Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FiscallyIrresponsible

Tier 8 and Up Italians; waste of time or worth it?

26 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
379 battles

Hello I am a new player I installed the game rather recently maybe a month or so and I can only say that I am frustrated

Frustrated by a few things, the fact everyone had promised the Italian ships got substantially more powerful at the Amalfi and that everything below that was garbage, I though have found the opposite to be true

The most fun ships I have are the Zara which is my favourite and the Trento not just for historic reasons but gameplay as well now enter Amalfi I don't know if I had too high expectations going into it but I loath almost everything about the ship it simply cant maneuver to evade oncoming fire as well as my T 5~7 italian ships at all, with a rudder shift time of 15 seconds is there really much in the way of anything to do bit sit down and take the salvo?

I also ran into the problem of being unable to deal adequate damage with it, this may be as a result of skilled counter play by my enemies like angling and I know in those cases I need to shoot for citadels but the different velocity makes hitting anything harder the lack of plunging fire also makes it easier to angles against my SAP at distance and it feels as though my presence can be easily nullified with proper positioning

Obviously this isn't a ship for solo flanking but I do feel as though my hands are always tied in it

The guns also felt anemic for the tier not the SAP, But the AP seems to be about as good as on the last ship and lacks the punch to really citadel this all makes me wonder

Seeing as the T8~10 italian ships follow the same design I must ask is it a L2P (I understand I have a long way to go in L2P in general) issue or are the ships actually just mediocre at that. The WOWS wiki says the Amalfi is when a captain can decided if he truly enjoys the RM line or not and so far the Amalfi has left a exceptionally bad taste in my mouth that I've sold it

[CATS]
Players
26,697 posts
14,310 battles

The Tier VIII+ are stronger.

But they still use SAP, which makes them hard to play. Not the best line for new players.

• Cool 3

[CAIN]
Players
4,487 posts
18,933 battles

L2P issue most likely. 

You‘re a new player and the RM cruisers aren’t the best choice for a new player as they require a bit more experience in the game. 

That being said, I absolutely love the RM cruisers. All of them are good - awesome (except Genova hate that one) with Venezia being on the OP side of the scale. 

My my suggestion would be, to play at least the russian cruiserline and maybe even the french too, as the play style of the RM is a mix of playstyles of these two lines. 

Amalfi...is a good boat, the issue is that she’s only a small improvement over the awesome Zara, so most people do not consider it to be a ‘upgrade’ plus the fact that you see TX. 

However, Zara is already a T 7.75 ( means, too strong for its tier) so the Amalfi only feels a bit lackluster. She ain’t tho. 

Brindisi is great and would perfectly well as TX, but WG had to supersize her and introduced a nearly OP Venezia. 

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
6,552 posts
24,729 battles

IMO they are pointless, they can deliver damage with proper target selection and constant shooting but the same numbers will be far easier (less work involved) to come by in any other line really, interesting as a novelty and thats about it

[SHAD]
Players
2,569 posts
11,513 battles

Brindisi and Venezia are borderline OP.

SAP is very effective when you get used to it.

They are fast.

Their armour is fairly trollish 

Their smoke is a get out of jail free card for mistakes or to cover a turn.

Players
2,916 posts
16,585 battles

The Tier 9 Brindisi is very good.

I just got the tier 10 but havn't played it much yet, SAP is strong with this one though.

[THESO]
Players
812 posts
6 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Waste.

Are you speaking about yourself ? because the t8+ italian ships are amazing

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
136 posts

You are running too fast through tiers. At about 200 battles you should still be learning in tiers 5-6 or even lower. 

• Cool 4

[JRM]
Players
6,552 posts
24,729 battles
7 minutes ago, M4R4Z said:

You are running too fast through tiers. At about 200 battles you should still be learning in tiers 5-6 or even lower. 

There is only one thing to learn in the T5 and below these days and thats thinking happy thoughts until its done..

• Cool 1

Players
2,791 posts
19,103 battles
2 hours ago, Asakka said:

Are you speaking about yourself ? because the t8+ italian ships are amazing

I know they are, but still think I wasted my time with them :Smile_child:

Also +1 for baby insult :cap_like:

[MORIA]
Players
7,341 posts
36,539 battles

Venezia is really worth it. When a Mogador pops up at 7km and oneshot him... That satisfaction :cap_look:

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
812 posts
18 minutes ago, Europizza said:

I know they are, but still think I wasted my time with them :Smile_child:

Also +1 for baby insult :cap_like:

My pleasure :cap_haloween:

Btw low-mid tiers are so trash, but venezia is worth it (befeore they nerf it)

Players
576 posts
4,537 battles

Well, I am NOT a good player (44% WR); somehow I have compiled a 75% WR in Zara (doing only 22k average damage, record 44K and record 2k XP). I have to learn to find a balance between shooting and kiting (currently too much kiting, and shooting and inopportune moments).

But the ships are fun IMHO, and if you can get a DD or cruiser at the right time.... 

Players
1,673 posts
14,740 battles

I loved the Amalfi and I quite liked the Brindisi (after feeling the "meh" hard on mid-tiers). Then I got the Venezia, and I see that it's a good ship, I see that it could be fun, and I can deal damage and get kills and whatnot.. but it's cursed for me. Literally every time I take her out, I get a team where half of them manage to die in the first 5 mins. I'm literally lucky if my team doesn't get zeroed in 8 min flat, that's what I get when I play her, so she's been parked for quite some time now.

I hope to one day return to her and find the curse lifted. That will be a fine day, indeed.

Players
904 posts
16,976 battles
5 hours ago, FiscallyIrresponsible said:

with a rudder shift time of 15 seconds is there really much in the way of anything to do bit sit down and take the salvo?

Played Amalfi only on the test server and she was very agile with upgraded hull and the 2 rudder modules.

Are you driving her stock?

Players
5 posts
379 battles
8 hours ago, JG4_sKylon said:

Played Amalfi only on the test server and she was very agile with upgraded hull and the 2 rudder modules.

I would like to thank everyone for the kind,expedient, but also insightful replies to my post.

Yes I do believe I was sailing her stock as once the free premium time ran out I found I could only make about 50k to 100k per game in my main money/fun maker, the Zara. (my damage fluctuates from 30k on a bad game to a high of 60k on a good) I had both modifications researched but not equipped on the Amalfi but it was not being economically viable to keep sailing out for me because of the issues I was having above, it was quickly going to put me in the red so I as forced to sell it, reluctantly.  

13 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

L2P issue most likely. 

You‘re a new player and the RM cruisers aren’t the best choice for a new player as they require a bit more experience in the game. 

That being said, I absolutely love the RM cruisers. All of them are good - awesome (except Genova hate that one) with Venezia being on the OP side of the scale. 

My my suggestion would be, to play at least the russian cruiserline and maybe even the french too, as the play style of the RM is a mix of playstyles of these two lines. 

Amalfi...is a good boat, the issue is that she’s only a small improvement over the awesome Zara, so most people do not consider it to be a ‘upgrade’ plus the fact that you see TX. 

However, Zara is already a T 7.75 ( means, too strong for its tier) so the Amalfi only feels a bit lackluster. She ain’t tho. 

Brindisi is great and would perfectly well as TX, but WG had to supersize her and introduced a nearly OP Venezia. 

Interesting I guess this explains my near 60% win rate in Zara, thanks for the good advice I'll grind the french CAs to get a new perspective and more game sense for when I revisit Italian high tiers with the Amalfi

[PIKES]
Players
401 posts
10 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

Venezia is really worth it. When a Mogador pops up at 7km and oneshot him... That satisfaction :cap_look:

Completely truth!

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,818 posts
5,332 battles
9 hours ago, JG4_sKylon said:

Pretty agile even with one of the rudder modules, but does rather need last stand.

[RO-RN]
Players
901 posts
10,864 battles

If you dont have anything else to do then yes! Otherwise no! Italian cruisers are way to situational and depends on the enemy type of ship and how good he is! They are very easily countered:try fighting anything that sits bow in( especially a des moines) and then you will realize how...underwhelming this line is! 

Beta Tester
1,892 posts
11,654 battles
On 2/26/2020 at 7:44 AM, FiscallyIrresponsible said:

Hello I am a new player I installed the game rather recently maybe a month or so and I can only say that I am frustrated

Frustrated by a few things, the fact everyone had promised the Italian ships got substantially more powerful at the Amalfi and that everything below that was garbage, I though have found the opposite to be true

The most fun ships I have are the Zara which is my favourite and the Trento not just for historic reasons but gameplay as well now enter Amalfi I don't know if I had too high expectations going into it but I loath almost everything about the ship it simply cant maneuver to evade oncoming fire as well as my T 5~7 italian ships at all, with a rudder shift time of 15 seconds is there really much in the way of anything to do bit sit down and take the salvo?

I also ran into the problem of being unable to deal adequate damage with it, this may be as a result of skilled counter play by my enemies like angling and I know in those cases I need to shoot for citadels but the different velocity makes hitting anything harder the lack of plunging fire also makes it easier to angles against my SAP at distance and it feels as though my presence can be easily nullified with proper positioning

Obviously this isn't a ship for solo flanking but I do feel as though my hands are always tied in it

The guns also felt anemic for the tier not the SAP, But the AP seems to be about as good as on the last ship and lacks the punch to really citadel this all makes me wonder

Seeing as the T8~10 italian ships follow the same design I must ask is it a L2P (I understand I have a long way to go in L2P in general) issue or are the ships actually just mediocre at that. The WOWS wiki says the Amalfi is when a captain can decided if he truly enjoys the RM line or not and so far the Amalfi has left a exceptionally bad taste in my mouth that I've sold it

Havent played the line myself, but against it many times and I can say the Venezia SAP is devestating to any DD or Smolensk/other light cruisers. The shells should be called "ZAAAPP!!!!", because you hear that noice and ....... U DEAD!!

[BS4]
Players
1,290 posts
7,278 battles
On 2/26/2020 at 10:12 AM, M4R4Z said:

@FiscallyIrresponsible Its This My friend ^^

Italian Line although a bit of a disappointment to most of us (that maybe personal) does actually get better from VII and up. But also it is not a beginner line. At tier VIII you will be facing tiers 9 and 10 so with 219 battles under your belt with respect this is not going to end well for you as you have not yet gathered the experience and discipline needed at the top tiers ...YET.

Go back down a few tiers as suggested and perhaps use American line which is generally forgiving and a lot easier to learn. Then you can progress to lines that are harder to use ie Italian and British for Example.

Happy gaming and welcome.

[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Players
456 posts
7,327 battles
On 2/26/2020 at 7:44 AM, FiscallyIrresponsible said:

Hello I am a new player I

1. You're rushing tiers too fast.

2. Don't play the Italian cruisers yet.

I'm at the Brindisi (skipped the Amalfi) and it's an ok ship, if you know how to use it. But Italian cruisers have a different playstyle, they are harder to play then most other lines.

Sign in to follow this