Sign in to follow this  
steveraptor

Looking for advice on my 1st premium CV purchase

7 comments in this topic

Players
392 posts
3,934 battles

Hi,

I'm approaching the point where I almost have enough doubloons to buy my 1st premium CV to have some diversity from Shokaku and make some solid money (the cash grind for TX is fairly intense).

My personal state right now is that I'm torn between Kaga and Saipan.

My biggest grip with kaga is that its rocket planes are terrible for its tier and your down to DBs and Torps for the majority of the game.

Also, do Kaga's torpedo bombers retain their 7.5 km base detection value like the rest of the IJN CVs?

For Saipan, I never used Tiny tims before, how do they perform compared to other rockets vs DDs?

I'm not worried about the limited deck/hangar space and plane regen, I'm playing my Shokaku with full conceal build and I generally manage my plane reserves well into the late game.

If you have more information and experience to share about other premiums like GZ and ark royal Il be happy to hear them as well.

[MAS-X]
Players
435 posts
11,147 battles

I got the graf zeppelin b (black version) in a container. Wish i could trade it for any other premium... I hate carriers -_-

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 hour ago, steveraptor said:

Hi,

I'm approaching the point where I almost have enough doubloons to buy my 1st premium CV to have some diversity from Shokaku and make some solid money (the cash grind for TX is fairly intense).

My personal state right now is that I'm torn between Kaga and Saipan.

Kaga.

My biggest grip with kaga is that its rocket planes are terrible for its tier and your down to DBs and Torps for the majority of the game.

You get HE bombs. No need to bother wth rockets.

Also, do Kaga's torpedo bombers retain their 7.5 km base detection value like the rest of the IJN CVs?

Yes.

For Saipan, I never used Tiny tims before, how do they perform compared to other rockets vs DDs?

If you can line it up, they decimate. But you have to come bow-in or stern-in. From side, they are rather meh. On the other hand, they can crap on BBs.

I'm not worried about the limited deck/hangar space and plane regen, I'm playing my Shokaku with full conceal build and I generally manage my plane reserves well into the late game.

Saipan is much much more punishing than Shokaku, even if you run concealment build on SKK.

Spoiler

0ZauqIi.png

If you have more information and experience to share about other premiums like GZ and ark royal Il be happy to hear them as well.

GZ is a meme that is not worth purchasing really.

Ark Royal is good, but T6. If you want some relaxing CV play at T6, AR is great. But it won't print money like a T8. But tier for tier, it certainly isn't worse than any T8 premium.

[N0RSE]
Players
217 posts
15,681 battles

If you are good at not losing/ throwing away planes, then Saipan really is a good carrier, it's the one I'm doing best in, and I have all tier 8 carriers.

However, you play Shokaku. Kaga is also a very good CV, and with it you can further improve your Shokaku captain as a training ship.

So in the end, I would more consider what your future plans are. Are you going to grind up American carriers after you get Hakuryu? Then Saipan can be a good ship to kick-start a US CV captain. If you are not, I would focus on Kaga. Then you still have a Japanese tier 8 CV if you decide to sell Shokaku later.

I would choose Kaga or Saipan as my first premium CV. Indomitable and Graf Zeppelin are unique carriers that can be fun to own, but they are not the best tier 8 carriers.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
36 minutes ago, Nit0 said:

Indomitable and Graf Zeppelin are unique carriers that can be fun to own, but they are not the best tier 8 carriers.

GZ is barely passable and Indomitable is straight up crap. They are the kind of fun to own that you have when owning a garbage premium to look at the cool model, derp around a bit, watch the landscape, but not care about performance. Just that CVs are amongst the most expensive premiums you can buy in shop and their match influence is far too high as to justify wasting it on Indomitable. Playing Indomitable is like the biggest asshattery at T8, because even average T8 CV will likely get just about as much done as you, but a good enemy CV will outperform you heavily. Playing Indomitable is a clear signal that one cares not about actually doing meaningful contribution in the strongest class in the game.

[N0RSE]
Players
217 posts
15,681 battles

It's easy to do a lot of damage with Indomitable, but without torpedoes, it's difficult to impact the game as much as any other t8 CV who do have torps. It's also in my opinion not too interesting to play, since you only have two attack options.

Sign in to follow this