say, lol.

All good, that's what we got a forum for, to share opinions and thoughts. I am not going to get into the topic of rewards and why we didn't change formulas for income, etc... That topic has been discussed so many times already and is only partly related. I am gonna overlook your insult this time as well, but please mind your language, if you want to have a normal conversation.

Edited by Sehales