You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Munchboii

The concerning direction that Directives are taking

46 comments in this topic

[UK-RN]
Players
102 posts
2,929 battles

I am very concerned by the gradual increase in difficulty of directives and their respective missions. 

Royal Navy CA part 2 has missions which I find to be so ridiculous that I have already given up. For example:

3 dev strikes in ONE GAME

25 citadels/flooding in T6+carriers only (British CVs good luck)

And if you complete these obj after grinding all your social life away, then you will be awarded with ONE, yes just one bonus flag. Pathetic! We do not even get bonus Royal tokens. At least in the french commander event, we were given 20 or so French tokens for each mission completed. WG are forcing us as a player base to have to rely on getting every single daily mission token. Which means you are not allowed a social life and you must devote at a minimum 4 hours per day to warships if you want to get any top tier rewards like the British commander for free. Otherwise, you must pay for it by gambling on random bundles. Disgraceful. 

This time last year there would be no worry because these missions would be directly grindable in scenarios. However WG stealth removed scenarios from the directive criteria during the tier 6 premium crate event. And never added them back. You can now only do these missions in random or coop except for the grind free xp/money missions. Quite frankly this is because WG hate PVE gameplay and want to remove it completely. Narai has been killed and now we just have the Tier 6 ops.

TL;DR

WG are slowly increasing the difficulty of the Directives by deceitful and indirect stealth tactics. Which I will list below

1. Removing tokens from hall of fame rewards

2. Removing tokens from sub directive rewards

3. By creating extreme difficulty sub directive missions I.e 3 dev strikes in 1 game

4. Forcing the player base to complete all daily missions (2-4 hours gameplay per day) to get the required amount.

5. Removing Scenarios from the completion criteria for missions (the most frustrating tactic to date)

6. By adding ridiculous pairings in directions criteria e.g (start 25 fires in DESTROYERS ONLY) so if you are a player with cruisers only you cannot advance

7. The rewards for completing a sub mission  of a directive are pathetic and not equitable to the effort required. One 50%XP flag for grinding 50k free xp?? WTF?

Over a period of 8 months WG have at least doubled the required effort and grind to achieve the same results. My predictions for the next year are that directives will be only complete able in random battles and in ships of tier 6+ to push more people into buying more expensive premiums. 

As a playerbase we must begin a campaign to stop this train before it gets any worse. We must rally together or WG will walk all over us and make us grind harder for much much less! :cap_horn::fish_panic:

• Cool 23

Players
2,920 posts
16,661 battles

I've been pointing out since CV rework a year ago, this game has turned into World of Grindships.

- Constant directives every patch, must complete to any significant rewards

- Daily grinding required for free powercreep items every second patch (legendary commanders, benham and culminating with PR), the other half being early access grinds 

- alternative to daily grind is pay €€€ for horrible a ship the reduce grind to every second day, nothing guaranteed.

Basically, for some reason, WG in 2019 decided they needed to change their monetization strategy and kill the "free" part of the game for anybody but hardcore grinders while dumbing down the gameplay at the same time. So I've closed my wallet apart from 5000 doubs already bought in 2019. No more ships or premium account. I'm playing CBs because i basically have every silver ship and i play ranked because I enjoy it. But f*ck the grinds, it kills my enjoyment.

2020 strategy seems to be make players "grind for free", eg do 100.000 bXP in british tier X CA and get 1 detonation flag as reward. It's so naked full tilt neuropsychology goal-driven BS it's insulting.

Best thing i ever did.

I found out I dont need any your grindy pixel sh*t, and I feel much happier for it.

• Cool 20

[SHAFT]
Players
9,890 posts
9,003 battles

How about not doing them?

Its like people whining about 70 million tanked damage during PR grind... yet, you didnt actually need to do it. And you dont need 3 devstrikes either. As you said yourself, you get 1 flag for it which is pretty useless.

That being said, im not defending WG for how they do missions/events/whatever these days, but you can just ignore those missions pretty much.

• Cool 13
  • Boring 1

[EUTF]
Players
151 posts
5,950 battles

Most of the time the hardness of mission depends on the final reward you will get.

Lately missions, if we exclude PR fiasco, arent that hard they are too grindy and force you to get an active subscription and use flags all the time to get missions completed on time if you are a normal person and have job/wife or kids and you cant afford to play 4h a day.

Commenting on the current one you only need 4 to progress which is nice except if you dont have a CV (which i dont) and makes you focus on another mission and to be honest they are some to help you

Directive1 : Destroy 17 ships #easy in coop
Directive2 : In 15 battles, join the top 5 in your team by base experience received # easy cause it work even in a loss so if you are a decent player its fine OR In ONE battle, earn 2,000 base XP #its okey if you get unlucky and dont stuck like me in weekend RNG looses
Directive3 : Destroy 24 enemy ships #Again easy in coop OR In ONE battle, earn 6,500 XP #easy again if you stuck some money flags cause its not a base xp mission
Directive4 : Receive 30,000,000 HP of potential damage #Quite easy of you play for some time cause it works on whatever you play when you finish the other 3 missions you want.

So yeah some missions are out of reach for some of us but not that super hard cored - I was planning to ignored this event but i found out that with some hours invested on saturday/sunday the missions will be copmleted and i can get the London in the final Directive.

The only annoying thing is the constant barrage of directives/missions and grind and grind with no stop at all from WG and the removal of scenarios from competition criteria and making rewards from missions quite crap - 1 flag as reward :crab:

• Cool 6

Players
2,106 posts
9,536 battles

Despite the fact that you don't need to do all missions and that the required ones are doable... the fact that all events/directives/missions are gradually getting more difficult remains. Additionally, the rewards are not greater so it's less and less worth wasting any time on most events nowadays.

I joined quite recently (just over a year) but back then WOWs was more relaxed. Nowadays, it's like you need to grind for something every single day. Yes, you can ignore all and play whatever you enjoy but that's not the point. Of course everyone would like to obtain some ships/captains/whatever but the way events are laid out makes them disgusting and not enjoyable at all.

WG stopped caring about players and their feedbacks. They just want to cash in no matter what, obviously ignoring the long-term effect of all BS they are pulling in the last few months.

• Cool 9

[L4GG]
Players
3,172 posts
10,741 battles
28 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

How about not doing them?

Its like people whining about 70 million tanked damage during PR grind... yet, you didnt actually need to do it. And you dont need 3 devstrikes either. As you said yourself, you get 1 flag for it which is pretty useless.

That being said, im not defending WG for how they do missions/events/whatever these days, but you can just ignore those missions pretty much.

This.

@Munchboii

Or pick the ones you can do  and focus on them. Don't get caught too much in the single mission rewards, there is a bigger picture, London can be enticing or not to you.

But yes, I noticed a difficulty increase between part I and Part II, maybe for being silver and lastly a premium ship.

At this moment I've got many things in my plate.

- I'm going towards Moskva (I've got until patch 0.9.3)

- I'm trying to get an additional 58 k on coal  (I've got until patch 0.9.3)

So my focus isn't quite on british part 2 but they are slowly being done and I'm not falling behind yet.

You can choose what grinds to do and what grinds to not do, you don't have to grind it all

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,853 posts
5,332 battles

Just have a couple of things to add to this.

Even discounting the "do (x) in one battle" missions AND  the CV missions both directives 3 and 4 have five missions you can do entirely in co op, not just the required four.

Just want to add that on a personal note the two directives have been very easy for me at least, and the remaining two don't look that much harder tbh, just might take a couple of days and that's about it.

• Cool 2

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,093 posts
5 hours ago, Munchboii said:

I am very concerned by the gradual increase in difficulty of directives and their respective missions. 

imho the current style of directives is a step forward. On the one hand you have very easy grind missions (that only take time) for the normal players, and on the other hand you have harder missions (that can be done very fast) for the skilled players. And since you need only 4 of 9 missions, you can ignore the hard mission completely...

And of course it is a big advantage that the rewards for the single missions are not much, so you aren't 'forced' to do all missions. Especially it is very good that there are no token rewards for the single missions...

• Cool 11

Players
10 posts

Thoughts are weird at wg. Take for example the daily missions, last 4 needs win to count so to secure them coop is more reliable way. To me at least.

If they like to push players to randoms, as i think they do, this isn't the way and if they get what they want (randoms being only playable mode) i'm out, no matter how much time or money invested. 

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

I wholeheartedly agree with the general trend, and especially the required daily attendance (because WG values a player that plays 7 hours a week way lower than one that plays 1hr a day). Idem for the meagre rewards for the missions.

However for this particular set of directives, you only have to complete 4 missions out of 9, so you can choose for which one you do. And the missions are fairly easy to complete bar one or two per stage. Especially if you saved up a bit on flags and camo’s.  

We’ve seen worse, way worse! This set of directives is honestly a bit of a relief and a breath of fresh air. I prefer these directives over the ones for Aboyneau/Kuznetsov/Benham all day. Not to mention Gorizia/PR.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,619 posts
24,088 battles

scrap directive events totally, make campaigns great again. at least with those it has been possible to just go for the final reward while not necessarily have to bother with missions one not was into....

2cts

• Cool 5

[LUZ1]
Players
680 posts
11,640 battles

I sincerely recommend every player to stop blindly grinding what WG throws at you. And to buy any ship for rediculous amounts of money. You have to set yourself a strategy that inoculates you against the money grab and grind madness or you will not enjoy this game.

Me, I spend zero money and just grind what is doable in an enjoyable way. Although the enjoyable bit is highly dependent on the RNG MM and the rubbish skill of average players these days.

• Cool 2

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,093 posts
5 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

scrap directive events totally, make campaigns great again.

sure, remove something very good to bring back something annoying...the possibilty to have progress in theoretically all (directive) missions at the same time is a much bigger advantage than the possibilty to repeat (campaign) missions. And of course in directives all missions have the same 'value', not like in campaigns, where the easier missions give much less stars, making the grind for normal players in directives much more comfortable than in campaigns

unfortunately we will see another campaign in the (near) future :Smile_facepalm:...

• Bad 2

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,619 posts
24,088 battles
12 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

sure, remove something very good to bring back something annoying...the possibilty to have progress in theoretically all (directive) missions at the same time is a much bigger advantage than the possibilty to repeat (campaign) missions. And of course in directives all missions have the same 'value', not like in campaigns, where the easier missions give much less stars, making the grind for normal players in directives much more comfortable than in campaigns

unfortunately we will see another campaign in the (near) future :Smile_facepalm:...

matter of perspective pretty much?!....

in campaigns at least it was possible to simply advance no matter all the requirements for different missions.... wann be a tryhard? fine, then go for em all so to say. dont want to? simply slot the xp missions on and on and just play without the need to check for ships, fires, hits....

like re-slotting ever been a problem or made progress slower........ it did not! one was simply left with the choice to get the other rewards or not. now it's forced.

u know, there's so much complain about missions design, requirements and impact on random matches. like usn bb's shooting HE allalong just to get those missions done. and u now even take this force-on design over a pretty open and way more casual friendly, just as "random" friendly design.

that's ur opinion, def'o not mine! :Smile_great:

really.... "very good"..... imho exactly that: NOT! it's rubbish and a backstep...

Players
1,737 posts
18,657 battles

It is a concerning trend that they keep making the grinds more time gated.

However what really does bother me is that for the upcoming European (Swedish and friend) DDs is that the directives will reward crates which contain a "random" number of tokens. So whilst now with the British cruiser event we can calculate how many days we need to play etc for the next event no such certainty. 

Honestly though it does come down to the player, I took a look at the PR grind and just decided nope, it wasn't a good investment of my time and money, and all but ignored the game over Christmas. Still enough people did feel it was a worthwhile investment and WG will have seen whilst we might complain enough people still invested in the PR to justify WG doing such grinds again. 

• Cool 4

[UK-RN]
Players
102 posts
2,929 battles

Most of the feedback to my post seem to be related to :

"Yeah its concerning BUTTT its optional because its only 4 out of 9 missions. So thats fine"

Well let me tell you that this attitude will make WG push us further and further into grind. I can guarantee that at some point in the future that WG will make a directive with equally difficult missions but increase the amount required to progress. This month's we have 4, but in 4 months it may be pushed to 5. Then after another 4 months it could go to 6 out of 9. 

If you give WG and inch they will push you a mile. We need to stop this "but its only 4 out of 9" attitude ASAP.  

• Cool 2

Players
4,495 posts
7,604 battles
9 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Basically, for some reason, WG in 2019 decided they needed to change their monetization strategy and kill the "free" part of the game for anybody but hardcore grinders while dumbing

They've been ramping it up for a couple of years now, the DoY event at the end of 2017 was when it started to become obvious plus things like reduced rewards from April fools and Halloween events.

It's where we are in the game's life-cycle, 2015-2017 was launch and growth, once the game matured the focus stopped being about delivering a fun and enjoyable game and instead became about extracting as much revenue as possible over the remainder of the game's life.

How much longer has the game got?  I don't know, maybe towards the end of next year there won't be a whole lot left.

• Cool 3

[SHAFT]
Players
9,890 posts
9,003 battles
10 minutes ago, Munchboii said:

Most of the feedback to my post seem to be related to :

"Yeah its concerning BUTTT its optional because its only 4 out of 9 missions. So thats fine"

Well let me tell you that this attitude will make WG push us further and further into grind. I can guarantee that at some point in the future that WG will make a directive with equally difficult missions but increase the amount required to progress. This month's we have 4, but in 4 months it may be pushed to 5. Then after another 4 months it could go to 6 out of 9. 

If you give WG and inch they will push you a mile. We need to stop this "but its only 4 out of 9" attitude ASAP.  

If they wanna do it, they gonna do it.

Nothing you can change about that. Currently, they have the "excuse" that you dont have to do them. If you fear, that they will change that, then it still wont change their behaviour. You can only stop spending money on wows or quit for good. Thats the only 2 options they might listen to: Direct impact on their income.

[OCTO]
Players
1,197 posts
26,319 battles
1 hour ago, MrWastee said:

scrap directive events totally, make campaigns great again. at least with those it has been possible to just go for the final reward while not necessarily have to bother with missions one not was into....

2cts

That would be the right thing to do, sadly it doesn't make money for WG, therefore,:  Nope (TM)

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,619 posts
24,088 battles
13 minutes ago, Zen71_sniper said:

That would be the right thing to do, sadly it doesn't make money for WG, therefore,:  Nope (TM)

yep. what they just do not get is: what is good for them and demanding from the player not necessarily is good for the game. just as the other way round... it's about the balance! and we all do know how they do spell that, dah? :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[OCTO]
Players
1,197 posts
26,319 battles
2 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

yep. what they just do not get it is: what is good for them and demanding from the player not necessarilyis good for the game. just as the other way round... it's about the balance! and we all do know how they do spell that, dah? :Smile_sceptic:

Da товарищ!!

Баланс!! 

Balance is good - the greater the better. As in balance in WG bank's account.... 

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Players
463 posts
7,372 battles

You only have to complete 4 of the missions. It's not that hard to be honest. And the reward this patch are a ship and a new OP commander. So it's logical the missions are a little harder.

However, i do agree it sucks that every patch you need to be playing or you will be missing out OP stuff. If you want it after, like the commanders, you have to buy them for 175k coal. That is a rediculous price for a commander to be honest!

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,619 posts
24,088 battles
3 minutes ago, TheBrut3 said:

You only have to complete 4 of the missions. It's not that hard to be honest. And the reward this patch are a ship and a new OP commander. So it's logical the missions are a little harder.

However, i do agree it sucks that every patch you need to be playing or you will be missing out OP stuff. If you want it after, like the commanders, you have to buy them for 175k coal. That is a rediculous price for a commander to be honest!

did buy all the speshul commanders (not the historical ones) for dubs. won't buy a 175k coal commander ever, nor am i going for the stupid event grinds on em. if i get em, nice. if not lol, woat gives..... gib like 50% coupons on em and i might rethink. for dubs they already would be in my inventory and this post non existant

[BS4]
Players
1,295 posts
7,280 battles
39 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

It is a concerning trend that they keep making the grinds more time gated.

it wasn't a good investment of my time and money, 

This is my problem although i appreciate not everyone is the same. For me its about Time itself. Since the missions have become harder and more grindy it takes more time and I don't have MORE time to dedicate to wows.. So naturally I feel a little excluded/disappointed and have ended up spending LESS time than I used to ...along with ... 

8 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

It's where we are in the game's life-cycle, 2015-2017 was launch and growth, once the game matured the focus stopped being about delivering a fun and enjoyable game and instead became about extracting as much revenue as possible over the remainder of the game's life.

This.....

It always makes me laugh a little  when a company or idea focuses on fun and engaging game play or a general GOOD experience and rakes in a ton of cash as a result. Motivated by their new bank balance they go to improve on the original because they want more money only to do a poorer job and ern less. Simply because money is the priority now (increasing profit margins) not fun and not their customers experience and then they actually sit around scratching their heads going "...so where did we go wrong then?":fish_palm:

Don't get me wrong its not an easy thing to do by no means in buisness because the more and more apples you add to the cart eventually you can get to a point of....

VH0qmoc.jpg

Its what you do after this and how you treat you customers who got you successful in the first place that usually makes or breaks a thing/company/idea.

• Cool 2

Players
95 posts
7,670 battles

These directives are easy compared to the PR event.  For those who don't have the time to do them and feel disadvantaged, removing them would disadvantage those that enjoy them and do have the time. Either way someone loses.  Just play to enjoy, and if you get the ship great.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 2