You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
peoplescavalry

Cheshire good bad or indifferent?

56 comments in this topic

[CAIN]
Players
4,976 posts
21,241 battles
14 minutes ago, peoplescavalry said:

I am usually a big fat whale but I’m not sure about this one, any ideas?

I am not a whale (anymore) but i'm still gonna get it. For science. 

In regards to her Performance, no idea yet. 

CCs Claim it's bad, with only 6 guns and a slow reload, but the same was said About the RM CAs and the RN Heavy Cruisers. 

And both Claims turned out to be quite wrong. 

So, i'm gonna buy her and form my own opinion. 

• Cool 4

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
8,257 posts

6 guns at T8? Think I ll pass on her, lot of tome she ll meet hwr sister that has 12 of them and I already have her

• Cool 1

[ALONE]
Modder
2,378 posts
14,378 battles

Not good. Not enough guns/reload.

Albemarle is better. Edinburgh even more. :fish_aqua:

• Cool 2

Players
3,604 posts

Can you tell me anything she has which stands out,? No smoke, (should be mandatory for all Brit cruisers) No Defensive AA, long reload, and only 6 guns, a pass from me, getting very annoyed with this trend for less guns,you need more, not less

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,567 posts
18,223 battles

If this is an just Albemarle hull with guns exchanged for the 234mm of the higher tiers, I have to give a warning to anyone even thinking about buying this : JUST DON'T DO IT!

Albemarle eats damage at all angles and ranges. If it's the same, just run away from it.

• Cool 5

Players
2,147 posts
16,474 battles
9 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Can you tell me anything she has which stands out,? No smoke, (should be mandatory for all Brit cruisers) No Defensive AA, long reload, and only 6 guns, a pass from me, getting very annoyed with this trend for less guns,you need more, not less

It's an Albemarle hull (modified Neptune hull, that is) that gets the t9/t10 234mm guns instead of the 203's found on the Albemarle. These guns have the improved 1/4 pen built in (especially interesting with the inc IFHE changes), but only gets 6 rifles to Albemarle's 9. I don't really find her too insteresting, tbh.

• Cool 2

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,469 posts
20,927 battles

I did some match and found that Drake (stock) gets off 29.97 Shells/minute. Cheshire does 28.8 shells/minute. OK Drake gets better with upgrades but 12.5 reload on 234 mm guns are not bad.

As someone said: I'm gonna buy her and find out for myself.

[CAIN]
Players
4,976 posts
21,241 battles
1 minute ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Any word on the cat? :cat_paw:

Cat? What cat? 

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,519 posts
24,089 battles
47 minutes ago, JapLance said:

If this is an just Albemarle hull with guns exchanged for the 234mm of the higher tiers, I have to give a warning to anyone even thinking about buying this : JUST DON'T DO IT!

Albemarle eats damage at all angles and ranges. If it's the same, just run away from it.

Yeah, hard pass from me. Albemarle is a horrible experience and paying cash for it with different guns is just stupid.

And the armor viewer shows that Cheshire shares all of the Albermarles weaknesses.

• Cool 6

Players
864 posts
11,096 battles
2 hours ago, peoplescavalry said:

I am usually a big fat whale but I’m not sure about this one, any ideas?

Real ships aren't supposed to be good in this game, only paper ships with Russian flags.

• Cool 12
  • Funny 2

[-TPF-]
Players
4,955 posts
20,231 battles
56 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Cat? What cat? 

Cheshire Cat. It's a camo that makes the ship disappear. 

In the midst of what we were trying to say

In the midst of our laughter and glee

We will softly and silently vanish away.... 

• Funny 3

[SM0KE]
Players
7,545 posts
16,172 battles

Full disclosure: I'm awful in cruisers, so some of this may be spectacularly ill-informed.

I don't really see the point (for me) of Cheshire: fewer gun barrels seems to make a primary cruiser job of blapping DDs harder, whilst not giving very much in return. You have single fire torps (good), but with only 8 km range. The heal is nice. I focus on those aspects as it seems to me that Atago is superior in most regards, and I already have her (three times, technically). Cheshire is also paper (albeit not some vodka-fuelled fever dream), which although not crucial, is a minor point against her for me.

So, I'm filing this in the "don't need now" category, but it will be a decent motivation to buy Xmas crates, assuming the 2020 editions are similar to previous ones.

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,955 posts
20,231 battles
8 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I don't really see the point (for me) of Cheshire: fewer gun barrels seems to make a primary cruiser job of blapping DDs harder, whilst not giving very much in return. 

It has the 1/4 HE pen on the 9.2 inch guns, same as the Tier IX and X. Should be quite potent. 

• Cool 2

Players
2,106 posts
9,568 battles

Don't have it and won't get it, even if it was much cheaper.

I'd say it's quite bad and not worth it at all.

Players
2,775 posts
21,129 battles

It doesn't look very impressive on paper considering how fragile the hull is, but I look forward to seeing some reviews.

Normally just being a British ship would be reason enough for me to get it, but these days I admit my enthusiasm for spending money on the game is waining considerably. 

• Cool 6

[-TPF-]
Players
4,955 posts
20,231 battles
6 hours ago, BielayaSmert said:

Graf Spee is better.

Graf Spee's HE penetration is absurd (but balanced by her reload). Discounting Spee, Cheshire is up there with Yorck as having the best HE penetration of any regular heavy cruiser. It's just as good as the Italian SAP, albeit more reliable. 

I guess the anti-hype about Albemarle has kicked in.....

[KOKOS]
Players
460 posts
6,789 battles
8 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

(...) No Defensive AA (...)

She can actually mount the defensive AA module.

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

What do I know, nothing really, but I'm finding the Cheshire a much more comfortable ship than the Albemarle. OK same tendency to suck shells in, but at the same time I'm happier seeing the enemy damage indicators going down in chunks and not in little iddy biddy bits. The extra three guns of the Albemarle shower confetti in comparison, so less is more.

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
345 posts
9,802 battles

I've got it. 

It's reasonably good - guns work well enough with HE setting fires on big things, and being fairly good with AP in the cruiser killing role. 

It's fairly quick, 9.5km detection, and turns well enough. 

It does get citadelled from any angle you like, especially the back. I've found turning into battleships a far better than turning away when at close range - it's counter-intuitive, but gives you a bit longer to live. 

• Cool 1

Players
282 posts
3,035 battles

For those asking for smoke, keep in mind that the 9.2'' has larger smoke bloom, the ships lack RN CL handling so a essentially torp bait while in smoke and the prevelance of radar (with more to come) makes it even riskier.

The ships range, accuracy, torps, secondaries, armour, and consumables are all limited. Each on their own isn't too bad but it's a combination of 'Why?'. Kind of like the Vanguard, you have made a ship which on paper might be ok, but in reality is not rewarding to play. It always feels like whoever you're fighting has the advantage.

Running away or kiting seems to be a death sentence, so many citadels from any angle.

• Cool 1