Server Restart - On the 17/09 the server will be unavailable for 1 hour Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
EzPz51

Spotting plane Bug on the New York?

12 comments in this topic

Players
47 posts
22,979 battles
I think I found a bug, can't tell if it's just me though, So I would like to know if other people can reproduce it.
New York main turret range is 20.9km (with MK 5 mod 2)
After activating Spotting aircraft I get a 21.3km main turret range (so it seems a 2% and not a 20% range increase which would give a 25.1km range)

I tried: restarting wows, switching to gun fire control system MK5 mod 1 and back to mod 2, Switching to spotting aircraft II and back to spotting aircraft I. The issue stays

shot-20_02.26_10_55.54-0253.thumb.jpg.3b24f3e5e393ff0f56d43d64788de56e.jpgshot-20_02.26_10_55.47-0928.thumb.jpg.32895eea5134b9f2bcd6ce24d9d502e1.jpg

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,233 posts
10,556 battles

I could be wrong, but isn't spotter plane tied to base range?

EDIT: New York base range is 18 km, 20% increase gives you 21 km. So it would seem it is not a bug but the spotter is tied to base range upgrades.

[KAKE]
Players
2,800 posts
6,795 battles

Base range: 16.4 km

Mk 2 fire control module: +0.1*16.4 = 1.64 km additional range

Spotter plane: +0.2*16.4 = 3.28 km additional range

Artillery plotting room mod 1: +0.16*16.4 = 2.624 km additional range

Max range with all three is then just shy of 24 km. EDIT: No it's not, see below.

21.3 is correct for only upgraded fire control and spotter plane but not plotting room.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles

Thats interesting, i didnt knew that. Alltho, i basicly wouldnt use spotter plane + any range mod anyway.

Has it always been like that? I always assumed, Yamato could shoot 35km with Range mod + spotter plane :cap_hmm:

[KAKE]
Players
2,800 posts
6,795 battles

Hm. There's definitely something odd here.

20.9 fits with (16.4*1.1) * 1.16, in other words if artillery plotting room upgrade is multiplicative with fire control module. While 21.3 fits with 16.4 * (1.1 + 0.2), in other words what the range with spotter plane would be if artillery plotting room upgrade is not fitted.

It looks like the range calculation when spotter plane is triggered doesn't take artillery plotting room mod 1 into account.

*prod* @MrConway, @Crysantos

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,543 posts
14,012 battles

Spotter plane,

gives %20 more range on top of your current active range on the ship..

At least thats what I know..

From wiki

However, instead of attacking enemy aircraft, the unarmed Spotting Aircraft increases the range of the ship's main battery by 20% and gives an "aerial" perspective when scoping.

Players
47 posts
22,979 battles

It's definitely not calculated from base range. at least at none of my other ships it is.

I double checked this with my Kongo

Kongo:

-Type 5 Mod 1 range 19.3km

-Type 5 Mod 1 range 21.2km

Spotter plane + Type 5 Mod 1 range 25.4km (21.2 * 1.20 =25.4)

shot-20_02.26_16_04.07-0736.thumb.jpg.420a4656cdab2cb768666c0512ca4960.jpgshot-20_02.26_16.04_02-0033.thumb.jpg.7ba9d0d48aacb5b2884d9293c2042d85.jpg

-

Players
10,663 posts
12,105 battles

It seems to be physical max gun range for New York class battleships, as Texas with range mod and spotter caps at 21.3km as well, while should achieve 22.9km. Otherwise spotter stacks with range mod.

Other example of "max gun range" I'm aware of is American Dual Purpose Mortar (5"/38, used on all tier 5+ US DDs) have physical range cap of 16.something kilometers, even if theoretically you should have 18km (in Fletcher+AFT+GFCmod2)

Navweaps have turret data, main culprit seems to be limited gun elevation to 15 degrees, giving New York class... just over 21km range:cap_tea:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_14-45_mk1.php

Same issue should apply to Arizona as well nvm, Pennsylvania class got modified turrets to allow 30 degrees elevation

• Cool 3

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,393 posts
4,229 battles

20 hours ago, Uglesett said:

Hm. There's definitely something odd here.

20.9 fits with (16.4*1.1) * 1.16, in other words if artillery plotting room upgrade is multiplicative with fire control module. While 21.3 fits with 16.4 * (1.1 + 0.2), in other words what the range with spotter plane would be if artillery plotting room upgrade is not fitted.

It looks like the range calculation when spotter plane is triggered doesn't take artillery plotting room mod 1 into account.

*prod* @MrConway, @Crysantos

The ship has a hard-cap of 21.3km due to the shell ballistics and their initial muzzle velocity, this cannot be exceeded even if you stack the bonuses up.

Working as intended :)

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,800 posts
6,795 battles
5 minutes ago, MrConway said:

The ship has a hard-cap of 21.3km due to the shell ballistics and their initial muzzle velocity, this cannot be exceeded even if you stack the bonuses up.

Fair enough.

But since we're on the subject (and the Wiki isn't entirely clear on it), how are the different range modifiers applied? Are they additive or are some of them multiplicative? E.g. as I mentioned in the post you quoted, it seems like the fire control module changes the base range, and the percentage increase from plotting room upgrade is based on that new base range.

BTW, are the physical limits on range stated somewhere? It's a bit of an edge case, I guess, but it might be useful to avoid "wasting" skill points or upgrades in some cases.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,794 posts
10,946 battles
1 hour ago, MrConway said:

While Panocek basically wrote this already, lets anyways add this to the explanation given above:

Spoiler

In other words, I jumped directly to Conway's post from the Forum front page, wrote my answer and only then I scrolled up to read Panocek's post  :cap_book:

Ballistics in itself alone doesn't explain it, as North Carolina has worse ballistics, i.e. flight times than New York. Muzzle velocity is one of the coefficients that affects the ballistics.

New York-class had never their turrets modernized, thus they had max. 15 degrees elevation for their main guns until the end of their careers.

WNUS_14-45_mk10_bb34_sketch_pic.thumb.jpg.3ee422690f9b8ac8983fe9e07feaa8ea.jpg

When you combine the ballistics of the shells with maximum elevation of 15 degrees, then you get the maximum range of about ~ 21 km, which is thus faithfully represented ingame.

Spoiler

Though ingame NY has for some reason wrong shell names for her upgraded hull: "356 mm AP Mark 16" and "356 mm HE/HC Mark 22"

Both AP Mark 16 and HC Mark 22 were too long to use in the NY-class, so they were given a bit shorter AP Mark 20 and HC Mark 19 Mod 1 shells instead:

• USS New York (BB-34) and USS Texas (BB-35) were not modernized and their existing shell hoists could not handle the new, longer AP and HC projectiles, so modified versions with shorter windshields were produced for these ships.

• As noted above, the New York class (BB-34) used the shorter AP Mark 20 and HC Mark 19 Mod 1 projectiles while the newer ships used the longer-nosed AP Mark 16 and HC Mark 19 Mods 2 to 6 and HC Mark 22 Mod 2 projectiles. Other than the length of the windshield, the AP projectiles were identical. Some of the older AP Mark 8 projectiles were also issued during World War II, possibly only to the New York class.

NavWeaps is/has the source(s) for the quotes

• Cool 1

Players
47 posts
22,979 battles

Thanks for the responses, it's a hard cap of 21.3km on New York and Texas, not a bug, question resolved.

Remains only 1 thing:

If you mouse over the spotter plane consumable with NY or Texas if says "Main battery firing range +20%" which is inaccurate information.

Sign in to follow this