Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Thracen

Anyone else really feeling the power creep these days?

20 comments in this topic

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,394 battles

With the amount of time I put into the game I'm always at least 2 or 3 lines behind. 

Many a time I would reach a tier 10 a month or two after the usual nerfs.

It has reached a point where I feel a lot of ships simply don't have a place anymore.

Why play the german dds over the brits?

Why play the german bbs over the Russians?

Why play the Russian dds when there are the french?

Obviously there is more nuance than that. However I think the general argument is a depressingly strong one. I wouldn't mind this power creep but not only do you feel underpowered in your own play in old ship lines but you have the best and brightest pushing down on you hard to make it an even worse experience.

The number of ships that have their shells shatter harmlessly on russian bbs now. Or have their armour lol penned by the huge number of much larger calibre guns around these days.

It just makes me a little sad that I missed out on all the fun I could have had with all these now redundant ship lines. 

Such a waste. 

• Cool 12

[JRM]
Players
6,579 posts
24,823 battles

Well some old lines have their utility relatively untouched (US Heavy cruisers, IJN torp DDs) but yes the powercreep is a thing esp in BBs and even those ships suffer for it, German DDs never really shone TBH

• Cool 1

Players
831 posts
11,611 battles

Easy solution comrade: Spend your free xp on unlocking T10 right when a new line is introduced. Don't have that much free xp? Don't worry, for just some doubloons you may convert some. Don't have doubloons? Don't worry, just have a look at our premium shop... :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,394 battles

I thought US heavy cruisers were about AA? God knows that system is now a mystery lost to time!

Ijn torp boats suffered horrendous when cvs were reworked, so much so that they had to stop cvs from being able to spot torps?

Throw in the increase in radar, hydro and french BBs that will out turn and stop most cruisers and IJN torps boats are not happy customers. 

Not to mention the number of dds out there now that are much stealthier than previous iterations and have hydro to boot!

Oh don't get me started on premiums, my tirpitz secondary spec is not a happy ship these days either :D

[-TPF-]
Players
3,925 posts
16,171 battles
5 minutes ago, Thracen said:

Ijn torp boats suffered horrendous when cvs were reworked, so much so that they had to stop cvs from being able to spot torps?

However it seems that the Shimakaze is still very popular at Tier X.....

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,394 battles

Yup, Shima is still popular, ain't exactly evidence that she hasn't been hit by what I'm talking about though.

Shima.PNG

[JRM]
Players
6,579 posts
24,823 battles
41 minutes ago, Thracen said:

I thought US heavy cruisers were about AA? God knows that system is now a mystery lost to time!

Throw in the increase in radar, hydro and french BBs that will out turn and stop most cruisers and IJN torps boats are not happy customers. 

Not to mention the number of dds out there now that are much stealthier than previous iterations and have hydro to boot!

Oh don't get me started on premiums, my tirpitz secondary spec is not a happy ship these days either :D

US CAs principal role was close cap support with radar and AA (ok this part is obviously f-ed up) and they still work in that role (we are talking T8+ ofc)

IJN torp boats was spotting and area denial via torps and capping when situation allows and they still excel in that role, they are no less off then hybrid DDs are with all the CVs and radar around, long range gunboats ofc are the least affected by those

There is as of current ONE line that is as stealthy and has hydro and that is the RN DD line, and those ships have their drawbacks as well

Tirpitz works as it always worked (or not), I joined the game just about after the KM BBs were added and they never really worked past T8 and when not top tier, the "get focused to death by fire" theme was ever an issue for any full sec build even at T8 let alone higher, 155 mogami, zao or desmo were and still are more then capable of burning you down, you dont need Smolensk for that feat

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,165 posts
10,740 battles

When I started playing this game there was specific ships for specific tasks, now, there's more ships to do the same tasks.

When I starting playing there were certain ships that were kings in a given line, they could inspire fear facing them for the high fire chance or high DPM or something else.

Now there are just t10 ships, and some of those ships  lost the crown.

Yes, you have more to choose from but at the same time we don't have only two lines anymore.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,394 battles

I used to be able to be much more aggressive in the ole tirpitz, at least in part because teammates were more likely to go with me and also because I could rely on the bow armour and scare away bbs with the torps. Back in the day I only had to worry about a Yammy coming through the nose, now it is the yammy, the musashi, thunderer, ohio, georgia and probably some more too boot? ( I don't know the french or russian lines too well)

French bbs can reverse so fast you simply can't realistically charge them, HE BBs were not a thing back then ethier and they not only have massive alpha on angled targets they also set fires AND strip both secondaries and AA while doing so.  One or two cruisers spamming away back then was not such a big thing since you could force them to wiggle at least with your shells and the dpm was nowhere near the levels new cruiser lines (and DD lines!) can now reach.

Sure I can't expect wargaming to keep so many ships in balance, but when the viability is so obviously harmed how about a bit of a credit or exp boost to make them less punishing to play? No need to sink dev resources or testing time, just a nice acknowledgment of "Yeah these ships are now a bit harder, enjoy the extra rewards."

Wargaming knows ship variety is a great part of the game, I just wish they would preserve the ships we have a little better as opposed to ploughing on into new realms of laughable imbalance?

• Cool 2

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,924 posts
19,751 battles

You can't feel powercreep if your primary class is broken as :etc_swear::Smile_trollface:

• Funny 4

[ENUF_]
Beta Tester
303 posts
17,013 battles
1 hour ago, Thracen said:

I used to be able to be much more aggressive in the ole tirpitz, at least in part because teammates were more likely to go with me and also because I could rely on the bow armour and scare away bbs with the torps. Back in the day I only had to worry about a Yammy coming through the nose, now it is the yammy, the musashi, thunderer, ohio, georgia and probably some more too boot?

Only Yamato and Musashi (and Shima 2.0) can overmatch Tirpitz. 457 mm is not enough to overmatch 32 mm.

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,350 posts
10,110 battles
5 hours ago, Thracen said:

I used to be able to be much more aggressive

The game changed yes. I used to be able to do 200k dmg in the zao without ever getting spotted, hooray stealth firing! 

But does that mean that the old ships are obsolete now? Imo no. The research bureau made me grind old lines again. Some ships I hadn't touched in years. Sure, I went back with way more experience than when I grinded them for the first time but nonetheless they are still viable. 

Players
2,865 posts
19,198 battles

I also crawl through the silver lines at snail pase, and usually unlock OP tier 10 ships only after they get nerfed for the first time, which usually means they get over nerfed by then. I don't feel a power creep, but I do feel nausea over many issues this game developed, much like WOT developed them: gameplay getting stale due to vanishing of specific roles of classes, too many variations that even the playing field into a simple grind, removing character of certain classes because the players of the laziest classes in the game needs pampering vs. intelligent players that get tools nerfed or taken away. Catering to lowest denominator skill and tactical levels of a newly grown commmunity that don't play the game for it's specific niche but just for its shootemup features, catering to instant gratification junkies, catering to 3 min round junks, an avelanche of custom currencies and boosters, a heavy focus on gambling over core gameplay, omg I can keep going forever.

Yeah. I'm just nauseous.

• Cool 4

Players
8,187 posts
9,087 battles
4 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

You can't feel powercreep if your primary class is broken as :etc_swear::Smile_trollface:

Just wait till Enterprise gets powercreeped by T8 RU CVs.

• Funny 2

[QARTV]
Players
455 posts
9,095 battles

Power creep is immense and it is very obvious sign that WG can not and will not balance anything, they just want people to grind and people will grind and WG will profit from it, that is how it works. 

[MORIA]
Players
7,348 posts
36,678 battles

Well the German DDs aren't exactly like British ones, they have way better reload on torps and crappy HE. The hydro is also more aggressive than the British. 

German BBs still good with their secondaries and with 0.9.2 ifhe and pen changes - no more ifhe on GK. This will help to set more fires and pen stuff in same time. 

The powercreep that I agree with you is with Russian DDs. The Khaba line. Cause the Grozo has nothing to do with this (it's more of a hybrid) . Kleber is better than Khaba in every way except the heal. Khaba torps are brutally bad in usability, it's slower, takes AP BB pen, has worse concealment and maneuverability. In terms of CV Vs DD Khaba can live longer (heal) and a bit of flak that Kleber doesn't have. Even though Kleber capping and torping capabilities were limited it's still can torp being concealed and set better ambush between Islands with better torping angles (unlike the clumsy Khaba).

Kleber is just more fun to play having more tools. Khaba needs 8km torps from Tashkent and buffed rudder to be less frustrating to play. 

• Cool 1

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,111 posts
21,565 battles

Power creep makes them hard cash, it is here to stay forever. At least the players are worse than ever so you can outplay them even with outdated ships. The old lines aren't obsolete, they offer you the opportunity to play this game at a higher difficulty. :cap_viking:

Once you become an experienced player and accumulate tons of flags and camos you can grind out new lines in a couple of days or if you get very lucky with boxes, even in one day.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this