Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Goktsu

Steel vs coal

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
163 posts

I just checked some stuff in regards to steel and coal.

Seem coal and steel are primarily used to acquire ships. 

But why is steel harder to get than coal? Most ship are sold in exchange for coal and only a few sold in exchange for steel. What else could make it that steel is more valuable than coal in this game?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BAD-F]
Beta Tester
733 posts
12,924 battles

It is so to make initiative for people to participate in ranked and clan battles.

 

Additionally steel ships tend to be a bit on the OP scale and the ones that had been not that OP will be available for coal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,121 posts
12,795 battles
6 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

It is so to make initiative for people to participate in ranked and clan battles.

 

Additionally steel ships tend to be a bit on the OP scale and the ones that had been not that OP will be available for coal.

Well thats actually only true for Flint and Stalingrad imo.

Neutrashimy is not OP, Black is good due to radar but not OP, somers is a shima-gearing middle ground but not OP, Bourgogne isnt nearly as tanky as any other tier X BB. 

Steel ships tend to be more specialised though.

But indeed the primary idea is to reward CB and ranked in a different way than day to day gameplay

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
163 posts
9 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

Well thats actually only true for Flint and Stalingrad imo.

Neutrashimy is not OP, Black is good due to radar but not OP, somers is a shima-gearing middle ground but not OP, Bourgogne isnt nearly as tanky as any other tier X BB. 

Steel ships tend to be more specialised though.

But indeed the primary idea is to reward CB and ranked in a different way than day to day gameplay

Indeed i see only minor difference in steel required ships such as unique permanent  camouflage  with economic and xp bonuses +  cheaper repair  apart from that nothing else that i could say is advantageous than other ships. I can only assume they require steel due to those 2 things i just mentioned.

I wanted a good reason to save steel but the steel required ships are not that particularly spectacular. Perhaps keep the steel for the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles
57 minutes ago, Goktsu said:

Indeed i see only minor difference in steel required ships such as unique permanent  camouflage  with economic and xp bonuses +  cheaper repair  apart from that nothing else that i could say is advantageous than other ships. I can only assume they require steel due to those 2 things i just mentioned.

I wanted a good reason to save steel but the steel required ships are not that particularly spectacular. Perhaps keep the steel for the future.

 

You get the same permacamo bonuses on coal and fxp ships, as well.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,121 posts
12,795 battles
1 hour ago, Goktsu said:

Indeed i see only minor difference in steel required ships such as unique permanent  camouflage  with economic and xp bonuses +  cheaper repair  apart from that nothing else that i could say is advantageous than other ships. I can only assume they require steel due to those 2 things i just mentioned.

I wanted a good reason to save steel but the steel required ships are not that particularly spectacular. Perhaps keep the steel for the future.

Well, i got myself the Flint and Stalingrad so far and i can tell you- those are quite special. 
Flint will however be withdrawn and will eventually become available for coal. 

But Stalingrad is a special ship if you like battlecruisers really. Not per se easy to play, but its a one of a kind ship nonetheless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
[THESO]
Moderator
4,263 posts
11,604 battles

It is just another currency, which is mostly obtainable from competitive modes.

It is a way to push players into those competitive modes.

 

On the other hand, they tend to put a little stronger ships under the steal.

Like Stalingrad, bourgogne, black... etc.. Yes there are very average ships under steel but the point is, steel ships are mostly unique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
181 posts
7,693 battles
5 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

It is just another currency, which is mostly obtainable from competitive modes.

It is a way to push players into those competitive modes.

 

On the other hand, they tend to put a little stronger ships under the steal.

Like Stalingrad, bourgogne, black... etc.. Yes there are very average ships under steel but the point is, steel ships are mostly unique.

I think the only exception we can use to this rule if slightly stronger steel ship is the Smolensk, but that was probably an oversight.

 

I noticed that the Steel ships are ones that tend to have a gimmick...

Black: Radar

Boug: Reload Booster

Flint: Smoke...etc

 

Stalingrad is the exception to this but it is significantly better than the other battle cruisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,259 posts
12,019 battles
7 minutes ago, ReapingKnight said:

I think the only exception we can use to this rule if slightly stronger steel ship is the Smolensk, but that was probably an oversight

On other hand, if Smolensk were to be for steel and Colbert for coal, you would double the whine about Smolensk, also all the noises of "you can't CB without steelbias ships" etc.

 

But then, given WG expertise in perforating one's foot with firearm in regular intervals, makes one wonder how exactly WG came to conclusion of another smoke equipped, decent ballistics CL with (theoretically) remarkable firestarting capabilities would be good for the game:cap_book:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[F_M_B]
Beta Tester
1,053 posts
6,283 battles

The question is, why ships switch from steel to coal?

 

Flint, Black and Neutrashimy will be removed from "steel shop" and will come back as coal ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAFT]
Players
11,663 posts
9,721 battles
4 minutes ago, Spartan_93 said:

The question is, why ships switch from steel to coal?

 

So all Steel ships are TX only? I think that might be a reason...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles
3 minutes ago, Spartan_93 said:

The question is, why ships switch from steel to coal?

 

Flint, Black and Neutrashimy will be removed from "steel shop" and will come back as coal ships.

 

Because nobody's buying them for steel. Not very popular. Neus has it's niche audience but it's overall a very rare sight as most people can't grind steel very fast, and don't really want to spend it on this ship. Flint's been power crept over the years, and with recent MM changes also exists in a tier that's uptiered +2 all the time. Black is still strong, but most people can't DD to save their life, especially in the current CV-infested meta. Radar on DD's will become a bit less special soon as well, so there's power creep too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PACOS]
Weekend Tester
656 posts
6,004 battles

Now that we are talking about this, I'm saving coal for getting the Jean Bart before she is removed from store. I have like 5000 steel that I'm slowly hoarding for getting the Black, but since it is going to be available for coal anyone, is the JB worth spending some steel for coal in case I don't get the 50k I need to get the JB before it is removed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
105 posts
2,142 battles
45 minutes ago, Eviscerador said:

Now that we are talking about this, I'm saving coal for getting the Jean Bart before she is removed from store. I have like 5000 steel that I'm slowly hoarding for getting the Black, but since it is going to be available for coal anyone, is the JB worth spending some steel for coal in case I don't get the 50k I need to get the JB before it is removed?

Well I plan to use steel if I lack coal. Is a tier 9 PREMIUM ship that is really good at earning credits worth it? Yes like hell it is, at least to me.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
2 hours ago, Spartan_93 said:

The question is, why ships switch from steel to coal?

 

Flint, Black and Neutrashimy will be removed from "steel shop" and will come back as coal ships.

Flint & Black: Strong, but Flint has been powercrept and Black is a greater thing in competitive than randoms. T9 competitive is rare though and most people rather save up for Stalingrad and Bourgogne.

Neustrashimy: Price tag is the greatest joke ever.

 

These ships basically are no longer appealing or popular choices unless you have already all the other steel ships, and most people don't want to grind or cannot grind that much steel. Those who can mostly have these ships from when they were regular awards. As coal ships, they are still competing with choices like Georgia, Thunderer, Salem, Yoshino and god knows what else we'll get till then, but at least it'll be open to more casual grinders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles
1 hour ago, Eviscerador said:

Now that we are talking about this, I'm saving coal for getting the Jean Bart before she is removed from store. I have like 5000 steel that I'm slowly hoarding for getting the Black, but since it is going to be available for coal anyone, is the JB worth spending some steel for coal in case I don't get the 50k I need to get the JB before it is removed?

 

I would wait until the last moment, until you are sure you won't be able to grind the coal in time. The answer, however, is yes - she is worth it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PACOS]
Weekend Tester
656 posts
6,004 battles
2 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

 

I would wait until the last moment, until you are sure you won't be able to grind the coal in time. The answer, however, is yes - she is worth it.

Thanks, yeah that was my plan. Keep farming coal till the day before she gets removed. I could already get her now, but I prefer to save the steel if I can.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[D_RO]
Beta Tester
45 posts
7,167 battles

Don't waste your steel on coal, regardless of the ship you might miss. You can get JB in the premium store - not  cheap, but still you can get it that way. Or look for premium containers that might get you coal.

 

For steel ships you can only use steel, and finding yourself short of just 100 steel to get one of them can be annoying af (been there). You only get steel from CB's, Rank and with Christmas flakes - if they will be any this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PACOS]
Weekend Tester
656 posts
6,004 battles
17 hours ago, xciuly said:

Don't waste your steel on coal, regardless of the ship you might miss. You can get JB in the premium store - not  cheap, but still you can get it that way. Or look for premium containers that might get you coal.

 

For steel ships you can only use steel, and finding yourself short of just 100 steel to get one of them can be annoying af (been there). You only get steel from CB's, Rank and with Christmas flakes - if they will be any this year.

 

I like this game, but I don't like it so much to spend 64 € on a pixel ship. 14€ for a Kidd with an out of the blue discount? yeah sure, sign me in. 64 € on the other hand...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×