Sign in to follow this  
Fred3n

Does CV torpedoes have activation distance or activation time?

14 comments in this topic

[ALOUE]
Players
158 posts
4,387 battles

As the title suggests i am wondering if torpedoes activate themselves after X amount of seconds from the drop or from X amount of distance traveled from the drop?

I am asking because i am concidering taking torp speed skill on my captain, but if torpedoes activate after X amount of time i do not want to take that skill because i will have to drop torps from a greater distance.

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
1,999 posts
12,244 battles
1 minute ago, Fred3n said:

As the title suggests i am wondering if torpedoes activate themselves after X amount of seconds from the drop or from X amount of distance traveled from the drop?

I am asking because i am concidering taking torp speed skill on my captain, but if torpedoes activate after X amount of time i do not want to take that skill because i will have to drop torps from a greater distance.

It's distance, not time. Which ship/commander are you thinking of?

[ALOUE]
Players
158 posts
4,387 battles

Thank you mate, probably nice to get torp speed on every CV then.

But i wasasking specifically for my Midway CV i have a regular non special 19 point fleet admiral on it

Edit: specced like this since i prefer HVAR:

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/content/commanders-skills/?skills=8,10,11,15,16,24,25,29&ship=AirCarrier

Players
8,169 posts
9,048 battles
4 minutes ago, Fred3n said:

Aircraft torps have an activation time. Ship-launched ones, I don't know. In either case, the arming distance is much less of an issue and you want it on pretty much any CV, just so ships don't easily outrun them.

[ALOUE]
Players
158 posts
4,387 battles

Yeah i should probably edit the title, the question is in regards to CV torps, ship torps activate instantly afaik.

1,999 posts
12,244 battles
8 minutes ago, Fred3n said:

Yeah i should probably edit the title, the question is in regards to CV torps, ship torps activate instantly afaik.

No they don't - it's still a matter of distance to target. 

Players
10,032 posts
11,829 battles
16 minutes ago, Wizard27_1979 said:

It's distance, not time. Which ship/commander are you thinking of?

Except its time, as "arming distance" increases once you add torpedo speed modifiers like Torp. Acceleration or new upgrade in slot 3

[ALOUE]
Players
158 posts
4,387 battles
Just now, Wizard27_1979 said:

No they don't - it's still a matter of distance to target. 

Okey, well it feels like ship torps have a very short activation distance and the question was in regards to CV's anyway, which if i understood Bunny_Lover_Kallen correctly is activated not with distance but with time

1,999 posts
12,244 battles
3 minutes ago, Fred3n said:

Okey, well it feels like ship torps have a very short activation distance and the question was in regards to CV's anyway, which if i understood Bunny_Lover_Kallen correctly is activated not with distance but with time

You can check in port. 

image.thumb.png.3386285fe891f280a08ebddbe9177512.png

[ALOUE]
Players
158 posts
4,387 battles
7 minutes ago, Wizard27_1979 said:

You can check in port. 

image.thumb.png.3386285fe891f280a08ebddbe9177512.png

I tested this myself on my shokaku captain, it had a Torpedo Arming Distance of 564 meters without torpedo Acceleration captain skill. After i specced Torpedo Acceleration (5%) faster torpedoes the Torpedo Arming Distance is now 617 meters.

I think we can safely assume that it is (unfortunately) time.

• Cool 1

Players
1,030 posts
11,873 battles
1 hour ago, Fred3n said:

I tested this myself on my shokaku captain, it had a Torpedo Arming Distance of 564 meters without torpedo Acceleration captain skill. After i specced Torpedo Acceleration (5%) faster torpedoes the Torpedo Arming Distance is now 617 meters.

This is indeed what you need to compare in port.

I dont have pics available, but its listed as distance, yet this distance gets compensated for when the speed changes- so its time thats set. 

For IJN torp bombers this generally means that picking up TA or the module hinders torpedo bomber use, since you can no longer drop close, will have more duds and cant drop near islands

Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
105 posts
2,142 battles
On 2/25/2020 at 11:05 AM, Fred3n said:

What is the point of increasing the torpedo speed then.... it is useless this way. Can any dev confirm this?

[ALOUE]
Players
158 posts
4,387 battles
On 2/27/2020 at 9:27 AM, BarskiPatzow said:

What is the point of increasing the torpedo speed then.... it is useless this way. Can any dev confirm this?

Pros and cons, i am thinking about abandoning it on my IJN line. The torps are already fast enough, and the torps needing longer traveling distance is a negative trait that outweighs speed increase.

Not sure what i will do with the RN & US line, probably keep the skill for now since it costs alot to respec.

Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
105 posts
2,142 battles
17 minutes ago, Fred3n said:

Pros and cons, i am thinking about abandoning it on my IJN line. The torps are already fast enough, and the torps needing longer traveling distance is a negative trait that outweighs speed increase.

Not sure what i will do with the RN & US line, probably keep the skill for now since it costs alot to respec.

I see no Pros, if the it needs 5% distance more to activate that just means time to impact is same as before taking the upgrade. So it's a debuff instead of a buff to torpedos, since it takes away some flexibility regarding dropping it near islands...

Sign in to follow this