You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

Is it me or the "Torpedo Target Predictor" is very wrong (sometimes even a ship length) at short ranges since the last patch?

33 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,373 posts
20,425 battles

Hi all,

Is it me or the "Torpedo Target Predictor" is very wrong (sometimes even a ship length) at short ranges since the last patch?

I was playing a lot of CoOp games today doing various Directives and Missions and I noticed in several games that the "Torpedo Target Predictor" is very wrong (sometimes even a ship length) at short ranges - I had to aim when my mind was telling me and not where the aim was telling me.... it was with my "Tirpitz" and with my cruisers and destroyers... very very strange indeed... :Smile_amazed:

Has anyone else noticed this as well?

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,373 posts
20,425 battles

HI all,

1 minute ago, Sargento_YO said:

Any possibility of having lag when that happened?

No... I am running the PINGPlotter all the time I play WoWs ever since I had constant random disconnects... during 4+ hours I played today I had 1 disconnect that lasted 30 seconds and all other time the PING was excellent at 25-35 ms (100% steady)...

Leo "Apollo11"

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester
246 posts

I don't think anything changed. It's all about bot mechanics and exploiting them. In short: Bots usually turn towards their closest target (even when it's not visible) and they never seem to go at full speed. Either take that into account, launch from short distances (2-3 km) or make them coming around an island on the side you want and consequently deny that area.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,373 posts
20,425 battles

HI all,

33 minutes ago, Benaulim said:

I don't think anything changed. It's all about bot mechanics and exploiting them. In short: Bots usually turn towards their closest target (even when it's not visible) and they never seem to go at full speed. Either take that into account, launch from short distances (2-3 km) or make them coming around an island on the side you want and consequently deny that area.

Since my post was about extremely close range encounters - around 1-2km distances - there was simply no time for elaborate BOT torpedo avoidance and yet the "Torpedo Target Predictor" was erroneous even by full ship length... very strange indeed...

Leo "Apollo11"

Weekend Tester
884 posts
10,611 battles

The bots cheat like heck anyway, so it wouldn't surprise me if a few things had been tweaked to make them less vulnerable.

The bots do seem to vary their speed a lot now. I suppose its possible that they are now programmed to make constant changes in speed, which would of course have the knock-on effect of throwing off the torpedo target predictor - as happens with human players.

• Cool 1

Players
2,733 posts
21,065 battles

I think it's just the bots, they seem to know when you launch torps but a good trick is to use the prediction line then Unselect the target ship but launch the torps down the previous line of bearing. The bots don't seem to get the prior warning of the torps that way.

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
8,230 posts
6 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

I was playing a lot of CoOp games today doing various Directives and Missions and I noticed in several games that the "Torpedo Target Predictor" is very wrong (sometimes even a ship length) at short ranges - I had to aim when my mind was telling me and not where the aim was telling me.... it was with my "Tirpitz" and with my cruisers and destroyers... very very strange indeed... :Smile_amazed:

Leo "Apollo11"

Do you run the new torp speed module or cap speed skill?

Although its probably just bots using the force

[-IAN-]
Players
2,043 posts
6,904 battles

I've not noticed anything as drastic as a ship-length error and I've been doing a whole heap of 1-3km torping over the past few weeks in Co-Op (bloody directives).

Players
3,116 posts

bots do stop now if take dmg in operations, and do some newly introduced stuff I slowly memorize and decode. Its not a bug imo at least ops have been tingered wit. Nothing appears in code without human intervention and this is very specific. To name one, the Myoko of the last wave in current op, stops and reverses and then proceeds to attack. It comes to an almost complete stop from full speed before entering the area where usually torps are waiting. If its its a bug then it did improve the AI lol :D 

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
6,102 posts
6,576 battles
10 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Nope, not as far as I have noticed. Although the bots are just as good at dodging as ever..

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,373 posts
20,425 battles

Hi all,

8 hours ago, Yedwy said:

Do you run the new torp speed module or cap speed skill?

Although its probably just bots using the force

I am... that crossed my mind as well...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

It does seem very temperamental especially when a group of sheep  are together, today I faced 3 sheep but only 1 torp path, yesterday I faced 2 sheep and again only 1 path which is bbbbaaaahhhd, so I had to guesstimate.

Bots have also got very wise to torps they can be 5+ km away (beyond torp detection range), and yet turn a milli-second after torps have been launched, and yet within 3km they don’t bother ????. 

Players
1,178 posts
3,828 battles
12 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

It does seem very temperamental especially when a group of sheep  are together, today I faced 3 sheep but only 1 torp path, yesterday I faced 2 sheep and again only 1 path which is bbbbaaaahhhd, so I had to guesstimate.

Bots have also got very wise to torps they can be 5+ km away (beyond torp detection range), and yet turn a milli-second after torps have been launched, and yet within 3km they don’t bother ????. 

It's bots.

Game developers usually don't put much resources into developing bot AI which would react to battle information and events and compensate with giving them "unfair" advantages the normal player doesn't have.

It's the same in all games vs. AI.

They see your hidden moves, they know when they are spotted, they know the composition of your troops, they get free units they could never have produced with their resources, all AI players are always allied against you, etc.

[NWP]
Players
1,600 posts
13,227 battles
On 2/23/2020 at 2:35 AM, lovelacebeer said:

The bots don't seem to get the prior warning of the torps that way.

Hmmm....

[NHSOS]
[NHSOS]
Players
126 posts
4,111 battles

yesterday your pc receive a major update. that takes your bandwidth some moments

I have the same problem, even in port changing captain, so I look at updates...

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester
246 posts

As I said bots turn towards their closest target meaning they slow down and therefore turn even faster, especially the fast and maneuverable among them. Infact when you watch closely you'll often notice two bot destroyers coming to a full stop within seconds when passing each other (read missing the ram). I quite don't see any issue here. It's a matter of predictable game mechanics wether you ambush from cover or rush in open waters and your torpedoes will most likely miss if you ignore them.

[PIKES]
Players
546 posts
12,743 battles
On 2/22/2020 at 4:22 PM, Leo_Apollo11 said:

HI all,

No... I am running the PINGPlotter all the time I play WoWs ever since I had constant random disconnects... during 4+ hours I played today I had 1 disconnect that lasted 30 seconds and all other time the PING was excellent at 25-35 ms (100% steady)...

Leo "Apollo11"

And how were you FPS in your computer? I have troubles when below 15 FPS  :Smile_child:

Players
2,569 posts
On 2/22/2020 at 4:17 PM, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

I tell you what I have noticed as a DD main...

Yes the predictor is wrong but you should never fully rely on it in my opinion but it seems way off now.

It is now nigh on impossible to get a flood... 13 Torpedo hits last night in a Shimakaze and not one flood even with the +15% flood chance.... I haven't had a Liquidator in months.... I mean a Torpedo hits and ship and explodes (Or at least that's what happens in real life)

Some real cry babies in this game to whom WG pander and they have as mentioned above virtually killed off the DD game.

• Cool 2

[PIKES]
Players
546 posts
12,743 battles
5 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I tell you what I have noticed as a DD main...

Yes the predictor is wrong but you should never fully rely on it in my opinion but it seems way off now.

It is now nigh on impossible to get a flood... 13 Torpedo hits last night in a Shimakaze and not one flood even with the +15% flood chance.... I haven't had a Liquidator in months.... I mean a Torpedo hits and ship and explodes (Or at least that's what happens in real life)

Some real cry babies in this game to whom WG pander and they have as mentioned above virtually killed off the DD game.

Try to check the alvos you are selecting. There are many ships with torpedo protection, 20 % reduction torp damage. This could help to know what is happening.

Players
2,569 posts
Just now, neorvo said:

Try to check the alvos you are selecting. There are many ships with torpedo protection, 20 % reduction torp damage. This could help to know what is happening.

This isn't just happening in one game with a single DD... This is across the board.... I don't even bother with Juliet Whiskey anymore because it does nothing...

I have almost every DD from tier 5 to Tier 10...

The 7th of January 2019 was the last time I earned the Liquidator....

Screenshot (29).png

• Cool 2

Players
2,147 posts
16,450 battles
10 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

This isn't just happening in one game with a single DD... This is across the board.... I don't even bother with Juliet Whiskey anymore because it does nothing...

I have almost every DD from tier 5 to Tier 10...

The 7th of January 2019 was the last time I earned the Liquidator....

Screenshot (29).png

Liquidators are almost impossible ever since they nerfed floodings (and had the nerve to claim it's actually a buff cuz hurr durr you can get two of them now simultaneously). You'll literally get Solo Warrior more often than Liquidator now. Because that makes sense in the magical land of Balans they seem to live in.

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,373 posts
20,425 battles

Hi all,

48 minutes ago, neorvo said:

And how were you FPS in your computer? I have troubles when below 15 FPS  :Smile_child:

I have HighEnd PC... I have hard-capped FPS to 120 FPS since my monitor refresh rate is 60 Hz and that is exactly 2x the number... so... my FPS is 100% above 100 FPS...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1