Server Restart - 30 October, 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Baron_1994

Low tier games and missions

19 comments in this topic

[BAD-A]
Players
7 posts
11,673 battles

It seems a real shame that I never take out tier I-IV ships even though WG spent a long time designing them and a great number of them are a lot of fun.   The reasons why?  1) none of the regular missions can be accomplished by low tier ships, 2) despite the research bureau reset option there seem to be very few people playing low tier so it takes flipping ages to get into a random game - the only option is co-op  which is not really much fun nor a challenge.  

Please, therefore WG can you provide incentives (missions for example) for people to do random battles (or even a scenario, God forbid) for low tier ships.  Otherwise it's a real waste of around a third of the ship pool and all the design work that went into them.

• Cool 5

[CAIN]
Players
4,495 posts
18,963 battles

Nice to have but unlikely to happen. 

It would encourage seal clubbing, brings no money for WG and it require some effort to make missions specific to the lower tiers with appropriate rewards, which most of the players that have higher tier ships wouldn't deem worth of even trying. 

If it weren't for the Tokens you need to get Cunningham, nobody would give a rats arse about the directives considering the rewards. 

• Cool 2

[-TPF-]
Players
3,929 posts
16,185 battles

I did suggest that the Dunkirk mission be brought back, configured so that players could use ships that were actually involved in Dynamo (Wakeful, Icarus, Gallant, Bourrasque, Siroco, Jaguar, amongst others) with rewards increased for playing the "weaker" ships. Not hard to balance that mission for low Tier destroyers, tbh. 

Players
2,106 posts
9,536 battles

T1 - T4?

WG doesn't even care for the T5-T9, let alone the lower ones.

T10 is the only tier that matters comrade, the only one.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,482 battles

Op also forgot the asbestos aerosols in low tiers, 3 per side, giving everyone Mesothelioma ...

As much as I would love to occasionally take out low tiers, you gotta have a solution to get rid of the funpolice first.

[BIF]
Players
322 posts
4,874 battles

- There will not be more focus on low tier gameplay simply because the game is designed around the players progressing to higher tiers, and it would hardly attract new players.

Got this on the NA forum, from Sub_Octavian's Q & A

[-TPF-]
Players
3,929 posts
16,185 battles
10 hours ago, K82J said:

- There will not be more focus on low tier gameplay simply because the game is designed around the players progressing to higher tiers, and it would hardly attract new players.

That's nice. They've also said, though, that it's very difficult to balance scenarios and operations over Tier VIII, so that rather limits their choices for these types of gameplay. 

What they also need to realise is that once a game is established, something strange happens - players want to play within the game world and mechanics they understand, and enjoy, rather than within the parameters that the designers intended. So "designed around progressing to higher Tiers" may not be something that players do if they get more enjoyment or value elsewhere at Tier V than Tier X.

[GEUS]
[GEUS]
Players
261 posts
9,184 battles

I agree with OP. I barely play low tier ships because;

- they don't count towards directives/missions

- there seem to be less people playing it, even in coop you'd mostly be stuck with bots on your team

Would've been nice if the tier requirement for directives/missions would go down. 

Beta Tester
285 posts

I take my low tier ships out of port every now and then to keep the engines from locking up. Some of the low tier ships are pretty good, like the VU, or Dreadnought. 

Then you have Imperator Nikolai, wich is borderline OP, and that ship is fun, but very slow. 

Would be nice to have some low tier operations, but that is extremely doubtfull we'll ever see. Same goes for tier 9-10 operations.

Players
960 posts
13,842 battles

More WG circular reasoning:

Them: low tiers are not popular enough to support

Us: low tiers are not supported enough to be popular.

• Cool 2

[FLASH]
[FLASH]
Players
399 posts
15,077 battles
1 hour ago, DanSilverwing said:

More WG circular reasoning:

Them: low tiers are not popular enough to support

Us: low tiers are not supported enough to be popular.

True, damned true ...

Players
3,037 posts
31,525 battles

I just want some return for my investment in the lower tier premiums..... How about that?

Players
920 posts
11,130 battles
13 minutes ago, hgbn_dk said:

I just want some return for my investment in the lower tier premiums..... How about that?

That's actually a "fun", or at least semi-interesting thought, I have some myself as well. Not that I ever thought about a refund for anything, but still.

"We are selling assets for an area of the gameplay we officially don't give a sh*t about."

Then again, it's a very clear statement that puts new players to where they belong as well. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
3,037 posts
31,525 battles

The vast majority of the low tier premium ships have very little or no AA at all, except Katori and Yubari. Yet they face 2-3 CV's in almost all games in random..... You can't even avoid them in co-op. since they thought it was smart to throw in a bot cv on your side too. At least the CV AI is stupid. But anyway just why??????? Silver ships same problem but those are free..

@MrConway @Crysantos @Tuccy @Sub_Octavian How will you deal with this?? I have paid real money for all those lower tier premiums and I can't enjoy them in random's because of the glorious 4-6 CV meta at the low tier MM.

Players
960 posts
13,842 battles

I tried to explore this issue last year

At that time Wargaming were selling 19  Premium ships of Tier 2, 3, and 4. And a further 3 Premium ships were available for Doubloons.

But where is the incentive for people to buy them, let alone play them?

If they can't be used in missions, then players will prioritise ships that can be.

They're not much good for grinding XP because low tiers don't reward much xp or credits.

They're not going to be much fun to play in a small population pool (see circular reasoning post, above), and they're not going to be fun at all facing T4 CVs since the re-work.

It seemed there was some small relief, in the form of very rare personal assignments and Snowflakes.

In late 2018 WG introduced Snowflakes. All qualifying ships had one, and when a battle was won you'd redeem the Snowflake for a corresponding reward. T2-T4 Premiums got 300 Coal per ship.

In mid-2019 we had a 'lite' version in the French DD pre-release: Symbols of France. T2-T4 Premiums got 200 Coal per ship.

In late-2019 for WOWS fourth anniversary we had Victory Bonuses. T2-T4 Premiums got 1 Anniversary camouflage per ship.

What a wonderful trend! The highly anticipated 2019 Christmas event promised more Snowflakes (and a Dockyard feature). Excited talk speculating, what we would get?

Spoiler

T2-T4 Premiums...nothing. In fact no preference for any Premiums at any tier. https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/sales-and-events/missions-0811/ Can't find or remember the reasoning, but I'm sure I did read a CM response.

As things are those low-tier Premiums offer no return on investment for customers, and if they're not being bought offer no return on investment for WG either.

They could change this gloomy picture quite easily with a fresh approach to the game structure. But given the lack of company market research and the intransigence of the incumbent development team I'm pessimistic.

• Cool 1

[NECRO]
Players
1,584 posts
Vor 3 Minuten, DanSilverwing sagte:

But where is the incentive for people to buy them, let alone play them?

a) Mostly historical vessels, no paper or fantasy crap

b) Cute looking

c) Fast and enjoyable gameplay, no camping, no rainbows of flaming doom

d) Available for far less $ than high tier status symbols

e) Cheap to fit out and service

• Cool 1

Players
960 posts
13,842 battles
17 minutes ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

a) Mostly historical vessels, no paper or fantasy crap

b) Cute looking