Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Gnolfus

IFHE Rework - Armor

27 comments in this topic

[CATCH]
Players
76 posts
2,909 battles

Sorry if this information is easily available somewhere else, but will the armor of tier 8-9 heavy cruisers be affected in any?

Wondering if I should keep the Mogami or not, great cruiser except that its armor is actually the worst of the line since the tier 5, Furutaka.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,130 posts
8,742 battles

Currently on the PTS these are the values:

49ac3a2c2a.png

So the Mogami should according to this be resistant to 380 mm guns after the patch, but still just as squishy versus everything else.

Players
222 posts
12,144 battles

Have you considered 203's with DE, flags and just watching the world burn?

Sure your DPM goes down, but you can pen 32mm plating without the need for IFHE and you a base fire chance of 17% compared to 5% with 155's with IFHE skill. Alternatively, the new 1/5 pen of 155 with IFHE will let you pen 38mm plating.

Not sure what WG will do about the armour of the ship given it crosses over their threshold. Not sure the additional armour will really help it too much anyway, since you're normally working at range and plunging fire of even 380mm will go straight through. It can't not help it though.

Players
190 posts
7,953 battles

I have a question as well, I don't have much knowledge about all the armors and pens of all the ships in the game. I'd like to know which (mostly light cruisers) should still take IFHE after the upcoming rework, and which ones who should have it now can drop it. For example I have IFHE on my: De Grasse, Duca D'aosta, Perth, Belfast, Helena, Wichita, Bayard, Dmitri Donskoi. Which ones don't need it after the rework, or do they still need it?

[CATCH]
Players
76 posts
2,909 battles
30 minutes ago, Commander_Ericson said:

Sure your DPM goes down, but you can pen 32mm plating without the need for IFHE and you a base fire chance of 17% compared to 5% with 155's with IFHE skill. Alternatively, the new 1/5 pen of 155 with IFHE will let you pen 38mm plating.

Not sure what WG will do about the armour of the ship given it crosses over their threshold. Not sure the additional armour will really help it too much anyway, since you're normally working at range and plunging fire of even 380mm will go straight through. It can't not help it though.

I play Mogami with 203s, as I cba to respec the captain to IFHE, that would also mean dropping CE.

Furutaka, Aoba and Myoki all have 32mm decks or higher, they are actually pretty tanky cruisers for their tier. Plunging fire will pen the deck, but at medium range getting citadeled while angled is really rare and you bounce a lot of stuff. Their citadels are also smaller.

The Mogami eats citadels from any angle at any time.

Wondering if they're going to implement 30mm decks and upper belts on tier 8-9 CAs as well.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,979 posts
7,359 battles
11 minutes ago, Mrs_Ragdoll said:

I have a question as well, I don't have much knowledge about all the armors and pens of all the ships in the game. I'd like to know which (mostly light cruisers) should still take IFHE after the upcoming rework, and which ones who should have it now can drop it. For example I have IFHE on my: De Grasse, Duca D'aosta, Perth, Belfast, Helena, Wichita, Bayard, Dmitri Donskoi. Which ones don't need it after the rework, or do they still need it?

IFHE will remains mandatory on 152 and 180mm sadly. Because relying on fire RNG to deal any damage is pure sh*t, and you want to have reliable DPM.

Sadly the tier 6-7 won't be able to penetrate tier 8 battleships anymore, but IFHE will remains mandatory for them to deal with battleships of tier 6 and 7...

• Cool 1

Players
7,111 posts
245 battles
40 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

IFHE will remains mandatory on 152 and 180mm sadly. Because relying on fire RNG to deal any damage is pure sh*t, and you want to have reliable DPM.

Sadly the tier 6-7 won't be able to penetrate tier 8 battleships anymore, but IFHE will remains mandatory for them to deal with battleships of tier 6 and 7...

ahhh...

that makes my algerie sad :/

Sorry meant to say la galissonaire, im wondering if algerie will get shafted with this anyways.

• Cool 1

[HAMAR]
Players
376 posts
29 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Sadly? No that's the good part. Buff to so many great T8 Battleships like Tirpitz and Massa :Smile_Default:

Puts some T7 Cruisers in their right place.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 10

[UTW]
8,979 posts
7,359 battles
36 minutes ago, Puffin_ said:

Sadly? No that's the good part. Buff to so many great T8 Battleships like Tirpitz and Massa :Smile_Default:

Battleships should receives nerf, not buff. While mid-tier cruiser deserves buff, as a good half of them are barely more than glorified target for battleships.

And if you think Massachusetts and Tirpitz of all ship need a buff, I guess you're part of the crowd of 43%WR players that never bothered to learn how to play efficiently.

• Cool 8

[NECRO]
Players
1,584 posts

I wonder if the 80mm/40 3rd Year Type naval guns on the Mikasa and Umikaze, which are actually british 76mm guns, who currently penetrate only 12mm will get an increased penetration of 13mm after the IFHE rework, or if I have to skill their commanders with IFHE to penetrate those contemporary DDs who have 13mm armor that seriously limits the joys of incineration...

• Cool 1

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
1 ora fa, Puffin_ ha scritto:

Tirpitz and Massa

Well, you don’t seem to have great knowledge of those ships: Tirpitz has 50mm deck, so IFHE rework won’t impact her survivability, while Massa has 38mm, so it will farmed to death by 152mm armed cruisers with 39mm of HE-pen... 

Edit: also Tirpitz has 380mm guns, so she will struggle against 27mm cruiser plating proliferation. 

• Cool 1

Players
190 posts
7,953 battles
1 hour ago, ShinGetsu said:

Thanks for your reply. Sadly my De Grasse will even suck more then, because she is already a bad fire starter with the current IFHE. It will barely start fires after the rework then  :(

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
2 hours ago, Mrs_Ragdoll said:

IFHE remain necessary for all CLs, if you wish to damage battleships. Tier 6 and 7 become hard spot, as they require IFHE to damage higher tiered cruisers and lose ability to damage 32mm plating, ergo can't do damage with HE to T8+ battleships except superstructure

• Cool 3

Players
8,199 posts
9,087 battles
2 hours ago, Commander_Ericson said:

At that point, play Atago or Ibuki. Or Myoko. No need to keep Mogami, the other three all are better at this except same thing and better tier for tier. There's a reason 203 Mogami isn't played much.

• Cool 3

[LUZ1]
Players
680 posts
11,622 battles

It really makes me sad that such a phantasy characteristic as shell plating is such a central thing in this game :etc_red_button:

Players
7,111 posts
245 battles
3 hours ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

At that point, play Atago or Ibuki. Or Myoko. No need to keep Mogami, the other three all are better at this except same thing and better tier for tier. There's a reason 203 Mogami isn't played much.

what makes the mogami worse? i am at the aoba so was wondering if shes worth keeping or not.

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,168 posts
10,741 battles
5 hours ago, Puffin_ said:

Wrong.

you are so wrong.

It's not only cruisers that will receive this major nerf, along with them, every BB that has up to 380 mm guns will be subject to this major nerf.

I'm talking about German BBs and French BBs and some others like GC, e.g.

I have 60 ships in my port, after this changes I will have 1 ship that, at first glance, will not be affected.

FDG with 406s.

1 out of 60, at best.

Tirpitz will be going down

Players
7,111 posts
245 battles
13 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

Wrong.

you are so wrong.

It's not only cruisers that will receive this major nerf, along with them, every BB that has up to 380 mm guns will be subject to this major nerf.

I have 60 ships in my port, after this changes I will have 1 ship that, at first glance, will not be affected.

FDG with 406s.

1 out of 60, at best.

seems like jean bart will be indirectly nerfed then.

shame really, currently going up the french bb line atm, guess ill have to focus mostly on AP due to the smoll guns they have.

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,168 posts
10,741 battles
6 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

seems like jean bart will be indirectly nerfed then.

shame really, currently going up the french bb line atm, guess ill have to focus mostly on AP due to the smoll guns they have.

I don't know what to shoot anymore.

AP will bounce HE will pen but no fires.

My guess will be AP vs BBs and HE vs everything else.

• Cool 1

Players
8,199 posts
9,087 battles
4 hours ago, CptBarney said:

what makes the mogami worse? i am at the aoba so was wondering if shes worth keeping or not.

Mogami has no armour worth talking about. The guns also have no dpm.

Compared to Ibuki, the Ibuki has better dpm, a 30 mm deck and a repair party. Also a spotter plane.

Compared to Myoko, the Myoko has better dpm and a 32 mm deck, just worse concealment.

Atago has barely worse dpm (1s worse reload), but better concealment, better torp angles, 41 mm deck and a heal.

• Cool 2

[UTW]
8,979 posts
7,359 battles
4 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

Wrong.

you are so wrong.

FDG with 406s.

1 out of 60, at best.

You're completely wrong. The 27mm plating will be only on the central part of the heavy cruisers, and on the deck of light cruiser. That means you can STILL overmatch the bow and citadel from front any cruiser in your range... well, besides the german and US one.

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,168 posts
10,741 battles
6 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

You're completely wrong. The 27mm plating will be only on the central part of the heavy cruisers, and on the deck of light cruiser. That means you can STILL overmatch the bow and citadel from front any cruiser in your range... well, besides the german and US one.

well, we will see about that.

One thing is in theory, other thing is the practical application.

[CAIN]
Players
4,497 posts
18,963 battles

The Tl;Dr of the IFHE rework is: WG put the same amount of thought into it as into the CV rework.

0/10, do not need. 

[PIKES]
Players
404 posts
18 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

And if you think Massachusetts and Tirpitz of all ship need a buff, I guess you're part of the crowd of 43%WR players that never bothered to learn how to play efficiently.

I am safe, I belong to the 40% WR :cap_fainting:

[PIKES]
Players
404 posts
13 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

I don't know what to shoot anymore.

AP will bounce HE will pen but no fires.

My guess will be AP vs BBs and HE vs everything else.

Playing with a BB?

When I play a CL, I try HE against DD and BB, and try to citadel CL/CB medium /close range with AP. Finally torps when available.:Smile_child:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this