You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_Dunc_

British Premiums Reviewed - the bias is real

62 comments in this topic

Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

And not a word was lied here... Painfully accurate, and equally hilarious. I can testify for the majority of the ships mentioned here (see signature).

• Cool 10

[-TPF-]
Players
4,347 posts
18,216 battles

And to follow:

HMS Tiger

Most new modern and handsome battlecruiser in the fleet. Therefore it had to be given a crew of convicts and ne'er do wells and be made part of the battlecruiser squadron commanded by a buffoon who thought he was Nelson. Couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo. Nearly made it to the Second World War before the Admiralty decided "LOL, Nope". Cannot be in World of Warships due to a) not being German and b) not being pink and captained by a screaming Japanese schoolgirl. 

HMS Hardy

H Class flotilla leader. Bravely sailed up the fjords of Norway to give the Boche a bloody nose before running into the Boche's mates on the way out and getting blown to smithereens. Tea and (posthumous) medals all round. The Admiralty - again - decided the correct response to this was "LOL, Nope" and sailed the Warspite back up the fjord to Sort It Out in a Jason Statham sort of way. Cannot be in World of Warships because: Gallant's already in Tier VI and you can't have more than one RN Premium DD. 

HMS Sheffield

Town class cruiser with a massively distinguished wartime career. First radar equipped cruiser in the Royal Navy. Shadowed the Bismarck. Engaged the Hipper. Pursued the Scharnhorst at the Battle of the North Cape. Invented torpedobeats when the Ark Royal's planes mistook it for a large and particularly German battleship and dropped a dozen torpedoes on it. Admiralty cable to commander of Ark's air wing: "LOL, Nope".  Cannot be in World of Warships because: famous and distinguished and real.

HMS Cavalier

Not particularly distinguished C-class destroyer, now an excellent museum ship. Ideal Tier VII RN DD Premium. Cannot be in World of Warships because WG: "LOL, Nope". 

• Cool 6
  • Funny 16

Players
314 posts
7,504 battles
1 hour ago, _Dunc_ said:

As a whale, I see it as my duty to mindlessly throw money at the WeeGee empire, so that SerB may eventually one day go to space, and other stuff. Also, grinding is the most unrewarding thing - I just want to derp about in boats and stuff fings, I do.

Anyway, as we all know Russian bias isn't really a thing in this game*, I thought I'd do a quick summary of all the Teabotes in game. Similar to LittleWhiteMouse on the NA forums, but with approx. 97% less effort.

*this may not be correct

shot-20_02.28_17_24.52-0477.thumb.jpg.f8afbc9ff3191e41e914d61b810eb756.jpg

Easily the funniest and now my favourite post of all time in WoWS! :cap_horn:

Edited by Logan_MountStuart
length!
  • Cool 4

Players
1,057 posts
15,102 battles

I would give you two upvotes, if I could. One for making me laugh, and one for the ship collection :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 4

Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

HMS Royal Sovereign

IRL Boat: A ship predestined for its further career by not being ready for the Battle of Jutland, and thus did absolutely nothing worthwhile during the rest of WW1. Didn't do much either during the interwar period either, and during WW2 did some nanny-work for some merchants, and was left behind when the RN-squadron spotted some Italian destroyers. Was then handed over to the Soviets as Arkhangelsk and... did, apart from some nanny-work absolutely nothing over there either according to our sources... She was handed over back to the British after the Soviets acquired the Guilio Cesare (because OP!). Ballistic guidance was done by the Hand of Stalin   and thus the ship returned with a turret-traverse speed of 0°/second. The Clipped Toenail of Churchill ® proved to be not so great as rangefinder, so the ship was scrapped and turned into a telescope.

Verdict: In the game: Sekrit Dokuments however stipulate action in the Baltic, the Black Sea and off the coast of Japan all within 3 days time, the ship being demounted and transported via the Transsiberian railroad... The ship will come with WD40 turrets (due to game-engine limitations) to simulate the HoS-guidance system, an automatic heal and a reduced repair bill, because glorious Soviet maintainance. The ship will be placed as a T5 in the Russian techtree, because glorious Soviet shipbuilding capabilities!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 8

[NWP]
Players
1,407 posts
11,604 battles

Loved it.

Like others said I wish I could upvote twice

• Cool 2

[LADA]
Players
619 posts
9,059 battles

10/10 - brilliant and oh so true!

I'd love to do a RU Premium equivalent but it would just look like this:

Smolensk

IRL - Error 404 Actual Ship Not Found

Ingame - ########## ###### #####ing ####### stupid ######### ####### 

Stalingrad

IRL - Error 404 Actual Ship Not Found

Ingame - Complete load of ################ ######## dreamed up by a ########### who obviously ############# ##########

Lenin 

IRL - Error 404 Actual Ship not...

....you get the idea.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 12

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
321 posts
8,861 battles
7 minutes ago, Gvozdika said:

I'd love to do a RU Premium equivalent but it would just look like this:

Well...

I've got most of the RU premiums... and it would be a simple copy-pasta exercise, apart from the inexplicably balanced Kronshtadt which is only mostly OP, instead of completely. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Although I might get downvoted to hell for it: I don't see the point.

If you want to whine about Russian bias, feel free to talk about that. But if you want to complain that British ships are not competitive, then, please no. Most of them pretty much are solid designs that do a solid job. Even the ones you complain about like Gallant or Exeter are basically power-level wise in line with other similar ships you find at those levels. If they get outshined by ships like T-61, well, duh, can't blame Russian bias on that one. That's like complaining that Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya is crap cause it isn't Giulio or that any T7 cruiser is bad because they aren't Belfast. And Hood may not turn exceptionally well, but with such an hp pool, that armour scheme and that speed, it's hard to complain. Guns are accurate and while low pen, have improved ricochet angles.

British premiums are pretty much where every nations premiums are, a few look meh, a few are good and still define the competitive meta at their tier, most are inbetween. You find the same with the IJN, the USN, the KM, etc. Even looking at Russian premium bias, the main tiers where it goes beyond the BB are T5 (the rare Gremyashy), T8 (Kutuzov) and T10 (Smolensk*) and even then the RN got something at T10 now with Thunderer that can be used even in competitive.

*not counting Stalingrad, because it's a strong ship, but not stupidly busted like Smolensk. If I had to count Stalingrad, then we'd have to count pretty much any T10 design that is competitive, just to put it into perspective. In contrast, Gremyashy is just the best T5 DD, the way Belfast is still an OP cruiser. And you might say Belfast is not as strong as Smolensk, because it has a cit, but on the other hand, does Smolensk carry a radar and a concealment mod that allows its concealment to drop dangerously close to radar range? For a T7, Belfast still is a very powerful design, covering way more bases than Smolensk does.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 7
  • Bad 1

Players
237 posts
2,755 battles

The Duke of York's strength is actually it's improved AP, it has US CA angles and can do real work. But the reload is 29.5s, making the KGV the better HE spammer and driving me mad by have a 29.5s reload. Why .5 WG? Would a whole number have been too much?

The Vanguard is mildly infuriating too, a floating radar powerhouse with everything from the main guns, to the secondaries and even the onboard kettles being powered by their own remote radar guided fire control, an entire hull dedicated to every lesson learnt in damage control and survability, no thought spared when it came to counter flooding or redundancy. A beast that never got to cut it's teeth. So obviously in game it has naff range, no consumables, the wrong secondaries and is balanced with 'lol, buff rudder shift'.

The Warspite was the ultimate tease, great gunnery, potent secondaries but with flaws that you had to navigate around. A rewarding ship when played well and a solid basis for a future line... But clearly that was too much work so enjoy HE spam instead!

• Cool 7

[-TFD-]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
37 posts
4,860 battles

I woke up to this on a saturday morning.

My weekend has been made! :cap_popcorn:

Thanks for the gigles

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
321 posts
8,861 battles
8 hours ago, The_White_Whale said:

The Duke of York's strength is actually it's improved AP, it has US CA angles and can do real work. But the reload is 29.5s, making the KGV the better HE spammer and driving me mad by have a 29.5s reload. Why .5 WG? Would a whole number have been too much?

The Vanguard is mildly infuriating too, a floating radar powerhouse with everything from the main guns, to the secondaries and even the onboard kettles being powered by their own remote radar guided fire control, an entire hull dedicated to every lesson learnt in damage control and survability, no thought spared when it came to counter flooding or redundancy. A beast that never got to cut it's teeth. So obviously in game it has naff range, no consumables, the wrong secondaries and is balanced with 'lol, buff rudder shift'.

The Warspite was the ultimate tease, great gunnery, potent secondaries but with flaws that you had to navigate around. A rewarding ship when played well and a solid basis for a future line... But clearly that was too much work so enjoy HE spam instead!

Yeah, I forgot about DoY's AP - it's my most played ship, but since the matchmaker tweaking to help Tier VIII made VII worse, I've hardly played it. 

Vanguard is the same for me - the last battleship ever built, and as you say encompassing all the lessons learned, and he we have this oddly dull VIII ship which sometimes works, but mostly doesn't, and has to obvious strengths to play to. 

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
321 posts
8,861 battles
9 hours ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Although I might get downvoted to hell for it: I don't see the point.

If you want to whine about Russian bias, feel free to talk about that. But if you want to complain that British ships are not competitive, then, please no. Most of them pretty much are solid designs that do a solid job. Even the ones you complain about like Gallant or Exeter are basically power-level wise in line with other similar ships you find at those levels. If they get outshined by ships like T-61, well, duh, can't blame Russian bias on that one. That's like complaining that Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya is crap cause it isn't Giulio or that any T7 cruiser is bad because they aren't Belfast. And Hood may not turn exceptionally well, but with such an hp pool, that armour scheme and that speed, it's hard to complain. Guns are accurate and while low pen, have improved ricochet angles.

British premiums are pretty much where every nations premiums are, a few look meh, a few are good and still define the competitive meta at their tier, most are inbetween. You find the same with the IJN, the USN, the KM, etc. Even looking at Russian premium bias, the main tiers where it goes beyond the BB are T5 (the rare Gremyashy), T8 (Kutuzov) and T10 (Smolensk*) and even then the RN got something at T10 now with Thunderer that can be used even in competitive.

*not counting Stalingrad, because it's a strong ship, but not stupidly busted like Smolensk. If I had to count Stalingrad, then we'd have to count pretty much any T10 design that is competitive, just to put it into perspective. In contrast, Gremyashy is just the best T5 DD, the way Belfast is still an OP cruiser. And you might say Belfast is not as strong as Smolensk, because it has a cit, but on the other hand, does Smolensk carry a radar and a concealment mod that allows its concealment to drop dangerously close to radar range? For a T7, Belfast still is a very powerful design, covering way more bases than Smolensk does.

I think you might be taking my post a bit too seriously.

As for Belfast - it's OP, but I don't feel the need to shower after each game like I do the Smolensk. The Belfast has a number of glaring faults - it has to get fairly close, is slow to get moving, is the size of a cruiser, gets citadelled easily, and has no defensive torps. The Smol is DD sized, with DD agility, can relocate quicker, and has far more stand-off ability that anything this side of a Lazo or French cruiser. You can't rush it to force it from smoke unless your torpedo beats are strong. 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 3

[SHAFT]
Players
11,684 posts
9,730 battles
21 minutes ago, _Dunc_ said:

You can't rush it to force it from smoke unless your torpedo beats are strong. 

Ive rushed 2x smolensk twice so far, killing both each time. Once with Montana, other with Stalingrad. Without a CV, i would have survived in the Monty, but i survived with Stalingrad.

Panicking is often the worst thing you can do against a Smolensk. When you stop and start to reverse, he can easily hit any section to set you on fire everywhere. And you cant escape fast enough.

• Cool 1

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
321 posts
8,861 battles
8 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Ive rushed 2x smolensk twice so far, killing both each time. Once with Montana, other with Stalingrad. Without a CV, i would have survived in the Monty, but i survived with Stalingrad.

Panicking is often the worst thing you can do against a Smolensk. When you stop and start to reverse, he can easily hit any section to set you on fire everywhere. And you cant escape fast enough.

If you're in a situation where a Monty can rush your Smol, you're probably doing it wrong. 

But yeah, above applies to the Belfast too - the intuitive thing is to run away from the HE murder you can't see, rather than drive at it. 

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
13 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

HMS Sheffield

Town class cruiser with a massively distinguished wartime career. First radar equipped cruiser in the Royal Navy. Shadowed the Bismarck. Engaged the Hipper. Pursued the Scharnhorst at the Battle of the North Cape. Invented torpedobeats when the Ark Royal's planes mistook it for a large and particularly German battleship and dropped a dozen torpedoes on it. Admiralty cable to commander of Ark's air wing: "LOL, Nope".  Cannot be in World of Warships because: famous and distinguished and real.

Shiny Sheff, also a movie star (HMS AJAX in Battle of the River plate, up against USS SALEM), just don't know why such a illustrious naval country (Russia), wouldn't want  the Sheff in a Russian game :Smile-_tongue: , the read about Sheff is very interesting, it would interesting to know if they hadn't had to scrap the sheff (they wanted to keep it as a museum ship), whether Belfast would still be on the thames ?.

The sheff has more battle honours in the 2nd world war than the entire Russian Navy has in the last 100 years, if it were sheff-ski it would be an uber smolensk :Smile_hiding:.  It's a PROPER warship, and not Russian so no chance of ever being in game.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1