You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gopher31

IFHE/ plating changes coming up. What are you doing with your light cruisers?

IFHE / plating changes coming up. What are you doing with your light cruisers?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Will you use IFHE on your 150-155mm armed cruisers or rely on fire and superstructure damage?

• IFHE
    • No IFHE
    • Mostly IFHE
    • Mostly no IFHE

56 comments in this topic

[SHAD]
Players
2,569 posts
11,506 battles

I thought it would be interesting to see what plans we have for light cruisers as the IFHE rework is incoming in 0.9.2.

SO what are you going for? Fire/superstructure damage or hull penetration?

Players
10,017 posts
11,809 battles

Camrade Smolensk never had issue of achieving 32mm HE pen, so will rely on RNGesus blessing to inflict harm to the enemies of the state.

For other CLs... no change, as IFHE still remain mandatory

[SWAMP]
Players
345 posts
2,633 battles

I don't really understand this change.
Granted, I didn't read up on all the details of it, but it seems to me that CLs are just taking a direct nerf to their fire chance now (when speccing the near mandatory IFHE)?

I do play BBs a lot and hate multiple fires like everyone else, but I also understand that cruisers need to be able to do proper damage in order to be of use, and fire + HE damage is the way they do that.

IMO cruisers should have their HE damage increased as well in order to compensate for their lower fire chance, if they so choose to spec into IFHE - otherwise this is just a plain nerf while being an indirect BB buff.

• Cool 7

[THIR]
Players
701 posts
3,987 battles

This whole topic got super complicated because of the tier 7/8 difference baked into the skill. Hightier CLs are unable to pen 32mm and the decks of US BBs without IFHE and it's probably not worth it trading half your firechance unless you have a dedicated captain for a tier 8 premium CL maybe. At this point there are just too many ships that you can't pen anyway. For the midtiers it's a lot more complicated. How often are you uptiered in a tier 6 or 7 ship these days? With IFHE you can pen hightier CAs but it will only help you against midtier BBs + you'll lose half your firechance. Without IFHE you have to rely on fires against all BBs you'll ever face AND hightier CAs so you actually need the skill. And this is the basic problem with the rework. Making the skill not mandatory for hightier CLs but a bunch of ships that you play before them promotes what? Yeah, captain skill reset. :Smile_coin:

[CATS]
Players
26,691 posts
14,310 battles
5 minutes ago, Stormhawk_V said:

Yeah, captain skill reset. :Smile_coin:

... which will be free.

• Funny 1

[THIR]
Players
701 posts
3,987 battles
Just now, ColonelPete said:

... which will be free.

It will probably be hidden behind a button in a several pages long article about how awesome the new changes are but it's not what I mean. I'm talking about players grinding the CL tech trees after the changes.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[CATS]
Players
26,691 posts
14,310 battles
5 minutes ago, Stormhawk_V said:

It will probably be hidden behind a button in a several pages long article about how awesome the new changes are but it's not what I mean. I'm talking about players grinding the CL tech trees after the changes.

Probably not.

And if you plan your techtree progression, that should be no problem.

And one clan battle per season gives you two free resets.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,857 posts
27,035 battles

Depending on ships and tier. For T6 and T7, IMO there is no option but to go for IFHE as without it there will be too much targets you wouldn't be able to pen. Even with IFHE you won't be able to pen 32mm but at least you can deal consistent damage to anything with armour up to 30mm. For T8-T10, probably will still go for IFHE to pass 32mm but will consider about it on 180mm Soviet CLs. For Atlanta, I'll go with IFHE as it give her 26mm of pen, just as for Smolensk. 

[-TPF-]
Players
3,906 posts
16,096 battles

I will probably find another game to play. Having recently given up an MMO I've played for years because the developers keep fiddling with stats and breaking multiple characters, I can't be bothered with this type of nonsense any more. Major change for the sake of it is never good. The new armor model and IFHE changes look arbitrary and confusing. I know what they're trying to achieve but overall it looks as if they haven't done so but are pressing on anyway. That's happening too often. 

• Cool 3

Weekend Tester
281 posts

depends on the ship, Smolensk no changes never used IFHE on it cause its a Flamethrower in essence so why waste that, Worcester i dont know but most likelyyes for the rest it depends on the Tier in lower tiers its kind of a must because you tend to be cannonfooder but the upper tiers it really gest intresting

Modder
4,873 posts
22,141 battles
1 hour ago, gopher31 said:

I thought it would be interesting to see what plans we have for light cruisers as the IFHE rework is incoming in 0.9.2.

SO what are you going for? Fire/superstructure damage or hull penetration?

Without option: I will no longer play them, poll is incomplete.

• Cool 4

Players
7,030 posts
245 battles

Dunno, depends if my la galissonaire doesnt become useless overnight.

also if they change any of the values during or after testing.

[SHAD]
Players
2,569 posts
11,506 battles
5 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

Without option: I will no longer play them, poll is incomplete.

You’re probably right. I’ll be in the Des Moines, one of the few that actually received a buff.

The gap between T7 and T8 cruisers will be even more painful soon.

Finally the Belfast gets an indirect nerf!

[SHAFT]
Players
9,807 posts
8,982 battles

Im not sure if CLs can live without it. T6-7 wont penetrate T8-9 Cruisers, since they receive central (deck) buff. Especially with bad range, you cant always shoot BBs, and not to mention, if you are in a 1v1 situation with another Cruiser, you are already at a disadvantage. And you cant really burn a Cruiser down, especially since they all have heals at T9.

For T8+ its a given imo, so you can pen BBs. Direct damage > RNG damage. Even more so, since the latter can be healed 100%.

Players
8,162 posts
9,017 battles

I'll just not play 152-155 mm ships beyond T5? Why play the virgin cruiser when chad battleship gets the HE to just not care about the armour? Thunderer ftw.

Also, 150 mm is only Germans and those cruisers have 1/4 pen. They won't care.

Players
4,476 posts
7,604 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

... which will be free.

One time only.

What the OP was talking about is the new player progressing a line/lines for the first time, who has to set up one way to be competitive up to T7, then pay to respec to continue beyond there.

Players
206 posts
25,616 battles

Another option - only play Italian CLs cruisers with SAP and RN CLs- Leave the rest as Harbour Queens

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
8,162 posts
9,017 battles
5 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

One time only.

What the OP was talking about is the new player progressing a line/lines for the first time, who has to set up one way to be competitive up to T7, then pay to respec to continue beyond there.

Sorry, but with current changes, progressing a CL line and "competitive" just do not go together at all.

Frankly, with how it will be, new player should not play either of the two lines that care post-rework, tbh. USN CLs will be a general case of "Why does this line exist?" and Soviet cruisers, 180 mm already gets 30 mm pen without IFHE, so just run with that and then go towards Petropavlovsk. Free exp later in your career for less suffering. Germans never cared about IFHE, IJN leaves small caliber guns behind at T4 to T5. French have to grind through La Gal, but will get 203s on Algerie, Italians got SAP, British got only AP. Obviously, T6/7 CL prems will be screwed, but those didn't need respecs during grinds anyway.

Players
8,162 posts
9,017 battles
1 minute ago, Tordenskjold23 said:

Another option - only play Italian CLs cruisers with SAP- Leave the rest as Harbour Queens

Only Italian CL with SAP is Montecuccoli, which is a piece of trash. I'd rather play any other T5 cruiser over it. Well, except Genova. But Italians already get CAs from T6 onwards, with CLs only as prems, but those use HE. And frankly, those should use IFHE. You never had good fire chance on them to begin with.

Players
7,030 posts
245 battles
5 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Sorry, but with current changes, progressing a CL line and "competitive" just do not go together at all.

Frankly, with how it will be, new player should not play either of the two lines that care post-rework, tbh. USN CLs will be a general case of "Why does this line exist?" and Soviet cruisers, 180 mm already gets 30 mm pen without IFHE, so just run with that and then go towards Petropavlovsk. Free exp later in your career for less suffering. Germans never cared about IFHE, IJN leaves small caliber guns behind at T4 to T5. French have to grind through La Gal, but will get 203s on Algerie, Italians got SAP, British got only AP. Obviously, T6/7 CL prems will be screwed, but those didn't need respecs during grinds anyway.

Well that depends if weegee keeps it as it is or not.

Guess ill have to spam AP in perth i guess if weegee doesn't change it.

Not sure why they don't just change individual ship stats but eh.

[HAMAR]
Players
375 posts

This dilemma is nothing new to owners of old premium Italian cruisers Duca d'Aosta and Duca degli Abruzzi  

152 mm guns. Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell 7 %   

Using IFHE  was better.

Now they will have 3.5% fire change with IFHE  and without DE skill and flags

[SHAFT]
Players
9,807 posts
8,982 battles
7 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Not sure why they don't just change individual ship stats but eh.

Because its less about balance than to confuse players. We get constant changes to the game, so i dunno, to "dumb" it down? Guess we cant have people running around knowing exact values, must be OP to clubb those poor seals that throw moneh at WG:cap_yes:

I think WG wants everyone to be as clueless as possible, so they can harvest the most amount of cash. :cap_money:

• Cool 4