You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Yamato_sama

Albemarle yuk!

22 comments in this topic

[OSWEG]
Players
25 posts
6,184 battles

God awful ship I'm sorry! Really makes me questions if I want to grind this line any further..  I'm not saying I am a good captain in this ship, I am not, now we got that out of the way =)

Suggestions for heavy cruisers? Hmm so you wanted to create a line that could go in and out of combat and dealing damage within 13-15km or something like this? Well I can get in and I can get out but the risk/reward is to low when dpm is really awful?

GL HF!

[TL-BG]
Players
31 posts
11,145 battles

The entire line is like that. The 9 and 10 have arrmor but only on the sides , so you have to be constantly angled or you get instant delete. The problem with the line is that they have OK guns on terrible ships.
They are to big (massive supperstructure) , below average manuvarability and low front and back armor with citadel behind it.  In Alberarle , I'm getting deleted from the most rediculass angles you can emagine...  If there wasnt that mission for tokens , I would of sold it already and skip to the next.

• Cool 3

[MAS-X]
Players
383 posts
9,154 battles

I think i was very lucky with the British heavy cruisers event

I gained for free the tier 5 and 7 at the very beginning with the permanent camo, and next week i Will gain the tier 6 London.

But the Albemarle... I am playing it only cause i must to gain tokens.

That ship must be bugged or something, is hard to win even in co op battles against tier 6 bots.

First co op game i played, i was at full life, and exploded at the FIRST hit i received like a baloon.

I thought it was just bad luck, tried again, another co-op... And got killed by 2 or 3 shots.

Seriously, the SMOLENSK is more resistant than the Albemarle.

With the Smolensk, in co-op games i can manage to survive a torpedo charge against a bot krugfrust from over 10 km.

With the Albemarle, i fear the artillery of dd bots...

• Funny 1

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,171 posts
6,295 battles
On 2/27/2020 at 10:58 AM, mowtow said:

The entire line is like that. The 9 and 10 have arrmor but only on the sides , so you have to be constantly angled or you get instant delete. The problem with the line is that they have OK guns on terrible ships.
They are to big (massive supperstructure) , below average manuvarability and low front and back armor with citadel behind it.  In Alberarle , I'm getting deleted from the most rediculass angles you can emagine...  If there wasnt that mission for tokens , I would of sold it already and skip to the next.

Not even your sides are safe, at any angle. Atleast not from BBs with 380 mm guns or higher. Albermarle has a very strange looking armor layout with a raised citadel in the middle, which is fine because its 152 mm thick, so it can bounce if angled. However it has a step in the middle so anything that can overmatch the 25 mm plating is likely to hit the step, which is flat, and thus arm and penetrate, and also citadel.

This is similar to Mogami but its much bigger and higher up in Albemarle.

In essence, its a garbage line I wont spend time grinding, unfortunately.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,557 posts
20,107 battles
7 hours ago, Floofz said:

Not even your sides are safe, at any angle. Atleast not from BBs with 380 mm guns or higher. Albermarle has a very strange looking armor layout with a raised citadel in the middle, which is fine because its 152 mm thick, so it can bounce if angled. However it has a step in the middle so anything that can overmatch the 25 mm plating is likely to hit the step, which is flat, and thus arm and penetrate, and also citadel.

This is similar to Mogami but its much bigger and higher up in Albemarle.

In essence, its a garbage line I wont spend time grinding, unfortunately.

The hull of the Albemarle/Cheshire is the hull of the Neptune without smoke. And Neptune is not known for being armored.

[MIDG]
[MIDG]
Players
44 posts
7,180 battles

the entire line is  bad, sure they have really good fire chance and AA capability but low armour on key part of the ship, low fire rate [even too much on T9-10], crap alpha and even more crappy fire range killed the line.

• Cool 3

[4_0_4]
Players
7,589 posts
13,795 battles
20 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

Just free exp into Drake which is way better. 

Why tho? The Albemarle isn't so bad. I really liked her tbh.

While there are other ships, who properly do a better job (Atago), I do not consider her to be skip-trash.

[MORIA]
Players
7,341 posts
36,547 battles
2 hours ago, Zemeritt said:

Why tho? The Albemarle isn't so bad. I really liked her tbh.

While there are other ships, who properly do a better job (Atago), I do not consider her to be skip-trash.

Its a Neptune with 25 mm bow and aft and worse heal. Nothing more. Ah and less torps. Just nah. 

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

The Awful mess, is a sh!t ship, it needs an armour buff especially on the bow, if they’d made it tankier WG wouldn’t need to tell us how to play it’s sister (Cheshire); hide behind islands and spam HE, FFS how many of us have moaned about the state of the game and HE spamming, Russian rationale or lack of, again !. 

If I’m in Hipper, Eugen, Roon or Hindy I think easy kill, when in awful mess I think FFS.   WG buff now !!!.

[4_0_4]
Players
7,589 posts
13,795 battles
18 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

Its a Neptune with 25 mm bow and aft and worse heal. Nothing more. Ah and less torps. Just nah. 

Can't say I think she's that awful. Sure, she isn't easy to play ala long range HE ships ala Martel/Chapa.

[MORIA]
Players
7,341 posts
36,547 battles
1 hour ago, Zemeritt said:

Can't say I think she's that awful. Sure, she isn't easy to play ala long range HE ships ala Martel/Chapa.

More of an island hugger. You don't have the range to do so long range spam. Yes, the spotter plane helps you but it's time limited ofc. 

[4_0_4]
Players
7,589 posts
13,795 battles
6 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

More of an island hugger. You don't have the range to do so long range spam. Yes, the spotter plane helps you but it's time limited ofc. 

Nah, played her more like an hit and run ship, despite her not having the best maneuverability, it's amazing how often you can use that in order to put in a few shots just to dodge out again with that little range.

[TL-BG]
Players
31 posts
11,145 battles

Drake and Goliath have 1 redeeming quality - the shells. Those 2 ships have the biggest HE pen in the game (only the BBs have more). With IFHE those guys are the only ones that can pen Kremlin from everywrare (58 mm pen base and 76 with IFHE). + Their fire chanse is ridiculous , I think only Smolensk can rival them on amount of fires per game.  The problem is in order to get to those 2 ships , you have go thrue one of the worst lines in the game.  Albermarle is defenatly the worst T8 ship in the game - just skip it , its not worth to loose your nerves on it. 

Players
660 posts

Played them all either live or on test and the entire line is total "Meh".

Hard work to get a result that is much easier and more fun to get in other ships.
They are not "bad ships" per se, but they are not fun and they are not good.

• Cool 2

[ROY]
Players
71 posts
11,509 battles

Devonshire was good, Surrey was ok, but Albermarle is horrible!! Even a T6 BB can devast you. No matter how you get angled, it is unplayable, you take huge damages at almost every hits.

It is by far the worst ship i ever played. I think i should stop here the branch.

Spending free xp was a pure waste.

In a T10 game, it does worth to play, better suicide (to gain 2 minutes) and launch an other game

• Cool 1

Players
463 posts
7,123 battles
On 3/2/2020 at 1:03 AM, MacArthur92 said:

Just free exp into Drake which is way better. 

Had two games in Drake got deleted while angled at start of both games. Back to port sold it:Smile_izmena:. The game is difficult enough without that nonsense. Fine if you have the RNG and patience, but not for me.

[YARRR]
[YARRR]
Beta Tester
76 posts

And guess what I just got and played a few games in.  I quite liked the Surrey, but this is slow to accelerate (though high top end for a RN cruiser), steers like a brick even with the steering mod, but what has got me really riled is the gun accuracy - it has none - shells seem to go straight but few actually hit home.  This will be one painful grind.

[BOATY]
Players
88 posts
6,316 battles

On 3/1/2020 at 2:40 PM, Aragathor said:

The hull of the Albemarle/Cheshire is the hull of the Neptune without smoke. And Neptune is not known for being armored.

The core problem the Albermarle has, in a similar vein to the Neptune a Minotaur, is that raised central section of the citadel. As the casemate has poor armour, if you under-angle against heavy cruisers at shorter ranges they can citadel you through the casemate; battleships can simply overmatch your casemate and fly straight into the raised section of citadel despite the ship having a reasonably strong deck.

[ROY]
Players
71 posts
11,509 battles

Decided to grind Drake, sold Albermarle which is definitly a barrel to explode. No matter i got angled or not, i eat citadel from everywhere, maybe it was just bad luck.

Surprisingly i find the Drake to be very good. It is very solid for a cruiser with a real armor (when angled it is even a tank cruiser) and have a very good fire power, especialy with HE. A very good surprise, let's see the Goliath then..

Beta Tester, Players
708 posts

The tactic is Face-tanking, place your self next to en island close to a Cap and only use your Frontal cannons, I did this with my Drake for 244k exp and it works. Im trying to do the same with the next one but ..... 25mm front armor on a Tir 10 cruiser is just to low. I only played 3 matches in the tir 10 tho