Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
illy

minimap idea

20 comments in this topic

Players
482 posts
8,545 battles

excuse me if this has been mentioned before or it already exists, it would be nice to have a visual idea of your detection distance when firing within smoke on the minimap, especially with Italian cruisers.....like i said if it exists or has been discussed apologies........my wife reckons it's another of my crazy ideas...... drive thru fish n chip shop kinda thing

• Cool 1

[TALOS]
Players
272 posts
10,264 battles
21 minutes ago, illy said:

excuse me if this has been mentioned before or it already exists, it would be nice to have a visual idea of your detection distance when firing within smoke on the minimap, especially with Italian cruisers.....like i said if it exists or has been discussed apologies........my wife reckons it's another of my crazy ideas...... drive thru fish n chip shop kinda thing

if u use a mod, u can have it. Wherever u want it.

If u see your crosshair, when u firing says the det dist.

Players
482 posts
8,545 battles
24 minutes ago, The_Finnster said:

Drive thru fish n chips.....show me where I can invest in that and I will

i was going to call it "Captain cod" and have a big cod with an open mouth you shout your order into........winner winner erm fish supper dinner

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,117 posts
8,678 battles

You do get the gunbloom showing on the minimap each time you fire, but I guess you mean on all the time like AA ranges and the like? I think you need to visit mods for smoke firing in particular. Either that or just trying to remember the penalty for your ship and keep that in mind when smoking up.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,836 posts
8,982 battles

I think its not too much to ask to remember the values, especially since you can look them up during the game by pressing H. Most of the time, you see the enemies which can spot you. and if you wouldnt see them, then it wouldnt matter^^

• Cool 2

[OGHF]
Players
1,137 posts
20,311 battles

Or do what I do, list all your Smoke ships and there Gun Bloom Distance on a sheet of paper and stick it in eyes reach when you are playing.

I also have a typed list of all radar ships along with there radar range and duration and along with my smoke ship gun bloom list are stuck on the side of my tower unit in easy glance range. 

Simples :cat_cool:

[MORIA]
Players
7,346 posts
36,617 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

I think its not too much to ask to remember the values, especially since you can look them up during the game by pressing H. Most of the time, you see the enemies which can spot you. and if you wouldnt see them, then it wouldnt matter^^

Some people have issues to remember values. Not only game related, overall on life too. Not me ofc, I'm an opposite. 

[UKMD]
Players
139 posts
3,162 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, DFens_666 sagte:

I think this is less about remembering valus and more about displaying them in easily accessible ways

I like to have both surface and air detectability turned on at all times not because I can't remember them but because it is just easier and faster to glance at the minimap and check the circles than it is to look at the ships around you and cross reference their distance to you with your ranges

more of a quality of life thing

and in that regard I see absolutely no reason to not include smoke firing range in the ranges you can display on your minimap

[THESO]
Players
4,080 posts

Minimap by Autospy (part of Aslain modpack) has the "firing from smoke" range displayed and configurable on minimap.

Its very good ... you can set each circle, fill it witch color and transparency and set the circle border (when you press and hold CTRL a little gearbox is displayed over the minimap where you can configure every display of a range there is in the game).

One of the features WG should focus ... but constantly ignores it (no idea why, since the mod is out for years already).

• Cool 2

Players
1,712 posts
18,593 battles

It would be nice to have it as a option to select on the mini map simply for convenience, I have to remember to press H at the start of a battle because I just don't keep those numbers in my head.

As for drive through fish and chips weirdly I know of one outside Bournemouth 

• Cool 1

Players
482 posts
8,545 battles
3 hours ago, nambr9 said:

Minimap by Autospy (part of Aslain modpack) has the "firing from smoke" range displayed and configurable on minimap.

Its very good ... you can set each circle, fill it witch color and transparency and set the circle border (when you press and hold CTRL a little gearbox is displayed over the minimap where you can configure every display of a range there is in the game).

One of the features WG should focus ... but constantly ignores it (no idea why, since the mod is out for years already).

cheers i'll give that a try looks exactly what i am looking for, i have no idea why certain things mods cover the game doesn't........working as intended i guess

Players
482 posts
8,545 battles
7 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

Some people have issues to remember values. Not only game related, overall on life too. Not me ofc, I'm an opposite. 

not so much about the memory but having an option that can be turned on and off in the minimap for those that might find it useful

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
4,080 posts
26 minutes ago, illy said:

cheers i'll give that a try looks exactly what i am looking for, i have no idea why certain things mods cover the game doesn't........working as intended i guess

You definitely should try them out ... if you don't like them, you can always go back to vanilla.

I use many mods and most are just cosmetics ... some are "debatable", but they are all 100% legit.

Besides of the mini map mod I also have to use the following:

-  side panels by Hakabase v3 (in section screen panels - player panels with additional info)

- more visible range finder (in crosshair section, paints the numbers to other more visible colors)

- torpedo crosshair for plane squadrons (in crosshair section,  changes to nicer crosshair for torpedo planes)

-  ship movement indicator (over target markers section, tells you weather the target is moving forward, reversing or is stationary)

-  detected icons (battle GUI customization - this ine is a must for me, since the vanilla icons are barely visible to me ... I use "I'ts a trap")

- mini map by Autospy (under the mini map mods - explained in previous post)

- quick demount signals (Port mods - adds a "demount all" button to signal page)

- more visible trained commander perks (Port mods - makes the selected skills more visible)

- shells and tracers (on screen battle display - type 17, colors the shells and tracers)

- custom radio location marker (on screen battle display  -  colors the RL marker)

- alt hud navigator (on screen battle display  -  adds a navigator to the screen)

- smoke indicator (on screen battle display  -  more visible smoke counter)

The modpack:

https://aslain.com/

The only downside of the modpack is that you have to keep the version up to date.

Each WG patch or minipatch deletes the mod folder, so you have to wait for Aslain to repack it when moders update their mods.

Good luck!

Players
1,697 posts
14,831 battles

Speaking of maps, could we have a feature that detects when you're far away from any objectives and automatically enlarges the map to cover most of your screen? Bonus points for an annoying sound effect playing when it happens as well.

• Funny 1

[THESO]
Players
4,080 posts

Joke aside .... In the past you could expand the map to half of your screen.

I don't know if it was part of the mini map mod, but now you cant do that anymore.

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,540 battles
15 hours ago, illy said:

Fair enough, why not? :cap_like: And while at it, make it so that at the end of each game, we could have a minimap screen showing the locations of all surviving ships in both teams to all the players (including the enemy). Just so we could finally know where the heck that one last blasted DD had been hiding all the while... :cap_look:

• Funny 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,836 posts
8,982 battles
9 hours ago, MagicMooby said:

I think this is less about remembering valus and more about displaying them in easily accessible ways

I like to have both surface and air detectability turned on at all times not because I can't remember them but because it is just easier and faster to glance at the minimap and check the circles than it is to look at the ships around you and cross reference their distance to you with your ranges

more of a quality of life thing

and in that regard I see absolutely no reason to not include smoke firing range in the ranges you can display on your minimap

Isnt that kinda... cluttered?

I used to have AA ranges enabled pre-rework, but found it to to be confusing because of too many circles. Air detectability... well doesnt matter too much to me. Planes are too fast so it doesnt really matter. When playing DD, i always check at the start of the battle so i can try to avoid the planes, because 100m makes the difference. But for that, the minimap isnt accurate enough imo.

Same for smoke firing. I think you need the exact distance to the target to be on the safe side. Even shooting when the target is not in your smoke firing range can get you spotted, if he is moving closer to you.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
4,080 posts
2 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

I used to have AA ranges enabled pre-rework, but found it to to be confusing because of too many circles. Air detectability... well doesnt matter too much to me. Planes are too fast so it doesnt really matter. When playing DD, i always check at the start of the battle so i can try to avoid the planes, because 100m makes the difference. But for that, the minimap isnt accurate enough imo.

Same for smoke firing. I think you need the exact distance to the target to be on the safe side. Even shooting when the target is not in your smoke firing range can get you spotted, if he is moving closer to you.

Your AA range or your secondary range is clutter.

While your detection ranges are not by any means :)

[UKMD]
Players
139 posts
3,162 battles
Vor 4 Stunden, DFens_666 sagte:

I don't think it's cluttered

after a while you just get used to it

the fact that both detection ranges use the same color/line doesn't bother me for example since I roughly know the ranges and since the inner circle is always air detect

personally I just find it easier to judge distances based on the minimap

one look and you immediately see which of the 5 enemy ships keeps you spotted, or how much longer those rocket aircraft going after your friendly DD are gonna spot you

for me that is just much quicker than checking the distances individually

but in the end it is just personal preference

Sign in to follow this