You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Armada: Cheshire

52 comments in this topic

[SHAFT]
Players
1,236 posts
25,070 battles

The prices of those premium ships.... More expensive than buying new PC games per ship...

• Cool 10

Players
972 posts

I bought it on it's own, (The Bundle Prices Reflect the PR meta imo :Smile_coin: ) It is not a bad ship, but then I realised that the secondary range is a total Pi$$ take and you would be better off mounting half a dozen Ballista's on the side... As usual the Art Work/Graphics are second to none, it seems the Stalinium  Tipped Steam Powered Nerf Hammers were concentrated on the torps and secondaries. But we could have Pirate mode added to the game where we can go steal some Russian Range Finders We Brits were good at that sort of thing:Smile_izmena:

How to make her an enjoyable  and effective ship to play and sell more of them :cap_money:

1. 2km on main battery. still les than T8 PE

2. Same Secondaries as Albamarle 

3. Same torpedoes as other T8 British Cruisers

4. Sack me as the Captain :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 5

Players
237 posts
2,755 battles

Short ranged, squishy, worse torps and consumables than the Albemarle, borked secondaries and T8 cost and matchmaking.

Shame, she looks good imho but gets eaten alive by everythnig same tier and up.

• Cool 2

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
20,026 battles

Is the article correct and she doesn't have Upgrade Slot 5?

As a T8 she should be able to mount the Concealment Module.

Any information please.

Edit: Video suggests that she can mount the Concealment Module. 

Please can someone clarify the status of this? @The_EURL_Guy @MrConway@Crysantos

Edited by Cambera_1
Additional line

Players
972 posts

I have concealment module on mine. You'll need it Cambera as most things outrange al your offensive capabilities

• Cool 2

WG Team
134 posts
4,779 battles

😐
1 hour ago, Cambera_1 said:

Is the article correct and she doesn't have Upgrade Slot 5?

As a T8 she should be able to mount the Concealment Module.

Any information please.

Edit: Video suggests that she can mount the Concealment Module. 

Please can someone clarify the status of this? @The_EURL_Guy @MrConway@Crysantos

41 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

@motor_g_b Thanks

@The_EURL_Guy It would appear that this needs fixing in the text of the article. (Was this cut and pasted from the HMS London article?)

Hello,

I've checked the article and found no errors. Its also been included in the video. 

image.png

• Cool 2

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
20,026 battles
2 minutes ago, SeaSickOllie said:

Hello, ...

Glad it's sorted now.

These articles are good information, when accurate, and Wargaming and the Web Team are to be congratulated on a interesting and useful series in the "Armada" pages.

WG Staff
3,415 posts
14,962 battles
1 hour ago, The_White_Whale said:

They didn't fix the ship, would be surprised if they fixed the article!

I honestly think the Cheshire is a good ship - it has great concealment, good guns with normal Tier VIII range and due to the torps it offers the option to go nuke something close range if needed. If you compare it to other cruiser, e.g. the popular Atago it has better range, comparable concealment and armor - with a better heal. Tier VIII MM is significantly better since we introduced the 40% max rule for being uptiered.

3 hours ago, motor_g_b said:

I bought it on it's own, (The Bundle Prices Reflect the PR meta imo :Smile_coin: ) It is not a bad ship, but then I realised that the secondary range is a total Pi$$ take and you would be better off mounting half a dozen Ballista's on the side... As usual the Art Work/Graphics are second to none, it seems the Stalinium  Tipped Steam Powered Nerf Hammers were concentrated on the torps and secondaries. But we could have Pirate mode added to the game where we can go steal some Russian Range Finders We Brits were good at that sort of thing:Smile_izmena:

How to make her an enjoyable  and effective ship to play and sell more of them :cap_money:

1. 2km on main battery. still les than T8 PE

2. Same Secondaries as Albamarle 

3. Same torpedoes as other T8 British Cruisers

4. Sack me as the Captain :Smile_veryhappy:

1. If I compare range with other Tier VIII CAs / CLs, she has better range than Mogami, Atago, Baltimore, Cleveland, Edinburgh - but less than Hipper or Charles Martel for example.

2. While I appreciate the thought the secondaries on a cruiser usually are very...secondary :D but happy to point it out internally.

3. 10km would be nice to have but since it has 234mm guns, I think this would be too much of an advantage over Albemarle.

4. We'll just have to apply some RL elite commander XP on you :cap_haloween:

Selling more is always nice but we want to keep things balanced - already made our mistake with Belfast before.

3 hours ago, tsounts said:

The prices of those premium ships.... More expensive than buying new PC games per ship...

They're not cheap but the Cheshire has the same pricetag as pretty much any other Tier VIII CA. I thought exactly the same way when I started playing the game, comparing a ship to an entire game until I realized that spend significantly more time with these ships than I do with most other games - my first premium ship I bought was the Murmansk and I have close to 400 battles with it - breaking it down into hours that would be around 100h of playtime / fun. That's more than I get out of most games - but it's up to everybody to decide whether a ship is worth it or not. I personally think if you like cruisers and e.g. Atago playstyle, this ship is a good buy - but some will disagree.

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 4

Players
237 posts
2,755 battles
22 minutes ago, Crysantos said:

2. While I appreciate the thought the secondaries on a cruiser usually are very...secondary :D but happy to point it out internally.

The Albemarle also has the bugged 3km secondaries, have been told that they would be fixed several times since the ship first came out for testing but nothing has happened. And as for them being secondary, that's very true, but the Cheshire got be a bit of a beastly surprise with it's DPM from them, if you want to risk it of course.

[2DQT]
Players
403 posts

When this game keeps crashing so much no thanks. Still working on a generous 6 battles probation thanks to the game crashing at the start of two games. Now what was that 12 euro game I saw on Steam ?

[2DQT]
Players
403 posts
3 hours ago, The_White_Whale said:

Short ranged, squishy, worse torps and consumables than the Albemarle, borked secondaries and T8 cost and matchmaking.

Shame, she looks good imho but gets eaten alive by everythnig same tier and up.

They wanted a tier 8 price so they made her tier 8...

Players
1,270 posts

Not even worth considering with 16k main gun range at T8 (being up-tiered to T10) and no smoke to use

Just another garbage British cruiser

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

WG Staff
3,415 posts
14,962 battles
10 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

Not even worth considering with 16k main gun range at T8 (being up-tiered to T10) and no smoke to use

Just another garbage British cruiser

You are aware of the fact that 15.5-16 km range is the average range for most cruiser on this Tier? How do you rate it to be garbage?

38 minutes ago, rimmer_the said:

When this game keeps crashing so much no thanks. Still working on a generous 6 battles probation thanks to the game crashing at the start of two games. Now what was that 12 euro game I saw on Steam ?

That sounds like a client or PC issue - could you create a customer support ticket with an attached WGCheck & DX Diag report? Then we can look into it.

Greetings, Crysantos

Players
972 posts
1 hour ago, Crysantos said:

We'll just have to apply some RL elite commander XP on you :cap_haloween:

I'm past redemption Crysantos just to old and Knackered lol  how about just a tiny little secondary buff make it the same as Surrey Pleeeaaase 

• Funny 2

WG Staff
3,415 posts
14,962 battles
5 minutes ago, motor_g_b said:

I'm past redemption Crysantos just to old and Knackered lol  how about just a tiny little secondary buff make it the same as Surrey Pleeeaaase 

No promises - I'll ask but it's very unlikely ;)

• Cool 1

Players
972 posts
4 minutes ago, Crysantos said:

No promises - I'll ask but it's very unlikely ;)

No problems , I will buy Stronk Soviet Cruiser and crush puny western lolly boats :cap_rambo::cap_rambo:

• Funny 3

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,865 posts
21,648 battles

16 minutes ago, Crysantos said:

How do you rate it to be garbage? 

The armor profile combined with a very clumsy handling make her inferior to other heavy cruisers, which have either a better turning circle, rudder shift, speed, or compensate with range. Cheshire shines in none of these categories:

Spoiler

image.png.fd7bb41c047f8101259bb28fe2fbcec7.png

A simple comparison shows that ships with a similar combination of below average turning circle and rudder shift have all better range (Hipper, Martell, Eugen). Others have better rudder shift, to juke enemy shells (Mogami, Atago, Baltimore), Amalfi has speed and a tight turn. Wichita just zips around everyone. What do Albemarle and Cheshire have? A massive weak point in the form of a citadel step above the water that makes deleting them easy as they trundle into the slaughter.

Spoiler

gB2CGIR.jpg

ICJvvEB.jpg

7PV4Fu5.jpg

Even the super heal does not compensate for being blapped by a BB into the citadel, as this ship can't tank anything with such a weak spot.

So, asking 37€ for a ship like that? Good luck.

• Cool 7

[MORIA]
Players
7,790 posts
39,268 battles
5 hours ago, Aragathor said:

asking 37€ for a ship like that? Good luck

Even though I buy a lot of stuff - this one is a pass. Not enough range, worse torps and small amount of shells with same reload as Albemarle. Od the range was 17+km and 10 sec reload - I would rethink. But on this state - nope. 

I'll wait for something better. Something that I really want from historical point of view. Orkan :cap_win:

• Cool 2

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,865 posts
21,648 battles
12 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Even though I but a lot of stuff - this one is a pass. Not enough range, worse torps and small amount of shells with same reload as Albemarle. Od the range was 17+km and 10 sec reload - I would rethink. But on this state - nope. 

I'll wait for something better. Something that I really want from historical point of view. Orkan :cap_win:

I would have preferred the Piorun...

• Cool 1

WG Staff
3,415 posts
14,962 battles
1 hour ago, Aragathor said:

The armor profile combined with a very clumsy handling make her inferior to other heavy cruisers, which have either a better turning circle, rudder shift, speed, or compensate with range. Cheshire shines in none of these categories:

Reveal hidden contents

A simple comparison shows that ships with a similar combination of below average turning circle and rudder shift have all better range (Hipper, Martell, Eugen). Others have better rudder shift, to juke enemy shells (Mogami, Atago, Baltimore), Amalfi has speed and a tight turn. Wichita just zips around everyone. What do Albemarle and Cheshire have? A massive weak point in the form of a citadel step above the water that makes deleting them easy as they trundle into the slaughter.

Reveal hidden contents

Even the super heal does not compensate for being blapped by a BB into the citadel, as this ship can't tank anything with such a weak spot.

So, asking 37€ for a ship like that? Good luck.

Not saying she shines in these categories - but she's not really bad at them either. In many of the discussions I read here there's not a lot of room in between "omg OP" and "garbage". Turning circle is okay, rudder shift is meh - speed was never the thing for RN cruisers but we're talking here about the usual range of 32-35kn for most cruisers on that Tier (CM, Edinburgh, Balti, Cleveland, all the same speed). But she does have amazing guns imho (great pen, both HE & AP feel comfortable, high fire chance) and the HP pool & heal pays off if you know how to use it - especially on Tier VIII where most other cruisers don't have access to healing. I personally enjoy it a lot and while I understand that she isn't the best in many regards, she's far from being garbage. She has clear pros and cons, she's a good all-rounder and has the same price point as any other Tier VIII CA.

Up to you if you want to buy her - I just don't understand how people can complain about facts like ranges while completely disregarding the common ranges for that Tier. Some traits might not be as attractive to you compared to what other ships have to offer, but slight differences in speed / rudder shift / turning circle are usually not that big of a factor compared to how a ship feels like. It's a very subjective thing what you're looking for in a ship and our game is at a point where you already have a wide variety of ships to pick from - both tech-tree and premium ones.

In any case, enjoy your weekend guys!