Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Air_Cheese

Should you "return to port" when you see an unbalanced matchmaking

14 comments in this topic

[PRPR]
Players
53 posts
12,138 battles

mm.thumb.png.c1efab510944f754ef179ea73d5189a6.png

WG never wants to touch performance-based matchmaking (or they have touched), meanwhile, WG definitely punishes those "return to port". 

I play for a few years and I am seeing these obviously unbalanced matchmaking more than before.

I have been quite patient in this game and I never press "return to port", any idea how long it will last.

Will you? or have you?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[NWP]
Players
1,600 posts
13,227 battles

NO

Don't go back to port. Stay and play the game. Going back to port is the most disrespectful thing you could do.

How many times you have been on the good team?  Statistically the same.

Just uninstall the monitor. It doesn't help you at all.

• Cool 10

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
13 minutes ago, Air_Cheese said:

I have been quite patient in this game and I never press "return to port", any idea how long it will last.

Do it, and often, and you will get WG's reward directed straight at you.

(I mean if you have to ask wtf is the game coming to?)

• Funny 1

[BOATY]
Alpha Tester
3,293 posts
13,080 battles
23 minutes ago, Saltface said:

NO

Don't go back to port. Stay and play the game. Going back to port is the most disrespectful thing you could do.

How many times you have been on the good team?  Statistically the same.

Just uninstall the monitor. It doesn't help you at all.

While I agree with you in principle, I certainly do not think it is disrespectful in any way whatsoever. The respect part is highly subjective - those going into games in fail divs, with bot like behaviour, etc or some idiot in a tier 10 with a tier 1 mentality can all also be seen as disrepectful...in which case I often feel like leaving. The only reason not to leave is because you lose the chance to make points for yourself...nothing more, nothing less. There is no reciprocated respect in carrying mindless fools around game after game....as for the mm, nothing to do there, it's the russian version of a fair fight and WG wont change a thing.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
359 posts
9,754 battles

No, never quit to port even if it does seem to be a forlorn hope.  The number of times I've seen a team at 53% against one at 49% and the 49% wins is higher than one would expect.

In saying that, looking at the whole picture of that battle in the OP, your teams average damage is pretty miserable so I suspect it didn't go well.  That is also one of the largest gaps I can remember seeing, it is amazing, although probably not statistically, how often there is less than 1% between the teams.

i do think MM is fun but should really be taken with a pinch of salt as it doesn't tell the whole story, some people work well with different ships, a couple of good DDs spotting can  get your team an early start and a lead can make other people panic, others may have high damage numbers but are they perhaps in Smolensk, Thunderer or a Kutusov, all ships that are strong but rely on decent teams more than others do.

i suppose the thing to take from it is, you never know how it will turn out, and winning while being the 49%, or even the 46% feels sweet.

• Cool 1

Players
7,335 posts
11,668 battles
42 minutes ago, Air_Cheese said:

Will you? or have you?

Why would anyone? To hurt yourself? give you a 100 % guarenteed loss? Maybe you will be responsible for the loss? And you shoot your own foot because you will lose credits and gain no XP.

And general: anyone who does this once: coop for 2 months. Do it a second time: have your account deleted by WG. No ifs or buts.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
1,600 posts
13,227 battles
6 minutes ago, Shaka_D said:

it is disrespectful in any way whatsoever.

I agree with all you wrote.

However, I would like to point out that you should respect yourself more than you respect the others.

You carry the mindless fools around game after game not for the fools' sake. But for your own sake.

• Cool 2

[BOATY]
Alpha Tester
3,293 posts
13,080 battles
3 minutes ago, Saltface said:

I agree with all you wrote.

However, I would like to point out that you should respect yourself more than you respect the others.

You carry the mindless fools around game after game not for the fools' sake. But for your own sake.

Yes, but this has less to do with respect and more to do with necessity based on a desire to win..:Smile-_tongue:

[TOXIC]
Alpha Tester
2,230 posts
8,043 battles
52 minutes ago, Air_Cheese said:

Will you? or have you?

No, but I do think that everyone running MM monitor should be banned from playing the game.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
4,046 posts

The question the OP asks is a prime example of why public stats are not a good thing.

There is no excuse for letting your team down one ship. Sometimes life isn't fair or in your favor.

• Cool 2

Players
7,335 posts
11,668 battles

I mean, you can extend the question of @Air_Cheese from randoms to clanwars or ranked. Does you clanwars team leave, when you face a better clan? you can run mm monitor there aswell. Or you straight out know the names of the better clans. I mean, arent you wasting your time there aswell? And in ranked? you get teams like that in ranked aswell - so why bother right?

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
345 posts
9,802 battles

I don't run any mods - learned long ago in WoT that knowing the teams WN8/WR was the surest way to give up before you even started. 

Remove the stats mod, and just assume everyone is a complete tomato (statistically they will be anyway). 

• Cool 1

[CN_]
Moderator, WoWs Wiki Team, Freibeuter
2,482 posts
7,310 battles

Thread closed.

Intentionally leaving a game while your ship has not been sunk and the game is not over is a rule violation and will result in you getting pink and/or orange. If you continue with this behaviour you may also receive an ingame ban.

Most people don't believe that you can actually get a ban for this but believe me, you will get one.

And keep in mind, advertising rule breaking behaviour is also a violation of forum rules.

• Cool 7