Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HassenderZerhacker

shooting unspotted targets behind islands?

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
1,178 posts
3,828 battles

I had it happen today that a ship went unspotted while I was in the middle of shooting my volley, so the shells of the last two turrets landed miles further than they should have.

First of course, this should be impossible, guns shouldn't adjust the range after having been the order to fire, but the other question is - since I knew exactly where this ship was - if there is a way to adjust the range for the shells to fall just behind that island?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
32,413 posts
16,212 battles

A spotter plane might help.

Otherwise, if your crosshairs are on the island, your shells will hit the island.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CLTS]
Players
104 posts
6,785 battles

I always wonder if "sector lock"ing the guns would help... Never had the opportunity to try. I always forget to do so.

 

It would be neat to have the ability to aim behind an island if the arc of the shells can pass over it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
32,413 posts
16,212 battles
7 minutes ago, E4GLEyE said:

I always wonder if "sector lock"ing the guns would help... Never had the opportunity to try. I always forget to do so.

Even if it would, which I doubt, it would be almost impossible to pull off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PAID]
Players
296 posts
9,506 battles
5 hours ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

I had it happen today that a ship went unspotted while I was in the middle of shooting my volley, so the shells of the last two turrets landed miles further than they should have.

You shoot with greater accuracy when your guns are locked on a target. You lost the target lock when the ship went unspotted, so the last salvo had significantly worse dispersion - it happens all the time

 

5 hours ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

if there is a way to adjust the range for the shells to fall just behind that island?

no. hold the shots until the target is spotted again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BAD-F]
Beta Tester
773 posts
14,114 battles

From gameplay point of view if you could lob shells above island without spotting a target, would that be gamebraking?

If yes then we know next gimmick :)

 

It would made hiding behind islands quite impossible, wouldn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UKMD]
Players
139 posts
3,707 battles
Vor 3 Minuten, Sir_Grzegorz sagte:

From gameplay point of view if you could lob shells above island without spotting a target, would that be gamebraking?

If yes then we know next gimmick :)

 

It would made hiding behind islands quite impossible, wouldn't it?

But it would also enable ships to blindfire other ships while sitting behind islands themselves

it works both ways

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
32,413 posts
16,212 battles
1 hour ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

From gameplay point of view if you could lob shells above island without spotting a target, would that be gamebraking?

If yes then we know next gimmick :)

Probably not. But it would be technicly challenging to implement that. The aiming help needs to know that you do not want to hit the rock you are aiming at, but the space behind it.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weekend Tester
884 posts
10,611 battles
3 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Probably not. But it would be technicly challenging to implement that. The aiming help needs to know that you do not want to hit the rock you are aiming at, but the space behind it.

 

 

All it requires in practice  is a modified version of the spotter plane (i.e. without the extra range) that you can toggle on/off. That should be very easy to implement.

 

You could debate leaving the enemy ship visible if its still spotted by a team-mate, or or it could be made invisible to you when you are in "spotter mode" so that you are forced to take predictive aim. Thats merely a gameplay balance issue.

 

 

A slightly more complicated way to do it would be to allow you to plot shots on a map view (something like the navigation map view). This is, of course, exactly how guns of all sizes are laid for indirect fire if you are not using electronic/electro-mechanical computers - you just use graph paper, protractor and firing tables.

 

 

IMHO its un-immersive and a big skill cap in that the game limits you to fairly crude auto aim instead of allowing manual aim. Its particularly frustrating when you can still physically see an enemy ship that you were shooting at but, because the WG server thinks that more than half the ship is behind cover, the auto-aim simply switches off mid shoot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
797 posts
15,577 battles
19 hours ago, E4GLEyE said:

I always wonder if "sector lock"ing the guns would help... Never had the opportunity to try. I always forget to do so.

 

It would be neat to have the ability to aim behind an island if the arc of the shells can pass over it.

 

i am not sure if sensor lock also locks the elevation of the guns, or just the direction. And also, it doesn't lock them on a spot, just locks them in their current position, So if ship moves and turns, aim will move also.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,335 posts
11,668 battles
19 hours ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

I had it happen today that a ship went unspotted while I was in the middle of shooting my volley, so the shells of the last two turrets landed miles further than they should have.

 

This is exactly what ive seen prolly hundreds of times now: I shoot something, it goes dark - shells fly WAY too far. It happened atleast once that the target popped up again before my shells hit and then it was so so so so obvious, that my shells flew much higher/wider then my aiming was. Its bugged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
32,413 posts
16,212 battles
25 minutes ago, cracktrackflak said:

All it requires in practice  is a modified version of the spotter plane (i.e. without the extra range) that you can toggle on/off. That should be very easy to implement.

Yes, that would work.

But that woild devalue the spotter plane consumable.

For some time we had a similar feature in game and WG removed it, because skilled players used it for aiming help.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TS1]
Players
658 posts
8,162 battles

It used to be that you could fire a moment or two after the enemy got unspotted and you'd still get the lock on effect. Now it seems that effect stops as soon as the target starts to fade away. I think that started when WG said they wanted to lessen the blinking of ships getting rapidly spotted and unspotted. But as usual, it didn't actually fix anything and instead just made things worse. WG skill in action.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,335 posts
11,668 battles
18 minutes ago, Runegrem said:

It used to be that you could fire a moment or two after the enemy got unspotted and you'd still get the lock on effect. Now it seems that effect stops as soon as the target starts to fade away.

 

Yep, this definatly changed a lot. And it might indeed actually be resposible for who-knows-what when it comes to weird flight patterns... who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GRNPA]
Beta Tester
34 posts
16,342 battles

Of course guns change the course of fire all the time after you fire you can easy test this by yourself.

Put 2 ships in training room close to each other then target the ship behind aim and fire at the ship in front and your shells will land between them.

Some magic force wants to hit the locked target but since you aimed "bad" it cant do all the work they shells after all not missiles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,178 posts
3,828 battles
4 hours ago, Runegrem said:

It used to be that you could fire a moment or two after the enemy got unspotted and you'd still get the lock on effect. Now it seems that effect stops as soon as the target starts to fade away. I think that started when WG said they wanted to lessen the blinking of ships getting rapidly spotted and unspotted. But as usual, it didn't actually fix anything and instead just made things worse. WG skill in action.

well, within the same salvo it should keep the same aiming parameters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
17 hours ago, Funny_Farmer said:

Would blind shooting over islands not be possible using the aiming circle on the minimap?

 

No, since you simply cant aim behind the island. It will stay on the island, unless you move it over, which basicly is much further away (you can see the circle jump on the minimap then).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,981 posts
7,359 battles
21 hours ago, Lieut_Gruber said:

i am not sure if sensor lock also locks the elevation of the guns, or just the direction. And also, it doesn't lock them on a spot, just locks them in their current position, So if ship moves and turns, aim will move also.

Wrong, there's two way of locking your turret.

One lock the turret in place, the second locks the spot you are aiming at. I think the first is Shift+X while the other is Ctrl+X. Using the second one can allow you to shot shells over an island if you already locked a target there previously. It requires reacting immediately tho, which is difficult to pull off on practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
5 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Wrong, there's two way of locking your turret.

One lock the turret in place, the second locks the spot you are aiming at. I think the first is Shift+X while the other is Ctrl+X. Using the second one can allow you to shot shells over an island if you already locked a target there previously. It requires reacting immediately tho, which is difficult to pull off on practice.

 

Are you sure that it works? Imo it shouldnt, as its a sector lock. So if you lock them, they stay on the spot, but if the island gets in the way, it should still shoot the island.

Could probably try that even alone in a training room using spotter plane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TS1]
Players
658 posts
8,162 battles
17 hours ago, Sciurus said:

Of course guns change the course of fire all the time after you fire you can easy test this by yourself.

Put 2 ships in training room close to each other then target the ship behind aim and fire at the ship in front and your shells will land between them.

Some magic force wants to hit the locked target but since you aimed "bad" it cant do all the work they shells after all not missiles.

That's just how the aim-assist works,

 

but not exactly. The shells don't change course after you fire, but the game adjusts your aim slightly towards the targetted ship. Without that aim-assist it would be much harder to hit ships in general. It generally works fairly well; there's just some issues with how the game chooses which ship to put the marker on and the previously mentioned issues with ships getting unspotted at the wrong moment.

 

 

1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Are you sure that it works? Imo it shouldnt, as its a sector lock. So if you lock them, they stay on the spot, but if the island gets in the way, it should still shoot the island.

Could probably try that even alone in a training room using spotter plane.

That would depend on if the turrets lock their elevation as well as their direction or just their direction. But if sector lock locks on to an exact spot on the map the feature could be used to, amongst other things, fire easily at target who smoke up and stay still. Never actually thought about that. Nice call, @ShinGetsu. And now it's weekend, so I might actually have some time to test things out.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,981 posts
7,359 battles
2 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

 

Are you sure that it works? Imo it shouldnt, as its a sector lock. So if you lock them, they stay on the spot, but if the island gets in the way, it should still shoot the island.

Could probably try that even alone in a training room using spotter plane.

think that does work, as the sector lock is about locking your guns on a minimap spot, and not in a direction.
Might requires testing tho. Been a long while since I used this feature honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×