You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MenaceJC

Burning of Battleships Ruing Gameplay

44 comments in this topic

[ZACPT]
Players
9 posts
4,663 battles

Am I the only one that thinks that gameplay has become screwed by burning.

In a Battleship now you are afraid to approach a destroyer, who can burn you out.  He can sit in a smoke screen and fire HE at you all day, you will just burn out and can do nothing about it.

I have even seen that heavy battleships are now swapping to HE more and more.  Heck I am doing to too, as you get a better result vs heavy battleships.

All to often your AP shells just bounce and so we are all firing HE at each other.  Hopping for a burn out.

Thus my viewpoint that  the game is being ruined by the burning of battleships.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 15
  • Boring 14
  • Bad 4
  • Angry 1

[CORNG]
Players
2,161 posts
18,215 battles
5 minutes ago, MenaceJC said:

In a Battleship now you are afraid to approach a destroyer, who can burn you out.

How long does it take for one DD to burn down a BB? Longer than his smoke will last.

6 minutes ago, MenaceJC said:

He can sit in a smoke screen and fire HE at you all day, you will just burn out and can do nothing about it.

No he cannot just sit there, he will get torped, radared, rushed by a hydro cruiser. At least he will if the BB is not alone.

• Cool 9

[JRM]
Players
8,230 posts
20 minutes ago, MenaceJC said:

Look at my avatar

• Cool 3
  • Funny 6

[THESO]
Players
824 posts
3,922 battles
17 minutes ago, MenaceJC said:

In a Battleship now you are afraid to approach a destroyer, who can burn you out.  He can sit in a smoke screen and fire HE at you all day, you will just burn out and can do nothing about it.

I have even seen that heavy battleships are now swapping to HE more and more.  Heck I am doing to too, as you get a better result vs heavy battleships.

All to often your AP shells just bounce and so we are all firing HE at each other.  Hopping for a burn out.

The DD can't do that, and to add to FallenOrchids points, the DD also risks getting blindfired upon and hit severely if shots do connect.

You generally don't get better results with HE.

Not saying HE should never be used as a BB, but AP is simply superior in most cases.
If you are getting better results vs BBs that way, you either don't understand how to (where to aim, to be more exact) shoot AP properly, or you measure your success in pure damage numbers only.

Players
1,431 posts
Vor 23 Minuten, MenaceJC sagte:

How are you spotted from a DD that is sitting in his smoke?

Ahhh maybe there is more to this story....

Heck I am doing to too, as you get a better result vs heavy battleships.

Ohhh dear - I start to spot a trend here.

Thank you - no more questions.

• Boring 1

[THESO]
Players
824 posts
3,922 battles

I'll also add that the fire mechanic is one of the few ways lighter ships can actually damage BBs due to their low caliber (excluding torps), and taking away fires from said ships would leave BBs as behemoths that would dominate the lesser ships due to their enormous health pool, armour and gun caliber values.
Further adding to that, you are actually making your team a disservice by firing HE, as you are taking potential fires away from cruisers and DDs if you spread fires as a BB, where instead you could have fired AP.

You kind of remind me of a friend of mine, who is a 40%-ish player. I have tried to help him improve as a BB, but instead of heeding any advice he has decided that "he gets better results with HE" and thus shoots it at everything.
His refusal to try to improve is one of the reasons he plays dumb moves like that, which just creates a vicious cycle of continually bad stats.

• Cool 8

[CATS]
Players
32,422 posts
16,222 battles
35 minutes ago, MenaceJC said:

Certain BB players complain about that for over 4 years.

They are afraid of everything, even their own shadow, and use any excuse not to move forward.

Other BB players move forward and dominate matches for over 4 years.

• Cool 20
  • Funny 2

Players
4,858 posts
21,244 battles
47 minutes ago, MenaceJC said:

Game destroyed. :cap_cool:

Players
2,147 posts
16,450 battles

Anyone can get burnt down in their BB from time to time, but if it happens consistently, the problem lies between the chair and keyboard. I'd be interested to know how many people that complain about this check team lineups at the start, take note of the biggest threats, and position so they can disengage / get to safety when necessary, without actually camping the map border... because I see a lot of bad BB plays in randoms. Either they yolo while sailing broadside to the biggest guns they can find (especially prevalent with german bb captains who read somewhere that they can't be citadeled and they're brawlers, so let's sail broadside to half the enemy team, what could go wrong), or they're so afraid of being set on fire they just run to the map edge. Most of them also happen to fix single fires, then rage about fire spammers when they can't fix the 2/3 fires they get when their DC is down.

OP, all you've complained about can be countered with good awareness and positioning. Your survival rate, as well as other assorted stats, show that there's definitely room for improvement there. The trick is to position in such a way that you don't instantly suicide, while not being so far away so you're useless to your team. Don't be afraid to take damage at all - as a BB, being a damage sponge is a part of your job. You have the armor and heals to deal with it, and if you're not doing that tanking, your cruisers and dd's are being focused, which will usually lead to a defeat. 

• Cool 8

Players
6,338 posts
12,731 battles
56 minutes ago, MenaceJC said:

Directives of next week:

Spoiler

inaplayfulmood.jpg.54eae86e35d5a809f7005294adba49a7.jpg

*20000 people all playing these directives for the newest supercaptain :cap_cool:

Have fun next week :Smile_trollface::Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 3

[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Players
493 posts
7,826 battles

This problem has a simple solution.

Step 1: Buy a Yamato

Step 2: Buy Gun Fire Control System Modification 2 for slot 6

Step 3: Buy Spotting Aircraft II

No DD can ever reach you!

• Funny 6
  • Bad 1

Players
3,228 posts
19,185 battles
1 hour ago, MenaceJC said:

1. The largest part of damage done to BBs come from AP (and guess who is shooting that?)

2. Since WG nerfed torpedoes into the ground, then nerfed flooding into the ground and introduced th REEEwork for good measure, guess what is the only remaining alternative to large caliber AP shells for dealing with BBs?

3. Since WG nerfed cruiser armor indirectly by adding lots of 30 mm overmatch, guess the only way cruisers can fight back?

So in conclusion, yes i think you are right. And yes I hate how the game has been dumbed down.

But I dont agree with your suggestion that the problem is burning BBs. On the contrary, in fact.

BBs need some heavy range or survivability nerfs along with HE nerfs (coming next patch).

• Cool 1

Players
1,050 posts
9,200 battles

Comrade, comrade, you disappoint us. Why not buy glorious Kremlin? Coated with flame retardant vodka, padded with 100k HP, flinging stalinium shells at capitalists, penning battleship and destroyer alike. Why?

• Funny 4

Players
1,050 posts
9,200 battles
36 minutes ago, Captain_Newman said:

I'd be interested to know how many people that complain about this check team lineups at the start, take note of the biggest threats, and position so they can disengage / get to safety when necessary, without actually camping the map border... because I see a lot of bad BB plays in randoms. Either they yolo while sailing broadside to the biggest guns they can find (especially prevalent with german bb captains who read somewhere that they can't be citadeled and they're brawlers, so let's sail broadside to half the enemy team

On a more serious note.

I was amazed (in the recent ranked) at how few! I only have two tier X ships and I played the Yamato in ranked. I am not a good player. I do, however, check what kinds of ships are in the match and don't  (try not to) steer directly into 3 Smolensks. I don't mind most HE spam, though I will say that the Smolensk is ridiculous and needs a range adjustment.

An added point: Teams don't seem to care to kill reds who rack up kills. A red with 2 ships sunk and good positioning is apparently less dangerous than a lone Conqueror in the corner of the map, firing a useless HE volley every now and then.

As to the Kurfürst captains. It's an epidemic. Broadside Kurfürsts to my Yamato are the norm. Sure, I hardly citadel them. On the other hand, I hardly need to.

[-LA-]
Players
743 posts
5,653 battles

Play a Tx battle , watch the behaviour of the BB's 

it would appear the op has a point.  

i understand the concept of fire in the game mechanic sense its a way to get ships that would actually be no threat a way to do damage. its just as there is no way to angle no way to dodge . its exceptionally easy for any high tier ship to set multiple fires in very fast time and they do soo much damage its just too easy to do right now.

[CATS]
Players
32,422 posts
16,222 battles
1 minute ago, Padds01 said:

i understand the concept of fire in the game mechanic sense its a way to get ships that would actually be no threat a way to do damage. its just as there is no way to angle no way to dodge . its exceptionally easy for any high tier ship to set multiple fires in very fast time and they do soo much damage its just too easy to do right now.

This did not change.

BB behaved like that before UK BB, even in battles with only 1-2 CA per side...

• Cool 4

[UKMD]
Players
139 posts
3,707 battles
Vor 10 Minuten, Padds01 sagte:

Here is a simple list of things that cause BBs to camp:

-enemy DDs

-ships that shoot HE (most commonly CLs)

please note that the actual damage dealt by the HE spammer has no effect on the behaviour of the BB

-enemy CVs

-ships that shoot AP at their broadsides (often causes BBs to bowtank)

-torpedoes

-enemy BBs

-a large number of enemies

-a low number of enemies (maybe there are several unseen DDs :O )

-no friendly CV

-no friendly DD

-no friendly CL/CA

-no friendly BBs

-friendly ships in front of the BB (I don't need to be at the front, I can snipe from the back)

-no friendly ships in front of the BB (Oh no! I am being shot at! Better hide behind my friendly cruisers)

from my own observations it truly doesn't matter

BBs will always camp

They camp when there is HE spam, they camp when there is no spam

they camp when there are enemy DDs in the area, they camp when there are enemy BBs in the area

if you have a class that has high range and can mitigate most damage by staying stationary with their bow turned towards the enemy, then people will use that class to camp

• Cool 4
  • Funny 6

[RODS]
Players
1,962 posts
7,828 battles
2 hours ago, MenaceJC said:

Static battleships need some HE spam to start moving, it does the trick every time

On the other hand BB:s that move, manouvre and dodge are a lot harder to hit / light up

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
32,422 posts
16,222 battles
Just now, Keijo_Kalmakoura said:

Issue is that  any DD should get wrecked/immobilized from single BB  HE shell if it hits anywhere on said DD.

That is no issue, no matter if you look at it from gameplay or realism perspective.

• Cool 1

Players
10,665 posts
12,133 battles
2 minutes ago, Keijo_Kalmakoura said:

Issue is that  any DD should get wrecked/immobilized from single BB  HE shell if it hits anywhere on said DD.

Breaking news: BB grade HE shells already obliterates engine/rudder/both for good measure.

• Cool 2

[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
797 posts
15,577 battles
3 hours ago, MenaceJC said:

Am I the only one that thinks that gameplay has become screwed by citadels

In a Cruiser now you are afraid to approach a Battleship, who can onestrike you. He can sit at range and fire AP at you all day, you will just blow up and can do nothing about it.

I have even seen that heavy battleships are now swapping to HE more and more.  Heck I am doing to too, as you get a better result vs heavy battleships.

Thus my viewpoint that  the game is being ruined by the devastating strikes on cruisers.

Here we go, my viewpoint.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1